• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think the gameplay will be fine, as good as Unleashed Wii's day levels, which is all you can ask from a 3D Sonic game. Without the werehog filler, it should at least be fun to play. It does even look a bit better than Unleashed Wii, gameplay and definitely presentation-wise.

I'm a bit concerned about how obnoxious the story/cutscenes are though. Even the first Sonic Rush had bits where I wanted to headbutt my DS screen.

TimmiT

.la1n said:
You can dress crap up all you want but at the end of the day it's still crap. You can quote me on that too because I know this game will be nothing but.
I played it, and I thought it was pretty damn good.
And every time Sega showed something new, it only made the game look better, not worse.

Andrex said:
I think the gameplay will be fine, as good as Unleashed Wii's day levels, which is all you can ask from a 3D Sonic game. Without the werehog filler, it should at least be fun to play. It does even look a bit better than Unleashed Wii, gameplay and definitely presentation-wise.

I'm a bit concerned about how obnoxious the story/cutscenes are though. Even the first Sonic Rush had bits where I wanted to headbutt my DS screen.
I thought the level design was better than both Unleashed Wii and Xbox 360. There's also more platforming than in Unleashed.
And the game is being written by writers that wrote for Madworld, so I wouldn't worry about the story too much. And if the story is crap, you could always skip the cutscenes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seda said:
This, in my opinion, was the worst part of Unleashed. Far worse than the Werehog levels.

And it's not something they show in demos, either. For all we know there could be 3 hours of cutscenes in this thing that make the opening music seem like
oh blast what's a band kids consider good these days...
Madonna.

ILikeFeet

Banned
TimmiT said:
Oh hi.
A couple of more details:
- You can only use the quickstep when you're told to use the quickstep.
- It looks like it could take some effort to get a S rank. I played through the stages normally, and I got a C or B rank
- Act 1 of Planet Wisp begins on a field of flowers or grass (don't remember which one) and you eventually come across Eggman's machines. I remember there being a grind sequence where you had to switch rails.
- Act 2 takes place on this tower:
sonic-colors-20100817022124256_640w.jpg

And screw the Sonic Cycle, this game is the best Sonic game since the Genesis days.

Also, Sega officially revealed the Green Wisp, with a couple of new screenshots: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/20/sonic-colors-go-green-with-the-green-wisp-in-sonic-colors/

quick step is in! :D but relegating it to certain portions is lame. it's more useful in the 3D sections so you didn't have to tilt the thumbstick

Suzuki Yu

You no longer drift by tilting the nunchuck, you now have to press B to drift. I think the boost was disabled in the parts where you had to drift, but I'm not sure.

i was worried about this but thankfully they have returned back to the unleashed control scheme which was perfect to me ...
but is it optional ? or totally changed ?

regarding the new wisps , i think the pinky one is really cool
at the moment i can't see what is the green one used for (link won't open for me)

Teknoman

Title screen is awesome because it reminds me of Knuckles Chaotix. Also cool nod to classic Sonic (Sonic running by twice before the title screen).

This christmas is going to be insane for platforming (DK, Kirby, Sonic, Castlevania?,Sly collection).

.la1n

ah come on guys you know as well as I do that this happens everytime but if you want to really put yourself out there and back the game go ahead but mark my words it will not be a good sonic game, maybe a fun game, maybe even a good game but nowhere near what we deserve out of Sonic.

Btw - I have played Sonic Colors as well as Sonic 4 so I'm not sure where all your glowing impressions came from unless your under the age of 20, or perhaps they have done some major work since E3.

WillyFive

.la1n said:
ah come on guys you know as well as I do that this happens everytime but if you want to really put yourself out there and back the game go ahead but mark my words it will not be a good sonic game, maybe a fun game, maybe even a good game but nowhere near what we deserve out of Sonic.

Btw - I have played Sonic Colors as well as Sonic 4 so I'm not sure where all your glowing impressions came from unless your under the age of 20, or perhaps they have done some major work since E3.

What red flags popped up?

