• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

Brashnir

SalsaShark said:
4702370936_1ea4ff3bcb.jpg

You know this is the best screen.

It's like the perfect embodiment of everything wrong with modern Sonic.

TP

Another trailer without any gameplay
at least there are screens.....which look pretty good

sigh

I want to believe

Salsa

Brashnir said:

I think its the embodiment of the little better/acceptable part on everything that is wrong with modern Sonic.

Wizpig

stilgar said:
Bullshots
?
No, Sonic & The Black Knight has similar in-game graphics.

edit. Someone should GIF that Sonic with Luma moment and compare it to Mario Galaxy 2 when Mario gets a Star or something.

Brashnir said:

Bright colors?

Nice graphics?

Abstract environments?

I'm confused. What modern Sonic games have you been playing? With the exception of Sonic Heroes, they've all taken place in boring realistic environments and before Sonic Unleashed and Black Knight most people were complaining that 3D Sonic still looked like "glorified Dreamcast games".

Unless you're complaining about rail grinding, but that's an awfully silly thing to complain about considering it has propagated out to other platformers with decent results.

Brashnir

Sega1991 said:
Bright colors?

Nice graphics?

Abstract environments?

I'm confused. What modern Sonic games have you been playing? With the exception of Sonic Heroes, they've all taken place in boring realistic environments and before Sonic Unleashed and Black Knight most people were complaining that 3D Sonic still looked like "glorified Dreamcast games".

Unless you're complaining about rail grinding, but that's an awfully silly thing to complain about considering it has propagated out to other platformers with decent results.

It's a non-interactive platforming "element" that exists only for the purpose of taking a screenshot. And what do you know, they took a fucking screenshot of it. And then someone on GAF pointed out what a good screenshot it is.

Modern Sonic games are designed to be looked at, not played. Stop enabling them, people.

As usual, I'll be sure to have my tv mute on until the actual game starts up...should I decide to buy this.

That was as repugnant as "Soooonic Heeroooooooeees".

Brashnir said:
It's a non-interactive platforming "element" that exists only for the purpose of taking a screenshot. And what do you know, they took a fucking screenshot of it.

Modern Sonic games are designed to be looked at, not played.

crystalclear.png

I'd say Sonic Unleashed did a pretty good job of turning the grind rail in to a gameplay mechanic. Yes, yes, it literally puts you "on rails", but as a way to break up the action, is that really so bad? If used properly, it can provide a nice, simple jumping challenge.

Okay, sure, yeah, sometimes it's used as a spectacle moment, but damn, even Mario's got those. As long as it's not overused, using it to show the transition from one area to another seems fine to me. It's no worse than every Super Mario Galaxy slingstar that takes more than 2 seconds to reach its destination.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks really, really good. Of course, so did Black Knight, but at least this has varied Mario-like level concepts to fit it. Cautiously hopeful.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice screens but lol that song, give me back the shitty rock themes.

Why For? said:
Could it be?

A game with only the Unleashed daytime levels? I will hope.
That's what I want too.

BadSanta

Damn these useless trailers.

Apart from this, that looks pretty good. But what about the gameplay? It's hard to tell from screens.

Ikkarus

Looks good but then again this is Sonic so my hopes are on hold until I hear more.

Tip #1: Stay away from the Werehog Sega!

Alpha_eX

I really dislike the art in the DS version, the backgrounds and levels just look dull. It was ok in Rush, poor in Adventure and it's a continuing trend. It's like all the detail is going. It's sad to look at screens from the 16 bit games and the new DS ones.

I might have to give it a miss, will be the first time i've done that for a 2D Sonic game.

Fritz

Oh Jesus, what no one needs, honestly, are trailers without any actual gameplay footage. Is that a new fad or something?

Andrex said:
That's because it's targeting kids. Even still, I'd rather have an easy Sonic game than a hard one because the hard ones are hard for all the wrong reasons.

I was just about to post something just like this.

get_out_of_my_head_charles.jpg

Most of the times before they've added difficulty to the 3D titles by dropping an extra 20 enemies into the room.

Davey Cakes

As I said in the other Sonic Colors thread, you can never trust a Sonic game that merely looks good from media. Black Knight looked utterly fantastic until everyone actually got their hands on it. One of the biggest letdowns ever, especially after the promise shown by the very fun Secret Rings.

I will admit that the kind of variation here and the creative potential are both promising, since Sega is seemingly breaking down barriers like Nintendo did with Super Mario Galaxy, but that's all that can really be said. People have to play Sonic games before they know what they're dealing with.

While I probably would also like too easy instead of too hard, if it's mindlessly easy, that's another story. Part of the reason I found the original Sonic Rush so replayable is because even after you've "mastered" the controls, the game remains pretty intense. Makes time trials and the like super fun.

Eh, we'll see. Their comment on it being too easy seemed to stem from the fact that they S-Ranked both levels on their first try, and that's the sort of thing that can be very easily tweaked later on down the line to be harder.

ILikeFeet

Banned
music is about as bad as Seven Rings In Hand (which was bad). and autotune!? next thing you know, Sonic is delivering chocolate incased aliens from the mobsters of Sweet Mountain

Boondocks reference if you caught Sunday's episode

jman2050

Who cares about whatever inevitable bullshit the Wii version is, the real news is that we're finally getting Sonic Rush 3! For people who liked the first two games, this is welcome news.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Do want!! This is looking good so far. I loved the Sonic levels from Unleashed and if this is more of that, call me excited!! :D

yencid

Why would the sonic title even be posted for this? If you are expecting anything out of it, its your own fault.
EDIT: OH WAIT! :lol

Top Bottom