• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Song of Horror |KS| Old school survival horror + branching narrative [PC, PS4, Xbox]

WeeCoolKoodoo.gif

If this game looks familar, it's because this is the dev's second attempt on Kickstarter. The first KS failed, but since then the game has been Greenlit and they have a publisher now, so Song is coming to consoles

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1139999460/song-of-horror-by-protocol-games/description
http://www.songofhorror.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHATKqyH_u8

Song of Horror is a heavily story-driven third person survival horror combining automated camera angles and an inspiration in the old school classics with modern design, mechanics and visuals, evocative of mankind’s eternal fear of what cannot be understood. Take control of up to 16 characters who have been plunged, throughout time, into a nightmare for which they are not prepared.

ohZIRgG.jpg

A Thrilling, Movie-Like Experience
Join Daniel in a spine-chilling tale of horrors. Unravel a dreadful mystery of deep, unknown roots, a mystery threatening to destroy him.

Automated Cinematic Cameras
The views in Song of Horror are fully automated. The cameras will follow you, back away from you, turn to face you, play tricks on you, and seamlessly blend with each other when needed in order to keep the tension levels sky-high.

16 Playable Characters
Daniel Noyer is the protagonist in Song of Horror, but he’s a rather... special one. You will not only control him but also up to 15 other characters, either close to him or completely unrelated. But beware, not all of them might make it to the end. In fact, you will most likely lose some along the way. Who, and how many, will you be able to save?
Each character has his/her own defined background, personality, views and opinions, as well as his/her own unique gameplay quirks. In addition, they will each react differently to what they see and experience. Which of them are still kicking and which are gone will affect how the story is told.

Normal, Everyday People
There are no heroes nor superhumans in Song of Horror. The entire cast is composed of real-life, ordinary folks who you could come across in the street any day. Meet Daniel, the advertiser. Meet Sophie, the art gallerist. Meet Etienne, the sales director. There’s also the doctor, and the shop clerk. They will suffer, they will be scared and they will be vulnerable. None of them can make it on their own.

Careful Exploration
The devil’s in the details, or so they say. Each clue might have a meaning; every observation can be crucial. Peril is around every corner, and there is no prize for first arrival at the end line. The prize is to arrive at all.

Life Is Fleeting
There is no health nor sanity meter. Being alive or dead is the only measure of success, and going from one to the other might only require a single misstep.

Agile, Adaptive Control System
Forget about tank-style movement or otherwise clunky control schemes. As the view adjusts automatically to the situation, so do the controls. The characters move as a normal person would but, other than them not being action heroes or athletic soldiers, Song of Horror’s challenge lies entirely in the game itself.

An Unsettling Soundtrack
Our composer, Manuel, is creating a plethora of enthralling musical pieces that will take Song of Horror to a whole new level. Come take a sneak peek at his work!

DefenselessGrippingHawaiianmonkseal.gif

Song of Horror features no weapons, no traditional enemies and no typical combat. Instead, you will be haunted by twisted manifestations of an eldritch, primeval horror. This entity is known only as “The Presence”

The Presence manifests itself in various ways: active and passive ways. The Presence can actively haunt the player and, depending on what it decides to do, you will need to react in an appropriate way to avoid an untimely end. You might need to run, or to hide, yes, but these are just two examples. You might need to block a door to prevent a manifestation of the Presence from getting to you, you might need to play with your light, and many more!

The Presence can also lie in wait for the player to fall in its clutches. In this case, the player will need to look for telltale signs that will provide clues as to where danger is waiting. These signs might not be obvious, but they will be there for the careful observer

Y9EhwRx.jpg

OstH2VE.jpg

gV55lTI.png

ZlFXXeE.png

Been playing the press demo, and it's pretty cool. Already has controller support, and it's Unreal Engine so I know that'll make some people happy

The demo is set in the first chapter, the mansion setting (Each chapter will have its own unique setting). It's slow tense exploration. And there aren't really jump scares. You know something is here with you, but you don't know when it will strike or where.