Teknoman

.la1n said:

Well alot of us are fans from the classic days, and still had fun/felt daytime Unleashed HD stages were what 3d Sonic should be (or close to it anyway). Unleashed was tarnished by the werehog stages. Colors is an expansion/refinement on the good gameplay ideas from Unleashed (I believe they've removed the quicktime events?).

goldenpp72

.la1n said:

i think people that enjoy sonic as a character are mostly ok with him being in a good game at all, even if it isn't like the old ones.

.la1n

Willy105 said:
What red flags popped up?

Mostly no use of physics based gameplay, still didn't feel like you were in full control of Sonic at any given time. Not enough platforming. The transformations are currently just an excuse to skip through parts of a level that would otherwise have required the creators to come up with oh I don't know something resembling creative level design.

As for Sonic 4, It has so many red flags I would take me days to list them all out.

edit: also this could be postive / negative but Sonic Colors contains some small glimmers of old sonic art but then goes and screws it all up with giant doughnuts and cupcakes.

.la1n said:
Yeah. like the older games.

Teknoman

Well it doesnt have to really be like the old ones, as long as it has a Sonic feel to it:
  • Strange cool looking stages
  • Catchy and cool soundtrack
  • Sonic actually looking like...Sonic :lol
  • Simple, direct story
  • Fun to play/do run throughs of levels you've beaten
  • Bright and colorful graphics

If it has all of those, what more could you ask for? Im still undecided, but so far it looks like it'll be fun.

.la1n

SwiftSketcher said:
Yeah. like the older games.

No not like the older games, the older games were a platformer that could stand toe to toe with Super Mario. A 'fun' sonic game is something more along the lines of unleashed where you don't feel like throwing yourself off a bridge after finishing it.

Put it up against Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 and it's laughable at best. If it was the Sega of old then Sonic would be performing equally as well as Galaxy in the fun and level design factor but I think we all have witnessed how that's turned out.

WillyFive

.la1n said:
Mostly no use of physics based gameplay, still didn't feel like you were in full control of Sonic at any given time. Not enough platforming. The transformations are currently just an excuse to skip through parts of a level that would otherwise have required the creators to come up with oh I don't know something resembling creative level design.

edit: also this could be postive / negative but Sonic Colors contains some small glimmers of old sonic art but then goes and screws it all up with giant doughnuts and cupcakes.

So....any red flags in there? At all?

This sounds just like "It's not like the Genesis games so it sucks!" garbage from earlier this year, especially when this game is all about not doing what the Genesis games did. That's what Sonic 4 is for.

The complaints you have noted are not good complaints, it's like saying this is blue when it should be yellow.

And the giant donuts and cupcakes are bad? Isn't that like classic Sonic style right there?

I'm sure there are plenty of things to complain about Sonic Colors, and I have seen some on the videos, but it shows the game might be better than what I hear in here. And it sounds pretty good.

.la1n said:
No not like the older games, the older games were a platformer that could stand toe to toe with Super Mario. A 'fun' sonic game is something more along the lines of unleashed where you don't feel like throwing yourself off a bridge after finishing it.

Put it up against Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 and it's laughable at best. If it was the Sega of old then Sonic would be performing equally as well as Galaxy in the fun and level design factor but I think we all have witnessed how that's turned out.

Mario Galaxy's success is because it's an extremely well made game, extremely polished, made with careful care and delight. Not because it has a lot of platforming. A game can be good without having a lot of jumping.

Sonic has always been about speed, and has gotten faster and faster every game from the original, especially when the limitations of the Genesis kept him slow enough to have the need to add more platforming.

Sonic doesn't have to be Mario. He should be as good as him, but not him.

.la1n

I'm really not trying to come off negative here, I have just never believed in kissing a developers ass for something that should have more effort put into it, especially when it's a key franchise like Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega has ran the blue guy into the ground as far as they can run him and i'll be damned if I give them anymore rope then they need to hang thereselves with.

I even voiced my complaints with the reps on hand for each game and was never give any productive answers. This never happened with any other demo on the floor.

