• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some 4chan idiot creates fake Twitter woman to falsely allege Seth Rogen is harasser

Playsage

Rogen has tweeted a screen of DMs he sent to Donald Trump Jr. (for context https://youtu.be/HLyTqtxGEKk?t=1m4s)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/918493254256963584

Soon after he got swarmed by people of "a certain side of today's political debate" reposting tweets from an account known as Dana Jade where this woman was openly accusing him of harassing her.
The account was banned after being confirmed it was a bot (apparently the account was made just to attack him)

Are there other ongoing examples of this?

There's going to be a long list. Basically, anyone who attacks the right in any kind of impactful, public way will have bullshit thrown at them.

So the people who constantly scream about how scared they are of false accusations immediately start throwing false accusations at someone because they want to silence them? Shocking.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
mr88FYM.png

5CyFS0a.png

7OXaf5Y.png

CQHcWKd.png

SbOhaBl.png

Permanently A

Wow, that's dangerous as fuck. I can see those guys also hijacking the "you must believe the woman or you're sexist" line of thought to fuel false accusations. Wow. This is fucking insidious.

danthefan

Twitter is a cesspit. A lot of people are coming forward with stories of harassment and abuse and they're getting mixed in with this rubbish.

dani_dc

Unfortunately I expect more false accusations to come, to both discredit the movement as well as to attack particular people.

Hopefully they'll all be has obvious as this one.

entremet

Yeah, this is pandora's box of using Twitter for this stuff.

There's a fine balance between given others a platform to voice harassment and then that being weaponized by bots.

Yep as soon as this stuff started to bubble up something fierce I knew it would be co opted immediately by the altright and bots. It's dangerous because it's made to discredit accusations while also saying if you don't believe these obvious fake accusations from fake people you are denying all women coming forward. Sinister.

Yeah, this is pandora's box of using Twitter for this stuff.

There's a fine balance between given others a platform to voice harassment and then that being weaponized by bots.
I don't think the line is that thin for something like weaponizing sexual assault against vulnerable women and men

Ri'Orius

I don't think the line is that thin for something like weaponizing sexual assault against vulnerable women and men

It can be very hard to distinguish from the outside. This time it was obvious, but it can't be hard to build up a reasonable-looking account over the course of a couple years before detonating it...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
And of course Milogiannis is being cited as a news source in there. Of course.

I don't know how these people function, with a brain that can't identify such a blatant shit-stirrer for what he is.

That's the real surreal thing. The same group constantly crying about "false flags" and all that jazz.

They really believe it, so they figure they should fight fire with fire. I think a lot of people don’t realize that. These people aren’t self aware of their hypocrisy, they think everyone cheats and plays dirty so them doing it not really cheating, it’s just leveling the playing field, that it’s fair. False flags, fake news, orchestrated mobbing, etc, they don’t have the mental capacity to understand that anything that goes against them is legitimate, everything is a conspiracy against them so they must conspire to beat it. Theyre absolutely fucking crazy.

Maxim726X

Man, Twitter really is fucking garbage isn't it?

If you're a celebrity, just don't have one. Gives you one less avenue to deal with bullshit.

G.O.O.

So we can expect a wave of false accusations from the alt-right in the next few days, in order to present the real ones as unreliable. That's the most important thing I'm reading from this.

Ithil

So we can expect a wave of false accusations from the alt-right in the next few days, in order to present the real ones as unreliable. That's the most important thing I'm reading from this.

No, they won't present the real ones as unreliable because Weinstein is more associated with the democrats, so it's ammo for them. That's why all the accusations against Trump were blanket denied by them, while these are being used as a basis for made up accusations against any celeb who is against Trump.

They have absolutely zero empathy or morality so there is no level they won't stoop to. What's more, they think everyone else is like them and that they're "just doing what the other side is doing" even though they're the only ones doing all this amoral false flag bullshit.

I know it seems a petty form of comeuppance towards Twitter, but I’ve finally deleted Twitter from my phone as a result of the boycott the other day. It feels great to be removed from such a toxic, reactionary platform. And honestly, GAF suffers from the same instant reactionary language and behavior. Measured responses are needed during this time in our lives.

I encourage everyone to bail on Twitter as a start though.

Volimar

It's not Twitter, it's people. If it wasn't Twitter it'd be Facebook or instagram or tumblr. As long as people can have that kind of instant access to mass attention, there will be assholes who use it for their own ends. And sometimes those ends mean despicable agendas.

Let's not forget that Terry Crews used Twitter to share his story, and even after her idiotic ban, Rose McGowan continues to use hers to fight. So yes it gives shitheads a chance to cause harm, but it gives everyone else the platform to fight the harm and support each other.

It's not Twitter, it's people. If it wasn't Twitter it'd be Facebook or instagram or tumblr. As long as people can have that kind of instant access to mass attention, there will be assholes who use it for their own ends. And sometimes those ends mean despicable agendas.

Let's not forget that Terry Crews used Twitter to share his story, and even after her idiotic ban, Rose McGowan continues to use hers to fight. So yes it gives shitheads a chance to cause harm, but it gives everyone else the platform to fight the harm and support each other.

Twitter is legitimately trash though.

There are verified Pizzagaters.

Nitsuj23

It is kind of harassment. He doesn't really think Don Jr would denounce his own father, does he?

That's harassment to you? I'm curious to see what you call actual harassment.

Politely asking someone to do something you think they won't do is now harassment to some people? Jesus.

Furthermore, DT Jr. follows him. He can easily unfollow to stop receiving messages. It's his choice to receive private messages from Seth.

Nitsuj23

Quit painting with a broad brush here, that account is very clearly a personal account of some /pol/ reject who very quickly and sloppily changed the avatar to a woman once they got marching orders to harass Rogen.

I doubt it's a Russian too, but what's stopping a Russian from having a personal account on /pol/? That has nothing to do with the origin of the account.

Sou Da

I doubt it's a Russian too, but what's stopping a Russian from having a personal account on /pol/? That has nothing to do with the origin of the account.

Just always been uncomfortable with the terms used, the Russian "troll farms" had names. It's not a big deal.

JCHandsom

Wow, that's dangerous as fuck. I can see those guys also hijacking the "you must believe the woman or you're sexist" line of thought to fuel false accusations. Wow. This is fucking insidious.

That's low, even for them.

Actually, not really, it's par for the course.

Top Bottom