• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed out on PC today

Caporale

Banned
Why I think the game is performing poorly? I think the kart racing genre just isn't a large one on PC or the HD consoles, Blur performed poorly as well (on all platforms) and it even had a solid marketing push behind it and was developed at one of the top racing game studios in the world. Really the only franchise we see with remarkable performance in the genre is from Nintendo. Little Big Planet Karting appears to have been a failure, and I don't think Modnation Racers set the sales charts ablaze either.

So, you agree with me. Kart racing games aren't games that people spend $30+ on. That's what I said. This is a $10-$15 game being sold at twice what it's worth for people. These are quick fix arcade style games that people just want to play for a little while and drop. That's my whole point.

Zabka

So, you agree with me. Kart racing games aren't games that people spend $30+ on. That's what I said. This is a $10-$15 game being sold at twice what it's worth for people. These are quick fix arcade style games that people just want to play for a little while and drop. That's my whole point.

How does Mario Kart fit into your strange view?

TaroYamada

That isn't what I said, you are preposterous. The game is worth the asking price, by comparison Mario Kart seems lazy (particularly as regards to graphics and visuals) and is a full-priced game on every system it releases on. Transformed is a great value, I'm not buying it right now because I'm working on backlog titles only at the moment, but if I had spare time in the amount I allot for gaming I would have pre-ordered.

Caporale

Banned
Yeah okay now you're just making yourself out to be a blithering idiot.

I don't appreciate the personal insults, but I'll tell you why Dark Souls isn't worth more than $15 to me. It uses GFWL, which is a near deal-breaker by itself, but to top it off, you have to install an unofficial hack just to get the game to run at your monitor's native resolution. Are you kidding me? Do you think that cheap, incompetent ports like that are worth $50+? Publishers must love easy sales like you.

MaLDo

This game is worth 30 euro. Even 35.

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-05-48-56.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-05-56-27.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-06-33-65.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252018-34-20-47.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252018-34-48-81.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252018-34-57-36.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-08-27-02.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-09-40-61.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252018-38-19-93.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-02-48-98.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-03-42-46.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-04-15-56.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-12-14-29.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-13-25-80.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-16-43-05.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-19-26-71.jpg

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%252019-24-18-55.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
If the PC version is anything like the Vita version which it probably is (and likely much better framerate!) then this game is absolutely worth whatever they are asking for. I heard $40 in US? That's a bargain. The game is designed extremely well and there is a tonne packed in. They have been really generous and it's led to a game with a lot of replayability.

My only complaints are (slight issues with) framerate on Vita, and weapons could have been cooler.

Edit- thanks for the correction below guys, that makes it even better. I paid £40 for the Vita game, that group offer 1-D_FTW mentions makes it mighty tempting to double dip and get a smooth version but my pc is completely out of order..can't even get it to last a few minutes on stock mobo settings..video glitches etc..think the graphics card (ati 4870x2) is dead - I did de-dust it a few months ago too, meh. I'll get it on PC especially if they don't give us another fps patch. Those screenshots look awesome too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If the PC version is anything like the Vita version which it probably is (and likely much better framerate!) then this game is absolutely worth whatever they are asking for. I heard $40 in US? That's a bargain. The game is designed extremely well and there is a tonne packed in. They have been really generous and it's led to a game with a lot of replayability.

My only complaints are framerate on Vita, and weapons could have been cooler.

30 dollars

TaroYamada

It's $30 on PC in the US. Yupppppp. Too much!

1-D_FTW

It's 29.99. And if you get a 4 pack on Steam, or a coupon with GMG, then it can be had for 20.00 dollars.

If only I knew as much as you obviously do.

From over here it looks like you are looking for a reason to hate this game, or at least hate the developer. You're scraping together whatever evidence you can find, even if it's obscure or years old.

You aren't making a very sound argument, no matter what you're trying to actually do. You basically waltzed right in to the lion's den covered in lamb's blood and said "boy, I sure hope I don't get violently eviscerated today."

Any flimsy or tangential points you are making are completely deconstructed by your insistence of certain facts that are not only subjective, but more importantly outdated. You carry yourself like a man with a grudge, and you are in the wrong thread to be acting that way.

Aru

I've been trying to create a profile for this game in the Nvidia Panel, but I'm not really sure forcing any setting gives a better image quality to this game. I'll try again tomorrow and really check anti-aliasing especially. I have a GTX 660 with 2 GB of VRAM, so I should be able to put some crazy AA processing for this game. But when I tried modifying the general settings in the panel, I didn't notice any change.

I'm playing in 720p resolution (my TV's native resolution). I tried using the AA option of the game. Doesn't really change anything, or maybe it's just me.

1-D_FTW

I already said it stings. You got me with another 4 butt hurt console fans posting in a youtube thread. Clearly it's 4 - 0 and Sega sucks and has an abysmal reputation with PC gamers in the year 2013.

