• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs that make you cry

Catphish

Or at least choke you up a little, or give you goosebumps. Songs that affect you emotionally, either because they're sad, or because they're so beautiful that you get all misty and shit...

This is my contribution. I've loved this song since I first heard it, but I haven't heard it in quite some time. It came on my 1982 playlist this morning while working, and got me all crying and fucked up. Such a beautiful song:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hardly a controversial pick, but I'll say Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt'.

The song (cover) itself is a bit sad, but it's the music video that really makes it. If you're aware of his history and the kind of rise to stardom Johnny Cash had, it's pretty raw:

Hardly a controversial pick, but I'll say Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt'.

The song (cover) itself is a bit sad, but it's the music video that really makes it. If you're aware of his history and the kind of rise to stardom Johnny Cash had, it's pretty raw:

I remember reading a quote that said, “Trent Reznor was born to write that song, and Johnny Cash was born to sing it.”

The Catalina Fuckin’ Wine-Mixer

On a serious note:

This song was like the “our song” for my high school girlfriend and I:

Also, along same line

Last edited:

quickwhips

Harsh realm by Tom Gabel/Laura Jane grace. I was getting burned out by life and work. Was about to get married and start my career when I first heard it and just still hits home on the challenges of growing up.

Catphish

This will make me sound so lame, but I embrace my shame:

I ain't even gonna lie. This came on the radio the other day when I was driving, had my daughter in the back seat.

This movie, as well as this song, have always had a special place in my heart. I hadn't heard it in a couple of years, so when it came on, it took all my friggin strength not to get choked up in front of her. I don't even know why I bother. She knows I'm a big baby. :)

I thought of another one that is more due to personal circumstance / history:

I guess I'm too much of a romantic at heart, but life did a good job kicking the shit of that fanciful dream. :p

Also:

Harsh realm by Tom Gabel/Laura Jane grace. I was getting burned out by life and work. Was about to get married and start my career when I first heard it and just still hits home on the challenges of growing up.

I wasn’t aware of the old school “Against Me!”, I discovered them when Thrash Unreal took over the radio universe that summer.

After researching them I really loved their work. Reinventing Axl Rose is an epic danger, I still belt out every word to “We Laugh At Danger And Break All The Rules.”

Their somewhat recent live album is amazing. She sounds great live, always has/ They’re a great live band.

I liked White Crosses and Transgender Dysphoria Blues but the old stuff is hard to beat

quickwhips

I wasn’t aware of the old school “Against Me!”, I discovered them when Thrash Unreal took over the radio universe that summer.

After researching them I really loved their work. Reinventing Axl Rose is an epic danger, I still belt out every word to “We Laugh At Danger And Break All The Rules.”

Their somewhat recent live album is amazing. She sounds great live, always has/ They’re a great live band.

I liked White Crosses and Transgender Dysphoria Blues but the old stuff is hard to beat
Yeah I’ve seen her 3-4 times. I’m a bigger gaslight anthem fan but most of my favorites are still against me.

Oh I just remembered one that always touches me deeply:

Such a poignant and beautiful (musically and lyrically) song that, for me, captures the bittersweet nature of life.

i don't know what it is about but i have translated it, as his guilt or past events are haunting him even when he found a person that helped him out of the situation,
which is very something i am connecting currently well with as i am hunted by my past actions. as such this song just expresses how it is to be me right now.
i have no idea if thats what the song is really about... but well there goes.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Clapton wrote this after his 4 year old passed away. Not religious but the sentiment gets to me.

MC Safety

Crying might be excessive, but Warren Zevon and Tom Waits have some good, sad songs.

Suzie Lightning, Bill Lee, Jesus Mentioned, Desperadoes Under the Eaves for Zevon.

Who Are You?, Pony, and House Where Nobody Lives for Waits.

Top Bottom