.la1n

Willy105 said:
So....any red flags in there? At all?

This sounds just like "It's not like the Genesis games so it sucks!" garbage from earlier this year, especially when this game is all about not doing what the Genesis games did. That's what Sonic 4 is for.

The complaints you have noted are not good complaints, it's like saying this is blue when it should be yellow.

And the giant donuts and cupcakes are bad? Isn't that like classic Sonic style right there?

I'm sure there are plenty of things to complain about Sonic Colors, and I have seen some on the videos, but it shows the game might be better than what I hear in here. And it sounds pretty good.

Mario Galaxy's success is because it's an extremely well made game, extremely polished, made with careful care and delight. Not because it has a lot of platforming. A game can be good without having a lot of jumping.

Sonic has always been about speed, and has gotten faster and faster every game from the original, especially when the limitations of the Genesis kept him slow enough to have the need to add more platforming.

Sonic doesn't have to be Mario. He should be as good as him, but not him.

must resist urge to quote your tag

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
.la1n said:
No not like the older games, the older games were a platformer that could stand toe to toe with Super Mario.

*snicker* Sure they could, hun.

WillyFive

.la1n said:
I'm really not trying to come off negative here, I have just never believed in kissing a developers ass for something that should have more effort put into it, especially when it's a key franchise like Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega has ran the blue guy into the ground as far as they can run him and i'll be damned if I give them anymore rope then they need to hang thereselves with.

I even voiced my complaints with the reps on hand for each game and was never give any productive answers. This never happened with any other demo on the floor.

Me neither, but this game appears to have more effort and interest giving to it by the developers than any Sonic game in a very long time.

We should be encouraging improvement, otherwise the developers won't know if they are doing anything right or not. If we don't encourage this game, and continue to hate it like we do Sonic 4, then they will just think we will never be pleased and ignore us.

.la1n said:
must resist urge to quote your tag

Why? Am I winning this argument so fast already that you need to use the trump card already?

Sonic has never been about realism. You are contradicting yourself by criticizing the parts that actually were part of the original Sonic games. The urge to be silly and abstract.

.la1n said:

If I'm having fun, and it's Sonic, and the whole package is good, I see no foul play. Now if you're going to handicap your enjoyment of this game for not being the true real sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog 3, this is the wrong game. Direct you're anger toward Sonic 4. This is not trying to be that, and is improving on the Unleashed Daytime formula that's been established for the last few years and everyone knows this. What is this shock and distaste for it including the homing attack or 3d Sonic physics?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
SwiftSketcher said:
If I'm having fun, and it's Sonic, and the whole package is good, I see no foul play. Now if you're going to handicap your enjoyment of this game for not being the true real sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog 3, this is the wrong game. Direct you're anger toward Sonic 4. This is not trying to be that, and is improving on the Unleashed Daytime formula that's been established for the last few years and everyone knows this.
Pretty much. This is Sonic Unleashed 2.0: Day Stages, everyone knows how that plays so I don't know what's the issue here. Those who enjoyed Unleashed or saw potential in it will keep anticipating, those who didn't will most certainly find this to be shitty even if it comes with a free blowjob.

.la1n

I can agree to disagree. Just my personal experience with the games have been bad but if someone else can find enjoyment in it then more power to them. It's not a trump card btw, your tag was well earned.

I will revert simply to what I said before, this game will not be what most Sonic fans are looking for, it simply will not. I am sorry.

WillyFive

.la1n said:
It's not a trump card btw, your tag was well earned.

Oh? Were you there?
Because I wasn't.

Also, I bet there are more Sonic fans out there that would prefer a 3D game over a 2D one, since that's what they grew up with, and/or prefer them for any reason.

Teknoman said:
Well alot of us are fans from the classic days, and still had fun/felt daytime Unleashed HD stages were what 3d Sonic should be (or close to it anyway). Unleashed was tarnished by the werehog stages. Colors is an expansion/refinement on the good gameplay ideas from Unleashed (I believe they've removed the quicktime events?).

