• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3D directors cut patch announced (Not associated with Sega)

That's amazing.

This game isn't as bad as people like to say.
It's not in the spirit of Sonic, sure, but it features Sonic (big deal as a kid), and is at least as good as half the crap on Genesis.

Pretty great soundtrack too.

New Update:

Super Sonic Blasts into Sonic 3D - Director's Cut Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFbki9Y-r_4

Updates Include:
  • New colour pallet for Green Grove Zone. The tree's have been altered too. Sonic's pallet has also been altered.
    Im3fybH.jpg
  • Score and level time added to the top right corner.
  • Flicky icons bounce up and down when a Flicky is missing.
  • Added on-screen icons that point to missing Flickies on the map.
  • Super Sonic added. Can be enabled when all 7 Chaos emeralds are collected and 50 rings have been obtained. Just like all of the other classic Sonic games.
    cFcVRyO.png
  • Super Sonic can still collect shields. If rings are lost or given to Tails of Knuckles, sonic will lose his ability.
  • Had to remap the water colour so it wouldn't change yellow when Sonic transforms. He had to alter the colour pallet with a smaller selection of colours, but he did get it pretty close. This part is interesting.
    teylmIA.png
  • Wrote a new camera just for boss battles that keep the camera focused on the enemy.
  • Tweaked collision boxes for cannons and trap doors.

Very cool! I've never thought about the possibilities of improving an old title like Sonic 3D Blast before, but I'm enjoying all of the attention to detail in these videos. I'd actually like to go through the game again with all of these improvements.

Very cool! I've never thought about the possibilities of improving an old title like Sonic 3D Blast before, but I'm enjoying all of the attention to detail in these videos. I'd actually like to go through the game again with all of these improvements.

O'm not sure if I am a big fan of that green colour change in the first stage, but the majority of his changes all sound great. It will be interesting to replay through this one and see how different it actually feels.

I never really had many problems with the original game, myself. I can complete it while unlocking all of the chaos emeralds. But the isometric view and controls can be pain in the ass at times. One of the weirdest directors cuts, for sure.

CookTrain

This is the first time I've watched a video and when the presenter motions for the like and subscribe, I thought "Hell yes I will like subscribe you wonderful crazy man"

What a superb project.

HoodWinked

a couple months ago i was recommended on youtube the sonic 3D intro for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJgW1n1R2I

even has that free to use no copyright background music that all those starter youtube channels use. LOL. ever since i've been checking on his videos as soon as they go up.

for all the shit that youtube gets sometimes their recommendation algorithms are frighteningly good.

It's kind of scary how much better one former developer with just a few weeks work is making the game. It's true that he has more years of experience and hindsight, but you don't see many former developers take a deep dive into their Genesis-era work like this.

CookTrain

It's kind of scary how much better one former developer with just a few weeks work is making the game. It's true that he has more years of experience and hindsight, but you don't see many former developers take a deep dive into their Genesis-era work like this.

I've always wondered what professional hindsight would look like on older games.

Peltz

I've always wondered what professional hindsight would look like on older games.
Interesting thought. Imagine this level of hindsight brought to N64 and PS1 games. They definitely had some of the most outdated mechanics that could use tweaking.

CookTrain

Interesting thought. Imagine this level of hindsight brought to N64 and PS1 games. They definitely had some of the most outdated mechanics that could use tweaking.

