• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

RobbieNick said:
One problem I have with the game is that the multiplayer once again seems tacked on. Only four characters to chose from? Just like with Secret Rings, they shouldn't even bother with multiplayer unless you are racing the levels.

No, I think Secret Rings' multiplayer was tacked on in a way that doesn't even compare to this. It was effectively two separate projects that got jammed together into the same game. At least this is themed around the single player game's content.

CaVaYeRo said:
I was at the Euro event, here are some more bits:

- Sonic and the Black Night European release: 13th March
- No Wii MotionPlus on this game. They never confirmed that feature (although someone said that Nintendo Power said that)
- They have implemented HDR lighting. First time for SEGA in Wii.
- Let's Tap will come to Europe this Summer. No release date yet. (also in the Let's Tap thread)

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias-3293-Sonic-el-13-de-marzo-y-Let's-Tap-en-verano.html

I'll try and put some Sonic impressions later. I liked Tap more, though.

Can you say what the game's framerate is? 30? 60?

And were you really able to move Sonic around freely? Does he move like he does in Unleashed, or with more control so to say like in the Adventure games?

And can someone show me a screenshot that shows exactly what HDR Lighting is like? And the HDR Lighting is in BK right? I'm slightly confused as you chagned the subject to Let's Tap right after.

Edit: Ah okay! I looked it up at Wikipedia, and here's a comparison pic of HDR Lighting:

800px-Farcryhdr.jpg

I've seen that bloomy lighting on the Knights' armor! Looks gorgeous! :D

72891520081127_150206_11_big.jpg

With HDR, there's NO WAY IN HELL Sonic will run at 60fps, unless they're faking it with bloom. The PS3/360 would have trouble handling that. All but the most powerful video cards can handle HDR and still maintain a good frame rate.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cow Mengde said:
With HDR, there's NO WAY IN HELL Sonic will run at 60fps, unless they're faking it with bloom. The PS3/360 would have trouble handling that. All but the most powerful video cards can handle HDR and still maintain a good frame rate.

I don't know why people expect 60fps. When was the last time a Sonic game was 60fps? SA2? SA1 wasn't even 60fps.

Andrex said:
I don't know why people expect 60fps. When was the last time a Sonic game was 60fps? SA2? SA1 wasn't even 60fps.

Zero Gravity on the Wii at least was 60.

So was Shadow, original Riders, Heroes (sans in 2P).

All for the GC version at least.

Cow Mengde said:
Wasn't Sonic 2006 60 fps?

Ah, forgot that! Only played a demo at EB for 5min.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't get it. Who cares for lighting in a Sonic game. Stable, constant 60fps would be of a much bigger value imo.

CaVaYeRo

Hero of Legend said:
Can you say what the game's framerate is? 30? 60?

And were you really able to move Sonic around freely? Does he move like he does in Unleashed, or with more control so to say like in the Adventure games?

I'm not sure, video wasn't component based, but I'll play more of the game soon and I will share more details when I'm allowed to do so online. However, I can share some more things when I have yesterday's hands on / interview with Naka-san and Katano-San up and live.

You can move Sonic like in SotR, but it's easier and more accurate with the Nunchuk.

Yoshi said:
I don't get it. Who cares for lighting in a Sonic game. Stable, constant 60fps would be of a much bigger value imo.

Well, not that I'm specially interested in The Black Knight lighting, but that came out speaking about visual effects and some other things on the graphical side, during the interview.

I can see that when you read that HDR bit out of its context, it's more illogical.

CaVaYeRo said:
I'm not sure, video wasn't component based, but I'll play more of the game soon and I will share more details when I'm allowed to do so online. However, I can share some more things when I have yesterday's hands on / interview with Naka-san and Katano-San up and live.

You can move Sonic like in SotR, but it's easier and more accurate with the Nunchuk.

Well, not that I'm specially interested in The Black Knight lighting, but that came out speaking about visual effects and some other things on the graphical side, during the interview.

I can see that when you read that HDR bit out of its context, it's more illogical.

You mean Secret rings? So he automatically moves forward? :(

When will the impressions and interview go up?

And as far as I know, framreate hardly changes on the Wii between 480i and 480p.

Does it run faster/smoother than Secret Rings and Unleashed and as smooth as in Adventure 2 for example?