Yup this game looks like the best of Unleahsed concentrated into a nice package. I have seen enough gameplay videos to know that it is Unleashed, its the best of Unleashed. Its going to be awesome.

joetachi

Im a bit skeptical but one thing i do like that the wisp seem to offer interesting gameplay mechanics that sort of fit with the old sonic still they remind me of the power ups in the old games.

.la1n

ILikeFeet said:
so you are going to resort to insults just because people don't agree with you? real mature :p

I didn't come up with the insult / tag. You'd have to take that up with the guy that earned it. Also see above where I said we can agree to disagree. I'm not mad because someone doesn't agree with my position on the game. In fact i'm not mad at all with anyone but I do think it's quite funny watching the back and forth with you guys, really thats the only satisfaction I can get from the Sonic brand anymore. With that I kindly exit stage right.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The game looks to be pretty good, maybe even fun in it's own right. But it won't live up to it's full potential, which is a little disheartening.

Physics-based gameplay with tighter controls would be ideal. It's a missed opportunity I will likely hold against the game.

Andrex said:
*snicker* Sure they could, hun.

Sonic on the Genesis destroyed Mario to the point that up until Sega pulled support for the Genesis the console was outselling the SNES two to one. In the early nineties kids were afraid to say they owned a SNES. Sega's marketing was that effective.

Nintendo's competition at the time was Super Mario World versus Sonic 1, 2 and 3K. Sega won the "platformer" battle with three games (Sonic 3K being the flawless victory). You know in the era where a video games console was called a "SEGA" and when people thought a game was shit they would say "looks like a Nintendo game".

Were you alive in the nineties?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's like saying Kane and Lynch is better than Silent Hill: Shattered Memories because it outsold it. Two different things, mang.

joetachi

Leviathan1 said:
Sonic on the Genesis destroyed Mario to the point that up until Sega pulled support for the Genesis the console was outselling the SNES two to one. In the early nineties kids were afraid to say they owned a SNES. Sega's marketing was that effective.

Nintendo's competition at the time was Super Mario World versus Sonic 1, 2 and 3K. Sega won the "platformer" battle with three games (Sonic 3K being the flawless victory). You know in the era where a video games console was called a "SEGA" and when people thought a game was shit they would say "looks like a Nintendo game".

Then why do you sound so mad? Do you still think its the nineties.:lol

farnham

Banned
Leviathan1 said:

is this a weird parallel world scenario were 32x and sega cd didnt happen ?

Andrex said:
That's like saying Kane and Lynch is better than Silent Hill: Shattered Memories because it outsold it. Two different things, mang.
Exactly. Super Mario World outsold Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the superior game.

farnham said:
is this a weird parallel world scenario were 32x and sega cd didnt happen ?
Sega CD wasn't a spectacular flop. Getting 6 million people to buy an expensive, bulky hardware addition with only a couple worthwhile exclusives is pretty impressive.

I think people just lump it in with the 32x because it was a continuation of that theory (that customers would rather upgrade their consoles rather than buy new ones every five years), which bombed like Hindenberg because it literally had no point since they were already releasing the Saturn. At least Sega CD was a cool novelty, 32x just sucked.

Nishastra

Banned
Leviathan1 said:
You know in the era where a video games console was called a "SEGA" and when people thought a game was shit they would say "looks like a Nintendo game".
See, this all depends on where you lived. This might have been true where you were, but it sure as hell wasn't where I was.

At no point did anyone in my hometown stop calling any random videogame a "Nintendo" in the early 90s, nor did anyone use Nintendo as an insult. Everyone I knew had a SNES, almost no one had a Genesis. Absolutely no one I knew ever had a Master System or Saturn. It wasn't until Dreamcast that Sega even really existed where I lived.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The really odd thing to me is how the producers are calling this the "kid's game" and Sonic 4 "the core game".

Sonic Colors has everything to excite the adult "core" fan that they're finally getting a respectable 3D Sonic since Sonic Adventure. Sonic 4 is getting mostly complaints that it looks like a half-hearted attempt to be retro for the sake of being retro, and not because it's a good Genesis-style Sonic game.

