• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some guy leaked FFXV's story six months ago | up: newer 4chan stuff as of Dec 9th

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wonder what Noct did to make some random drunk angry at him.

tumblr_ohvpxwSwqm1rnjkgko4_1280.png

This should be a fight with Glauca given that Gladio lost his father to him. It would be a cool boss fight too. Glauca could be dead though.

Gbraga

this is the most FFXV post ever

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some of the things we know and love about Nier and its connection to Drakengard are from Grimoire Nier, a companion book that was never officially translated to english.

No one seems to have an issue with that.

At least Cosmogony is part of the actual game.

This should be a fight with Glauca given that Gladio lost his father to him. It would be a cool boss fight too. Glauca could be dead though.

That would be awesome!

Which part of , we'll fight our fate by doing exactly what the bad guy fated us to do" makes sense

It's not a good story, but you can follow it just fine. It makes sense in the narrative flow.

When I hear people talking about super convoluted and nonsencial stories, I think of being unable to even understand what's happening. Being able to follow everything but thinking it's garbage is a different issue. Or at least that's the way I see it.

They actually are not similar in narrative design at all, like even remotely. Souls games are about piecing together the history of the world, it makes sense that most of the storytelling is done through forensics, as it were. You're always a latecomer in the world of Dark Souls, arriving after the big events that shaped the world. Final Fantasy XV just has gaps because they didn't have enough time to fill it in.

But what about the history of Eos? You're not around when Bahamut comes to Tenebrae and chooses his Oracle. You're not around when Insomnia closes itself inside its walls 30 years ago, and the rest of Lucis gets cut off from technology. You're not in Tenebrae when Luna is talking to the press, so you listen to it on the radio. There's no reason why people would come to you and give convoluted explanations about that world, so Nocits only hears it if you want to hear it, through optional stuff.

Souls games also have the current time plot, in Dark Souls it's link the flame and succeed Lord Gwyn, in Bloodborne it's halt the spreading scourge of beasts to escape this nightmare. In FFXV it's Reclaim Your Throne.

I don't think FFXV is nearly as good as Bloodborne, but I also think there are similarities. And I don't think they're just accidents, with the way they're paced. There's a very obvious lack of direct, mandatory storytelling concerning events that Noctis isn't a part of. We see the story through his eyes, so we only read and hear about things when Noct isn't there, with a few exceptions.

I'll say it again in case it's not yet clear: I don't think it succeeded completely, and I think there should be more cutscenes, including off-screen events that Noctis isn't a part of, but it seems like a conscious decision to me. At least when it comes to the larger lore of Eos.

The main difference is that FFXV sort of falls into this storytelling style by accident, not because they purposefully wrote it that way. There's a ton more dialogue in FFXV than any of the Souls (or King's Field, etc etc) games, and it tries to present a forward-facing story all the time. Clues about the meat of the story in Souls is linked to supplemental bits of writing hidden around the world in relevant (usually, anyway) places. There's a logic to it, when it's at its best at least.

FFXV is very up front about its story beats and dedicates a lot of time to direct exposition, it's just not very good exposition. There is supplemental writing which is sort of like Souls, I guess, but the supplemental writing in FFXV is 1. in a movie not included with the game and 2. in radio shows (I actually really liked these, but I wish they played in the car instead of forcing you to stand still in restaurants) and books that are often in places completely irrelevant to the main story.

Basically, any similarities between the two seem accidental to me. FFXV is way too direct with cutscenes and dialogue to make me believe they were trying to go for the style of mystery the Souls games do. I'm not even saying one style is better than the other, I just fundamentally don't believe that's what they were trying to do with FF.

For the main character-driven story? For sure, any similarities comes from issues with the narrative. I agree.

But all the similarities for world building seem very conscious. I immediately thought of Souls too when I first started to explore the lore through the game, but didn't mention it before because Souls is pretty much all I play these days, so I just shrugged it off as "what else would I compare it to?"

Gbraga

I don't think so. It seemed like he was very wounded at the end of KG to me

It definitely seems like he's breathing in his very last scene. I just assumed he died anyway since he isn't a boss in the game, but I never considered the DLCs.

So now I'm still thinking he's alive.

This would be a nice addition, actually. Something they could theoretically add in future updates.

Basically, when you camp or stay at a motel, the doggy Umbra shows up and delivers a message to you from Luna. She can include pictures, and you can choose responses (maybe on a paragraph-by-paragraph basis) and include pictures yourself. Your responses and included pics could net you EXP, AP, etc. But most importantly, it would be building the bond between Luna and Noctis (and in turn Luna and the Player). Similar to the end-of-day emails between Olimar and his family in Pikmin 2.

