• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE Live 2013 - EverQuest Next Thread: Return of the Sandbox [free2play]

Ashodin

I'm just fearing that they are gonna set this thing up as the "next big thing in MMOs" and then it follows the typical pattern of coming out, having a few good months before it drops off rapidly.

Another pretender to the throne.
It's F2P, and totally different from wow. Not even themepark bro.

Ashodin

the SOE Live schedule was changed: https://www.soe.com/soelive/lineup.vm EQN reveal extended, and panels were moved around.

EQN reveal is still Friday August 2 at 12 PDT, but it lasts until 1:30 PDT.

The welcome reception on Thursday August 1 that starts at 7 PDT will now include EQ1 and EQ2 instead of combining them with EQN.

ooh. This means there could be more to show than previously thought. Or rather, that they want to elaborate on things they've shown in the trailer for a moment, then diverge to each panel.

I really don't think it's fair to lay Vanguard at SOE's feet, the habit they have of saving failing games from oblivion even though they know it's not the best business decision is something to be admired, not chided.

It's not so much the fact that they saved something against better business judgement, its more what they decided to save. They have been proving time after time they no longer really have the pulse of what fans of the genre want from there games. Vanguard was just one of those times this happened.

Not to mention for every game that doesn't deserve saving like Vanguard a company like SoE steps in for, another game that actually did deserve the intervention dies off entirely. There are only so many resources to go around and so many chances to take a risk before you need to play it safe again.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It's not so much the fact that they saved something against better business judgement, its more what they decided to save. They have been proving time after time they no longer really have the pulse of what fans of the genre want from there games. Vanguard was just one of those times this happened.

Not to mention for every game that doesn't deserve saving like Vanguard a company like SoE steps in for, another game that actually did deserve the intervention dies off entirely. There are only so many resources to go around and so many chances to take a risk before you need to play it safe again.

Yes, yes. You dislike SOE.

Oh no, Jira is excited. Death knell for the game! j/k

I'm actually really excited for next week. I keep a SOE Station pass active just to try all the things they release.

Yes, yes. You dislike SOE.

Erm, I was replying directly to him responding to something I had previously said in the thread. Probably a poor idea to make assumptions about what extent I like or dislike SoE as well. I spent over 2 and a half years of in game /played time actively playing Everquest, I played a considerable amount of SWG before the changes they made drove me off and I played EQ2 for a more then modest amount of time.

I'm not really sure what else you want from me, there isn't a company that exists in the entire world that has never done anything poorly or that I would disagree with. I have still given SoE an immense amount of money and time and am still excited about the reveal of EQN.

This is a discussion thread which means that all facets of SoE and there games can and should be discussed, including the positive and the negative. Could certainly do without the sarcastic remarks any time anyone has concerns though.

Honestly I am having some of the same people taking umbrage with anything I bring up that could be seen as less then positive here that I did whenever I voiced concerns or brought up something I didn't like in the GW2 thread and that is unfortunate.

Iadien

Erm, I was replying directly to him responding to something I had previously said in the thread. Probably a poor idea to make assumptions about what extent I like or dislike SoE as well. I spent over 2 and a half years of in game /played time actively playing Everquest, I played a considerable amount of SWG before the changes they made drove me off and I played EQ2 for a more then modest amount of time.

I'm not really sure what else you want from me, there isn't a company that exists in the entire world that has never done anything poorly or that I would disagree with. I have still given SoE an immense amount of money and time and am still excited about the reveal of EQN.

This is a discussion thread which means that all facets of SoE and there games can and should be discussed, including the positive and the negative. Could certainly do without the sarcastic remarks any time anyone has concerns though.

Honestly I am having some of the same people taking umbrage with anything I bring up that could be seen as less then positive here that I did whenever I voiced concerns or brought up something I didn't like in the GW2 thread and that is unfortunate.

I just don't understand why you bother following a company that you don't seem to like much anymore.

They haven't really done anything worthy of the hype EQ Next is getting ever since early EQ and early SWG.

If I felt that way about a company, I wouldn't care about their games, maybe that's just me.

I just don't understand why you bother following a company that you don't seem to like much anymore.

If I felt that way about a company, I wouldn't care about their games, maybe that's just me.

There is a veritable ocean between not liking anything about a company and being of the personal opinion that the particular level of hype is higher then what i feel there recent output has justified.