Just played the press build myself. Really shocked there are not more people talking about this as it seems extremely promising and well thought out.

They got me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGqAK3SXaQ&feature=youtu.be
Well, this second campaign is already past what the first one ended with, and still has 25 days to go. But yeah, I think once the demo goes public, it will probably get more attention

The thing I like about this game is that you're weaponless but not defenseless. More horror games need to go that route. The fact that you can slow down the Presence and avoid it actually adds to the tension IMO, and the devs have alluded that there will be other ways to deal with Presence

'Song of Horror features no weapons, no traditional enemies and no typical combat.'

No no no no no.
Weaponless but not defenseless. Why would weapons hurt an eldritch demonic presence anyway? You can hold it back, slow it down, flee from it, divert it, and the devs had said there are other ways to deal with it

Agile, Adaptive Control System
Forget about tank-style movement or otherwise clunky control schemes. As the view adjusts automatically to the situation, so do the controls. The characters move as a normal person would but, other than them not being action heroes or athletic soldiers, Song of Horror’s challenge lies entirely in the game itself.

So what's their solution for control changes when camera shifts? Even a slow paced game with camera angle changes like White Night had people fumbling with the controls by using camera relative directionals instead of the traditional character relevant (tank controls) that are consistent through camera changes.

Bergerac

Weaponless but not defenseless. Why would weapons hurt an eldritch demonic presence anyway? You can hold it back, slow it down, flee from it, divert it, and the devs had said there are other ways to deal with it

It wouldn't but the enemy type isn't my point. I want weapons back in horror.

It wouldn't but the enemy type isn't my point. I want weapons back in horror.
True, but the style here is way better than the annoying run/hide/can't do shit formula seen in games like Slender. No weapons but still being able to deal with enemies in other ways is better than direct combat in horror

Combat instantly defuses a lot of the tension IMO, lessens the threat. Except for unstoppable creatures like the Nemesis, but with those kinds of enemies, your weapons are a way to make you feel weak and the enemy feel like a force of nature.

Bergerac

True, but the style here is way better than the annoying run/hide/can't do shit formula seen in games like Slender. I'd love more games that do that. No weapons but being able to deal with enemies other ways is way better than direct combat

I can't agree.

On one hand, I prefer power fantasy games over wimp fantasy games, but I feel the trick is to get it right - every game of the former starts you off weak, and in any case you always come across a later stronger enemy that can humble you in the form of a boss or mini boss, if designed right. Also any enemy that is physical, the protagonist will automatically fight back no matter how redundant (this is a side point, just saying I understand you can't really fight a 'haunting').

But as well as just plain liking the violence in horror games, removing weapons is removing a massive element of interaction with the game. It's removing a massive cog in the machine of survival games - ammo management.

Doom, RE, Silent Hill, Dead Space. These games would be far less without their weapons. Silent Hill less so but they're still integral.

Wasn't interested from the OP until I watched this.

Looks bloody great.

The 16 character thing sounded very interesting, though. Good idea. A bit of Siren in there and a bit of Heavy Rain in there.

Yeah I've backed it and they are really looking for a very modest amount on KS now that they are getting help from a small publisher. I hope they make it.

I can't agree.

On one hand, I prefer power fantasy games over wimp fantasy games, but I feel the trick is to get it right - every game of the former starts you off weak, and in any case you always come across a later stronger enemy that can humble you in the form of a boss or mini boss, if designed right. Also any enemy that is physical, the protagonist will automatically fight back no matter how redundant (this is a side point, just saying I understand you can't really fight a 'haunting').

But as well as just plain liking the violence in horror games, removing weapons is removing a massive element of interaction with the game. It's removing a massive cog in the machine of survival games - ammo management.

