• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle vs. Super Mario Sunshine, best GameCube 3D platformer?

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle vs. Super Mario Sunshine

• Total voters

Holammer

Voting Sonic here is grounds for getting sectioned. You're clearly a danger to yourself and others.

Sunshine still holds up, especially with a bit of Dolphin lube, 60fps hack, widescreen anti-aliasing & increased resolution Mamma Mia!
I still haven't tried henrikomagnifico's 4k texture mod.

Mario sunshine was a great game. I don't know why many people didn't like it.

I do love sonic adventure 2 but I really don't like the tails sections.

I mean maybe if you were a gamecube only owner and you preferred faster-paced action games during the GC's lifecycle, maybeeee you would choose Sonic?

nikos

Sunshine is one of the worst Mario games. It was such a disappointment when it released, rivaled only by the Galaxy games.

SA2 has its highs, but also some low lows. While I enjoyed most of the Sonic and Shadow speed stages, the stages with the other characters were not as fun, and the treasure hunting stages were downright boring and tedious. Some of the game mechanics were a bit dodgy too and created a few moments of frustration (eg rail switching). But overall it's a fun, memorable experience.

However, SMS has that next-level Nintendo quality and the platforming game mechanics are just smooth and work consistently. The stages were all very creative and had just the right level of challenge. I get that the water jetpack turned off a lot of people, but it was a fun little gimmick that sets it apart from the other 3D Mario games, and the water effects were pretty impressive, especially for its time. No doubt, as most others have pointed out, it's the overall better platformer.

Top Bottom