I have had alot of issues with parts of recent entries in the final fantasy series but I still buy and enjoy most of them to some extent which of course means I will follow whats going on with the series. That doesn't mean I am as hyped for the third FFXIII game as I would have been coming right off of IX and X. Not everything is black or white and often times people will bring up what they don't like about something simply because they care about it being the best product it can be.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Hopefully it turns out good. I am not getting hyped up because every massively hyped MMO over the past 8 years has sucked.

gogojira

Bunch of crazy kids.
<started with MUDs>

Ha, definitely not a kid but never played a MUD (you still might have some years on me!). I actually didn't play EQ at launch, I started at Ruins of Kunark (best expansion ever). I still can't believe I convinced my parents to slap a credit card on a game, that was a pretty foreign concept back then.

Edit: Keeping the nostalgia party going. I friggin' love this set of EQ music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIL_QIVLvE

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Even GW2? Sucked in what way? In terms of how YOU enjoyed it, or the game itself?

GW2 is the one you choose to defend? What about it didn't suck? I can answer that: the graphics and music. Those were great. It was an awful MMORPG, though.

MotsWCP.png

This is what I want. Haven't had it since Lineage II...

Please be true.

Ashodin

This is what I want. Haven't had it since Lineage II...

Please be true.

Probably the best thing you can hope for. Jira and I have theorized this concept:

• Regional Economies
  • -- Basically, each region of the game would have varying needs of the type of mats they need, ore, wood, whatever, and you can go far and wide, find a town that needs more wood, and profit greatly from it.

spirity

Ok, I dug up the following information from someone who seems to have got it from idontknowwhere. This info has not been confirmed and I don't know just how reliable any of it is. So take it for what its worth. It could be bs, it could be true. I don't know. I'm removing a few personal details.

Races and factions - like EQ1 there will be race/class restrictions. Barbarians for example can be the usual classes (Warrior, Bezerkers (or whatever they call the melee DPS class, Shaman). Different starting stats per race and racial abilities (no clue if the racials are meaningful). If that Barbarian chooses and wants to become an Enchanter, he can go raise his faction with a race that has that class. It won't be an easy ordeal and will take effort. At the time of my info, factions could be individually raised. So a high elf could raise their faction and eventually be accepted by the dark elves but at the cost of their own city/race faction.

The classes I've had confirmed are Warrior, Cleric, Shaman, Wizard, Enchanter, Ranger, Druid, Rogue. There are more, but that was all I know of at this moment.

The playable races I had confirmed are Human, High Elf, Dark Elf, Kerran, Kobold, Ogre, Troll. Again there are more than those playable those are just what I know is playable. I tried to get Ratonga and Iksar confirmation but don't have that yet.

Norrath - the world is gigantic. No zones. The world is seamless. There will be instances in respect to some raids and dungeons but a lot of open dungeons a la EQ1. The extent to which we can damage the environment is still unknown. That's under wraps pretty tight so I'd imagine its damageable to a good extent.

Spells - no more spell trainers. Abilities are granted passively and the big ones have quests and trials attached to them. Enchanters will have to seek out people around the world to learn and study with. Wizards will have to find various tomes to study to learn to weave the strongest spells. Not sure on the spell weaving mechanic but they seemed to indicate the ability to create and discover new spells. So not every wizards spell ok will be the same.

Combat - there will be hotbars. It will NOT be like EQ2s combat abortion. That's about all I know on that. I've pressed for details but that info is locked down tight. ??? could well be right here I concede but if I had to guess, it'll be action based combat with a limited skill set load out.

Crafting - it is in the game, it is interdependent and its supposedly more meaning than they've ever made it. Players will be able to make useful and sought after gear and stuff at all levels. Raid/Dungeon crafting drops confirmed but no mechanics specifics.

Misc - this game will be FTP. It will have a cash shop. SOE will make the world, dungeons, raids as usual. Their version of emergent gameplay is us creating content via their dungeon maker/player studio. Player made PVP battlegrounds. This player created content is all instanced not part of the persistent world. So is housing. Guild housing will be in from the get go as well.

Beta - it's already in friends and family alpha/beta. After SOE live, beta will begin early Aug/late Sept. they are trying to launch Nov/Dec. the latest this game will launch is Feb/March time frame. They are much farther along then they let on and that's part of their surprise.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, I dug up the following information from someone who seems to have got it from idontknowwhere. This info has not been confirmed and I don't know just how reliable any of it is. So take it for what its worth. It could be bs, it could be true. I don't know. I'm removing a few personal details.

I am having some feels. I think I am in love.
I want this game to be my wife.

Different servers for pc and ps4 is a must. Since it is f2p it will be full of botters on the pc side. That will ruin the game for anyone who plays on the ps4. Also, no carebear land crap. Creating safe areas so people can gather resources/skills is just another way of protecting botters. If people just want to chat and not risk anything, they can play the hundred other mmos that allow that.

That's all I want in a good MMO. The chance for risk.