I'd really like this. Especially if the letters are voiced by Luna as you read them. Maybe even cut to a scene of Luna writing the letters as the letters are read. Good way to squeeze in extra emotion.

That would be fantastic!

I think Luna is a strong heroine. She doesn't fight, but that doesn't matter. She resolved at a young age to fulfill her destiny, even if it meant her untimely demise. That takes courage and that takes strength.

I just wish we got more scenes with her. Perhaps they'll reinstate some Luna scenes in the coming updates, or better yet, maybe they'll go ahead with the Luna DLC chapter (they said they were entertaining it due to fan demand) and further develop her.
I still find it bizarre that people believe this.

She's not a heroine. She's not even a character. She's a plot device that serves Noctis' needs.

Ray Down

Banned
The poster made one more post in the thread before it was achieved, nothing much out of it other than he doesn't know what Ito is doing.

And the janitor rumors go on!

Don't know if there's another thread, don't know how to find shit on 4chan.

Gbraga

It is absolutely pathetic. I don't buy the whole "dlc is new content developed after the game releases by SE" So many things are missing.

The leaker that got almost everything right said this:

"Yeah, its coming, but they don't know what yet except one about Gladio since there's almost nothing about him in game. They're more worried about main game now."

So I don't have a reason to think it's cut content from the game. They just did this little thing in the story to make it fit into the overall narrative, since it takes place during the game, instead of before or after.

Sure, you could argue that they should just delay the game until each of those chapters are ready and include them, but that's not very realistic with what we know.

As long as the changes and improvement to the main game remain free, I really don't mind the playable bro episodes being DLC. I even hope they add an option to play them during the game, like having a prompt asking if you want to play the Gladio episode when he leaves, instead of only having that option from the menu.

Falk

that puzzling face
It is absolutely pathetic. I don't buy the whole "dlc is new content developed after the game releases by SE" So many things are missing.

Consider this premise: (And this is ignoring everything in the 4chan discussions)

- Fan feedback requests to play the bros. It's in fact pretty high on the recurring discussions for the game, especially around/after Episode Duscae

- As it is, playing any of the other three characters is... rather pointless... as opposed to playing Noctis who can do what any of them do - 2H sword and shield, daggers and knives, guns and machinery - while also being far more versatile by virtue of warping. In other words, they need additional compelling hooks to gameplay, which would take additional development time, from game design, to animation, to testing and balancing. (Please don't say dolphin diving as Prompto is a compelling hook)

- By your own analysis, the game already was strained on resources.

What are they supposed to do, shuffle resources around to have four playable characters at the further cost of other parts of the game?

I mean, yeah, in some ideal alternate timeline all of this would have been completed, ready to go as one complete package on the game's release date, but think about your own sentence for a minute - this isn't a case of stuff already being on the disc but locked away till you fork out $ after someone throws a switch.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The only DLC I have suspicions about is Ignis'. I have to wonder if the details of his injury were in the original script but were later planned to be DLC and star Ignis himself, especially since it likely takes place in Altissia, which has a map already laid out for it.

Gladio's and Prompto's were clearly added to the story as bookmarks for the devs, though. Like, "yeah, we can make something about them and put it here later"

Gbraga

The only DLC I have suspicions about is Ignis'. I have to wonder if the details of his injury were in the original script but were later planned to be DLC and star Ignis himself, especially since it likely takes place in Altissia, which has a map already laid out for it.

Gladio's and Prompto's were clearly added to the story as bookmarks for the devs, though. Like, "yeah, we can make something about them and put it here later"

You know what would be cool? If Ignis' DLC only starts with the injury, screen goes black, we only hear audio for a couple of minutes, and most of it is actually a flashback while he's recovering. Since it looks like each bro is getting a unique map for their DLC, let Ignis' take place in past Insomnia.

With the superior Brotherhood hair.

Consider this premise: (And this is ignoring everything in the 4chan discussions)

- Fan feedback requests to play the bros. It's in fact pretty high on the recurring discussions for the game, especially around/after Episode Duscae

I mean, yeah, in some ideal alternate timeline all of this would have been completed, ready to go as one complete package on the game's release date, but think about your own sentence for a minute - this isn't a case of stuff already being on the disc but locked away till you fork out $ after someone throws a switch.