Absolutely. Thinking of all the new ground that was being broken, how many design challenges since then have either been solved or at least standardised... it'd be a trip to see :D

Update Number 3

Options, Editors and Crabs! - Sonic 3D Director's Cut Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4ZFpC6bbQ

Updates Include:
  • New options screen. It is a WIP, but adds a Level Editor Mode. On/ off toggle for the Directors Cut features. A place holder "load game" option. Also more sound effects added to the sound test.
  • The Level Editor Features:
    • A Level select screen. Special stages cannot be selected, as they are not supported in the editor.
    • Editor runs directly in system memory.
    • Fixed terrain mapping issues.
    • Added auto repeat for moving the edit menu and editing numbers.
    • added a quit menu.
    • Fixed bug, so cursor doesn't pick up rings and other crash issues.
    • Made the game auto detect uncompressed level data. So if users figure out the level editor and makes new level data, they will not have to mess with compression formats.
    • Level's can be dumped through the system memory and inserted uncompressed in the ROM file.
  • Added beta enemy crab type enemy to the game. Used more palette re-mapping routines to get the palette for the crab to work.
    vdnnjBU.png
  • Making tweaks to enemy placement.
  • Changed tiles in Green Grove back to brown from green (seen in the last video). But also altered the colours to match the checkerboard tiles of the original game.
    0MOniLu.jpg
  • Added a point value for collecting medals.
  • Changed Super Sonic controls. Now the player has to spindash after jumping to enable Super Sonic. Player can also change back to regular sonic while spin dashing in the air.
  • Changed Super Sonic's transformation animation so it doesn't use the Sonic Death Animation anymore.
  • Added additional code that changes Sonic's shadow to full black when jumping over spiked tiles, fan tiles and hazard tiles.
  • Altered the behaviors of moving platforms. Made it harder for Sonic to fall off them.
  • Fixed a bug with moving platforms that cause Sonic to fall right through them.

Yeah, I realize most people left this place, but I will still update this thread regardless. I am still interested in this mod, Jon Burton is doing a lot of interesting things with it.

Update Number 4

Sonic 3D DX Mode Revealed - Prepare to be Surprised...

New Changes:
  • Changed the options menu items around. Added an option for "Original Game", which loads the original unaltered Sonic 3D.
  • "New Game" option takes player to the "DX" mode.
  • DX Mode has a map screen that allows the player to jump back and forth through completed levels.
    vYa5ae4.png
  • Added a "Game Complete Percentage" as well as a password save game code,
  • Added a "Time Challenges" mode to existing levels. This new mode removes all of the Flickies and counts the level timer down to 0 instead of up. The player will have to run through the stage in the limited amount of time, or they will lose a life and be placed at the last player checkpoint.
  • Completing Time Challenge mode levels (marked with a clock on the map screen) will unlock new time challenge stages.
  • Chaos Emeralds have been reduced to only one per zone. In the original game, the player could collect up to two chaos emeralds per zone, making it easy to get all of them by the forth level in the game. After collecting a chaos emerald in a stage all additional bonus levels will just give out an extra life.
  • Bonus level ordering has been changed so the player can see all seven tails and all seven Knuckles levels. Before hand, it was easy to miss all of the later bonus stages by playing up to stage four of Knuckles or tails and up to bonus stage three for the other character. Now for example, bonus stage five for both Tails and Knuckles will be locked to Zone five.
  • The Sonic Medals are added to the overall complete percentage of the game. To obtain 100% completion rate in Sonic 3D you must complete all regular levels, collect all chaos emeralds, collect all Sonic Medals and complete all time challenge stages and max out the game score at 5,000,000 points. Added a special bonus for making it to 100%.
  • Hero medals will no longer give continues as the game doesn't need continues due to the new save system.

The amazing things this guy's done just with existing assets and a lot of cool ideas astounds me. I really hope the patch releases to wide fanfare and lets people revisit the game to enjoy it on its own (improved) merits.

Kid Ying

I've used to hate this game back then because it felt like Sonic simply didnt move like Sonic should move. The graohics felt unreal back then though. With all those changes i might give it a chance.

Update 4.5

Super-quick Sonic 3D Director's Cut Update

• Added more animation to Sonic in the map screen
  • Added zone specific backgrounds to the map screen
    ygCIhDS.png

lhbIk9x.png

These are all changes made purely through the coding and by using pre-existing assets. It is pretty impressive how radically different this game is now in the gameplay department.

Top Bottom