CaVaYeRo

Hero of Legend said:
You mean Secret rings? So he automatically moves forward? :(

When will the impressions and interview go up?

And as far as I know, framreate hardly changes on the Wii between 480i and 480p.

Does it run faster/smoother than Secret Rings and Unleashed and as smooth as in Adventure 2 for example?

Not that it changes, but if the video quality is not good, you really can't tell.

The interview is up in Spanish:

we'll post the quotes in English during the day, and then work on the hands on of both games. In the meantime, feel free to use babelfish or just look at the photos :p

RobbieNick

Yes, NP gave it an 8.0.

Other highlights noted.

- Swordplay doesn't slow down Sonic. The Game is fast.

- Like 360 Unleashed it has hidden depth. You can go straight forward and beat it in a day, or talk to villagers and get extra optional missions, to raise your knighthood. To completely finish the game could take weeks. (So basically, like Unleashed but with no Werehog levels, and it still has villagers.)

- Running and slahing controls are much easier than the tilt controls from Secret Rings.

- Dialouge between Sonic and the sword is actually funny.

- Story is decent with a nice plot twist around the middle.

- Graphics are beautiful for Wii.

Sounds good!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pretty sure grandjedi will just come in here soon and bitch out NP, but the score is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned; of much greater importance is the review text itself. Thanks for the details RobbieNick.

That part about the Knighthood being optional is a huge relief- I feared it would be the game's Sonic 2006-esque hub worlds. I'm still wary on what you said they remarked of the story, though. I also take it you're only posting the good parts.

NTom64

Great to hear the game turned out to be good, can't wait for this :D

A quick question, for people in the know. Judging from some of the comments here, I can't tell how it controls.

Do you control it:

A) Like a regular 3D Sonic game (i.e. use the control stick for free movement)

or

B) Moving automatically forward like in Rings, but using the control stick to move left and right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Davey Cakes

Nintendo Power also gave Sonic Unleashed for Wii a score of 8/10. Not only that, but they gave Secret Rings an 8.5/10.

Just be cautious.

kenji

NTom64 said:
Great to hear the game turned out to be good, can't wait for this :D

A quick question, for people in the know. Judging from some of the comments here, I can't tell how it controls.

Do you control it:

A) Like a regular 3D Sonic game (i.e. use the control stick for free movement)

or

B) Moving automatically forward like in Rings, but using the control stick to move left and right.

Any help would be appreciated.
B is the correct answer
it's like Rings, but instead of moving using the waggle totally, you use nunchuck and wiimote buttons, with waggle for slashing the sword
it's much similar to Unleashed Wii controls, too

kenji said:
B is the correct answer
it's like Rings, but instead of moving using the waggle totally, you use nunchuck and wiimote buttons, with waggle for slashing the sword

But you could move freely in Unleashed.

Davey Cakes

M74 said:
Oh sh*t, abandon ship!
I say just take heed against what Nintendo Power says.

Listen, I'm a huge fan of Secret Rings. This is why I'm looking forward to Black Knight. But, I'll wait for a larger consensus. Even though NP gave SR a better score, and gave the often-unliked Wii version of Unleashed a good score, they are only one publication. At the end of the day, if Sonic & the Black Knight gets better scores all around than Secret Rings, then that's all the indication I need. SR is dancing at the 69% range on Gamerankings (even though I, in general, hate using Gamerankings) and I enjoyed that game more than any other Sonic game in the last several years. If Black Knight surpasses that, then it will bring me joy.

NTom64

kenji said:
B is the correct answer

Thanks.

Hero of Legend said:
New preview:
12 playable characters in multiplayer apparently.

Wow....wonder what weapons they'll give to the others then.

Eteric Rice

Rash said:
Nintendo Power also gave Sonic Unleashed for Wii a score of 8/10. Not only that, but they gave Secret Rings an 8.5/10.

Just be cautious.

I think there's a whole new staff, though. Secret Rings was years ago.

Also, that engine... Holy shit they need to use it in other games.

Haunted

RobbieNick said:
Yes, NP gave it an 8.0.

Other highlights noted.

- Swordplay doesn't slow down Sonic. The Game is fast.

