• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you old geezers on gaf. What the **** was up with the shoulder pads in the 80s?!

Blade2.0

Why make a thread just to announce you have no tase?
Yea, it's fucking me with the bad taste...

Nah, it's all of you that had to breathe the leaded gasoline as kids with the bad taste
zWf6Q1G.jpg

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Every decade looks ridiculous to the next. Back when I was in high school it was Hollister, American Eagle, Doc Martins, fur lined hoodies, and popped collars.

We looked like fucking douchebags.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Every decade looks ridiculous to the next. Back when I was in high school it was Hollister, American Eagle, Doc Martins, fur lined hoodies, and popped collars.

We looked like fucking douchebags.
We were dressed by adults that couldn't properly dress themselves. What did you expect?!

Locutus

So, I was born in 1987 and I never understood it. It looked terrible, honestly that whole decade looked like ass. Every woman and man (at least in the states) with garbage hairstyles, gaudy fashion sense and shoulder pads every where. Why? Someone tell me why.
80s fashion was straight trash. Nearly everything about it was terrible.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
80s fashion was straight trash. Nearly everything about it was terrible.
I don't know. It had it's moments.

EDIT: Okay so I was going to post some hot ass examples of 80's fashion working wonders on women and men alike because I have fucking SEEN them, but thanks to the hellscape that is Instagram and TikTok along with the shit ass google algorithm that gives what is popular instead of WHAT YOU FUCKING ASKED FOR I just get random internet whores (both men and women) in the search results trying to pretend they give a damn about the aesthetic mixed in with random off angle shots of what is clearly vintage 80's photos, but is NOT what I asked for.

God damn it I just want pictures of vintage 80's models and shit Google. Give me the 80's workout clothes and the ridiculous tight jeans and cutoff tops. Not Sarah and Kevin who like TOTALLY just wanna pop off and look lit in their made up costumes so their simp followers can "like comment and subscribe"!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

The only valid shoulder pads consist in you having a motorcycle with at least 100hp and a bicker jacket with shoulder protection.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I thought 80s fashion had a lot of character and was a lot of fun. I know my moms clothes had shoulder pads but I never paid attention to them.

The company I work for now the CEO still wears ladies business suits with huge shoulder pads.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"
sign language alzheimers GIF by Sign with Robert

ReBurn

Gold Member
Those were interesting years for fashion. I remember sport coats coming with shoulder pads and I would take a seam ripper and rip them out because they were so uncomfortable. The 90's was really weird for fashion all around, though. Zubaz and ugly grandpa sweaters and berets all at once.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ah, just think of the fun future generations will have when they see photos of fashionable men and women of today with their weirdly colored hair, glasses, nose piercings and tattoos. They'll believe the world went crazy in the 2020ies - and they'd be absolutely right.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Ah, just think of the fun future generations will have when they see photos of fashionable men and women of today with their weirdly colored hair, glasses, nose piercings and tattoos. They'll believe the world went crazy in the 2020ies - and they'd be absolutely right.
Haven't people done that since the 80s? I feel like 80s hair bands started that trend.

-Minsc-

Broad, pointy shoulders was in the vogue at the time. The trend was also popular back in the Interwar period and a lot of stuff of that era saw a reurgence in the 70s-80s. These included.

800px-%28Portrait_of_Ann_Hathaway%2C_Washington_Square%2C_New_York%2C_N.Y.%2C_ca._May_1947%29_%28LOC%29_%285306387953%29_%28cropped%29.jpg
Vegeta, what does the scouter say about her power level?
Because i looked cool and sexy. On the right woman

jYbkkwm.jpg
I'm thinking diamond is unbreakable.
Loudly coloured hair can stay in anime.

Top Bottom