• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software you paid for or consider paying for?

Ahmed

What is your list of software worth paying for?
sometimes free alternatives are present, but I ask about software that you think it is a good value for money
Games not included
Windows, MAC, ios, Android whatever
any software type/category

for me:
windows
office
Adobe Acrobat pro
imindmap
Scrivener
scapple
goalscape
endnote
Kelk 2013 (Arabic Calligraphy software)
Plex lifetime
mailbird
resilio sync
internet download manager
simple diagram (easy diagramming software)
Biovinci
iroha note + (notes cards software)
imapping (data organization software)

I think it will be useful to know some new software.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I’ve bought a bunch of good synths for my iPad, such as the ones from Korg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Good thread topic but I think the lines are a little blurred nowadays due to software as a service / subscription models.

For example, people gladly pay for Spotify, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. but those things wouldn't really get a mention here without a cunt like me trying to spice things up.

I don't think I ever paid for MediaMonkey despite using it for 15+ years, although I certainly would have if I had income as a teenager.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I paid for Malwarebytes before they went to the sub model. I'm grandfathered for life apparently.
Woo!

Last edited:

TFGB

Affinity Photo for iPad. Comprehensive RAW editing on a tablet with a one-off purchase price.

womfalcs3

Banned
Only Windows and Office.... and that was up until I graduated from college. Now, I just use my work laptop.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I have not bought any software other than games. Work buys windows/office/laptop for me. I don't use any other software other than work provided software. I did buy access to private VPN but that was with mined bitcoin, so I don't know if that counts.

Last edited:

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
I'm very big into 1Password, so that's something that I've put money into.
Being able to Airplay from my Windows PC is something I do on occasion so I forked over for AirParrot.
I keep a running license of Microsoft Office because you never know when you're going to need them.
For VPN I've found Private Internet Access to be extremely easy to use and top notch performance wise.
On iOS I still find Dark Sky to be the best weather app, so that was bought.

Buying software is just the right thing to do...but I'll never buy a license for WinRAR!

Dark Star

FLStudio, formerly Fruity Loops. Free lifetime updates.

i used a pirated version of FL 11 and 12 for YEARS. installed many torrented plugins/vsts/drum kits, you name it. I was a highschool/college kid with very little money and it seemed like "everyone" was doing that anyways.

but it's absolutely worth it to invest money into your music, and that includes actually buying and supporting the companies product that supports your creativity.

Mihos

Gold Member
Outside of games obviously,

I buy Microsoft Studio every few years.
I also pay for Pinegrow

Every other IDE I have is already free or opensource, like PyCharm, Android studio, DevC++, NetBeans, Eclipse, TightVNC, Gimp, Blender, etc. I am still using the 'for personal use' Fusion 360, although I have paid for Solidworks in the past. I use openoffice for personal (got to have Linux support), but MS Office for work.

I still have a license for teamviewer, but only version 9.

I hate subscription models.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Back in the early days of my freelance editing career I paid for Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Well before creative cloud was a thing.

kingbean

Objectdock and some software for my mic from Samson.

I love having a dock to pop out like a drawer at the top left of my screen.

ILLtown

Windows
Office 365
Internet Download Manager
Macrium Reflect
Traktor (although the software came with the purchase of a DJ mixer)

There's so much good free software for Windows that for my own personal needs, it's rare that I end up buying something that isn't a game. I have made a handful of donations to the creator of MusicBee, which is totally free, just cos he does a fantastic job of fixing bugs and responding to feedback.

Last edited:

Makariel

Windows 10. And that's because I play games that need it. Otherwise I'd use only linux.
On my phone I paid for nine (email) and pocket casts (podcasts).

At work everything I need is paid for ;-)

Zog

Banned
A program called Adguard. It's an adblocker that runs in Windows so it works for all browsers. You can still whitelist sites as well. Also, Office 365. It's a shame there is no match for Excel.

Last edited:
Parallels 2012 - it's Virtual machine for OSX which is best one of them but I start to really regret it since now mere 2 years later they are telling me they won't be upgrading my version and I should move to Parallels 14 for support on newest OSX.

Best deal I ever made was buying Microsoft Office home&student pack 2007 - It costed 50 euros and came with 3 lifetime transferable licenses which now let's me show Microsoft my middle finger with their office 365 "deals" ;)

The latest piece of software that I have bought (subscribed to) is Notion. Notion is the best app I have tried in a long time. I have been looking for a good productivity, time management, project, goal, check list, to do, all things App for about 3 or 4 years. Everything Google, Microsoft and Apple offers does not work. They are all to embedded into their own ecosystems. I have a Macbook Pro, a PC workstation and a Apple Iphone. I need all my shit to sync and work effortlessly. Notion allows me to do that. It is insanely feature rich and deconstructs the UI in a way you can organize basically anything you want, anyway you want. This is such a powerful tool. You need this if you are looking for a time management or organization tool. The base SKU is free, and team subscription cost 4 USB a month.
I like it over Slack, Trello, and all the others.