At this point I think Sonic Team, even when they do have the right idea, is really confused about their own fanbase. I don't think their comments have been evasive - but honestly /confounded/.

It's like now they think their 40-year-old former kid fans just want to replay the Genesis games recreated exactly and nothing more - "maybe that's it! The old fans just hate everything 3D, and only like 16-bit games."

Given how obsessive and capricious Sonic fans can be, I almost can't blame Sonic Team for being confused.

Still, I wonder how much of the "Sonic Colors is the kids game" talk is an attempt to forestall bitching by the fanbase that it's not exactly like the Genesis games and shift that burden onto Sonic 4. Colors has "hardcore" elements like online leaderboards and looks more like a Mario-style all-ages game, not just something aimed at kids.

Kaijima said:
Still, I wonder how much of the "Sonic Colors is the kids game" talk is an attempt to forestall bitching by the fanbase that it's not exactly like the Genesis games and shift that burden onto Sonic 4. Colors has "hardcore" elements like online leaderboards and looks more like a Mario-style all-ages game, not just something aimed at kids.
But Mario games are for kids. Real adults play Ratchet and Clank, with its sophisticated plots and refined humor.

geeko

Deciding whether you like a game or not made on alpha/beta footage and gameplay always amazes me. It's cool to voice your opinion on a game, but to push that opinion upon everyone else as a fact seems pretentious.

Fuck I just derailed the thread into a 16 bit console war. Fuck it:

Super Mario World (SNES): 96.50% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)
Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN): 90.17% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

You know what dude you're right. Mario was reviewed better than Sonic.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN): 91.88% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

Oh wait. We're getting closer. Looks like Sonic 2 was a little better. Still no Mario though.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (GEN): 97.50% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

Oooh. Ice burn from Ice Cap Zone! Sonic 3 is reviewed better than motherfucking Mario. Why? Because it was a better game (and for the record: combined Sonic > combined Mario in sales in the Genesis/SNES era).

Sonic wins on both fronts! Seriously when Sonic came out shooting round the screen at mach speed Mario looked years out of date. Sonic was a revolution (at the time).

I do appreciate that this depends on location (Sega killed Nintendo in Europe) though I put that down to all you Americans being brainwashed by the shitbomb that was the NES.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well, at least the game looks very good. You can see the steady progression from Secret Rings to Black Knight to Colours (in the visuals department, that is).

It's a shame it retains the Unleashed formula (sans Werehog). As someone who's never been a fan of Sonic, Secret Rings was the Sonic formula I liked. Secret Rings needed better music, better controls, less fat and overall more polish, but the core idea appealed to me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Leviathan1 said:
Fuck I just derailed the thread into a 16 bit console war. Fuck it:

Super Mario World (SNES): 96.50% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)
Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN): 90.17% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

You know what dude you're right. Mario was reviewed better than Sonic.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN): 91.88% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

Oh wait. We're getting closer. Looks like Sonic 2 was a little better. Still no Mario though.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (GEN): 97.50% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

Oooh. Ice burn from Ice Cap Zone! Sonic 3 is reviewed better than motherfucking Mario. Why? Because it was a better game (and for the record: combined Sonic > combined Mario in sales in the Genesis/SNES era).

Sonic wins on both fronts! Seriously when Sonic came out shooting round the screen at mach speed Mario looked years out of date. Sonic was a revolution (at the time).

I do appreciate that this depends on location (Sega killed Nintendo in Europe) though I put that down to all you Americans being brainwashed by the shitbomb that was the NES.

... I am going to file this under "joke post of the month" and move on.

geeko

Did you really bring up that crappy old argument, SIGH. SMW is about exploration, where as Sonic is all about speed. Oh and if were hitting low-blows, It took sonic 3 games to reach the review level of Mario.
SNES FTMFW, btw I'm not serious

joetachi

Leviathan1 said:
you know what else happend in the nineties mario making a good 3d game were you alive in the 90's?

Top Bottom