You do make a great point here that it isn't locked on disc but I do feel that if these parts were included in the game and expanded on at RELEASE we'd get more impact on Gladio and even Prompto because when he's
revealed to be an MT it had zero impact on the player because there was no buildup to it. All we gt is a guidebook that says Verstael is his father but it is never stated anywhere else
I guess that is my huge gripe with party members leaving with no impact that i'd sacrifice Noct's story a bit for that buildup. Also, yeah the 4chan stuff is a bit of a red flag so I don't necessarily believe it either.

wanders

A story that is in the background and requires you to look for details in the game world, like exploration, side character dialogue, and a lot of hidden text that not everyone ends up reading.

Souls games have incredibly bare bones story when it comes to cutscenes and exposition, You need to actually dig into item descriptions and explore a lot to find out about the world.

Just like in FFXV where the cutscenes don't give you the full story and you actually have to look for details in the world for explanations to some of the finer points. For example, the radio snippets, the mythology books strewn around the world, and the newspapers/research papers that you need to explore to find.

Sorry to break it to you dude, but it's actually pretty similar to how souls games approach story telling.

I sense a bit of denial.

Soul's story is bare by design and was thought out.

FFXV's story is bare because of poor planning, rushed development and a slew of other problems.

Love how blatantly they state that the whole Gladio leaving is just an excuse for DLC lmao.

Which is probably how the "leaker" got his information IMO. Almost everything the "leaker" said is information that was already out there in previous interviews or materials, like the picture I posted explicitly talking about DLC scenarios.

Which is probably how the "leaker" got his information IMO. Almost everything the "leaker" said is information that was already out there in previous interviews or materials, like the picture I posted explicitly talking about DLC scenarios.

No way. The leaker got legit everything right. The only two things he got wrong (not completely black clothes and monster Ardyn) can be explained by changes from later in development. He absolutely knew stuff that wasn't shown revealed or talked about.

It's not a good story, but you can follow it just fine. It makes sense in the narrative flow.

When I hear people talking about super convoluted and nonsencial stories, I think of being unable to even understand what's happening. Being able to follow everything but thinking it's garbage is a different issue. Or at least that's the way I see it.

the internal logic of the characters and the story make no sense

duckroll

I don't understand. Why would you not believe that the DLC is developed after the game is released, when you acknowledge that it is likely that the DLC is based on content which was meant to be in the game but not in it because all signs point to them being unable to finish anything in the game on time? Wouldn't that logic support the suggestion that the DLC is developed after the release of the game? :p

It's not like S-E made this huge expansive perfect game and then decided to chop out completed bits to sell them later. They can't even complete the base game itself to the satisfaction of many fans, and feel obligated to keep patching and fixing shit, adding new cutscenes, etc. They're not making any money from doing that.

I don't understand. Why would you not believe that the DLC is developed after the game is released, when you acknowledge that it is likely that the DLC is based on content which was meant to be in the game but not in it because all signs point to them being unable to finish anything in the game on time? Wouldn't that logic support the suggestion that the DLC is developed after the release of the game? :p

It's not like S-E made this huge expansive perfect game and then decided to chop out completed bits to sell them later. They can't even complete the base game itself to the satisfaction of many fans, and feel obligated to keep patching and fixing shit, adding new cutscenes, etc. They're not making any money from doing that.

Okay well I do remember SE putting up a huge blog statement that the dlc isn't going to be developed until they finish the game. Yes, I fell for the PR and yes I believed nearly anything Tabata said. That's why I feel wrecked about it now that the game wasn't what was expected.

PtM

Banned
Okay well I do remember SE putting up a huge blog statement that the dlc isn't going to be developed until they finish the game. Yes, I fell for the PR and yes I believed nearly anything Tabata said. That's why I feel wrecked about it now that the game wasn't what was expected.
Err…
But…
If they threw things out, how does this suggest they've been working on DLC?

Philippo

So, if we take these leaks for real, what do you realistically expect to be added in over the course of, i don't know let's say a year or even two, of updates?

-More/Better integration of Kingsglaive scenes
-In general more story cutscenes
-More Luna screentime through cutscenes, fleshing out more sides of her character (for examble being beaten up by Calligo)
-(Way) more Ravus material, what are his real intentions and feelings, and what happens to him in the end
-More cutscenes about Iedolas and Verstael
-More/Better implementation of the world's lore (at least let me collect and re-read the books, maybe add more about things other than the Cosmogony)
-More Cor screentime
-Rewrite some lines, like Noctis and Iris date, it's like he barely acknowledges her existence
-Add dialogue for car rides/walk, as well as radio/NPCs chats

-Improve NPC density in cities
-Make the Lestallum power plant a proper dungeon
-Expand Altissia
-Add Luna to some parts of the Leviathan fight (when fighting imperials mostly)
-Add an area between Altissia and the mines (there was that Greece inspired town with a forest surrounding, bring it back!)
-Expand the mine area, make some optional space to have some hunts
-Make a small area of Tenebrae explorable, let us participate in the daemon invasion
-Give us the possibility to travel back and forth between these by train before moving to Gralea (basically make from Ch.13 onward the only 100% part)
-Add the whole World of Ruin segment, with Lestallum, searching for your buddies and meeting with Old Iris and Old Cindy

This is pretty much all the leaks mentioned, and i hope they get to insert all of it to some extent. Might be too much though, but SE might be crazy enough to do it, especially if the material is already there.