Iadien

Hmm, looks like it could be legit, based on all of the crap I have read and watched. If that was posted up somewhere before the painting went up (before we knew about Kobolds being playable) then I bet it's pretty accurate.

Nevermind, I see where you got that from (rerolled)... just posted today. But, Enchanters... woo.

It looks to me if it isn't legit, that he is guessing based on all of the information available. A lot of what he posted has been mentioned before. Races, seamless world, destructible environments, F2P, player studio, crafting, players needing to quest to learn spells, etc. has all been hinted at in interviews and other sources.

Darryl

Banned

instanced housing? some of the more interesting MMO stories i've heard involved ultima online housing. if they were going for a true sandbox feel, they would've given players the options to duke it out over prime real estate. which makes it worse when player crafted dungeons and content is their gimmick. i really hope they aren't betting the house on that. this is just some disappointing stuff all around. hopefully it is fake

Iadien

instanced housing? some of the more interesting MMO stories i've heard involved ultima online housing. if they were going for a true sandbox feel, they would've given players the options to duke it out over prime real estate. which makes it worse when player crafted dungeons and content is their gimmick. i really hope they aren't betting the house on that. this is just some disappointing stuff all around. hopefully it is fake

I didn't think they would go for a true sandbox (I hope they don't, I hate true sandboxes.). Most EQ players are playing because of the PVE content and stuff, not PVP.

BigDug13

Did you ever play Everquest? Other than 3-4 servers out of 20+, the entire game was completely PvE and had very little in common with Ultima Online. If you're expecting an extensive PvP game developed by these developers, you might want to temper your expectations. Everquest fans want Everquest, not Ultima Online. Otherwise they would have played Ultima Online since it was thriving around the same time period.

Darryl

Banned
Did you ever play Everquest? Other than 3-4 servers out of 20+, the entire game was completely PvE and had very little in common with Ultima Online. If you're expecting an extensive PvP game developed by these developers, you might want to temper your expectations. Everquest fans want Everquest, not Ultima Online. Otherwise they would have played Ultima Online since it was thriving around the same time period.

maybe you missed the OP

What EverQuest Next Isn&#8217;t:

EverQuest
EverQuest 2
MMO that you remember from years ago (nostalgia)

i know what everquest 1/2 was. i played them. i'm not looking for a sequel, i'm looking for the natural evolution of the genre. the guy has been trying to sell me on a sandbox heavy MMO. if that's true, they took one of the most interesting possible elements for a sandbox game right out at the start.

Iadien

maybe you missed the OP

i know what everquest 1/2 was. i played them. i'm not looking for a sequel, i'm looking for the natural evolution of the series. the guy has been trying to sell me on a sandbox heavy MMO. if that's true, they took one of the most interesting possible elements for a sandbox game right out at the start.

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting PVP (well, there will be PVP servers I'm assuming) and a true sandbox.

• Abilities are granted passively and the big ones have quests and trials attached to them.
  • Their version of emergent gameplay is us creating content via their dungeon maker/player
    studio.
  • Norrath - the world is gigantic. No zones. The world is seamless.
  • After SOE live, beta will begin early Aug/late Sept. they are trying to launch Nov/Dec.

Although I'm not to sure on player created content. We'll see.

Darryl

Banned
I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting PVP (well, there will be PVP servers I'm assuming) and a true sandbox.

because adding in player owned and contested housing would've heavily restricted PVP, what the hell?

If true, the only thing I don't like is housing being instanced.

Iadien

because adding in player owned and contested housing would've heavily restricted PVP, what the hell?

I just don't see SOE doing this. Housing is a big deal to EQ fans (I mean decorating them, not just owning them).

Still though, we don't know how accurate that information is. I noticed that he didn't even post dwarves or barbarians as playable, and we know they will be.

spirity

Their version of emergent gameplay is us creating content via their dungeon maker/player studio.

This is what I was talking about when I said before I wanted to see how SOE are defining the terms "sandbox" and "emergent gameplay".

Under SOE's definition, the Randy Savage dragon mod for Skyrim is "emergent gameplay". This is not exactly how I would have defined the term, its a very loose interpretation of it. But its SOE's game, and not mine, so they can define it however they want to.

That is, if the leak is even true, which I'm not sure of. It kinda sounds legit if I'm honest, but I don't know.

spirity

If true, the only thing I don't like is housing being instanced.

It was a feature I really enjoyed in EQ2.

One thing I didn't like so much was instanced guild halls. I was in a high level guild, can't remember the guild level. 30 or something when I last played years ago. And we had our guild house kitted out, full of vendors, bankers, tradeskill npcs, portals to nearly every place in the game.

