• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Advance 2 - Gotta Go Fast!

RK128

sonic-advance-2-usa-en-ja-fr-de-es-it.png

This game is the sequel to Sonic Advance and it changes a lot from the original. Rather then being a straight up Sonic 4, this is more of a 'transition' game between Classic Sonic and the 2D Boost Formula we see latter with Sonic Rush.

I really enjoyed this game growing up and I still like it :D. Got a lot to talk about so lets dash!

- - - - - - -

The story is that Eggman captures Cream the Rabbits mother and has a new death machine in space! So Sonic and friends dash across various zones and fight Eggman's robots and creations along the way.

Simple plot but it introduces us to a new character, Cream the Rabbit & Cheese the Chao!

Like Tails, she is a young kid but she can fly using her ears and she can shoot Cheese like a missile that auto-kills anything it hits. If you want to have an easy time with the game, she is the character you pick XD! Her Cheese missile attack wipes the floor with every boss and its amazing :').

Sonic, Tails & Knuckles all control the same like how they did in Advance but with the difference being a R abilities. When you launch off ramps or rails, you can do one of three tricks; a forward dash, an extra jump or a downward slam.

hqdefault.jpg

This is IMPORTANT, as there are specific areas in the game that require you to use the extra jump to progress onwards in the game. Sky Canyon Zone is a big example of this, as early in one of the acts you reach an area where you are above bottomless pit and you have a platform above you. Since you were launched with a ramp, you could do the R trick.....but what if you never knew about that? The game doesn't tell you about this mechanic. If you don't do it, you die.

hqdefault.jpg

One example of cheap level design at points but that is a real issue of the game not telling people about the games core mechanics.

Anyway, Amy also returns as a playable character if you want to kill yourself unlocking everything.......more on that latter :l. She is a Sonic clone, with her Advance playstyle completely gone.

So character wise, nothing is that different, so lets move on to gameplay.

- - - - - - - -
tumblr_mngv5dHQh21st1pw0o1_500.gif

tumblr_m86xba2KKp1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

The gameplay is like Advance but with a focus on GOTTA GO FAST!
tumblr_mrjvnevaTc1sd4mmco1_500.gif

Sonicrunadvance-sonicxpress.gif~c200

You run fast and you keep going fast thanks to springs, boost pads and a new mechanic called the Sonic Boost. The longer you run, you build up momentum that triggers this Sonic Boost. You get an after-trail following you and you can keep this if you keep running (even if you go a simple jog). It is a natural way to have Sonic boost and fits within Classic Sonic mechanics; you have to EARN this instead of pressing a button to go fast.

latest

But this leads to the level design being different then Advance. In that game, level design is more Classic like but with more platforming at places. Advance 2 has a lot of levels set up in lines but with upper, middle and lower paths. The upper paths lead to faster runs, leading to really rewarding gameplay if you can nail your run through stages.

But it isn't like traditional 2D Sonic which focuses on platforming & speed, this game focuses on speed with platforming at points. I don't mind this change and Dimps did a good job introducing this into the Classic formula with this game.

It has flaws (like I mentioned with Sky Canyon) but overall its very enjoyable. Just 'different' and that is a problem for those preferring Classic Sonic styled 2D action. Overall, I liked the gameplay a lot despite issues I had with it at points.

- - - - - - - -

Presentation is strong like Advance and it looks better at points. Characters are more expressive, the animations for the sprites are really detailed and the levels have more detail in Advance.

gba04.jpg

The music here is very strong and one of my favorite handheld Sonic soundtracks next to Sonic 2 GG, Sonic Triple Trouble, and Sonic Advance 3 (but will get to the latter soon enough ;)).

Leaf Forest Act 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shvZSpl-V1Q&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E&index=3
Leaf Forest Act 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxp7LxMCSFA&index=4&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E
Hot Carrier Act 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS5HE8FAAsQ&index=5&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E
Music Plant Act 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbMvsQqgAc&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E&index=6
Ice Paradise Act 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRbsdKmz1A&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E&index=8
Sky Canyon Act 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTl6KTRVnB8&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E&index=10
Sky Canyon Act 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FHGYQXfp8U&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E&index=11
Techno Base Act 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGtXjtaaG4c&index=13&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E
Boss Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf21yfoi7lg&index=15&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E
Knuckles Boss Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmKsNq_zt5o&index=16&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E
Boss 7 Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECG2WG23IK8&index=17&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E
Super Sonic Boss Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrGI2JIo-5Q&index=19&list=PLB6EB28A4DAB6AC5E

They all sound great and make even more use of the GBA sound chip then Sonic Advance!

- - - - - - -

My biggest issue with the game is something I'm sure everyone knows about, the BS unlocking systems in place. In order to access special stages you have to collect golden rings (seven) in each act. Once you do you 'Speed Up!' and dash into the special stages. Simple Mode-7 like thing and when you beat it you get an Emerald......for one character.

You have to get the seven emeralds four.....FOUR times to unlock all the features that were unlocked from the start in Advance (sound test, Tiny Chao Garden, Amy Rose, ect). Its BS that this is the case and its a really poor effort on DImps part to pad out the gameplay length. To be fair though, you only need to clear all the special stages as Sonic & Beat the story with every character to get the final boss. Still, BS unlocking system is not fun :(.

latest

I'm not covering the extra features this time out as I never accessed a special stage, as I'm not putting up with that BS to collect everything. If you want to have fun with Advance 2, ignore those rings and forget about the Emeralds/Final Boss. You don't even get Super Sonic, so it makes all the work kinda pointless.

hqdefault.jpg

- - - - - -

Outside of my little rant about the unlocking of content, its a fun time :). I has issues but Advance 2 is always replayable thanks to its gotta go fast-like mentalitiy. Its 'different' than Advance, so I can understand completely if others perfer that over this game.

But I found fun in this title and I hope you give it a shot :D! Both the original and this Advance game are on the JP Wii U E-Shop so if you live in Japan, give them a shot :). They should be coming to NA and EU soon enough.

Hope you enjoy this thread and lets run fast!

sonic_advance_2_wallpaper_a_by_kbabz-d51qs4e.jpg

Ah.....good memories with this game. And yes the unlocking system WAS bull....

Appreciate these threads you've been making man. =)

Really want to see your opinion on advance 3!

spunodi

This is actually one of my favourite Sonic games (and I've been playing the series since 1991).

I think the music is a large part of that but I really enjoyed the evolution of the 2D mechanics and the auto-run boss stages. It was different and whilst that's not pleasing to everyone I thought it mixed up the formula very well.

Special Stage access is indeed horrible in this game but the special stages themselves and
True Area 53
were rewarding experiences.

It's a bright and enjoyable game that gets a lot right.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My favorite of the Advance series, bar none. Pulling off those tricks at the end of your run always feels good.

And yeah, the soundtrack is amazing. Someone on a Sonic-themed blog ripped it and offered it up as MP3s years back and is hasn't left my iPod or iPhone since.

RK128

My favorite of the Advance series, bar none. Pulling off those tricks at the end of your run always feels good.

And yeah, the soundtrack is amazing. Someone on a Sonic-themed blog ripped it and offered it up as MP3s years back and is hasn't left my iPod or iPhone since.

I still remember Leaf Forest all these years latter :'). This is a great soundtrack and Advance 3 gets better in this regard! Sunset Hill man.......

MrBadger

Now this is a Sonic game that was great when it released but aged poorly. The idea of a Sonic game that was actually super fast was great, but Sonic Rush really ironed out the formula and this game just kinda feels like a spectacle with cheap deaths that's nowhere near as fun as the first Advance. A+ presentation, though.

But don't get me started on the absolute bullshit that is unlocking the "true final boss". All the Advances have terrible bonus stages but the requirements for getting into the ones in 2, and subsequently unlocking the last level, are absurd.

Decarabia

Out of the 3 Advance games, this one was my least favourite, though it's been so long I can't even remeber why, haha.

I still liked and played it a lot, but could never finish it 100%.

Sonic Advance 2 was one of my favorite GBA games. I love the whole fast aesthetic the game had where every race was presented as a sprint track and the tricks let you keep up an almost constant high speed throughout. I used to play levels all the time, minimizing my time.

Best advance game Imo, but the third one did some interesting things. I'm glad the rush games stuck with the trick system.

MrBadger

hqdefault.jpg

The chao is called Cheese because of how easy it is to cheese the final boss with it

You literally don't have to move at all. It honestly feels like cheating.

RK128

hqdefault.jpg

The chao is called Cheese because of how easy it is to cheese the final boss with it

You literally don't have to move at all. It honestly feels like cheating.

The bosses are a bit hard hard, so I saw it less as cheating but more so them giving us a bone :).

? You do get super sonic

Gd-sadv2-5.jpg

It's a pretty badass fight. I still feel proud for wasting all my time collecting all the emeralds with every character to get everything. Never doing it again though

MrBadger

The bosses are a bit hard hard, so I saw it less as cheating but more so them giving us a bone :).