Also, kind of a pipe dream, but i hope the'll let us hang out with Luna a bit, just to actual create some bonding between the player and her, and to see Noctis&Co. interact with her for real. But this might mean to rewrite the script, so who knows.

Akainu

Am I crazy or are spoiler tags in a leak thread pointless.

I always thought the requests to play as the Bros were along the line of having controllable party members
Yeah that was one of the things versus was going for how can anyone misconstrue?

SolVanderlyn

Great!

Now I know not to buy the DLC!!!
It's not like they took that story out and shrewdly clasped their hands together while saying "Heh heh heh... stupid consumers will buy anything these days!! CUT THE SCENE WHERE GLADIO GETS HIS SCAR AND MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT!"

The DLC stuff is extra. They created story beats in the main game to make it so that there are periods of time where we can feasibly play as each of the bros in a solo mission. It's not an evil Square Enix nickle and dime scheme, it is legitimate new content.

Akainu

It's not like they took that story out and shrewdly clasped their hands together while saying "Heh heh heh... stupid consumers will buy anything these days!! CUT THE SCENE WHERE GLADIO GETS HIS SCAR AND MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT!"

The DLC stuff is extra. They created story beats in the main game to make it so that there are periods of time where we can feasibly play as each of the bros in a solo mission. It's not an evil Square Enix nickle and dime scheme, it is legitimate new content.

To nick and dime you to play conveniently missing story content.

SolVanderlyn

To nick and dime you to play conveniently missing story content.
That's missing the point. Had they not had these DLCs in mind, these "gaps" in the story would simply not exist. The gaps were designed to fit the DLC. It is extra story content created after the main game was shipped and there is no way they could have finished it in time for the main game, which is already likely missing a ton of stuff they wanted to put in.

HeelPower

Oh I believe it.I totally understand SE barely had time to put the game together.

I just don't think this new DLC is worth buying.

Gbraga

Oh I believe it.I totally understand SE barely had time to put the game together.

I just don't think this new DLC is worth buying.

The concept art showed brand new places, and the director of Gladio's DLC (which is supposed to be action focused) worked on Bloodborne.

I thought it would be half assed and taking place in the same map, but seeing the art and hearing that about the director made me pretty interested.

No reason to rush and buy the season pass, of course, it's not going anywhere, but I wouldn't pass on it before watching at least a gameplay trailer of the first DLC.

I just spoiled my face by reading the second quoted paragraph in the OP's message. No one to blame but my curiosity...

I spoiled
Luna dying by reading a quote once by accident.

I figured she'd kick the bucket anyway. Not as sad as if Iris had died. At least I got to know Iris a little.

Oh fuck, that back-of-the-box description gets me every time.

I remember in my complete young innocence believeing that Haeresis XIII would combine characters from XIII, Versus and Agito to form some sort of an epic crossover/finale style game. hahaha

God how different the future turned out to be...

Ydelnae

Wonder if these leaked artworks were from before the game was rewritten..
91dnfN6.jpg

These artworks were made as part of a "contest" of some sort in the development team, they had to portray "childhood" in relation to Final Fantasy XV. That's why the middle artwork has Cor babysitting Gladio, Ignis and Noctis and why the third one has child versions of every character having fun in the Regalia.

It even goes back to the name Noctis Lucis Caelum.
Lucis = l'Cie. They're pronounced the same or very similarly in Japanese ("lu-shi-su" vs. "lu-shi"). Caelum = Latin for "Ciel" = the French word that "l'Cie" is an anagram of.

Was l'Cie really meant to be an anagram of Ciel, or was it just a stylized take on the Italian "Luci"(like Lucis, originated from the Latin "Lux"), hinting that within the FNC, the l'Cie ARE those games version of the "Warriors of Light" (sacred warriors CHOSEN by the crystals, which within the FNC, tend to be the fal'Cie).

"Wasted Potentials!" should be the tagline on every single FF games posters, boxes and commercials
Don't know about ALL of them. Hate to sound like an old fuck, but they never USED to be wasted potential. They used to be nice, complete experiences that left you satisfied by the games end. I miss that kind of thing.

Top Bottom