Guild houses essentially emptied out the cities, because everything you needed was in your guild hall. People would log out in their guild hall, log in to their guild hall, travel directly to wherever they needed to go using portals/bells. Nobody bothered travelling through the cities anymore and they kinda became ghost towns. They had a detrimental affect to community imo. (Although honestly, server based communities started dying when everything became introverted and server communities were replaced by your guild. Essentially, your guild was the only community then).

Iadien

It was a feature I really enjoyed in EQ2.

One thing I didn't like so much was instanced guild halls. I was in a high level guild, can't remember the guild level. 30 or something when I last played years ago. And we had our guild house kitted out, full of vendors, bankers, tradeskill npcs, portals to nearly every place in the game.

Guild houses essentially emptied out the cities, because everything you needed was in your guild hall. People would log out in their guild hall, log in to their guild hall, travel directly to wherever they needed to go using portals/bells. Nobody bothered travelling through the cities anymore and they kinda became ghost towns. They had a detrimental affect to community imo. (Although honestly, server based communities started dying when everything became introverted and server communities were replaced by your guild. Essentially, your guild was the only community then).

I remember being pissed when guild halls could add ports, tradeskill areas, etc., I knew the cities would turn into ghost towns. I hope they don't make that same mistake again.

spirity

I remember being pissed when guild halls could add ports, tradeskill areas, etc., I knew the cities would turn into ghost towns. I hope they don't make that same mistake again.

Yeah, they went too far with it. The convenience was cool and all at first. But isn't this a repeating phenomena in MMO's? When you add convenience, something is always lost. I hate that see-saw. I'm always on the wrong end.

Anno

So I'm really intrigued by how Player Studio will interact with the game. Just patched up EQ2 to see what's been made and man, there are some great looking items in there, and I remember loving some of the player dungeons. Given more tools and more freedom I think there could be a lot of interesting stuff.

Iadien

So I'm really intrigued by how Player Studio will interact with the game. Just patched up EQ2 to see what's been made and man, there are some great looking items in there, and I remember loving some of the player dungeons. Given more tools and more freedom I think there could be a lot of interesting stuff.

People will recreate dungeons from EQ1 and EQ2 if the tools are powerful enough. Should be interesting, if done right.

Just bring the scariness back. Knowing all the levels of creatures in a zone and having it all be a tightly packed level range is boring. There's nothing like pissing off a mid 30's hill giant walking around a zone meant for teen levels. Keeping your eyes peeled and your head on a swivel in case he comes walking close by.

That's not scary either though, because you know it's level. IMO we shouldn't even be able to see the exact "level" of enemies; we should be able to determine if they look too powerful based on how they look and past experience. The only MMOs I've played that don't show levels though are Mabinogi and Star Wars Galaxies pre nge.

Id be hyped for this but I'm assuming it's going to have the same old crappy combat and classes and leveling. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it *sigh*

Edit: or just have something like "this enemy is very powerful" and "this one is weak" like they did in Mabinogi. If done right it tells you enough to be cautious but not whether or not you are strong enough to kill them on your own.

Sblargh

Banned
That's not scary either though, because you know it's level. IMO we shouldn't even be able to see the exact "level" of enemies; we should be able to determine if they look too powerful based on how they look and past experience. The only MMOs I've played that don't show levels though are Mabinogi and Star Wars Galaxies pre nge.

Id be hyped for this but I'm assuming it's going to have the same old crappy combat and classes and leveling. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it *sigh*

Edit: or just have something like "this enemy is very powerful" and "this one is weak" like they did in Mabinogi. If done right it tells you enough to be cautious but not whether or not you are strong enough to kill them on your own.

The original EQ just color-coded, no? IIRC it was something like, blue is lower than you, red is bigger and yellow is kind of in range, but you still might need a group.

Anno

I just hope abilities aren't so constrained as they are in WoW, EQ2 and similar games. EQ did a great job of making monsters very powerful but giving (caster) classes powerful abilities that could be used in a lot interesting ways. The skill ceiling was high compared to most MMOs and it really set people apart.

spirity

The original EQ just color-coded, no? IIRC it was something like, blue is lower than you, red is bigger and yellow is kind of in range, but you still might need a group.

Yeah, you could also gauge if a mob would aggro you or not.

EQ2's 'consider' system was a bit disappointing in contrast, with its ^^ arrow con system. It even told you how many groups you needed for a particular encounter. Made everything seem gamey and plastic, took away any discovery. As a designer, you should be HIDING that shit so the players find out for themselves. But, that doesn't fit very well with how on rails and boring the MMO experience has become. A lot of people give WoW shit for this, but SoE slavishly followed Blizzards lead and were nearly just as bad.

Top Bottom