• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some unkown game called God of War has been reviewed by IGN.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Comparing numerical scores across systems that were rated by different individuals on one of the least credible gaming sites = :|

RE4's 9.8 =/= God of War's 9.8

Arguing over any score is stupid, moreso the further after the decimal place the contentious number is.

pj

Banned
Wario64 said:
9.5 Gameplay
The platforming elements need to take hints from Sands of Time and the puzzles could do with a little more thought and a little less block pushing.

David Jaffe made a big deal about how awesome the puzzles in GoW were, and how worthless they are in most games..

LukeSmith

peedi said:
Leading candidate for GOTY or the third installment in a grossly overrated franchise

Hmm..

Here a troll
there a troll
everywhere a troll troll.

Ban.

Good score for GoW. Look forward to checking it out.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
pj325is said:
David Jaffe made a big deal about how awesome the puzzles in GoW were, and how worthless they are in most games..

True. I'll reserve judgement until I get the final game, but the puzzles I have seen/played(e3/demo), haven't been garden-variety block pushing.

Jaffe has commented on using Zelda and Ico as inspiration, though. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So, as I said in the other thread, is this the highest score IGN ever gave this gen? Halo 2, RE4 and now GoW?

Jusging by your avatar I see you are the fellow adventure game fan, and yes I share the concern. I don't expect P&C level of puzzle difficulty and fleshed out-ness, but I do expect some ingenuity. If there's more mini puzzles like dealing with hydra on it's third encounter in the demo, I wouldn't mind that. If they mix puzzles with some precision and meaningful action, that could be good too - again even the simple block pushing in the demo was made more engaging by having to anticipate and dodge while pushing.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
ninja gaiden da best said:
Yeah, it beat it by DMC3 by 0.2, and Ninja Gaiden by 0.4

MY GOD, the HUGE GAP IN QUALITY!!!!
somebody needs to have their nappy changed

or their screen name

Wow, I expected it to be a quality game, but nowhere near this type of score.

Awesome news, anyway. Because this and RE4 have been the two games I've been looking forward to the most early this year.

sammy

WOW 9.8 --- and PSP launch in one week !! So excited that I made an extra thread in my stupor :lol

"I gotta lay back now, 'cause our concussion have me sleepy"

66 hit combos where can be ripped off, people are being used as weapons, getting their heads slammed into the ground, choked, and other senseless violence makes me very happy lol.

Gonna be a good week next week between PSP and lumines + GoW.

just a heads up, but if you are interested in GoW and have a Gamerush nearby, they are having a "Trade any 2 games in and preorder a new game for $29" deals. You still get the credit on your trade ins too, so those of you looking to unload DMC3, you could probably trade it, along with some other game, and still have some credit left over.

Cathcart

mr_sockochris said:
Ivan's reviews are pretty worthless, he rates everything at least 0.5 higher than it should be so I'm not going to get excited for it just yet. That said, i've got high expectations from the vids that have been knocking around recently.
Yeah it's really only a 9.3 and therefore a complete waste of time.

CT will be glitchy as hell pick up the champ God of War.

The correct answer is GameFly God of War and buy the Champ Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for the Xbox or PC. That is if you want the best bang for your buck.

CrimsonSkies said:
The correct answer is GameFly God of War and buy the Champ Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for the Xbox or PC. That is if you want the best bang for your buck.

Same here. Co-op and Live functionality make all the difference.

Amir0x

Banned
No no, get God of War so that David Jaffe can get our money and make an UBER SEQUEL>

Ubisoft will make a billion trillion off of Splinter Cell: CT anyway!

Mrbob

CrimsonSkies said:

Naw. Pandora Tommorrow online play wasn't that hot. Besides, what good is spending 50 bucks on a game if game crashing glitches keep on preventing you from playing it.

I remember reading an interview saying that David Jaffe bet his future promotion at Sony on how well God of War performs at retail.

This guy better get promoted. Twisted Metal, War of the Monsters, God of War...keep up the good work!

Solid

I love my PS2!!! :D

Too bad the PAL release in so freaking far away. GoW will probably suffer the same thing as RE4, it feels old by the time it gets here :lol

When will the video review be up? Anyone know?

