• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who has left a comment with the FCC about net neutrality? its easy link inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatti-man

http://www.fcc.gov/comments

It's easy and takes two minutes. I was surprised to see only 48k comments when I logged in. Normally I don't get too active about things but this strikes at my very core about the future of our country and freedoms. The Internet is our last truly free place. Please post a comment rejecting the two tier system and asking to change all ISPs to Title 2 carriers. Protect our internet!

terrisus

So, what are the chances that leaving a comment on this results in your ISP capping you/reducing your bandwidth?

gatti-man

Awesome! If you can post on your Facebook or wherever online. We have to get people to really push back against this and it's so easy to do so.

So, what are the chances that leaving a comment on this results in your ISP capping you/reducing your bandwidth?

lol none.

I think it's funny you thought 40 some thousand was really low and I scroll down and there is a hell of a lot of super important stuff on that page that has like 20 comments.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I sent them an email 2-3 weeks ago, right when they started accepting comments. This is what I got in return a couple weeks later:

Thank you very much for contacting us about the ongoing Open Internet proceeding. We're hoping to hear from as many people as possible about this critical issue, and so I'm very glad that we can include your thoughts and opinions.

I'm a strong supporter of the Open Internet, and I will fight to keep the internet open. Thanks again for sharing your views with me.

Tom Wheeler
Chairman
Federal Communications Commission

gatti-man

I think it's funny you thought 40 some thousand was really low and I scroll down and there is a hell of a lot of super important stuff on that page that has like 20 comments.

Yes you are right but this strikes at the very core of a free internet. There are millions of people who practically live on the internet. I think people would comment if they realized it takes no time at all. Just get the word out and hopefully we stop this before it starts.

You should give us a statement to post as well.
"ISPs should be classified as Title II common carriers."

or "common carriers under title II"

And then add some stuff as to how much monopolies and duopolies suck, that you don't want to pay an extra $20 for the online gaming tier, and that you don't have real competition in your area because infrastructure costs make it a non-starter for new ISPs to sprout up.

e: Maybe sprinkle in how it's "surprising" that both the people who sell service to the ISPs (Cogent, Level 3) and known big customers of the ISPs (Google, Netflix) are also in favor of the net neutrality which title II classification would provide. It's almost as if killing net neutrality would only benefit the big ISPs!

"ISPs should be classified as Title II common carriers."

or "common carriers under title II"

And then add some stuff as to how much monopolies and duopolies suck, that you don't want to pay an extra $20 for the online gaming tier, and that you don't have real competition in your area because infrastructure costs make it a non-starter for new ISPs to sprout up.

e: Maybe sprinkle in how it's "surprising" that both the people who sell service to the ISPs (Cogent, Level 3) and known big customers of the ISPs (Google, Netflix) are also in favor of the net neutrality which title II classification would provide. It's almost as if killing net neutrality would only benefit the big ISPs!

I feel that plan is against net neutrality. Also classify all ISPs as title 2 carriers. Protect and promote a free Internet for all.

Thank you.

gatti-man

Anytime. It's bad enough there is practically zero competition between ISPs as is and now they are trying to just piss all over everything. Comcast is just a piece of crap company all around and are leading the way with Verizon and twc right behind them.

kirby_fox

Banned
Yep, sent them one when I first saw they were taking them and got a form letter back. It sounded as though they were in favor of net neutrality.

I also had to explain what it was to a co-worker and a guy who worked at Verizon. The Verizon guy had no idea what it was and why I wasn't sure if I was sticking with the company...actually, it sounded like he was all for getting rid of it so his Netflix loaded faster...

I'm sure I sounded like a crazy person...but someone has to get the word out.

gatti-man

Yep, sent them one when I first saw they were taking them and got a form letter back. It sounded as though they were in favor of net neutrality.

I also had to explain what it was to a co-worker and a guy who worked at Verizon. The Verizon guy had no idea what it was and why I wasn't sure if I was sticking with the company...actually, it sounded like he was all for getting rid of it so his Netflix loaded faster...

I'm sure I sounded like a crazy person...but someone has to get the word out.

People should be angry. It's a joke that an ex Comcast lobbyist heads up the FCC. That's like the CEO of Bank of America running the federal reserve. It's ridiculous and mind numbingly stupid.

Nobody is reading those comments

The response from when I sent an email directly to Tom Wheeler: "Thank you very much for contacting us about the ongoing Open Internet proceeding. We're hoping to hear from as many people as possible about this critical issue, and so I'm very glad that we can include your thoughts and opinions.

I'm a strong supporter of the Open Internet, and I will fight to keep the internet open. Thanks again for sharing your views with me.

