• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you old geezers on gaf. What the **** was up with the shoulder pads in the 80s?!

mansoor1980

Gold Member
shoulder-pads-laugh.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Haven't people done that since the 80s? I feel like 80s hair bands started that trend.

There have been wild fashion trends in 80ies music, from the New Romantics to those hair bands you mentioned, but their fashion choices never hit the mainstream. You wouldn't see college kids, teachers and office workers dressing up like that.

So, I was born in 1987 and I never understood it. It looked terrible, honestly that whole decade looked like ass. Every woman and man (at least in the states) with garbage hairstyles, gaudy fashion sense and shoulder pads every where. Why? Someone tell me why.
Born in ‘84 here, couldn’t agree more. People also looked old in their 30’s in the 80’s probably all that smoking they did.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I remember my mother often getting dressed to go out and going "oh, I almost forgot the shoulder pads!" with a resigned face. Shit looked so stupid.

The 80s were terrible for fashion. You had the early 80s with men wearing brown checkered suits and the biggest glasses ever made in the history of mankind, then the mid-80s hit and suddenly you got men with colored cotton candy hair and women dressing like early 80s business men with the unsexiest hairstyles ever seen. Jennifer Connelly is the rare example of a 80s movie star any contemporary man would still fuck if he saw her like she was in those movies. 80s movies had to be all about great action and good comedy because you'd never get a boner from the women. Even when they were just in lingerie, that hair was the most effective boner killer ever.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yea, it's fucking me with the bad taste...

Nah, it's all of you that had to breathe the leaded gasoline as kids with the bad taste
zWf6Q1G.jpg
I wasn't alive in the 80s, but go on.

Trunx81

Gold Member
The 80s were great. The fashion … not so much. But still better than the 70s (fight me in your rainbow trousers!) and the 90s. Especially the 90s, yuk.

My mom had one of those shoulder pad coats. It was just “in”, like Buffalo Plateau shoes or these neon key chains made of plastic. Remember when Naomi Campbell fell on the Runway because she was wearing Vivienne Westwoods (RIP, great designer until she sold her soul to Electronic Arts) Plateau shoes?

8bitpill

As for the shoulder pads. It's funny you posted this because I was just having a discussion with my wife while we were watching X-Files together and how goofy shoulder pads were,
the-x-files-recap-2-ftr.jpg

It's like any mainstream fashion, it wasn't questioned at the time because it was the norm and most people were sporting it.

Business suits of the late 80's into the mid 90's always reminded me of this,
david-byrne-talking-heads.gif

As for current fashion trends, it just looks like people blindly reach into their closets and what ever they grab they throw on,
00_promo.jpg

Chronicle

Power dressing. Terrible. I'd always complain to my mom 'remove the shoulder pads or I'm not wearing that'. They were in men's and women's clothes. Awful.

SaintALia

You mean shoulder pads for women suits? That goes further back than the 80's, like wayyyyy further back.

That Blade Runner pic is kinda misleading. While it was from the 80's, BR is riffing on film noir, and some of the fashion, style and set design takes from that era.

Fashion and style is basically a retreading, rebranding, reframing and regurgitation of the past(combined with modern technology and modern sensibilities of any given era).

As for the hairstyles? I think maybe it was from a bleed-in from the 70's in freedom of expression, the 70's were also bright and colourful, bleeding into the 80's as well, as well as more acceptance of black culture.

That's my theory anyway, there's probably a dozen articles tracking and explaining fashion and trends from various eras, including the 80's.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
In the 80s everything music and fashion was ruled by gay guys but no one else realized it.

Judas Priest pushed the leather and spikes look.
The New Romantics bands playing off David Bowie pushed basically what was “pop drag “ fashions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That silhouette was popular back then. Same deal with big hair.

Certain shapes come in and out of fashion.

Top Bottom