• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someguy named Reeves: “OH MIGHTY SALMON, PROTECT ME FROM BEAR, WHO WISHES TO HARM ME”

Kittonwy

Banned
Andrex said:
Almost as dumb as the "Since when does 3/5 = 6/10?" post.

You need to develop a sense of humor.
gladtomeetya.gif

maladroid

Andrex said:
Almost as dumb as the "Since when does 3/5 = 6/10?" post.
Ydahs said:
:lol :lol

link plz

I don't know the context of the post right now, but even though it's mathematically correct, I don't think it's a straight up doubling. For some reason, I've always correlated 3 and a half stars to a 7.5 out of 10.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
DCharlie said:
Vic_Reeves_Big_Night_Out_001_004_002_001.jpg

>> Did i ever tell you about how Mirror's Edge might be PS3 exclusive, except it's probably not?
> I heard that rumour!
>> I know , i started it !

> Do you know that all PS2 games will be backwards compatible through firmware by the end of the year?
>> You lying get!
> YOU lying get!

:lol

Awesome. You rule.

“I hope we will be day and date with US and I hope that we’ll get the same quantities as US as well,” said Reeves. “I don't think we’ll be disadvantaged. In fact I believe the first PS3s being manufactured are being made for Europe – which is a first." - David Reeves (pre-launch)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
lol - but isn't this a strategic decission made by the company ?

I don't think it is really. Maybe it's people's perception, particularly in Europe. And to a certain degree in Europe it might be true (i.e. pricing hasn't been as good on the euro stores vs other regions, perhaps..although relative to their competition it's probably not bad!)

But overall, SCE has been..to use someone elses words.."run like a charity" so far this generation.

dionysus

Yaldog
The one region where Sony still has maintained some of its ps2 glory and GAF thinks he will/should be fired... Unless he commits a PR error of epic proportions, the heads at Sony are only going to care about the bottom line.

DCharlie

Banned
I don't think it is really. Maybe it's people's perception, particularly in Europe. And to a certain degree in Europe it might be true (i.e. pricing hasn't been as good on the euro stores vs other regions, perhaps..although relative to their competition it's probably not bad!)

i would go with peoples perceptions on the current situation. but yeah i'd find it difficult to believe that a global head of any company could get on stage and deliver a message that differed from the stategic direction of Sony - espeically after Kutaragi's exploits, i'd have thought Stringer laid down the law.

Unless he commits a PR error of epic proportions, the heads at Sony are only going to care about the bottom line.

the PSP gaff was probably as bad as he could go - i don't think he'll be going anywhere in a hurry.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
i would go with peoples perceptions on the current situation. but yeah i'd find it difficult to believe that a global head of any company could get on stage and deliver a message that differed from the stategic direction of Sony - espeically after Kutaragi's exploits, i'd have thought Stringer laid down the law.

I would say the Leipzig presser was carefully planned with input from the other regions.

I'm just not sure I agree it carries a message of "let's rip the consumer". I'll have to admit to not actually watching the whole thing, I'm just going by the product announcements etc.

Reeves also does pretty much say whatever the heck he likes anyway. He's quite frank on the business side of things, maybe too frank for some people. But his division has handled SCE's most challenging product (i.e. PS3) better from a market performance POV than any of the others so I doubt anyone in Tokyo will be complaining.

The only people he raises eyebrows with with comments like these are probably the relative small proportion of industry observers (be it on boards like here or elsewhere).

when it comes to final fantasy (main games) he is right: the european versions have added things and some subsystems are realy more ironed out and the euro version usualy comes some time later as special edition in japan

maniac-kun said:
when it comes to final fantasy (main games) he is right: the european versions have added things and some subsystems are realy more ironed out and the euro version usualy comes some time later as special edition in japan

I dunno, I remember the ten billion year-long delayed FFX having the worst PAL conversion I'd seen since Street Fighter II on SNES.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
"People say, ‘Well, why do we always get things last? Why can’t we say things?’ Well, I’ve said this many times before: sometimes it’s an advantage to be last in Europe, you know, when everything’s ironed out."

Reeves, there's a job at NOE waiting just for you.

Anyway, last time I checked, some games that have had long localisations have had bugs introduced, like SPM, and most games come through unchanged anyway, so that excuse is moot.

Note to Reeves: I am European, I don't like game delays, or paying more for the privilege, Shut up a your face.

Kazenone

maniac-kun said:

Hasn't happened to a mainline FF since FFX but we did get a different version of FFIV Advanced which fixed the ATB bug found in the NA and JP ver. back in 2006.

