• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software in development exclusively for New 3DS

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Might not be happening until at least 2016 then, they won't even launch this outside Japan this year.

this might not even come out in the west. Handheld sales are pretty low and they may consider it not worth it, depending on when they plan to bring their *proper* new one out.

When they are using examples of 'faster miiverse browsing' for the CPU bump you know they're scraping the barrel for reasons to buy.

Carlisle

if this happens, I'm buying a used N64 off ebay.

Got burned by 'upgrading' to a DSi, they aren't fooling me again. Probably.

That's my concern. Went in for the DSi exclusive content and it had been just long enough since I got my Lite that something new sounded like fun. It was a really nice system, mind you. I loved the weight and feel and all that, but it wasn't worth the money. Sold it when 3DS came out.

Sadist

I can totally see the next handheld Zelda having New 3DS exclusive features.

So... in the same vein as Link's Awakening DX. You could play it on your Game Boy, but if you played the game on a GB Color you'd get a bonus dungeon.

sector4

I'd buy three New 3DS's and give Miyamoto and Iwata handjobs AT THE SAME TIME if they can pull out their magic pixie dust and make the new handheld give me a proper sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics....

Something I've been dreaming of for ages....
Giving Miyamoto and Iwata handjobs or the proper sequel? :/

zsidane

Kinda glad i didn't buy a 3ds yet!
I was olanning on buying the SSB limited edition but I'll wait!
WiiU only for me when in comes to SSB this year.

I hope more and more people will adopt DD so we hear less of horror stories about people buying "new"3ds games only and complaining about them not working on their old 3ds...

Kiant

Well, guess I will wait for this 'new' 3DS instead. Kinda weird they are not targeting the Christmas holidays in the west with this, was really looking forward to picking up a 3DS this year.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't think they even realize adding a U to the Wii brand is a good chunk of why no one has really taken notice of the Wii U. Adding a "New" to the front of 3DS and cutting the userbase into pieces is only going to make it worse. Are the boxes going to say "New 3DS only"? Will the average consumer not say "I have a new 3DS" when they buy the old version and not get confused?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
this might not even come out in the west. Handheld sales are pretty low and they may consider it not worth it, depending on when they plan to bring their *proper* new one out.

When they are using examples of 'faster miiverse browsing' for the CPU bump you know they're scraping the barrel for reasons to buy.

Oh they will get it out here. 2015 will be the year of "Buy all the toys" for Nintendo, they'll be shoving those things down our throat.

Asbear

Banned
They are so gonna make a new Zelda or Metroid exclusively for New 3DS. I hope the next Ace Attorney after DGS will take advantage as well, since Dual Destinies felt too unstable for my liking.

HYDE

Banned
Upgraded versions of ALL OF NINTENDO'S HIT 3DS GAMES! Link Between Worlds Deluxe! Super Mario 3D Land Deluxe! Fire Emblem: Awakening Deluxe!

But seriously, this really is the new Game Boy Color.

Oh man I'd be all over another top down perspective Metal Gear...also Metroid Dread.

Jobbs

Banned
Oh man I'd be all over another top down perspective Metal Gear...also Metroid Dread.

if Metroid comes to N3DS -- that'll be perfection. I had my XL stolen a few months ago, and I haven't replaced it because fuck it. If this happens -- then I have total justification to replace it, knowing I would have gotten one of these anyway, I can pretend my XL was never stolen...

Upgraded versions of ALL OF NINTENDO'S HIT 3DS GAMES! Link Between Worlds Deluxe! Super Mario 3D Land Deluxe! Fire Emblem: Awakening Deluxe!

But seriously, this really is the new Game Boy Color.

Stop making this fucking argument, the gbc upgrade was a color screen, the 3DSn has a new processor, new controls. This is the 32x and sega cd level upgrade.

pronk420

how many DSi exclusive games ever got made? (not counting dsiware)

according to wikipedia it was 4 and they all sound terrible

18-Volt

Nintendo was planning to make more DSi exclusive games (rumor has it Pokémon BW were to become a DSi exclusive) but scrapped the idea and focused on 3DS. There were couple of titles in development but they were cancelled and we even don't know what they were.

I mean, technically Japanese doesn't have plurals (at least not in most instances) so in theory, it could simply be referring to Xenoblade 3D and nothing more. *In theory*

zeromcd73

I mean, technically Japanese doesn't have plurals (at least not in most instances) so in theory, it could simply be referring to Xenoblade 3D and nothing more. *In theory*

No. The words used during the direct and in the message are very clear that there are several different, and most likely brand new titles coming exclusively to New 3DS.

Colombo

I have held off buying another 3DS because I was expecting a new revision this year but this isn't what I expected. I actually wish it was releasing in the west in 2014 because if they leave it too late, I will just end up waiting for the 'Real' 3DS successor!