Caporale

Banned
From over here it looks like you are looking for a reason to hate this game, or at least hate the developer. You're scraping together whatever evidence you can find, even if it's obscure or years old.

You aren't making a very sound argument, no matter what you're trying to actually do. You basically waltzed right in to the lion's den covered in lamb's blood and said "boy, I sure hope I don't get violently eviscerated today."

Any flimsy or tangential points you are making are completely deconstructed by your insistence of certain facts that are not only subjective, but more importantly outdated. You carry yourself like a man with a grudge, and you are in the wrong thread to be acting that way.

Years old? You mean the NeoGAF thread from November 2012 where everyone was trashing Sega? Really old.

I think the fact (that's right--fact) that this game is bombing is enough evidence that this game wasn't priced properly. If you read my posts, I haven't once commented on the quality of the game. I've only been talking about the fact that given the market, this game was not priced properly.

Years old? You mean the NeoGAF thread from November 2012 where everyone was trashing Sega? Really old.

I think the fact (that's right--fact) that this game is bombing is enough evidence that this game wasn't priced properly. If you read my posts, I haven't once commented on the quality of the game. I've only been talking about the fact that given the market, this game was not priced properly.

Furthermore, when people respond to your complaints, you nitpick technicalities in their arguments like it's something that actually matters.

I've been trying to create a profile for this game in the Nvidia Panel, but I'm not really sure forcing any setting gives a better image quality to this game. I'll try again tomorrow and really check anti-aliasing especially. I have a GTX 660 with 2 GB of VRAM, so I should be able to put some crazy AA processing for this game. But when I tried modifying the general settings in the panel, I didn't notice any change.

I'm playing in 720p resolution (my TV's native resolution). I tried using the AA option of the game. Doesn't really change anything, or maybe it's just me.

Have you tried using Nvidia Inspector? A lot of PC gaffers with NVIDIA cards vouch for that program to apply things like SGSSAA, forced MSAA and other fantastic AA settings.

NVIDIA Inspector @ Guru3D

Try going to your C:\Users\(YourUserName)\Documents folder, head to the SART folder, and delete the settings.xml file inside.

That should reset it to the default state.

Thanks. I edited the file and put it 1920x1080 and now the configurator shows that it's at that resolution. Now to apply some more AA.

Guess Who

Banned
Game is glorious and if you think this isn't worth $30 then please go back to playing games on your smartphone, thanks.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nitpick "technicalities?" You mean "pointing out that your entire argument was based on a lie?"

Okay, I was going to back out of this since I realized you aren't going to be swayed from your flawed logic, and I actually am getting a few chuckles reading this, but I wanted to interlude for a second.

Firstly, it is true that SEGA did and continues to have a bad reputation to get over. Rightfully so, their releases in the mid-2000s ranged from atrociousness to okay. A stigma still does stand with them, and for some, it will take a while to wash that off.

However, that stigma has never existed for the PC marketplace, at least. SEGA's always had a strange fascination with the PC platform ever since the 90s, and they have worked well to bring PC gamers, especially in the last few years, excellent ports of their titles, support developers under their wing, and treat their customers with respect and release their titles at very reasonable prices.

Their games, such as Binary Domain, Sonic Generations, Total War Shogun, many others including, yes, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, are all quality titles. I do not believe anyone who has played Racing Transformed would argue that it is not a quality game with a lot of meat to it. And still, SEGA makes the wise decision to release these games at very reasonable prices, and have made the smart marketing move to move out of AAA development and run a more successful business with smaller budgets but delivering their content to their niches with quality titles. Two of their biggest franchises are on PC, and their recent ports to PC have all be pretty steller (not every port ever, but recently they have been on a roll). They have become and continue to be an excellent digital distributor, which hopefully stays true as it is a good fit for them.

Your arguments, all of them, either fall into being completely objective and ridiculous, or being an okay point backed-up by nonsensical 'evidence'. You seem like one of those butthurt complainers who pays so much attention to brand it can delude your senses to the actual quality of the product, and will go out of their way to try and preech their word/opinion to others. In this case, walking into a topic where almost everyone is really enjoying the game and citing why they shouldn't be enjoying it, or why the game isn't good, or the company that made it isn't good, or whatever.

And then you put yourself into a vicious cycle of rinse-and-repeat arguing that is just making you look more and more like a fool. I don't mind different opinions, but these type of 'arguments' are just facepalm worthy, not very constructive, not fun to debate, or are progressive in any way.

I'll back out, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.
I know, I fed the troll, etc.

Good fucking god the derail.

While I didn't help, I was worried about this. This is a quality game, and been having a lot of fun playing this on my own and looking forward to some friends getting it.

Caporale

Banned
How does Mario Kart fit into your strange view?

For the same reason a lot of mediocre Nintendo games such as New Super Mario Bros. sold extremely well: there were a lot of Gamecubes and Wiis collecting dust, and there was simply nothing else to play.