Tom Wheeler
Chairman
Federal Communications Commission"

Also received similar responses from the 4 other commissioners as well.

Might as well try to make a difference, I would rather lose while trying versus just quietly
dying off in a losers hole.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The response from when I sent an email directly to Tom Wheeler: "Thank you very much for contacting us about the ongoing Open Internet proceeding. We're hoping to hear from as many people as possible about this critical issue, and so I'm very glad that we can include your thoughts and opinions.

Tom Wheeler
Chairman
Federal Communications Commission"

Also received similar responses from the 4 other commissioners as well.

Might as well try to make a difference, I would rather lose while trying versus just quietly
dying off in a losers hole.
read my post.

VariantX

Glad you posted this link OP. I'll definately write a comment right now. I can hold off sleep for another 5-6 minutes.

deadlast

I left mine. I made sure to use the word America, a lot.

They ask for your name and address. so anyone with a name and address can leave a comment.

Here is what I wrote. Use what you want out of it.

ISPs should be classified as Title II common carriers.

I am surprised the country that invented the internet is allowing ISPs to act as monopolies and prevent innovation. I'm not the only one who is surprised either. Major American Corporations, such as Google and Netflix, are surprised that ISPs are not classified as Title II common carriers.

I understand the need to make money as a business, but it should never come at the expense of the people of this great nation. ISPs prevent Americans from having a choice. How many Americans can choose between Comcast and Time Warner? We should be able to have a choice between providers, but all we are only given the choice of which tier of service we can afford. For the majority of Americans, if we don't like our choices; well we are just out of luck. Does making the America a better place for businesses really serve the people of this country?

The only way the FCC can serve the people of this country is to classify ISPs as Title II common carriers. This is the only prevent innovation from being stifled and to truly serve the People of America.

gatti-man

I left mine. I made sure to use the word America, a lot.

They ask for your name and address. so anyone with a name and address can leave a comment.

Here is what I wrote. Use what you want out of it.

ISPs should be classified as Title II common carriers.

I am surprised the country that invented the internet is allowing ISPs to act as monopolies and prevent innovation. I'm not the only one who is surprised either. Major American Corporations, such as Google and Netflix, are surprised that ISPs are not classified as Title II common carriers.

I understand the need to make money as a business, but it should never come at the expense of the people of this great nation. ISPs prevent Americans from having a choice. How many Americans can choose between Comcast and Time Warner? We should be able to have a choice between providers, but all we are only given the choice of which tier of service we can afford. For the majority of Americans, if we don't like our choices; well we are just out of luck. Does making the America a better place for businesses really serve the people of this country?

The only way the FCC can serve the people of this country is to classify ISPs as Title II common carriers. This is the only prevent innovation from being stifled and to truly serve the People of America.

That's awesome!

They fucked up my comment...it's kinda long tho I guess (there's no char limit). Here's what I typed:

I understand the nature of these proceedings and the possibility that in all likelihood what we have to say on the matter may not be weighed with much gravity. However, for a moment I would like to address your supposed "reasoning" for doing away with net neutrality. According to your ranks, this reversal comes about to put an end to the act of ISP providers intentionally bottle-necking their own services and content to customers. I point to the infamous Comcast/Netflix fiasco as a prime example.

While I agree ISPs should not be allowed to conduct these kinds of practices, it does not mean we citizens must suffer the consequences for their wrongdoing. Disposing of net neutrality will only ensure these practices continue, and operate under an unofficial veil of transparent support from a government agency.

Rather than encouraging them, you should be setting an example of good and ethically just policy declaration for your country and all nations globally, and institute a fining policy for all ISP providers that intentionally bottleneck content providers for no apparent reason. Isolated incidents of bottle-necking should not be used as fuel for disengaging a rational, logical, and common sense approach to handling the speed and flow of data on the internet, an approach that was designed with the consumer in mind first and farmost.

It is illogical and shameful to punish consumers for the bad habits of corporations; it solves absolutely nothing and continues to let the real problems, such as lack of sufficient infrastructure, continue to linger. All the while, America as a nation continues to fall behind the curve of other developed and developing nations on broadband network service, giving other nations opportunities to empower their citizens and work-base. That itself is not a bad thing, but it is an atrocity that there are political and corporate interests in this country that continue to keep Americans from being given these same tools.

Preserve net neutrality, and focus on improving the broadband infrastructure of this nation. It has helped the internet become an incredible tool at our disposal, and allowing us-and by extension America-benefit in all sectors of culture and economics. It has helped to set an example for regulation of data flow that is now being implemented in other nations across the world, but-almost as a joke-looks to be abandoned in the land such regulations originated.