Endymion

olimario said:
With a score like this I can't ignore it, but the combat and control in the in-store demo didn't impress me. I went through the fight with that dragon head and it seemed like standard button mashing. I like the strings of attacks you can pull off in the DMC titles. Perhaps I just haven't figured it out in GoW yet.

Kratos' abilities grow and add up as the game progresses. Enemy design is simply beyond what both Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry 3 had to offer. The demo refers just to a very early portion of the game ;)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
IGN vid review made an interesting statement about the replayability. Apparently normal difficulty doesn't offer up a lot of challenge, but Jaffe's team cushioned this blow by adding extra incentives to completing the more difficult modes a second time through.

New levels, new enemies, expanded cutscenes and plotlines, etc.. VERY NICE.

Oh and since the DMC3 comparison posturing never ends, I might as well chime in with my largest dissapointment of DMC3...ultra lame enemies. I can take the occasionally awful camera positions, work around the save structure, and the difficulty...not a problem; but why is such a thrilling and graceful combat engine put to use against such blaise demon foes. Mostly just speaking of the game's second half; those purple cloud puffs, the chess pieces, the fallen angels...boy did DMC1 serve up a tighter roster of thugs to rip on. (Bosses notwithstanding)

Damn, I can't believe God of War, PSP and DW5 are all releasing so close.

SantaC

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Comparing numerical scores across systems that were rated by different individuals on one of the least credible gaming sites = :|

RE4's 9.8 =/= God of War's 9.8

Matt's 9.8 is definitley higher if you check his track record this generation. The highest Matt rated a game before RE4 was 9.6.

Anyway, This game might be too good to pass on :p

We need this in Europe ASAP!

Watched the video review, the game looks top quality. the gameplay is just so cool. i really can't wait for this to be out.

Solid

Gah I didn't see the video review... I thought I payed for those... BUT I WAS WRONG!

Anyway, this looks ace! RE4 will be neat later on. This is indeed the year of the PS2 :D

Cold-Steel said:
I remember reading an interview saying that David Jaffe bet his future promotion at Sony on how well God of War performs at retail.

This guy better get promoted. Twisted Metal, War of the Monsters, God of War...keep up the good work!

He didn't do War of the Monsters.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Deepthroat said:
I love my PS2!!! :D

Too bad the PAL release in so freaking far away. GoW will probably suffer the same thing as RE4, it feels old by the time it gets here :lol

When will the video review be up? Anyone know?

Soo...how about that Gamespot score huh? :D

Mrbob

I've been burned on two UBI games this generation by not being able to finish them due to game killing bugs. I've never, *ever* had problems with game killing bugs in any games in the past. UBI has a tradition of not polishing their product at all.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time talking about such a poor company and would rather talk more about God of War!

Here is the link to the video review. Amazingly it doesn't look like it is insider only!

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/661/661321/vids_1.html

Solid

Kiriku said:
Soo...how about that Gamespot score huh? :D
I'm still not satisfied with the 9.3 score. Ninja Gaiden got 9.4.

But sure, a game got over 9. I was surprised by that. Looks like they're not totally anti PS2.

Here is the link to the video review. Amazingly it doesn't look like it is insider only!

IGN have been doing free video reviews for about a month now. but it seems some of the old stuff are still Insider only (atleast it was the last time i looked for an old video review)...but the new stuff i've seen have all been free inc. GT4, DMC3, Metroid Prime 2 etc

Littleberu said:
He didn't do War of the Monsters.

Well, yes and no. He's listed in the credits under Original Concept. And Monsters does run on the Black engine, which he was originally responsible for. But I don't think he did any actual new programming or designing for the game.

Mrbob said:
I've been burned on two UBI games this generation by not being able to finish them due to game killing bugs. I've never, *ever* had problems with game killing bugs in any games in the past. UBI has a tradition of not polishing their product at all.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time talking about such a poor company and would rather talk more about God of War!

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/661/661321/vids_1.html

Can someone give me a direct link to the video for download? The javascript is screwed up so I can't get the link for the download.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
acidviper said:
must break into ebgames and steal this game.

Looks like someone already has

DSC00695.jpg

Top Bottom