- Like 360 Unleashed it has hidden depth. You can go straight forward and beat it in a day, or talk to villagers and get extra optional missions, to raise your knighthood. To completely finish the game could take weeks. (So basically, like Unleashed but with no Werehog levels, and it still has villagers.)

- Running and slahing controls are much easier than the tilt controls from Secret Rings.

- Dialouge between Sonic and the sword is actually funny.

- Story is decent with a nice plot twist around the middle.

- Graphics are beautiful for Wii.

Sounds good!
Joke review confirmed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:
There are 247 items to collect, and there are 12 playable characters in multiplayer apparently.

...what. How is that even possible?

-Sonic
-Shadow
-Knuckles
-Blaze
-Tails
-Robotnik

Please please please tell me Big and Rouge aren't in this. Please.

But if it's someone like NiGHTS or Metal Sonic, then awesome. :O Maybe they count the super ultra mega forms as different characters?
Confused01.gif

Haunted said:
Joke review confirmed.

Well it's coming from someone with a Sonic avatar, so maybe NP just outlined the story and Robbie went ":O! This is awesome!"
Sorry Robbie, gotta protect ourselves after all the recent... stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IGN said:
Although speed junkies will find plenty of zippy action in Black Knight, Sonic Team has also included elements clearly designed to slow the action down. For example, obstacles that pop up in a flash, like spikes and crates, slamming the hedgehog to a dead stop in his tracks. And certain challenges require that Sonic slow down and interact with villagers in mid-level, rescuing them or giving them coins, before he can be on his way again.

What the fuck, Robbie? I thought this was optional?

The IGN preview is not glowing, to say the least. They'll rate it in the low 7's at the highest I suspect. :(

IGN said:
SEGA's latest Wii-exclusive Sonic offering has production values to spare... speed junkies will probably be pleased with some of the high-octane scenarios we've seen so far. Indeed, the game's biggest issue is once more tethered to the unrefined gimmick that Sonic Team has utilized as the backbone for the project. If the developer can quickly present some control alternatives before Black Knight ships, the end product may still impress. But all the loose waggling that comprises the present package is just as frustrating as interesting.

Fuck.

Teknoman

Hmm...i'll have to wait and check out reviews here and there. Big time Sonic fan, but there are too many other games to day 1 between now and the end of March.

EDIT: Someone needs to ban the word waggle from any spoken language. The sword attacks are probably no worse than Twilight Princess...I hope.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
MIMIC said:
Why does Sonic have a damn sword?! DO NOT WANT

Sega, why? :(

Ironically, this is the first sonic game I've ever been interested in. Because of the swords and setup of the whole game. 0.o

Ironically, the 2 complaints that made me avoid SATSR don't seem to exist in this one, so I *may* just get this day 1.

FoxSpirit

Cow Mengde said:

Whut??

GoDLiKe

Andrex said:
...what. How is that even possible?

-Sonic
-Shadow
-Knuckles
-Blaze
-Tails
-Robotnik

Please please please tell me Big and Rouge aren't in this. Please.
Well, if my memory is good:

-Cream
- Chao
- Big
- Omega
- Super Sonic
- Amy
- Team Chaotix (3 chars)
- That one from the Master System's game
- Those new ones from Sonic Rider series
- Metal Sonic

And so on.

The Hermit

Andrex said:

The IGN review is not glowing, to say the least. They'll rate it in the low 7's at the highest I suspect. :(

Fuck.

Should I post "it" now or later?

I think I´ll wait till the review...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Rash said:

Just be cautious.
NP also gave Shadow the Hedgehog a 8/10. Me thinks there's a pattern here :lol

Eteric Rice said:
I think there's a whole new staff, though. Secret Rings was years ago.
No there isn't.

Andrex said:

The IGN review is not glowing, to say the least. They'll rate it in the low 7's at the highest I suspect. :(

Fuck.

They're optional in the same way Sonic Unleashed's hub levels were "optional"

Davey Cakes

Andrex said:
The IGN preview is not glowing, to say the least. They'll rate it in the low 7's at the highest I suspect. :(
First of all, it's IGN. They hate waggle, and overblow its impact on gameplay. Also, they rated Secret Rings with a 6.9.

Secret Rings was fun as hell.

If this scores in the 7s at IGN, that'll mean it's an improvement over Secret Rings (and Unleashed), so how is that a bad thing?

Top Bottom