• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sobriety is all that's left

Catphish

So I've quit smoking/vaping a bunch of times, and this time is probably the last, because I totally fuck myself up on that first nicotine binge after being clean for days or weeks; feel all wigged out, can't sleep that night, angry at myself because I broke again. I don't want nicotine anymore.

I don't want to drink anymore because I feel like shit at the end of it, physically and emotionally, plus it makes me want to smoke cigarettes and weed.

I don't want to smoke weed anymore because I hate the anxiety/paranoia that goes with it, the munchies that result in poor dietary choices, and the general lethargy that comes in its wake.

So that about leaves Chai tea and naps.

Yay, middle age!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Get a job that does not allow you to do these things. That will help you stop.

Also maybe try looking at the things which are causing you the issues.Im guessing its binge drinking large amounts which is making u feel shit, so cut the drinking down to a couple of drinks a week.

Find other things to enjoy like cooking a nice big meal, I like the sleepy feeling I get from eating a nice big nutritional but tasty meal.

Last edited:

Catphish

Yeah, I'm gonna proper detox for a couple weeks, then renew my gym membership. My last stint (last year) felt good. I shouldn't have stopped.

It's just funny how it feels this time. It's almost effortless because to continue any of those things just feels genuinely stupid now.

Last edited:

Catphish

You are self detoxing and quitting cold turkey with no help? Yikes. Good luck.
Won't be the first time. I've gone months cold turkey in the past. At the moment, I'm 5 days in on all three, which is a good start, but I've done much better.

The trick is to keep my shit together when big stress hits. That's always been my weakness. Big bullshit, big anger, big relapse.

What I find really interesting is, and I dunno if any of you can relate, how each thing leads to the other two.

Drinking makes me want smoke, weed makes me want cigs, cigs make me want weed... Crazy

Last edited:

Corrik

Quit smoking and drinking about 4 months ago cold turkey.

Do not like where drinking was leading my life.

TrainedRage

Banned
Won't be the first time. I've gone months cold turkey in the past. At the moment, I'm 5 days in on all three, which is a good start, but I've done much better.

The trick is to keep my shit together when big stress hits. That's always been my weakness. Big bullshit, big anger, big relapse.

What I find really interesting is, and I dunno if any of you can relate, how each thing leads to the other two.

Drinking makes me want smoke, weed makes me want cigs, cigs make me want weed... Crazy
For sure I can relate. I was in rehab before I was the legal drinking age. It was crazy how many people (including myself) increased caffeine and nicotine habits in those 30-60 days. The best thing I ever learned was the concept of moderation and self reflection. After years of mental practice I am able to have one or two cigs a day if i really need them (as little as 3 a week). With drinking I stay away from hard stuff as much as I can. This has helped my quality of life tremendously. I wish you the best and hope you continue to update us and use this as a positive resource. Good luck!

Last edited:

black_13

Banned
Good luck and as with dieting I've realized moderation is key. Don't beat yourself if you have a break once in a while. And working out helps me out with stress. You go to the gym and tire yourself out and you careless about mondane things.

Dark Star

Starting jogging a couple miles everyday. Drink a ton of water. Hit the weights. All work wonders for mental clarity. Like Nike says, just do it. If anything replace those addictions for something less harmful : cooking, videogames, playing guitar, whatever ...

nush

It's a lifestyle change as much as kicking the addiction. Stick with it until it's just normal.

BANGS

Banned
It can be a psychological addiction you know

I... I'm not sure what this is referring to...

No, weed has been shown to cause these issues in some cases.

I know it can happen in some cases, I've even experienced it myself, but that's normally a rare side effect. 99% of the time smoking weed has the exact opposite effect... Maybe OP is just somehow physically predisposed to only getting the side effects and not the actual effects? I dunno...

Shifty

I... I'm not sure what this is referring to...

I think they interpreted your post as "you must be smoking something other than weed if you think you're addicted because weed isn't chemically addictive".

I know it can happen in some cases, I've even experienced it myself, but that's normally a rare side effect. 99% of the time smoking weed has the exact opposite effect... Maybe OP is just somehow physically predisposed to only getting the side effects and not the actual effects? I dunno...

It depends on what frame of mind you're in and whether you're subject to anxiety/paranoia in general. If you're in a bad place when you partake it'll push you further in that direction, vice versa if you're feeling good.

And then there's the various different strains and species of weed and their inherent psychological effects. Could be that OP lives somewhere that doesn't have free choice on that stuff and is stuck with a variant that doesn't agree with them.

Last edited:

ThisGuy

Start a new addiction. Working out for example. Each day, every day breh :D
Yup.

I won't lie to you all, I still drink every now and then on some weekends. Beer or wine with dinner. And, rarely, I do slip up and drink way more than I should.

But for now, working out is my replacement. I absolutely love it. I feel great, look better, and of course, much stronger.

Right on op, glad you're cleaning yourself up.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I think they interpreted your post as "you must be smoking something other than weed if you think you're addicted because weed isn't chemically addictive".
lol no that isn't what I meant, he didn't mention anything about being addicted to weed...

Catphish

Damn, I'm just saying weed generally makes me paranoid and anxious. It leads me to worry about shit I otherwise wouldn't if I were sober.

This is not a novel concept. It happens to a lot of people. And for me, it's been that way since my first use, back in the days when I really had nothing to worry about.

The only times it didn't happen is if I were surrounded by friends, and just having a blast from start to finish. But if I was alone, or the scene was low-key, yeah. At least a minor bout with paranoia/anxiety was almost guaranteed. And I don't wanna go through that anymore.

That's it. đź‘Ť

jadedm17

I'm with you on the feeling shit after but man sobriety sucks; I live a cozy life and still hate the world. Meh.

One day at a time.

LordPezix

Alcohol and other drugs are trash and bring you nothing of positive. Good for you, OP.

Nah, I feel like they enhance my life. Good friends have been made over drinks, weed is fun with partners, and smoking/vaping is sick because when work blows or you need a break, BAM a quick smoke and it's all good in the proverbial hood.

Addiction ain't cool, you have to be the master of yourself.

Top Bottom