• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Yesterday I Was Given the Key to My City

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's awesome and well-deserved. Please tell me the key is actually chocolate wrapped in gold foil.

Altazor

Congratulations, man! You're awesome, and I'm pretty sure your brother would be proud of you.

Threads (and stories) like these are a shining light amidst all those depressing threads we've had during the week.

ZaCH3000

Sorry, guys! I see someone has come to the rescue. Basically, my brother passed away in July and the last thing in his will asked that we go to dinner and leave and awesome (not 25% but $500 on pizza) tip for a waiter or waitress. We did it expecting it to only happen once, and I put it on YouTube to share with family (they had sent money to help).

The video went viral and people donated tons of money, so now every week I surprise a waiter or waitress with a $500 tip.

That's you?? You are a legend man. Keep it up. What you are doing is truly inspiring and I applaud you and your family for following through!

Seth C

That's you?? You are a legend man. Keep it up. What you are doing is truly inspiring and I applaud you and your family for following through!

Thank you! I also just realized yesterday that the 50th $500 tip will fall on the week of my brother's birthday, which is pretty cool.

Sober

That is really cool man, congrats! Now we have a true GAF legend. And how the hell does Feep get to be everywhere? Feeeeeeeep!

Seth C

That is really cool man, congrats! Now we have a true GAF legend. And how the hell does Feep get to be everywhere? Feeeeeeeep!

Feep and I go back, before he was famous, when we were just two dudes partying with Ari's daughter from Entourage.

Kawl_USC

You are an awesome dude. Carrying on your brother's memory in this way is nothing short of spectacular. Keep doing what you are doing man. Fucking awesome.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Dude something so wonderful came out of the tragedy... this entire legacy you've left for your brother is magical. Proud of you dude.

Shaneus

At first, I saw this thread and started reading, and it was starting to sound like a theme park thing where you get your photo and a "certificate", but then I remembered your story. Congratulations, you deserve it! Your brother would be proud of his legacy :)

That's the girl who received the first tip, me, Serena (the 42nd), GAF's own Jason Wishnov (of Sequence and There Came and Echo fame), and my mom.
I was gonna say... hey, that looks like Feep!

whitehawk

Banned
Congratulations! Obviously it is a result of unfortunate circumstances, but I'm jealous that you got to meet Jeff Probst. One of the few celebs I really look up to. I'll be sure to watch the episode. So great that he's recognizing this amazing journey you've been on for the memory of your brother.

As a former Lexington resident, I have to say it's pretty cool to know of you even though we didn't get around to meeting. Awesome stuff bro.

Feep and I go back, before he was famous, when we were just two dudes partying with Ari's daughter from Entourage.

lol, what the hell was I doing while I lived in Lexington

Dyno

What a great story!

Do you now see the power of tipping, tipless GAF? A KEY TO THE CITY! I consider this matter utterly and completely closed.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
In England I remember someone getting a Key and it allowed the to raise sheep on public parklands.

If i were you id consider asking around because thats a type of perk you dont want to miss out on.

Does the key actually do anything or is it purely symbolic?

episode-30-part-1-dougs-career-anxiety

Seth C

How's your tipping around the country doing? You haven't given us any update on this front.

Nothing to update really. Obviously the Indiegogo campaign didn't reach its goal, so I've been pursuing sponsorship from local businesses. I've had two meetings with a potentially large sponsor, but nothing is finalized. I'll find a way to make it happen, even if I just have to hitchhike and sleep in parks.

NinjaBoiX

Wow Seth, that was a really cool thing you did.

Having said that, despite you deserving recognition, I fucking hate bullshit like "keys to the city". It doesn't mean anything. It's empty pomp and ceremony.

But congrats though, seriously. You deserve something more substantial than some vacuous ceremony where they hand you a fake gold key.

Edit: the key, not the gold!

Link

The Autumn Wind
I assumed it was because your bar tab is large enough to cover the town's operational costs every month.

Congrats, man.

It is indeed! We've been friends for a while, and he was generous enough to offer to match the $500 tip, so when I'm back in town for E3 he will be using his own money to surprise someone with $500 for my brother. And he made that offer long before his latest successful Kickstarter campaign.
You are awesome. Feep is awesome. GAF is awesome. This and other news at 11

Feep

Banned
(laugh) How did I miss this thread?

Congratulations to Seth for being awesome and LITERALLY GETTING A KEY TO A CITY. I mean, that's some superhero shit right there.

Also, being there for one of the tips was pretty amazing. Excited to give my own during E3. = D

Kammie

I recognized the waitress from the pic.

Very nice! Congrats, and keep it up. I'm really glad something positive came out of this for you guys.

Ashodin

(laugh) How did I miss this thread?

Congratulations to Seth for being awesome and LITERALLY GETTING A KEY TO A CITY. I mean, that's some superhero shit right there.

Also, being there for one of the tips was pretty amazing. Excited to give my own during E3. = D

Tips, tips for everyone!

Bergsy

Congrats man, I'm not even allowed the key to my own house and I'm 29.

Always wondered about keys to the city, I wonder what they open lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom