• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Advance - Advanced Processing

It's my favorite 2D Sonic. Love the music, especially in the ice stages. The game was insanely replayable too

People often say that going third party killed off SEGA's creativity but this and several other fantastic games SEGA released after the Dreamcast's death are proof that it isn't true. They still had "it" for a good while after.

gelf

As a person who has played Sonic Advance 2 to death that isn't true, especially on the boss fight as you would just get killed.

While Advance 2 does embrace the speed element of Sonic, you have the option to reaching higher ground with the trick mechanic.

You are holding right a lot of the time though, it just didn't feel engaging to me compared to more traditional platformer Sonic. And I can't say I enjoyed the running boss fights. Advance 2 felt like a game made from people whose only knowledge of Sonic came from the gotta go fast memes. Not what I want to play at all.

It's my favorite 2D Sonic. Love the music, especially in the ice stages. The game was insanely replayable too

People often say that going third party killed off SEGA's creativity but this and several other fantastic games SEGA released after the Dreamcast's death are proof that it isn't true. They still had "it" for a good while after.
I'd say good Sega games not selling while anything with Sonic on the box still being successful regardless of quality killed their creativity unfortunately.

RK128

I would argue that SEGA their creative spark well after the Dreamcasts death until maybe early the PS3/360 generation.

Its just that they focused so much on Sonic to make money, that other creative IP/New IP were pushed in the back-burner. They had some strong out put last generation (with VC's, Binary Domain, the Platinum Games deal, some strong Sonic's like Colors and Generations, All Stars Racing Series, some XBLA/PSN re-releases of older titles, ect).

jax

Banned
An underrated and often forgotten classic. Definitely in the top 5 best Sonic games of all time. SEGA really needs to look hard at this games cross-platform functionality with the 25th anniversary title. Imagine a proper current gen Chao garden with connectivity to a Chao garden mobile/3DS/NX game.. Would be incredible.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Sonic Advance on the 3DS VC this year.

Great write up as always!

cyborg009

Banned
I say this all the time. Sonic Advance is probably my favorite sonic game. It was like the best of Sonic 3&K with the best of Sonic 2. And playing through the game as Amy Rose was nearly like playing an entirely different game.

This was the last good 2D sonic game, I really do put it on par with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, if only because the condensed experience had less downsides than the full experience of S3&K.

Sonic Advance 2, however, was bad. Sonic Advance 3 was better, and the heart and effort was clearly there, but none of them were as well designed as Advance 1.

This game series is the easiest way to see how a focus on pure movement speed impacted the level design. It wouldn't be good until Sonic Rush.

TBH fans cried because of lack of speed and thats when they made it all about the boost. But sonic was much more a platformer.

Advance 1 >>>> Advance 3 >>>>>>>> Advance 2

Advance is what all 2d sprite based sonic games should have tried to do going forward and felt like a natural evolution of the series after S3&K

RK128

An underrated and often forgotten classic. Definitely in the top 5 best Sonic games of all time. SEGA really needs to look hard at this games cross-platform functionality with the 25th anniversary title. Imagine a proper current gen Chao garden with connectivity to a Chao garden mobile/3DS/NX game.. Would be incredible.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Sonic Advance on the 3DS VC this year.

Great write up as always!

Thank you :D! Loved my time with the Advance series and I look forward to covering Advance 2 & 3 once I make the Ristar and Billy Hatcher threads :).

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I skipped Rush Adventure. After Rush I was like "really? Double down on the adventure part?" But it sounds like I should go back and hit it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I skipped Rush Adventure. After Rush I was like "really? Double down on the adventure part?" But it sounds like I should go back and hit it.

The level design is better but it's interspersed with terrible Wind Waker sailing and stylus-controlled jetski racing and all sorts of stupid bullshit.

Colours DS is back to straight platforming and has the best level design of the 3 DS games.

The Advance games are criminally overlooked. I played 2 so much as a kid and it holds up decently well, especially in light of the series' amazing ability to not hold up.

Balb

It's not a bad game but I feel the levels get pretty frustrating later on. It's been many years since I've played it but I remember the game being filled with pits and/or spike beds in certain stages.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The level design is better but it's interspersed with terrible Wind Waker sailing and stylus-controlled jetski racing and all sorts of stupid bullshit.

Colours DS is back to straight platforming and has the best level design of the 3 DS games.

I LOL'd. Colors it is then m8 ;)

MagnesD3

God I love the sonic advanced games, they are my fav sonic games for sure. Sonic Advance 2 being my fav, love the speed, platforming, music, variety, bosses and new techniques.

Exodust

Banned
The Sonic Advance games were very underrated.They're not the same style as the classics but they're very good side scrollers in their own right.

Marow

My favorite 2D Sonic game. Great sense of pacing, four varied characters that all change the way you tackle the levels and avoids most of the pitfalls from the Genesis trilogy (no annoying enemies, not overly reliant on pitfalls and other stuff). It also had Chao Garden which made it quite nice. Played this game a ton.

My memory of the sequels, particularly 3, is vague. I remember 2 being the prelude to Rush and 3 being some half-awkward, half-success combination of 1 and 2.

MAtgS

The Real Sonic 4.

Truth. It even had Sonic's insta-shield.

It only recently occurred to me how weird it is that Amy can't roll/spin dash in this game considering that she's, ya know, a hedgehog. If anything she has more reason to that kind of ability than a fox.

JackelZXA

SAdvance 1 was really good, SAdvance 2 was way better and along the lines of what Sonic Rush became. SAdvance 3 was terrible though. Platforming in the sense of "Blocks floating above pits" in a momentum based movement engine are TERRIBLE. That shit NEVER works unless you have a much more fixed movement system like Mario or Castlevania or Mega Man. Sonic is slow to get going and slow to stop and his jumps don't really make sense for aiming at tiny platforms. The fun of a Sonic game is the physics, not carefully jumping and stopping and walking slowly along a flat terrain. If it ain't got no slope it ain't no fun. I might as well just play as Tails at that point. (Amy is actually interesting in SAdvance 1 because she's set up more for platforming. Even Knuckles is better for it because of his climbing and his Momentum-Canceling Glide.)

Truth. It even had Sonic's insta-shield.

It only recently occurred to me how weird it is that Amy can't roll/spin dash in this game considering that she's, ya know, a hedgehog. If anything she has more reason to that kind of ability than a fox.

The instashield had none of the functionality that it had in 3&k, and just felt like something for sonic to do after he jumped. (Also, I think the instashield made 3&k really easy, what with the iframes and increased hurtbox)

Top Bottom