Doom, RE, Silent Hill, Dead Space. These games would be far less without their weapons. Silent Hill less so but they're still integral.
I wouldnt call Doom and Dead Space scary. Jump scares, I guess. They're combat-heavy action games with some horror elements

And ammo management is only a cog if combat is the focus in a horror game. It shouldn't be. Those kind of action-heavy games, where ammo and weapons are key, are a subgenre. They dont have to be, and shouldnt be the norm, for the horror genre

This form of interaction ( desperately holding back doors, manipulating lights to keep evil at bay, etc.) is so much better and tonally fitting for a horror game than standard combat with weapons.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You are such a badass with badass weapons in Dead Space it really damages the horror (over the shoulder TP also hurts). Makes for fine action though.

scitek

I was impressed with how smart the guys behind it are. They have some cool ideas and it's a genre that needs more love, so check out the demo if you haven't.

This looks really good, but those icons popping up are terrible. Really breaks the otherwise seemingly great mood. I'll never understand why there is always this need to put those in every spot you can. I'll know if I can get into a door by pressing the button and listening to sound cues and watching the animation. There isn't any need for an out of place black and white icon icon to pop up in most cases. Especially when text also comes up at the bottom.

"You will be playing as multiple characters (a la Eternal Darkness)..There are repercussions to death where characters will completely disappear from the storyline."

@ 3:37 from the video below

@_@ THATS LIKE MY DREAM GAME

GETTING STRONG ETERNAL DARKNESS VIBES FROM THIS ONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGqAK3SXaQ

The new trailer isnt as good as the one above

so is this coming out or not? I would back this if there is still a chance. I am just discovering this game today

Edit: Looks like IT IS getting made:

Oct 31 2017

Hello friends!

It's been a long time, and allow us to apologize for that. These months, we have plunged headfirst into hardcore development of the game, and have had little time for other affairs. Including our outwards communication, which has suffered as a result.

Today, however, marks the day of our return :) and, although we haven't been able to finish the game yet, the final stretch of development is upon us, and the release date draws near.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, our brand new Halloween Teaser Trailer!!!

Edit 2: Possible Switch Port!

Thanks all! Well, once the game is released we'll look into a Switch port. We'd love to!

True, but the style here is way better than the annoying run/hide/can't do shit formula seen in games like Slender. No weapons but still being able to deal with enemies in other ways is better than direct combat in horror

Combat instantly defuses a lot of the tension IMO, lessens the threat. Except for unstoppable creatures like the Nemesis, but with those kinds of enemies, your weapons are a way to make you feel weak and the enemy feel like a force of nature.

Wait.....it actually have........combat?

For some reason I really love the horror genre but hate "survival". I neither like it when horror games are strongly combat focused (they usually have a really bad combat system anyway, but if it's good, I dislike having a limited amount of healing items and you cannot even fully recover at save points) nor when they are like run and hide.

The ones I ended up loving either had real interesting combat (Parasite Eve, Fatal Frame), had an easy mode (Silent Hill 2, 3 and Downpour) or no fighting monsters at all so either you couldn't die or only at certain instant death scenes (Trilby Adventure series, The Last Door, Detention, Yomawari, The Witch's House, Corpse Party, etc.). Shattered Memories also worked for me as its "combat" was basically a parcour game like in Mirror's Edge.

So to get on topic, if this game has no weapons and stuff but still is survival, I'm afraid it's one of those run and hide games. How does it work in this game?

It calls itself survival horror, but has no health or mental meter? So what's the limiting resource?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Song of Horror is a game that has a mysterious presence chasing you and you'll have to attempt to survive as death is permanent.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Yes, we plan to work on the console versions very soon. If you sign up for our newsletter, you will receive a notification when Song of Horror arrives at consoles: https://www.raisergames.com/song-of-horror/#soon

Thank you very much for your interest!

ACESHIGH

Banned
Super hyped for this game. We need proper horror games to make a comeback (fixed camera, focus on puzzle solving and scarce ammo)

Top Bottom