• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some unkown game called God of War has been reviewed by IGN.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
9.5 Presentation
Everything except the painfully obvious text prompts is great. Ditch those the next time around or suffer my wrath.
10 Graphics
Top of its class. The only thing more impressive than God of War's technology is God of War's art.
10 Sound
All of the sound could have been a part of Return of the King and it still would have won Oscars.
9.5 Gameplay
The platforming elements need to take hints from Sands of Time and the puzzles could do with a little more thought and a little less block pushing. Everything else is nearly perfect.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Hey other developers! See all that wacky crap that opens up after you beat GOW? See how it's all candid and fluff free? Yeah, now you suckers do that, too.
9.8 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

DAMN

This is one killer week for Sony!

Also, isn't PS3 suppose to be announced before April? Maybe next week too?!

Mrbob

ninja gaiden da best said:
Yeah, it beat it by DMC3 by 0.2, and Ninja Gaiden by 0.4

MY GOD, the HUGE GAP IN QUALITY!!!!

Relax dude. Take a chill and reval in the brilliance which is going to be God of War.

teiresias

ninja gaiden da best said:
Yeah, it beat it by DMC3 by 0.2, and Ninja Gaiden by 0.4

MY GOD, the HUGE GAP IN QUALITY!!!!

Judging by your name I'm guessing you're in full defensive damage control mode at this point.

IJoel

Hopefully it doesn't share the retarded save system in DMC3.

As a matter of fact I might trade in DMC3 for some credit for GoW. GoW must be mine!

Mrbob

IJoel said:
Hopefully it doesn't share the retarded save system in DMC3.

As a matter of fact I might trade in DMC3 for some credit for GoW. GoW must be mine!

You might as well. I'm trading in DMC3 as well.

FUCK YES!

now I just need da monies :/ Why, Sony, why do you release the PSP and one of your best 1st party PS2 games ever within two days of each other?

Love you anyway, never change.

sly

Banned
Woot! David Jaffe will be so happy, he was lurking around the IGN Boards waiting for the score! :lol

olimario

Banned
With a score like this I can't ignore it, but the combat and control in the in-store demo didn't impress me. I went through the fight with that dragon head and it seemed like standard button mashing. I like the strings of attacks you can pull off in the DMC titles. Perhaps I just haven't figured it out in GoW yet.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy shit. Hopefully this gets more people to take notice. A lot of people I talk to still haven't heard of this game.

jett

D-Member
:lol David Jaffe is really insecure about GoW, isn't he? :p

Hopefully all these scores and praise translates into big sales. Can't wait to get my copy.

acklame

olimario said:
With a score like this I can't ignore it, but the combat and control in the in-store demo didn't impress me. I went through the fight with that dragon head and it seemed like standard button mashing. I like the strings of attacks you can pull off in the DMC titles. Perhaps I just haven't figured it out in GoW yet.
You should grab the demo and play it at home. What I really liked about the system is that you can chain together so many crazy shit. It feels so fluid and you are in complete control as you can cancel your move mid-way and switch to something else. You can get hundreds or even thousand hits combo if you know what to do.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
One game has slow, boring gameplay, the other has fast lightning and awesome gameplay

Not very hard to choose :D

Amir0x

Banned
Not in a very long time have I been so completely absorbed in an action title. God of War boasts an incredibly developed combat system, the ultimate combination of artistic integrity and technical wizardry, an utterly brilliant collection of music and sound effects, and a storyline so satisfying its culmination left me in a giddy stupor. Buy it or face damnation.

Yes. YES. This game is going to be BEYOND AWESOME.

Amir0x

Banned
peedi said:
I give you that.

Seriously, though, GoW is a favorite for GOTY.

OMG according to IGN Resident Evil 4 = God of War!!11

But seriously, you're acting like this is the Oscars :p

None of them should be compared because they're both filled with gooey-goodness.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
olimario said:

It's easy to fall into button mashing in this game, but you need to not dial in combos with speed but rather time your next button press with the animation.

peedi said:
I give you that.

Seriously, though, GoW is a favorite for GOTY.

Hehe.. i was just joking arround... but seriously

Resident 4 could be either one of your options... the GOTY, or the 3rd new installment on gamecube... Zero, REmake, and 4.

koam

Where the hell did this game come from? I just started hearing about it a 3 weeks ago, never heard anything before that and suddenly, 9.8? Higher than RE4? WTF? Guess I'll be picking this up when I get TS:FP now.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
truesayian said:
What's Resident Evil 4 got to do with this disscussion?

As much as I liked RE4... if God of War can bring that same intensity, but actually introduce compelling characters in a decent story, I feel it has a good chance of trumping it.

Whatever the case may be, the action genre (since MGS3) has never been better.

Ivan's reviews are pretty worthless, he rates everything at least 0.5 higher than it should be so I'm not going to get excited for it just yet. That said, i've got high expectations from the vids that have been knocking around recently.

mr_sockochris said:
Ivan's reviews are pretty worthless, he rates everything at least 0.5 higher than it should be so I'm not going to get excited for it just yet. That said, i've got high expectations from the vids that have been knocking around recently.

Well if it makes you feel any better, 2 mags reviewed it and gave it 2 10's (GI) and a 9.5 (Play).

Comparing numerical scores across systems that were rated by different individuals on one of the least credible gaming sites = :|

RE4's 9.8 =/= God of War's 9.8

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Ivan Sulic has got to be one of the worst "professional" reviewers out there. Probably second only to Frank Provo from Gamespot.

Not to take any props from God of War, just saying...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The commercials for this game SUCK. It doesn't portray a game that is recieving these excellent scores. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and show some of that excellent gameplay in a new TV spot. Granted its nots Mario Sunshine fiasco level but it still doesn't grab my attention.

Edit: Speak of the Devil commercial just came on during Surreal Life and its all CG. I HATE that.

bigfurb

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Comparing numerical scores across systems that were rated by different individuals on one of the least credible gaming sites = :|

RE4's 9.8 =/= God of War's 9.8
Exactly, we all know that despite the identical scores God of War is the superior product :D :D :D

Top Bottom