Fair way to look at it, nailing the timing on some of these bosses is a massive pain! Especially the one that Knuckles pilots for whatever reason

Scz_boss.png

Advance 3 can be rather sneaky with this though, since some of the bosses are Cheese-proof, especially the hardest one

Twinkle_Snow_Boss.png

? You do get super sonic

Gd-sadv2-5.jpg

It's a pretty badass fight. I still feel proud for wasting all my time collecting all the emeralds with every character to get everything. Never doing it again though

Not for use in the levels, sadly. Also I'm impressed you were able to go through with that

RK128

? You do get super sonic

Gd-sadv2-5.jpg

I meant in-stage ala Sonic 2/3&K. That made all that hard work sorta pointless honestly :(.

MrBadger

That's one thing we can thank Sonic 4 for bringing back. Congrats on getting that one thing right, Sonic 4.

I think bonus final bosses are being fazed out a bit now, the last one we got was in Colours DS. Super Sonic in levels seems to be the reward for emerald hunting again, now. I'll miss them, but I certainly won't miss the hoops you had to jump through to get them in Advance.

Ferr986

Worst Sonic DIMPS game IMO. It also introduced Cream, making the game even worse than it even was.
Boring, cheap... Advance 3 wasn't that much better too :( Shame cause Advance 1 was overall very good.

RK128

My very first Sonic game.

Unlocking Amy and the Chaos Emeralds sucked.

I never unlocked the extra stuff and when I have no time for BS.....then you are doing something wrong game X(.

Shame too, as they made Amy like Sonic, so it would of been fun to play as her at one point :l.

RK128

That's one thing we can thank Sonic 4 for bringing back. Congrats on getting that one thing right, Sonic 4.

I think bonus final bosses are being fazed out a bit now, the last one we got was in Colours DS. Super Sonic in levels seems to be the reward for emerald hunting again, now. I'll miss them, but I certainly won't miss the hoops you had to jump through to get them in Advance.

I enjoyed how they are handling that now with recent games :). Sonic Lost World 3DS's Super Sonic rocks and makes the more BS parts of the game manageable (plus I'm one of the odd balls that likes the specials stages in Lost World 3DS XD).

I enjoyed how they are handling that now with recent games :). Sonic Lost World 3DS's Super Sonic rocks and makes the more BS parts of the game manageable (plus I'm one of the odd balls that likes the specials stages in Lost World 3DS XD).

The special stages in Lost World 3DS wouldn't be so bad if they gave us the option to control Sonic with both the gyro and control pad like how Splatoon does it.

Or at least increased the sensitivity a bit so turning wouldn't be so stiff.

It's still better than Sonic Heroes' specials, but not by much.

But hey, at least we get Super Sonic.

ryseing

Although I'm not a Sonic fan (sorry!) I've enjoyed the retrospectives. Are you replaying all of these games? If so, how do you have the time?

Astral Dog

The worst of the Advance trilogy, and how the hell do you get the rings for the Special Stages!? with Sonic, i swear you have to memorize the older stages to get a chance to play the bullshit SEs. Its the most difficult by har and the only handheld Sonic i never finished.

Still a decent game.

MAtgS

Ah yes, the birth of the mile high roller coaster zones. Most of them were only thematically different from one, reusing the same "stage hazards" (really more like gimmicks to keep going fast) & a shit ton more wide open pits.

But hey there was the music themed stage, that one was cool at least.

RK128

Although I'm not a Sonic fan (sorry!) I've enjoyed the retrospectives. Are you replaying all of these games? If so, how do you have the time?

I played every game in this retrospective outside of Sonic Shuffle and Burning Rangers.

What I do is I play through the first half of each game then comment on my experience + what I felt about the game in the past. I beat a good deal of the games, like Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advance, but a good deal of the games I cover were not beaten, but a most of the game played.

I balance my time well :D.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I love this game and is too date the only Sonic of the advance series where I got all the Chaos Emerald since the special stages are really easy, it just getting to it that's hard due the requirement being strict.

But eh I would rather do Advance 2 special stage than do the bullshit requirement that Advance 3 had.

It also brought in the Homing Attack into the 2D plain but it wasn't required but it was useful attacking enemies without losing speed.

The game also had great music and I love how the final Eggman boss fight is a boss rush, with them being at half health with it leading up to the big finale giant robot with pillars, missiles firing and lazor beam being fired.

The Super Sonic boss fight is fun, but I didn't like how you would start with only 2 lives.

Also Cream the Rabbit is cute and I like her.

