• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

Well, Colors underwhelmed me honestly, and I really liked Unleashed Wii (really disliked the Unleashed 360 demo, couldn't tolerate the uber fast acceleration and "dear god at that rocket speed" boost...).

Colors was so scarce in its variety, every fucking mission was getting from point A to point B, no "collect rings" or "finish in this amount of time". Unleashed did it right.

And I hate how they made quick step and drift only able to be used in specific places.

And I am sick and tired of only playing as Sonic, fuck the haters, I like Tails, Knux, Shadow, etc.

They should've made Shadow an unlockable ala Metal Sonic in DX; no point story-wise and a reskin with Shadow's voice. Could've been an S Rank unlockable, but there isn't even a bonus for doing so this time, what the hell?

They also could've ported over the Superstars Chao Garden and replaced the camera with the pointer as a bonus, easy.

Let's not forget the OVER used 2D sections, Unleashed Wii spent a lot of time in 3D with 2D sprinkled in, Colors was the opposite.

I loved in Unleashed Wii how they gave him his spin when boosting on dash panels, they brought that back in Gens, so it's not forgotten.

I want SA3 so badly, so much has been lost from the series, I want a full 3D free roaming game again. :(

Christopher

Beat the game again....I'm still convinced Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are two of the strongest games releases in both terms of gameplay, music, and fun...what a great game.

ezodagrom

PC version is out, the port of SA2 is almost as good as the Jet Set Radio port, unlike SADX 2011, it supports alot of resolutions, and it looks good even in non 16:9 resolutions (like 1440x900). The game runs at 60fps.

The game doesn't have an option for anti-aliasing though, but for recent AMD/ATI graphics cards it's possible to force AA through the graphics drivers. No idea if forcing AA through the graphics drivers works for Nvidia cards, I can't test this since I only have an AMD card.

In a Radeon HD6850, both 4xSSAA and 4xMSAA worked fine at 1440x900.

Christopher

PC version is out, the port of SA2 is almost as good as the Jet Set Radio port, unlike SADX 2011, it supports alot of resolutions, and it looks good even in non 16:9 resolutions (like 1440x900). The game runs at 60fps.

The game doesn't have an option for anti-aliasing though, but for recent AMD/ATI graphics cards it's possible to force AA through the graphics drivers. No idea if forcing AA through the graphics drivers works for Nvidia cards, I can't test this since I only have an AMD card.

In a Radeon HD6850, both 4xSSAA and 4xMSAA worked fine at 1440x900.

I hope someone extracts the Sonic Adventure 2 models and places them in Sonic Adventure DX

I can't get metal harbour a rank, I just cant, I'm going fucking insane. 19820 points, everytime, I can't get the fucking top handle.

There's no shame watching some Youtube videos. Turns out that at the aircraft carrier shortly after the big homing attack chain, there's a string of enemies on the left that you can get for a couple thousand extra points. Makes the push past 20k a little easier.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The A-Rank is actually mostly dependend on the way you take up to the carrier. If you use the standard way you will get a B, if you jump to the right using the more diffcult way, you will get an A.

The A-Rank is actually mostly dependend on the way you take up to the carrier. If you use the standard way you will get a B, if you jump to the right using the more diffcult way, you will get an A.

It's possible to get an A and still take the lower route. Or, at least, it was on the Dreamcast version? I know I've seen it.

For anyone who has the PC version, can you play it in windowed mode and tab out to other stuff at the same time, or is it like pretty much all games nowadays were it'll crash if you try to tab out? I'm contemplating getting the PC version too for the Chao Garden, but only if I can multi-task and leave the game running in the background.

ezodagrom

For anyone who has the PC version, can you play it in windowed mode and tab out to other stuff at the same time, or is it like pretty much all games nowadays were it'll crash if you try to tab out? I'm contemplating getting the PC version too for the Chao Garden, but only if I can multi-task and leave the game running in the background.
There is an option for window mode, yeah, and it's possible to tab out, but the game pauses when it's not in focus.

Wow, the PC version is souring my memories of the Knuckles stages. I mean, I knew they were bad, but yikes, these are just boring.

I still love the Sonic stages and the Tails stages are fine, nothing special but sometimes it's entertaining to see a huge explosion and rank up a huge amount of points. I'm at Crazy Gadget right now, then finish off hero story and move to Dark.

Not having online Chao races/karate/trading seems like a huge oversight.

There's no shame watching some Youtube videos. Turns out that at the aircraft carrier shortly after the big homing attack chain, there's a string of enemies on the left that you can get for a couple thousand extra points. Makes the push past 20k a little easier.

I've seen the videos, I still can't do it.