Dabanton

Damm Reeves just can't catch a break can he? The whole Mirrors Edge thing wasn't even his fault.

At no point did he say it was PS3 exclusive timed or not.The journalist made his own assumptions and ran with it.

jorma

is now taking requests
This is getting beyond silly.

Does ANYONE think that EU would suddenly get things first if Reeves was fired? That somehow its his decision to delay stuff in Europe? That before Reeves, Europe was showered in games that were released in EU before the rest of the world? Isnt it true that EU thisgen gets stuff a LOT sooner than lastgen? (This is probably more thanks to MS, but still)

Of course he is trying his best to point out the benefits of a situation he can do fuck all about, its sort of his job.

Lain

Infernal Monkey said:
I dunno, I remember the ten billion year-long delayed FFX having the worst PAL conversion I'd seen since Street Fighter II on SNES.

FFX, even with the borders and the 50Hz, was the international version, which added alot of side stuff.

Dabanton said:
Damm Reeves just can't catch a break can he? The whole Mirrors Edge thing wasn't even his fault.

At no point did he say it was PS3 exclusive timed or not.The journalist made his own assumptions and ran with it.
How would you know? That's just an assumption. Heise explicitly stated he said ME would be a PS3 exclusive this year with PC and X360 to follow later. The article was a mixture of direct quotes and indirect speech, just because they didn't give a direct quote for this doesn't mean that Reeves didn't say such a thing.

Unless we see a transcript we will never know for sure what Reeves said, but considering the things he did say in the past this would be one of the less grave mistakes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Phife Dawg said:
Unless we see a transcript we will never know for sure what Reeves said, but considering the things he did say in the past this would be one of the less grave mistakes.

I'm not sure he's ever lied about a third party partnership or deal before..?

That would be a bigger deal than making some controversial/unexpected observations about your own product (e.g. PSP), or whatever.. it's a very much different thing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
i find it disturbing when GAFfers start calling for people to lose thier jobs over stuff like this. Seriously - what the hell is wrong with some of you?

As Wollan has already said, there's more than some truth to what he is saying.

I know that there is some truth, but

how would you like it if you were always the last guy served in the restaurant, got the food cold, paid more than the other customers, were treated like the stupid kid, and the pathetic (and false as the other customers were treated nicely) excuse of the restaurant owner night after night was "hey, but at least the cook can practice on other customers first!"?

EU is not treated fairly by SCE and common courtesy would be to either not speaking about the situation or do something and tell us what you are doing to improve on things, not trying to show us the silver lining in all of this.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well he's right about that, but I don't really think it's good practice to try and tell European gamers how priveleged they are for getting their stuff both later and more expensive than the other countries.

Dragon

Banned
It's so nice to have the daily Reeves update on here, it balances out the lack of Michael Phelps on SportsCenter.

tabsina

He is right, you know, when I play my games that were once delayed, Super Paper Mario for instance, i think to myself "Thank goodness this was delayed, otherwise there might have been a glitch added
in only the delayed version
causing the game to crash in world 2-2"

Didn't this Reeves spew Europe-related bullshit more than once? Like saying Europe would get the first PS3 made? :lol

In other words: shut the fuck up, Reeves.

gcubed

Doubledex said:
First the Mirrors Edge debacle and now this!
Shut the F+CK up already, Reeves

the mirrors edge debacle WAS NOT HIS FAULT.

blame shitty "journalism", but its one of the few times you cant blame him

DrXym

Getting stuff last in Europe is understandable. There are issues surrounding legal issues, localization and pricing that take more time in Europe. I'm pretty certain that some games were held up because (a lack) of localization e.g. Everyday Shooter.

Even so it doesn't make it acceptable. Video or music downloads (for example) could be rolled out by country. The UK & Ireland speak English so roll them out. If Apple managed it then surely Sony can. Okay, so each country poses its own challenges, but thats a good reason in itself to do incremental rollouts rather than a big bang.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
cartoon_soldier said:
So, I am sure Europeans won't mind waiting 6 months or so for any issues with LBP to be ironed out right?

Just like we don't mind waiting over a year for all those Rock Band issues to be ironed out.

jorma

is now taking requests
cartoon_soldier said:
So, I am sure Europeans won't mind waiting 6 months or so for any issues with LBP to be ironed out right?

LBP will be delayed 6 months in EU? This is beyond shitty if true! If not true you should probaby whine about something that is true instead.

jorma said:
LBP will be delayed 6 months in EU? This is beyond shitty if true! If not true you should probaby whine about something that is true instead.

Did you read the context in which I made the said statement?

Top Bottom