Astral Dog

I love this game and is too date the only Sonic of the advance series where I got all the Chaos Emerald since the special stages are really easy, it just getting to it that's hard due the requirement being strict.

But eh I would rather do Advance 2 special stage than do the bullshit requirement that Advance 3 had.

It also brought in the Homing Attack into the 2D plain but it wasn't required but it was useful attacking enemies without losing speed.

The game also had great music and I love how the final Eggman boss fight is a boss rush, with them being at half health with it leading up to the big finale giant robot with pillars, missiles firing and lazor beam being fired.

The Super Sonic boss fight is fun, but I didn't like how you would start with only 2 lives.

Also Cream the Rabbit is cute and I like her.
Using a guide (and Tails) you can get the key to the SE in Advance 3 at a reasonable time, tricky and a bit tedious, but considerably easier than Advance 2 imo.

Man, I miss the Sonic Advance games. Some of the best platformers on GBA. I really enjoyed 2 a lot, although I'd say 3 made a lot of improvements, at least from what I remember.

ryseing

I played every game in this retrospective outside of Sonic Shuffle and Burning Rangers.

What I do is I play through the first half of each game then comment on my experience + what I felt about the game in the past. I beat a good deal of the games, like Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advance, but a good deal of the games I cover were not beaten, but a most of the game played.

I balance my time well :D.

Gotcha. Thanks for the write-ups.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Using a guide (and Tails) you can get the key to the SE in Advance 3 at a reasonable time, tricky and a bit tedious, but considerably easier than Advance 2 imo.

But it was annoying as to get to the special stage you need to collect all the Chao in each zone, then go back into the level to get a key and then go to the special stage.

It was annoying to do in as the special stage got harder and harder with special stage 7 really pissing me off as you could only carry 9 keys and the level where it was easy to get the key was an auto scrolling level on a slooooow moving platform.

In Sonic Advance 2 it only took me about 3 tries to do special stage 7 as Sonic and 1 first time with everyone else.

Easily my least favorite of the Advance games. Just didn't have as much fun with this one.

I never unlocked the extra stuff and when I have no time for BS.....then you are doing something wrong game X(.

Shame too, as they made Amy like Sonic, so it would of been fun to play as her at one point :l.

It cannot be understated how crappy unlocking the extras was. This is one of the only Sonic games where I didn't bother going for that stuff. Just too much of a pain.

Davey Cakes

I hated Sky Canyon so damn much. Kept messing up and falling into bottomless pits.

Otherwise, Sonic Advance 2 was fun but put a little bit too much emphasis on running right to complete a level as opposed to exploring the level design. I guess this is the case with Sonic Rush as well, but I think Rush did better with the formula since it had the boost mechanic and all and felt better to play.

To be honest I might put SA3 above SA2 it but it's a tough pick.

RK128

This was one of my favorite platformers on the GBA. I put a lot of time into it.

It was one of the first 2D Sonic's I've ever played (next to the Classic series via Mega Collection), so I have a strong attachment to this game too :).

Psxphile

Pretty sure you only need to collect emeralds with Sonic and Cream to unlock True Area 53 and the game's real ending. The rest are needed to unlock Amy, though. Amy's emeralds... do nothing, ha ha.

Sonic Advance 2's motif seemed to be about mimicking a marathon race, much like SMB3's is a stage play:

This and the rolling bosses seem to support this.

Also I've always been enamored with the zone title graphics in Advance 2. I love it when games get fancy with text and graphics when starting a stage.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cream might be my favorite shitty friend. Her weapon being a Chao named cheese that happens to cheese the enemies in the game just makes it, plus she has by far the best animations in this game.

RK128

Pretty sure you only need to collect emeralds with Sonic and Cream to unlock True Area 53 and the game's real ending. The rest are needed to unlock Amy, though. Amy's emeralds... do nothing, ha ha.

Sonic Advance 2's motif seemed to be about mimicking a marathon race, much like SMB3's is a stage play:

This and the rolling bosses seem to support this.

Also I've always been enamored with the zone title graphics in Advance 2. I love it when games get fancy with text and graphics when starting a stage.

I agree with that statement; as it would explain the forward-focused level design the game has.

Also love the visuals and presentation of Advance 2; it just 'pops' of the GBA/DS screen :D.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Personally my ranking for the Advance series would be.

Advance 2-> Advance 1 then Advance 3.

Nope just with Sonic.

Maedhros

Worst Advance I've played, for sure. Level design was bullshit, with lots of go to the right and get a cheap damage.

1> 3 > 2

Top Bottom