• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure confirmed for the Xbox Live Arcade

I think I'll pass on the port. I still have my Dreamcast hooked up.

I do want to bring up something though. Sonic Adventure is by far my favorite 3D Sonic game. A lot of people have mentioned that it hasn't aged well, and while it was unpolished at release in regards the camera, glitches and physics, I feel its the only 3D game that for the most part captures what the original 2D sonics were about.

Sonic was, and has always been, a platformer at heart. One of the complaints you hear in about Sonic 4's initial release (Before the physics complaints)was that he was "too slow". In the golden age of the franchise, Sonic wasn't really that fast. The levels were generally designed to train platforming segments followed by speed gimmicks, and then back to platforming. Speed in those games came in two flavors; Skill and reward. What I mean by this, is that if you were to get past a tricky platform segment, you would come to something designed to instantly push Sonic at top speeds until he got to the next platforming segment. You can see this is zones like Chemical Plant, Hydrocity zone, Icecap zone, most other zones actually. To draw a parallel, the speed gimmicks were essentially Sonic's take on things like Mario's Launch Stars in Super Mario Galaxy, just a tool to get him from challenge to challenge. When have control of Sonic, he always moved slowly enough to be able to react to enemies and threat in time.

The original trilogy (I consider Sonic 3&Knuckles to be one game) was about creative levels and good, solid platforming with its own twist, and Sonic Adventure hits that for the most part.

There are a lot of problems I have with the game. A big missed opportunity in Sonic sections were speed being required to pass certain obstacles. In the original, were some clever uses of Sonic's speed being required get past certain objects like loop de loops ramps, sudden uphill segments ect. ect. The loop de loops in the 3D games have never felt natural and should have been scrapped immediately. When there are ramps that might actually require speed to get past, there is always a boost pad right there for you.

Of course the supporting cast is a problem as well. Tails is good, but Knuckles, despite being awesome in the original games, is single handedly ruined with the nonlinear treasure hunting levels. Its a shame too, be cause he was actually fun as far as his skills and abilities. Amy sucks, but I'll giver her a pass because I really liked her Twinkle Park level. E-101 should have just had his own spin off game, which might have been neat if proper attention was given to it and I do like the character and his character design. There is no excuse for Bigs.

In the end though, Sonic Adventure is still a great game with a lot of heart. It has its problems, definitely, but its a true successor of the original Trilogy and it doesn't deserve the bad rap that it gets.

none the less the 2004 pc port is 20 times better even without widescreen mods, pop-in tweaks, texture swaps and all that.

I really don't understand sega sometimes, I mean why did they not just release the 2004 port on steam? it.... I just don't know.

Hitokage said:
You're not playing Amy right unless your only method of getting around is hammer bouncing.

I'm aware of the hammer bounce. I just feel she doesn't belong as a playable character in a Sonic game. Perhaps it wouldn't bug me if it was some kind of spin off or something.

DeVeAn

Sega1991 said:
So not to drudge up this thread for nothing, but the Dreamcast Collection is on Steam now. You can get Sonic Adventure DX for $9. But, uh, you might want to steer clear.

Showing an almost transcendental ineptitude, the PC port of the "Dreamcast Collection" version of SADX is actually a port of the Xbox Live Arcade version. That's not a typo: They took the 2004 PC port of Sonic Adventure DX, ported that to Xbox Live Arcade, and then ported the Xbox Live Arcade version back to the PC again. A port of a port of a port of a port!

If that wasn't hilarious enough, the Dreamcast Collection version of Sonic Adventure runs at scaled 640x480 no matter what resolution you set the game at. Worse still, unless you run it at 1280x720, the game is stretched to the full resolution of your monitor. Only in 1280x720 will the game apply appropriate letterboxing to keep its 4:3 aspect ratio.

For comparison (I borrowed these images from Sonic Retro):

2011 "Dreamcast Collection" version of Sonic Adventure:
2z4zez5.png

2004 PC version of Sonic Adventure DX:
28md8vt.png
Blindly got this on Steam summer sale WTF SEGA? I want my money back this is trash. Not only that the configure option doesnt work you have to copy and paste config.ini file to documents\sega\sonicdx and change the values yourself. Also until recently the game would not save. Is there a way to get my money back? I usually say fuck it but this is a huge slap in the face. Oh, and framerate is 60 but dips often thought I would point that out.

Contact Steam Support if you want to try for a refund. I don't know how successful you'll be, but if you want one, that's the way to go about it.

Top Bottom