• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software you paid for or consider paying for?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess Windows, but that comes with every PC built into the price. If I exclude that, the only non-gaming thing I pay for is MS Office. Everything else you can find a decent freeware out there. I'm not a graphic editor, so don't need Photoshop.

Great thing about Office is that most big companies should be hooked up to the MS Home use Employee deal. I got a copy of Office (full version) years back for something like $15. Of course it's not the latest version, but good enough for me.

Ahmed

I want to add MailBird (a desktop email client). if you have multiple email accounts, this is a great tool.

womfalcs3

Banned
I guess Windows, but that comes with every PC built into the price. If I exclude that, the only non-gaming thing I pay for is MS Office. Everything else you can find a decent freeware out there. I'm not a graphic editor, so don't need Photoshop.

Great thing about Office is that most big companies should be hooked up to the MS Home use Employee deal. I got a copy of Office (full version) years back for something like $15. Of course it's not the latest version, but good enough for me.
And even if you were a graphic editor, I would think GIMP (which is a freeware) covers most features of Photoshop.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the only software i've paid for (that isn't a game) is Windows. even then i don't give MS what they ask. i get it cheap. Windows 10 Pro is £230 but i paid £35 for it.

i am considering buying Ableton for making some music and that cost €80-600 but i'd probably go with the €600 version which is roughly £525.

Zenaku

Painter 2018, still need to put time aside to do a bit of drawing/painting.

Also subbed to PhotoShop but haven't really used it in months. Was planning to cancel, but I'm gonna toy with Unreal Engine again, so I might need it to play with textures, normal maps etc.

Would like to get zBrush, but with a flat to pay for I can't afford the expense atm.

FLstudio
ClipStudioPaint
zbrush

I'm not fond of software as a service, don't want my software being held hostage. Think software should have the ability to be installable on multiple machines, preferably DRM free.

If I see free lifetime updates, that's a very good plus and it gives me a strong incentive to buy.

I can see software as a service being necessary for security related apps, as those obligatorily need constant updates, but even then the software should still be allowed to function while being out of date even if it offers less security. But other apps? The updates are usually nice but not absolutely necessary, and the software as is is often quite fully functional, don't see why I should be forced to buy constant updates or have my software stop working, it feels kind of scammy.

I will do my best to avoid any (SaaS)software as a service piece of sofware.

any more suggestions?
Oh checked my email backlog, and it seems there was a recent release of real illusion's character creator 3. That's definitely on the To Buy list

real illusion has a lot of cool stuff. Like their motion capture software. Maybe I missed it, but one would think custom 3d motion captured characters would be more common in streams and in youtube videos. But aside from the hacked MMD kinect anime girls, haven't seen much variety.

Last edited:

Ahmed

I want to add total commander, an old school file manager (will remind you of norton commander)

C:\CD NC5
C:\NC5\NC 5CD

Azurro

Banned
I want to add total commander, an old school file manager (will remind you of norton commander)

C:\CD NC5
C:\NC5\NC 5CD

Yeah, that's pretty nice, if only because it allows you to drill down into .jar files and see why the hell the program doesn't run. :p

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Well, you kind of already paid for Mac OS with how overpriced Macs are. :(

Ha! Yeah...that is absolutely true! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Here is my computer, and if I remember correctly, I foolishly paid around $2700 back then.
(Through two years of financing, of course.)

ailynnsmac_by_ailynn_shinsamus-dcrvob0.png

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
I mostly buy music software. I got Pro Tools, Fruity Loops, Serato, a bunch of expansions from Native Instruments. I been thinking about buying Ableton but I don't know if I really need it.

20cent

Banned
-Sketching apps (Sketchbook / ProCreate) on tablet and PC (iPad/Surface). But Sketchbook is free now.
-Remotix - easily control my Mac Mini Plex Station hooked to my TV from a Windows computer. Works like AirDisplay (I think?).
-Comics/manga readers (iPad / Android), free ones suck.
-ZetaTorrent (bitorrent client for Android phone), paid to stay ad-free.
-Dashlane (multiplatform password manager and more), I just paid few dollars to extend my trial another months as I was too lazy to export my database, following a tiny bug they compensated early adopters with a lifetime subscription..

And Windows, if not included / building a PC.

That's it.

Last edited:

DS_Joost

I get my income from music, so all the software regarding that is paid for. I've paid for Cubase, Reason, Digital Performer, Reaper and am now on Studio One as it feels like Cubase without the bloat, with features implemented for the 21st century.

Don't ask me what I spend on sample libraries and software instruments though... let's just say that even roughly estimating that is enough to give me a depression...

I could never do any professional work without buying the software legally though. I know some of these developers, they are human beings, and they put blood, sweat and tears into this shit, and they need to eat too. So, if you gain a lot of productivity out of something, support those developers. It'll gain you a lot in the end. You won't believe the kinds of discounts I sometimes get on new, shiny stuff.

JCK75

Several Copies of Windows
DVDFAB
MakeMKV
Substance Painter/Designer
Several Paid addons for Blender (Pro Skies, RetopoFlow, Flip Fluids)
I have a Photoshop Subscription even though I mostly use Krita
Wallpaper Engine

Hudo

Donated to the Gentoo project once. But I can't really remember paying for software. One reason of this might also be that I'm mostly using Linux (and BSD) for work and they are primed towards open source software anyway. The other reason, well...actually I'm using licenses from work... (But at least I'm not pirating stuff, I guess).

Dunki

Since I now work in the IT industry and also do consulting I buy everything I use. Many free ware tools just lack the kid of support you mostly get by buying software,

nemiroff

Gold Member
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum and tons and tons of plugins.. hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth. My estimation is that I use 2% of the package capabilities, lol.. I mostly jam with my self on guitar. So I should start using my synths and start making music again..

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Adobe CC suite (primarily Photoshop and Lightroom, some Premiere/AE, and Acrobat obvs, also lots of mileage out of the iOS stuff like Adobe Fill and Sign for business)
Various Photoshop/LR plugins for post-processing e.g. Nik Collection, Topaz Labs
Logic Pro
Native Instruments Komplete
Arturia V Collection, various other Arturia plugins
Korg Collection
Waves Platinum
Serum, Sylenth1, Thorn, Cthulhu, etc. etc. individual soft synths and other audio plugins
Flowkey
NeoGAF licenses for Xenforo and all manner of add-ons of course

Oh checked my email backlog, and it seems there was a recent release of real illusion's character creator 3. That's definitely on the To Buy list

real illusion has a lot of cool stuff. Like their motion capture software. Maybe I missed it, but one would think custom 3d motion captured characters would be more common in streams and in youtube videos. But aside from the hacked MMD kinect anime girls, haven't seen much variety.

That is quite impressive.

I was interested in buying the latest Photoshop a year or so ago. Then I found out it was subscription based only - and really expensive.

Hudo

Donated to the Gentoo project once. But I can't really remember paying for software. One reason of this might also be that I'm mostly using Linux (and BSD) for work and they are primed towards open source software anyway. The other reason, well...actually I'm using licenses from work... (But at least I'm not pirating stuff, I guess).
Inspired by this thread, I deemed it necessary to also donate something to the Debian project. And so I did.

Winchester

What I've paid for off the top of my head:

Royal TS
Windscribe VPN (Lifetime)
Stardock Fences
Boson Netsim/Exam Environment

Ones that I'd like to buy in the future:

Plex Lifetime
Lastpass (though the free version pretty much handles everything I need)

Top Bottom