Timeaisis

I honestly don't think there is going to be much software for this. They'll probably like 5 - 10 exclusives made, most of which aren't super high demand titles.

More likely they'll just add new-3DS specific features to new titles that will work on both the old and new systems. Xenoblade being the exception, consider the processing power it requires.

That, or they'll just very, very slowly phase out regular 3DS games. Like, continue to make them but with extra features for N3DS, and then when the market has accepted the new system enough, start launching N3DS games only. Pretty similar to what they did for GBC, IIRC.

iMerc

regardless it retrospectively isn't even a big deal.
this new 3ds won't be a big deal now, either.
then again, people cried foul when nintendo unveiled the gbaSP, too. remember that.
people in large crowds; physically or electronically.

ahh well, for any rational person i think it's better to just step aside for now, and leave the insane to their 'weeping & knashing of teeth'.
let it all cool over till everyone is sane again, then resume reasonable discussion.

after reading some ridiculously demented posts and even threads regarding this topic, i feel like captain willard walking through the cambodian jungle and stumbling into colonel kurtz raving camp. (point for anyone who got that reference).

i'm out of here.

Pizza

If this winds up like the DSi i wont mind too much, tbh: my 3DS can still play smash bros, and will be receiving it's nfc connectivity early next year.

Though, I did just buy my 3DS xl in december after the 3ds dropped: I waited saying "no, there will be another, larger one"

my waiting paid off in the form of the *new* 3DS coming out.

I'll only really feel put off if games start to look and play significantly better, or if the N3DS starts getting good exclusive games, or preferential treatment in the eShop. I really cant afford a second 3DS and I'd like to buy games from nintendo.

At least the WiiU has a good eShop if you also account for the vWii, and doubly so with the homebrew channel. N3DS does seem like a cool toy, and it's absolutely a worthwhile upgrade if you can afford it.

I just wish I would've gotten more than six months from my console before it was referred to as the "old" 3DS by proxy.

MegaMelon

Hmm... that got me thinking that maybe "Pokémon Z" could be N3DS exclusive. It could also benefit from the extra CPU power to avoid frame drops, too.

Nah I highly doubt it'll be exclusive. If it is on the New 3ds, I can see it having exclusive features and obviously better performance but considering BW2 was released on the DS when the 3ds had been out for a year and a half it would be an incredibly silly decision to make it exclusive.

I guess the DSi is a good comparison. Sounds a little better than the Game Boy and Game Boy Colour one.

I think that since they're making exclusives because the hardware is better and can do more stuff, they should have gone ahead and waited a few years. And made a new handheld then with a different name.

This doesn't really feel like their next gen handheld. It kind of reminds me of the SEGA 32X. And I think with this and the Wii U, they're being a little too confusing with their names.

I like the upgrade, though.

balgajo

I just wanted something to play old 3ds games at better resolutions. Can't see it as a sucess splitting the user base. I will probably not upgrade though I liked the increase at 3d sweet spot a lot.

beril

Nintendo is certainly treating this as something more than a revision.

Are they? Iwata spent most of the time talking about the hardware size, battery life, brightness modes, built in NFC extra buttons and the new eyetracking 3D screen. And then showed one exclusive game, that's a port of a wii game

No. The words used during the direct and in the message are very clear that there are several different, and most likely brand new titles coming exclusively to New 3DS.

In the Direct, Iwata very clearly says they're developing several titles that will have improved controls and graphics [implied: on the N3DS over the old 3DS models], and then specifies they also have an exclusive title they couldn't get to work on the OG model, leading straight into the clip of Xenoblade 3DS. There's nothing said that is outright implying multiple, different, brand-new exclusive titles.

I just want a decent to good trade in special for my 3DS XL. I hate that they didn't have enough foresight to add in this extra power/ kick to the 3DS when they first released it.

I hope Pokemon Z/X2/Y2 takes full advantage of this up grade.

Zubz

Banned
Here's hoping that it's like DSiWare and nothing comes out of it, or at least for awhile ala the Game Boy Color. Because I'm cheap like that.

Xenoblade 3DS looks good, but as long as that's the only big game I'm missing, I can deal.

Here's hoping that it's like DSiWare and nothing comes out of it, or at least for awhile ala the Game Boy Color. Because I'm cheap like that.

Xenoblade 3DS looks good, but as long as that's the only big game I'm missing, I can deal.

Given how Nintendo loves making GameCube-esque games on Wii U, the fact that they specifically named the dual analog nub after the C-stick probably means they want to do the same on 3DS.

So we'll probably see lots of "big games." Xenoblade is just a good time and place announcement given Shulk in Smash and Xenoblade Chronicles X hitting soon.

Nintendo just needs to announce better VC support (preferably cross buy with Wii U for SNES/GBA) as some of that extra software in development and they've got my perverbial axe!

Top Bottom