I sub to the full Adobe Creative Cloud, and like most other people, I have a love and hate relationship with them. The apps are constantly being updated with useful features, but these apps like Photoshop really need to be updated. They have gotten so bloated and heavy over the years. Still coded for single and dual core performance, and doesnt fully utilize your systems GPU. Really would wish, they would get their A game on. Typekit is still mehh.

Zog

Banned
Parallels 2012 - it's Virtual machine for OSX which is best one of them but I start to really regret it since now mere 2 years later they are telling me they won't be upgrading my version and I should move to Parallels 14 for support on newest OSX.

Best deal I ever made was buying Microsoft Office home&student pack 2007 - It costed 50 euros and came with 3 lifetime transferable licenses which now let's me show Microsoft my middle finger with their office 365 "deals" ;)
Office 365 is worth it though, in my opinion.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have Office 2016 when my work had a deal for $10 packages. This was before they implemented the multiple installations for Office 365 licenses. Which sucks because if you leave the company that account is tied to your work email.
I bought Start8 and Start10 when I had Vista and then 8.1. I needed the Start menu. I work with software on a daily basis. Half the time I get software, its purchased by the company I work for.

I bought the Scanner Pro app on iOS. I needed to scan back in college and it worked perfectly. I also donated money to Ad block years ago, if you consider that purchasing software?

Patrick S.

Banned
Ummm, I've been using computers since the late 80's and I actually don't remember any software I paid for right now...

But I'm a quiet person and always polite to my neighbours!

ILLtown

In what way ? I can buy small business version of latest Office suite for the price of 4-5 years of 365 subscription.
I think for a lot of people that 1TB of OneDrive storage and 60 minutes of Skype international calls per month add value.

The pricing is competitive just for the online storage. If you pay DropBox for 1TB per year it costs more than an entire Office 365 Personal subscription, for example.

Zog

Banned
In what way ? I can buy small business version of latest Office suite for the price of 4-5 years of 365 subscription.
One Drive is nice and I like having the latest version. Also, I like having Access which I am just beginning to play with.

In 4-5 years, when I have finally paid the amount that you paid, my version will still be the latest version and your version will be 4-5 years old. Did I misread your post because that doesn't sound great on your end.

Last edited:

lil puff

If I could afford the software we use at work, I could then properly work from home.

That's really what I want, because I can do the work in half the time IRL. I go slow on purpose in the office.

There's also this copy protection software key called iLok. Mainly used for particular audio plugin software. Because I don't want to install iLok, I miss out on a ton of good plugins. I would consider buying iLok, but nah.

janicetr

Neo Member
EssentialPIM
Atlantis Word Processor
Softmaker Office
Vegas Pro and some Xara software for a few bucks in a Humble Bundle. Best deal ever :)
Malwarebytes Lifetime

Thinking about Bitwarden Pro. I don't really need the pro features, but I want to support them.
I am still using the Sublime Text Trial. Love it but $80 is too much for me...

Gander

Banned
Music Studio Software is something I'll pay for. If it's got the right tools and is easy to use it's paying for rather than learning something else that's free.

petran79

Banned
Listary Pro :Very good search engine. Appears on the fly and can be embedded in
Total Commander: got used to that file manager. Reminds me of Norton Commander
MIRC: User since the mid90s so I had to buy it eventually
Object desktop: usefull apps to make Windows look like Linux
Ultraedit: used it since the 90s. One of the best text editors.
Corel Video Studio: I was a Ulead Media Studio user and found it as one of the best, though Vegas surpassed it.
Paintshop Pro: for photo retouching I use the app for years
Clip Studio Paint: best tool for comics and manga art. With a scanner and a stylus especially
Corel Painter: not as revolutionary as in the 90s but still good for pseudopaint digital art

Have other apps too but they are not cheap

Ah, around when I was messing around with DOS, Rar didn,t exist, at least to my knowledge. I used the shareware version of PKZIP and convinced my parents to donate the 25 bucks, I believe it was.

RAR appeared in mid90s in DOS and I preferred it to ARJ because of better compression. Back when you had to waste 1 hour to compress and decompress a game to 20 floppies.

lil puff

How about a working VLC.

Or any video program for Mac OS since they can't be bothered to include one on their $4000 desktops.

Windows
Directory Opus
Plex Lifetime sub

I'm amazed at how much good stuff is either completely free, or the free edition does everything I need it to.
Directory Opus is just pure indulgence.

Top Bottom