Revven

You can get this for about $7.16 on GreenManGaming with the following 20% off promo code: GMG20-1FYLZ-EDG8R

Not sure if I should dip yet myself since the modding scene for this is just sort of starting but not quite where it needs to be.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You can get this for about $7.16 on GreenManGaming with the following 20% off promo code: GMG20-1FYLZ-EDG8R

Not sure if I should dip yet myself since the modding scene for this is just sort of starting but not quite where it needs to be.

If it's anything like Adventure DX and Generations before it, which it will be as it's fan-favorite Sonic Adventure 2, then the modding scene should be quite luxurious, especially over time.

Anth0ny

There is no way I will ever ever ever get 180 emblems in this game

yeah

I wanted to... but I forgot about the fact that you have to A rank everything.

xhqgtdvrk3.gif

Bankoiia

I loaded up my SA 2 Battle save on my Gamecube today and saw I actually had managed to gather 172 emblems before ultimately giving up as a kid. Not doing that shit again on the PSN re-release.
KuGsj.gif

Seems like a decent port then right?

I have actually never played a Sonic adventure game before, would this one be a good starting point or is it required to have played the first to get references etc etc.?

I have actually never played a Sonic adventure game before, would this one be a good starting point or is it required to have played the first to get references etc etc.?

You don't need to play SA 1 in order to play SA2, so you can buy SA2 safely, I really prefer SA2 because it has better graphics, widescreen support, and a good story (the Sonic and Shadow levels are the best) also you can play as hero (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles) and Darkside (Shadow, Rouge and Dr. Eggman) so my advice, buy SA2! :D

Sonic Adventure 1 is a better game, but Sonic Adventure 2 got a better digital re-release. You don't need to have played SA1 for SA2.

qq more

Not it's not. I wish SA1 played anywhere as good or was as polished as SA2; and that is not counting the terrible SADX PC port.

On one hand, SA1 is definitely less polished but on another the game design compared to SA2 is debatable. Some people don't like how SA2 handled the alt gameplay (aka, being forced to change characters after beating a stage). In fact, I'm even going to say the Emerald Hunting in SA1 is actually wayyyy better than SA2's simply because the levels aren't too huge and the emerald radar can detect any emeralds.

Christopher

Sonic adventure one needs a face lift with the models / animation. They should place the SA2 models in SA 1 and it would be so much better

Not it's not. I wish SA1 played anywhere as good or was as polished as SA2; and that is not counting the terrible SADX PC port.

Better Tails stages
Knuckles' radar not busted
Amy is better than the mech and hunt stuff from SA2
Shooting stages are better

SA2 was better in a few areas, but Sonic Adventure is a much better whole.

Only found Tails' mech levels to be a drag, Eggman's were kinda fun either because of the setting or just what the level has you doing (Aka blow up everything)

qq more

Only found Tails' mech levels to be a drag, Eggman's were kinda fun either because of the setting or just what the level has you doing (Aka blow up everything)

Man that desert level with Tails was pretty buggy. Sometimes the game won't let me hover which caused me falling into the sand pit a bunch of times. Ugh.

goldenpp72

I picked this up a few days ago, got 180 emblems and level 99 all stats chao in about 3 days of medium to long amounts of play. Really amazing game, my only beefs with the game would be..

Camera: The camera can really blow, it can be 90 percent manageable in sonic/shadow stages since the best A rank paths usually mean the camera is fine, but when in the other stages it can be a pain at times.

Lock on for Tails/Robotnik: I find the stages quite good, and I love playing them, but for some reason the lock on at times just doesn't want to lock on when it should. If that were perfect and the camera was spot on, you could make a solid game out of this. Maybe i'm missing something, but having beaten this entire game 3 times now, I hope not.

Treasure hunting: Unlike most, I find these to be fun enough. My main beef with them is again the camera, which is probably worst in this side of the game considering the need for being able to look around, but also the fact that you can't find emeralds in any order like in SA1. If they had kept that in, I think it would make 90 percent of the bitching go away. Time attacking these stages is also a bit of an annoyance because a lot of luck is involved in where you will look first vs where they will actually be, but it's only really annoying to A rank Mad space due to how many places they can possibly be.

All in all, it's a damn shame this formula didn't get a third push to really nail everything, I enjoy playing as all 3 sets of characters, and most of the boss fights are great, tons of stuff to do, and I enjoyed going for all 180 emblems again. I did it on dreamcast and gamecube, so by now it's kind of second nature :p

Christopher

I picked this up a few days ago, got 180 emblems and level 99 all stats chao in about 3 days of medium to long amounts of play. Really amazing game, my only beefs with the game would be..

Camera: The camera can really blow, it can be 90 percent manageable in sonic/shadow stages since the best A rank paths usually mean the camera is fine, but when in the other stages it can be a pain at times.

Lock on for Tails/Robotnik: I find the stages quite good, and I love playing them, but for some reason the lock on at times just doesn't want to lock on when it should. If that were perfect and the camera was spot on, you could make a solid game out of this. Maybe i'm missing something, but having beaten this entire game 3 times now, I hope not.

Treasure hunting: Unlike most, I find these to be fun enough. My main beef with them is again the camera, which is probably worst in this side of the game considering the need for being able to look around, but also the fact that you can't find emeralds in any order like in SA1. If they had kept that in, I think it would make 90 percent of the bitching go away. Time attacking these stages is also a bit of an annoyance because a lot of luck is involved in where you will look first vs where they will actually be, but it's only really annoying to A rank Mad space due to how many places they can possibly be.

All in all, it's a damn shame this formula didn't get a third push to really nail everything, I enjoy playing as all 3 sets of characters, and most of the boss fights are great, tons of stuff to do, and I enjoyed going for all 180 emblems again. I did it on dreamcast and gamecube, so by now it's kind of second nature :p

How on earth did you get 180 eblems!?

Also Tails music in his stages are awesome: Mission Street & Eternal Engine.

goldenpp72

How on earth did you get 180 eblems!?

Also Tails music in his stages are awesome: Mission Street & Eternal Engine.

Getting 180 emblems isn't that difficult really, it's knowing the tricks that really makes or breaks them. Like in city escape, you get the chance to get 3k points just by nailing the first 3 ramps perfectly, as well as many chances for 'tight' ratings throughout the level, and then the nice 1500 bonus for nailing all the rails at the end while hitting the swing bar, it's just a matter of knowing spots and being able to make a run come together. You could probably make up half of the needed score just by getting the tricks done in most Sonic/Shadow levels, and in the case of their later levels, it's really more about not dying once than doing anything special.

Only Sonic and Shadow have actual challenge to their A ranks imo, with a few exceptions, the other 4/6 of the game are pretty painless. I found Sonic unleashed and sonic 2006 to be harder to 100 percent, with sonic 2006 being comparably hard to SA2 while also being a horrible game at the same time. I will admit that I'm generally very good at sonic games regardless of the design (genesis, adventure, unleashed, etc), but SA2 is only the hardest good sonic game, I'd say unleashed was hardest for me as far as decent to good sonic games go, and 2006 was the most traumatizing 1000g game ever.

Oh yeah, I guess I could've linked these here. I never had a Gameshark growing up for any platform that had Sonic Adventure 2, so Cheat Engine on the PC version has been a fun time.

Sonic in Mission Street
Sonic in Sky Rail

Apparently I could've done something to make Sonic's sounds be correct in Mission Street but I almost think it's funnier the way it is.

Sonic doesn't have soap shoes because somebody on Sonic Retro made a mod that imports Sonic's model from the old Dreamcast demo before Sega made the soap shoes deal.

Roto13

Is there a 100% save file available for PC somewhere? I've always wanted to play Green Hill Zone.

I'm going to bump this old-ass thread for the same reason except I'm looking for a PS3 save file. I've found a 100% XBLA save file but apparently that's the only one out there for the HD version. Blargh.

Wichu

Seeing as my Wii refuses to rip SA2:B successfully for Dolphin, this is on my radar (or will be once the PC version comes out). Too bad you can't import Chao from the GC version...

I know it doesn't have GBA/VMU functionality, but is there any way to get the GBA-exclusive Chao colours in this (and the awesome (glitched?) transparent ones you get by breeding them)?

Bumping with a response to myself from a year ago!

I picked up the PC version a couple of days ago when it was on sale. The first thing I noticed is that it won't start in full screen mode on my PC :(
Anyway, then I opened a hex editor and started coding. The result:
An almost flawless import of every Chao from my GC save. Aww yeah.
The tricky part was that the GC's processor lays out values in memory differently than the x86 used in my PC (endianness), so I had to figure out how the data should be rearranged. I'm sure I've made a couple of omissions, as the Chao data is pretty big, but I've fixed everything I could find.

And yes, Chaoko there does have a baby blue body/head/arms, yellow legs, a dark blue tail, and blue/green wings. No, he doesn't have any animal parts. Yes, he looked like that on the Gamecube.

And I also found the answer to my second question. 'Jewel' Chao from the GBA are still in the code (but unobtainable), as can be seen with Omega above. However, transparent Chao are gone. Instead we have this eye-bleeding abomination:
Zero (the baby white Chao in the background of the third picture, next to the red and orange one) should be invisible, too.
Two-toned shiny Chao are also bugged in the HD version, appearing as a non-shiny bright white (breed the starting Chao with a shiny one from the shop for a chance at one), which is annoying - Garm (in the background of the above picture) was shiny pink and purple :(

If anyone's interested, I can clean up the script I used to copy the Chao over from my GC save and post it here. It should be useful if you played this on Dolphin or have some way to extract saves from a Gamecube memory card!

Top Bottom