Shaneus

If what I'm seeing is true, it's actually selling better on PC than it did on consoles. That won't be known for certain, because Valve doesn't release Steam sales figures, but it was in the top 20 best sellers for a while and is slowly falling.

In most places, the console versions failed to even chart.
Do we know if the best sellers chart on Steam also includes titles bought on external sites? Because I'd wager a fair chunk of people who bought it on PC picked it up from sites like GMG.

1-D_FTW

Do we know if the best sellers chart on Steam also includes titles bought on external sites? Because I'd wager a fair chunk of people who bought it on PC picked it up from sites like GMG.

It only includes Steam store purchases.

Number of players online includes everyone, but the Top Seller list is exclusively about the Steam store purchases.

Caporale

Banned
However, that stigma has never existed for the PC marketplace, at least. SEGA's always had a strange fascination with the PC platform ever since the 90s, and they have worked well to bring PC gamers, especially in the last few years, excellent ports of their titles, support developers under their wing, and treat their customers with respect and release their titles at very reasonable prices.

In this case, walking into a topic where almost everyone is really enjoying the game and citing why they shouldn't be enjoying it, or why the game isn't good, or the company that made it isn't good, or whatever.

Actually, the stigma's existed for a very long time, and it started with their dismal ports of Saturn games to the PC. Sega has a long history of pumping out shoddy ports for the PC.

I'm sorry to say that you have really poor reading comprehension, because I haven't made a single comment about the actual quality of the game. I haven't said a single thing about what people should be enjoying or whether the game is any good or whether Sega is any good. I've said that Sega has a shitty reputation amongst all gamers, and they do. I said the game isn't selling well because it wasn't priced properly, and it's not selling well. It's about as simple as that, but you can rant on emotionally just because you're so personally invested in the game you can't even read this text without seeing it as an attack on something you like even though it isn't.

Zabka

For the same reason a lot of mediocre Nintendo games such as New Super Mario Bros. sold extremely well: there were a lot of Gamecubes and Wiis collecting dust, and there was simply nothing else to play.

You're full of interesting little opinions.

I think I'll pick this up from Amazon. It comes with a $5 video game credit.

Shaneus

Well, there are 3200 people playing Dark Souls on Steam right now, and there are 600 playing Sonic.
How many people are playing now is hardly indicative of how many it sold. I got a reasonably good score in the first GP on it and I was placed 1500. So try harder.

Caporale

Banned
Obviously they haven't heard about Sega's terrible reputation on PC.

You realize that Sports Interactive had a _long_ history of Championship Manager games before Sega ever bought them?

You realize that most of the people who play the manager games couldn't care less about the publisher?

In fact, for more than half of the existence of Sports Interactive, they had nothing to do with Sega.

Skyzard

Banned
Sega picked things up for me after Generations, was fantastic on PC.

When they followed with JSR ports and now this, they're pretty much solid in my books again. Really looking forward to their new Sonic game too.

Not that it has anything to do with why this probably isn't selling great on PC.

Name a karting game that has sold well on PC after a few days of sales following a couple months gap when people could have gotten it on consoles. The fact that they still brought it over seems like a nice gesture. And thankfully they aren't fooled by the idea of charging more for smaller fanbases.

You realize that Sports Interactive had a _long_ history of Championship Manager games before Sega ever bought them?

You realize that most of the people who play the manager games couldn't care less about the publisher?

In fact, for more than half of the existence of Sports Interactive, they had nothing to do with Sega.

So why did you pick it as a specific comparison?

This game is the perfect game for taking a break in between shooters and what not. It looks and feels amazing. For the first time ever, I'm getting my wife to come into the computer room to play games. She loves the Mario Kart games... Double Dash anyway, but she's never played on the PC. She couldn't believe how great it looks. She's enjoying this one much more than the other Mario Karts. Unfortunately, if it weren't for this thread, I'd have never heard of it. The asking price is totally reasonable. Hopefully we can get some word of mouth behind it.

Caporale

Banned
There's lots of games that have done that. If Sega being the publisher isn't significant, why did you specifically choose that one?

Because I just recently noted it being in the top 10 for a while. If you want another example, Skyrim on Steam still has 35,594 players right now. It's a single player game, and it's over a year old, and it still has that many people playing on Steam. Now that's a game that sold well.

TaroYamada

Because I just recently noted it being in the top 10 for a while. If you want another example, Skyrim on Steam still has 35,594 players right now. It's a single player game, and it's over a year old, and it still has that many people playing on Steam. Now that's a game that sold well.

Oh boy, you will be one of the most fun juniors to watch in the coming weeks, I don't think you'll last long but I'll enjoy the lurking while it lasts.

People are complaining about the price? It was available for $25 with $5 in credit on Amazon. If that's too expensive for a quality game at launch, then you need to find a new hobby.

TaroYamada

People are complaining about the price? It was available for $25 with $5 in credit on Amazon. If that's too expensive for a quality game at launch, then you need to find a new hobby.

My suggestion? Warhammer miniatures, bargain bin prices over there folks.

Top Bottom