• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 3 may never happen

Sonic the Hedgehog fans of a certain age have one game near the top of their wishlists: Sonic Adventure 3, a follow-up to the beloved Sega Dreamcast games that ushered in the era of “modern Sonic.” But according to Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka, we won’t get another Sonic Adventure game any time soon.

“I hear people saying that they want Adventure 3, but the path that we’re on and ... Adventure 3, what fans want that to be, might not be an advancement of the series,” Iizuka told Polygon during a pre-Tokyo Game Show interview. So I don’t want to do an Adventure 3 and step the franchise back just to give the fans what they want.”

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/19/16333174/sonic-adventure-3-will-never-happen

robotrock

Banned
It happened, everyone just hated it.

latest

B.K.

I haven't played a Sonic game since Adventure 2. How are modern games any different than the Adventure games?

JayCB

I don't understand, what even is the Sonic Adventure series. SA1 + 2 share practically nothing. Sonic Generations may as well be SA3.

PSqueak

Banned
well, listening to the people who wanted more shit like the adventure series is what ultimately destroyed the franchise.

That's why people wanted, NEEDED, DEMANDED for something like Sonic Mania.

I haven't played a Sonic game since Adventure 2. How are modern games any different than the Adventure games?
Gameplay is basically either 3 lanes 3D gameplay or 2D.
It’s not as open of interactive
It happened, everyone just hated it.

latest
When people ask for SA3 they mean something actually called SA3 and good.
People tried passing Unleashed as SA3 too since it was called world adventure.

Shifty

robotrock with the hard truths

Seriously though, fuck off Iizuka. Failing to find a solid gameplay model and never settling on something that works is not advancing the series.

”I hear people saying that they want Adventure 3, but the path that we're on and ... Adventure 3, what fans want that to be, might not be an advancement of the series," Iizuka told Polygon during a pre-Tokyo Game Show interview. So I don't want to do an Adventure 3 and step the franchise back just to give the fans what they want."

Then what was Sonic Mania?

Sonic 06 was a broken game not because it tried to be adventure 3 but because Sonic Team is inept.

This. Even without the glitches, there would be too many design flaws to consider it on par with some of the lower ranked games of that era like Sonic Heroes

Village

sure

like classic sonic, remember that wasn't coming. Oh. Sonic mania exists.... oh

SA3 would be expensive as hell, there are a lot of expectations that would be required to evolve to be successful. Those are quite expensive. And it doesn't really seem like anyone at sonic team has the inspiration nor the promise of return on investment to make that worth while. When they do they will make it

"So I don't want to do an Adventure 3 and step the franchise back just to give the fans what they want"

This is terrible wording, they never really do anything fans want, and then when they stumble upon something good, they "evolve" it until its unrecognizable and bad. Like literally look at sonic forces right now. Like how are you so blind of your own actions

I'm not really asking for an adventure 3, but that answer seems odd given how heavily they've leaned into just selling Nostalgia in Generations and Forces

Village

I'm not really asking for an adventure 3, but that answer seems odd given how heavily they've leaned into just selling Nostalgia in Generations and Forces

Sonic adventure 3 would be expensive and require like... effort.

Mania , they literally had someone else make it and forces seems like a shit ton of reused assets.

That isn't to say making a video game is easy but sa3 would legit be a gigantic undertaking especially with modern expectations, and they just seem to be not confident enough to actually do something like that

I'm okay with that even though I have a huge soft spot for Adventure.

Keep Whitehead and Co. around and let em make a Mania style game every year or so and I'm good. Sonic Team can keep doing whatever it is they do as long as we keep gettin that sweet 2D goodness on the side.

Sonic adventure 3 would be expensive and require like... effort.

Mania , they literally had someone else make it and forces seems like a shit ton of reused assets.

That isn't to say making a video game is easy but sa3 would legit be a gigantic undertaking especially with modern expectations, and they just seem to be not confident enough to actually do something like that

I don't believe I mentioned Mania once so I'm not sure why you're talking about it

Menitta

Yeah i've come to terms with this. Though I do want another game with multiple playable characters that also plays like Generations.

I always thought that was Sonic Adventure 4, and this was Sonic Adventure 3:
6SjMgap.png

Yeah, Heroes is basically an Adventure-style game crossed with a kinda awkward team mechanic. Coulda been better, coulda been much worse. It's kinda just... meh.

Love some of the music though; Mirror Mansion especially~!

Village

I don't believe I mentioned Mania once so I'm not sure why you're talking about it

I"m saying that they they could place their trust in other people who impressed them with mania , and mania was a much smaller undertaking.

This wouldn't be the case with a sonic adventure 3. They will mine adventure nostalgia, that easy. To put effort into making that game is a much larger task.

Fox318

I'd be curios what a team with interest similar to the Sonic Mania team would do with a Sonic Adventure game.

Crayolan

I don't understand, what even is the Sonic Adventure series. SA1 + 2 share practically nothing. Sonic Generations may as well be SA3.

I assume when people say they want another Adventure game they mean they want level design similar to the Sonic/Shadow levels in SA2, multiple playable characters with different gameplay styles, and a hilariously cheesy story.

I just want the first one.

I"m saying that they they could place their trust in other people who impressed them with mania , and mania was a much smaller undertaking.

This wouldn't be the case with a sonic adventure 3. They will mine adventure nostalgia, that easy. To put effort into making that game is a much larger task.
Again, I don't get why this is a valid response to my post since I never once mentioned mania

Village

I'd be curios what a team with interest similar to the Sonic Mania team would do with a Sonic Adventure game.

i've thought about it and came upon the conclusion I don't want that personally. Though it would be interesting.

I want them to strait up just remake sonic adventure 1 and 2, but better and modernized. Just strait up like a restart. Like if they are successful, just kind of a modern sonic reboot.

Top Bottom