The death of net neutrality will negatively affect citizen communication, consumer spending, business productivity and even corporate investment in this nation. For such reasons, we urge you to look within your hearts and consider the damages you could bring for decades to come by taking the wrong path.

gatti-man

Damn that's a long post. If this goes through it will be really tough to change. Also the fact that Obama has stayed out of it is incredibly telling of how sold out and for sale he is. Seems like hope was a long long time ago.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just left a comment, thanks for the link.

Incredibly disappointed with this administration for sitting on their hands and looking the other way regarding this issue. Especially since using an open Internet for mass communication and mobilization of the voter base was integral to the Obama campaign and transformed how political campaigns would utilize the Internet forever. The way things are going, ISPs will likely be able to lock consumers into seeing specific advertisements and websites, thus influencing the media they are exposed to and the ability to access neutral sources of information regarding candidates. It will basically become just like television in that respect.

gatti-man

Just left a comment, thanks for the link.

Incredibly disappointed with this administration for sitting on their hands and looking the other way regarding this issue. Especially since using an open Internet for mass communication and mobilization of the voter base was integral to the Obama campaign and transformed how political campaigns would utilize the Internet forever. The way things are going, ISPs will likely be able to lock consumers into seeing specific advertisements and websites, thus influencing the media they are exposed to and the ability to access neutral sources of information regarding candidates. It will basically become just like television in that respect.
Which is why we all need to fight. Thanks for doing your part.

Jhoan

Way ahead of you OP; I left one about 2-3 weeks ago. I forgot what I wrote but I gave them a piece of my mind and mentioned the importance of a free and open Internet as well as that they need to acknowledge the Internet as a medium ala the TV and radio. Will dig it up later.

genjiZERO

To be perfectly honest, I don't do these things because I don't want to be on a NSA list somewhere. That's probably paranoid, and yes, I know it means democracy has lost, but I don't really think it matters anyway, because even if that wasn't the case, I don't think the government cares what the people think. It's probably more efficient to send your letters to Google.

gatti-man

To be perfectly honest, I don't do these things because I don't want to be on a NSA list somewhere. That's probably paranoid, and yes, I know it means democracy has lost, but I don't really think it matters anyway, because even if that wasn't the case, I don't think the government cares what the people think. It's probably more efficient to send your letters to Google.

This is the saddest and most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Rolling over for big corporations is what got us here and so you are just going to keep doing it? Brilliant. Google has already voiced it's concern and displeasure about this, expecting them to be your white knight is dumb. Google tracks you more than the NSA for one lol.

genjiZERO

This is the saddest and most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Rolling over for big corporations is what got us here and so you are just going to keep doing it? Brilliant. Google has already voiced it's concern and displeasure about this, expecting them to be your white knight is dumb. Google tracks you more than the NSA for one lol.

I actually think it's plain corporatism in general that got us into the situation we're in now, not apathy or fear on the part of the populace. There was nothing we ever could have done to stop it, and I don't think there is anything we can do about it now.

I didn't say it would work. I just don't think signing a petition online does anything other than giving the government statistical data about you.

True, but at this point, I trust Google more than I trust the government. Also, I was just using that as an example to illustrate my belief that the only way to get things done when the government is concerned is to get corporate "people" to do things for you.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I did.

I feel like it's pointless, though. Wheeler is going to just ignore all of the comments for a payday. That line about him supporting the open Internet in his response is such slap-in-the-face bullshit.

gatti-man

I actually think it's plain corporatism in general that got us into the situation we're in now, not apathy or fear on the part of the populace. There was nothing we ever could have done to stop it, and I don't think there is anything we can do about it now.

I didn't say it would work. I just don't think signing a petition online does anything other than giving the government statistical data about you.

True, but at this point, I trust Google more than I trust the government. Also, I was just using that as an example to illustrate my belief that the only way to get things done when the government is concerned is to get corporate "people" to do things for you.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Why on earth do you think Google has more power than comcast? This isn't an online petition this is speaking directly to the FCC who makes policy. We all have a vote and a say in the way this country moves and flows. And yes we all can stop this if we actually do something.

You're wrong right now. Google exists to make money. Yes they are nicer than comcast but Google still is a company that takes profit and makes a portion of its money on tracking you and trying to sell you things. It isn't some glorious well intended entity. You are the only way you can affect change that you personally believe in. By feeling the way you feel you make yourself powerless.

I did.

I feel like it's pointless, though. Wheeler is going to just ignore all of the comments for a payday. That line about him supporting the open Internet in his response is such slap-in-the-face bullshit.

It's only pointless if a few people do it. You all sound like those people who said sony would never listen to people saying no to DRM on twitter. Yet they do listen if the voice is loud enough. Because if that many people are paying attention they will fear the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom