• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure or Mario 64, which 3D mascot platformer was the best?

Best 3D mascot platforming game?

• Sonic Adventure

Votes: 73 10.5%
  • Mario 64

Votes: 588 84.7%
  • I preferred the Sony mascot platformer: Crash Bandicoot.

Votes: 33 4.8%

• Total voters
Both haven't aged too well but both of these games were the first time Sonic and Mario transitioned to 3D platforming. Each are also often said to be the best 3D entries in each franchise, though Galaxy 2 gets many nods often.

So which mascot had a better transition to 3D title, Sonic or Mario?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Both haven't aged too well but both of these games were the first time Sonic and Mario transitioned to 3D platforming. Each are also often said to be the best 3D entries in each franchise, though Galaxy 2 gets many nods often.

So which mascot had a better transition to 3D title, Sonic or Mario?
Super Mario 64 plays incredibly well to this day. The gameplay mechanics and/or game structure may not be as varied as current iterations - Galaxy in particular makes Super Mario 64 feel positively simple in comparison - but make no mistake, it's still a great game that plays very well. Sonic Adventure was outdated about a week after launch.

Not a question worth asking, in my opinion.

I like Sonic Adventure as much as the next guy, and while the SADX port on GameCube is buggier and worse than the original Dreamcast version and sullied its reputation, Mario 64 is undeniably the better game. Its so much tighter. So much more focused.
Sonic Adventure is good in pieces, but there is a lot of crap in there as well.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Its possible to think this is an actual close contest?

Last edited:

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
While SA wasn't bad, Mario 64 was gameplay perfection, the 3D worlds were incredible. Game to game Mario 64 was a masterpiece, SA was an acceptable entry and proper transition into 3D but it didn't compare to what Mario 64 did at the time.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
… I mean I love Sonic Adventures and the Dreamcast was my favorite system ever, but you’d have to have some screws loose or some seriously unresolved Italian/plumber hatred/abuse/ptsd/daddy issues to think SA is even in the same tier as Mario 64. Seek helped, it will be ok.

this is worse than that Siphon Filter vs Metal Gear Solid thread.

Last edited:

LRKD

My personal preference is SA, I enjoy playing it much more, so for me it's the 'best'. It' however isn't as 'high quality', and in many ways it didn't transitioned better then SM64 either. It has a lot more jank to it. So I suppose Mario 64 'wins', but for me it doesn't matter that it's the 'better' game, SA is more enjoyable.

In my experience many hardcore SM64 fans will go berserk over the mention of their game aging poorly, it definitely isn't 'agreed' apon, the ones I've talked to will deny it to the end of time. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wow, Sonic Adventure felt old the day it was released.
This is a little like have a poll where the two options are:
1) I want you to punch me in the face.
2) I don't want you to punch me in the face.

That would be far more devisive than this poll!!

ZehDon

Gold Member
Noooooo. But neither is SA to be fair, imo.
Sorry, but that's just silly. Super Mario 64 is simply one the best games of all time, and not just because of how "important" it is - it's one of the best ever made because of how timeless it is truly is. It plays stupidly well for a game of its age. There are games that are younger that play far, far worse. To be quite truthful, the worst thing about Mario 64 is its camera - it's not very good. Everything else, however, is still unironically enjoyable today.

Sorry friend, but this thread has "false equivalency" written all over it given your response.

Sorry, but that's just silly. Super Mario 64 is simply one the best games of all time,
You must have been born in the 90's USA, neither game is an example of anything close to "best" in anything.

Liking one game more is one thing but you need to play more games my man if you think either of them is one of the best game ever.

Last edited:
Sorry but this thread is so pointless.

Sonic Adventure was an entire generation late and it had several major issues. The camera being the biggest one.

It was already a step behind Mario 64 and what was releasing during the Dreamcast/PS2 era.

Close this thread lol

ZehDon

Gold Member
You must have been born in the 90's USA, neither game is an example of anything close to "best" in anything.

Liking one game more is one thing but you need to play more games my man if you think either of them is one of the best game ever.
Terrible post - this is your thread and you're can't even defend your own premise without this type of nonsense. So, to tick it off - 80s Australian, so your pathetic attempt to dismiss me using arbitrary definitions is pointless, and I never said Super Mario 64 is the best game ever, so you're conclusion is also pointless. Why even bother posting this?

You're referring to "either of them", as if to attach Sonic Adventure to Super Mario 64's coat tails. You've shown you're not interested in your topic. I won't reply any more. Better luck next thread.

Mario 64 was one of the most influential games made in the last 30 years. Frankly downplaying it makes you sound like you’re new to gaming.

Terrible post - this is your thread and you're can't even defend your own premise without this type of nonsense.
I didn't need to defend anything, your mad because I didn't agree with your opinion Mario 64 isn't one of the best games ever, an opinion usually seen from those who grew up with the game.

I never said Super Mario 64 is the best game ever,
You didn't read the last sentence of my post. But this is a bit ridiculous, you can have your opinion but you shouldn't be surprised many people didn't think Mario 64 is one of the best games ever

I didn't need to defend anything, your mad because I didn't agree with your opinion Mario 64 isn't one of the best games ever, an opinion usually seen from those who grew up with the game.

You didn't read the last sentence of my post. But this is a bit ridiculous, you can have your opinion but you shouldn't be surprised many people didn't think Mario 64 is one of the best games ever
Uhhhh did you notice the results to your poll?

Mario 64 was one of the most influential games made in the last 30 years. Frankly downplaying it makes you sound like you’re new to gaming.
Me saying I didn't agree with it being one of the best games ever isn't downplaying Mario 64. You dont seem to be using that word correctly.

There seems to be some anti-Sonic dudes coming in here assuming I think SA is better despite me not giving that information and reacting aggressively. Calm down.

So you're going to strawman while ignoring the title and the op? Yeah you could have just chose and moved on. Not sure what you're doing now.

Laughing at the sheer stupidity of this thread mainly, and laughing even harder at the attempt to double down.

Last edited:

Good grief. You act like calling Mario 64 one of the best games ever made is a hot take. Nothing is agreed upon by everyone, but very few things are more agreed upon than saying Mario 64 is one of the best games ever made.

Comparing Mario 64 to Sonic Adventure is just ridiculous. They don't belong in the same breath.

And you stating "neither has aged well" as factual is also dumb. Mario 64 has aged better than other 3D games that came a decade later. It holds up great to this day, with the exception of problems with the camera, especially in later levels.

Last edited:
Laughing at the sheer stupidity of this thread mainly, and laughing even harder at the attempt to double down.
You don't even know what you're saying, there's nothing for me to double down on. You are the one doubling down on a losing argument after misreading the op and thread title.

Since you didn't have a point there's nothing to discuss. Have a nice day

You act like calling Mario 64 one of the best games ever made is a hot take. .
No I just didn't agree with it, and so do most gamers. If my opinion upsets you I can't do anything to help you.

This thread is about SA and Mario 64, and which people think did better going into 3D, not whether you're upset I didn't think Mario 64 is the best game of all time. You're even resorting to name calling.

And because you seem like a person that would do it, no, I don't think SA is one of the best games either.

Last edited:

blacktout

This thread didn't stand a chance. OP, you should relaunch it with a more competitive premise. There must be a Sonic game out there that can beat a Mario game in a poll. How about you try "Sonic 2 vs. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)." That might be a squeaker. Or, if you really want to give the hedgehog a shot, you could go with "Sonic 2 vs. The Lost Levels."

This thread didn't stand a chance. OP, you should relaunch it with a more competitive premise. There must be a Sonic game out there that can beat a Mario game in a poll. How about you try "Sonic 2 vs. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)." That might be a squeaker. Or, if you really want to give the hedgehog a shot, you could go with "Sonic 2 vs. The Lost Levels."
You're view of the threads intentions is incorrect, these are two games often brought up as the best 3D entries in each series and both were the first transitions to 3D for both series. All I'm asking is which did better and that's it, almost every argument are upset fanatics that are making assumptions without information or not liking that I didn't think either game is one of the best games of all time.

This has nothing to do with Sonic itself or making it competitive.

Top Bottom