• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

jman2050

_dementia said:
maybe they're just tired of the mechanic after exhausting it in sonic 3?

Wait what? You mean the gravity mechanic that was used in exactly one act in one level in the entire game?

Gah, screw it.
I'm interested.
The previews have said there's basically no story, and no awful hub, it's basically all pure platforming.

whitehawk

Banned
SalsaShark said:
4702370936_1ea4ff3bcb.jpg

You know this is the best screen.
That's a 3D stage.

Vanille

The level design looks great. They've finally moved away from the crappy realistic settings and just went all out with craziness. Could actually be pretty good... maybe.

Brashnir said:
It's like the perfect embodiment of everything wrong with modern Sonic.

Oh, lemme guess. You're one of the people who think 3d Sonic = SHIT NO CHANCE OF BEING GOOD I HATE YOU SEGA!!!

Right?

It's funny. Sega manages to dissappoint when it comes to gameplay but in terms of graphics, the Sonic games have been excellent, on the Wii and on the HD consoles

ILikeFeet

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
It's funny. Sega manages to dissappoint when it comes to gameplay but in terms of graphics, the Sonic games have been excellent, on the Wii and on the HD consoles

and music (though this theme seems to suck). do we know who is doing the music for Colors?

Good grief at the music

"TAKE MY HAND WE ARE GOING TO REACH THE STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRS"

or some shit like that, HORRIBLE

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
....................godamnit Sega, godamnit. This is how Sonic Unleashed started as well. Please....please, I beg of you stop ripping at my heart like this

jman2050 said:
Wait what? You mean the gravity mechanic that was used in exactly one act in one level in the entire game?
qft. I always wondered why they never used it again, because the gravity mechanic in Death Egg was fun. There was a lot of milage to be gotten out of that, I thought, and they never revisited it really. (The final level of Sonic Rush touches on it)

The_Technomancer said:
qft. I always wondered why they never used it again, because the gravity mechanic in Death Egg was fun. There was a lot of milage to be gotten out of that, I thought, and they never revisited it really. (The final level of Sonic Rush touches on it)
They used it in Sonic Adventure 2, in Crazy Gadget.

There were also spherical levels in one of Rouge's levels.

Sciz

ILikeFeet said:
and music (though this theme seems to suck). do we know who is doing the music for Colors?
Not explicitly, but I'm betting Tomoya Ohtani ('06, Unleashed, Rush Adventure) is the sound director. Senoue did the audio for Sonic 4, and we already know Crush 40 is doing stuff for Sonic 2011, so he's probably the sound director for that too.

edit: and you can probably blame the lyrics on these Cash Cash schmucks too; Senoue is the only composer on staff who writes his own, presumably with the help of Johnny Gioeli.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Salazar said:
:lol

"The sky with stars so bright
The colours feel so right
I've never felt like this
I'll keep on running.

"Rollin' around at the speed of sound
got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow!"

A classic in the making.

Einbroch

Banned
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't mind that song in the trailer. Would never listen to it outside of it, but it's not terrible. There have been far, far worse.

jman2050

The_Technomancer said:

Fun fact! If you enable debug mode in S3K, pressing A lets you switch gravity at will in any level. It's a fun distraction now and again.

And of course, rom hackers think of everything sooooooo...

ILikeFeet

Banned
Sciz said:
Not explicitly, but I'm betting Tomoya Ohtani ('06, Unleashed, Rush Adventure) is the sound director. Senoue did the audio for Sonic 4, and we already know Crush 40 is doing stuff for Sonic 2011, so he's probably the sound director for that too.

edit: and you can probably blame the lyrics on these Cash Cash schmucks too; Senoue is the only composer on staff who writes his own, presumably with the help of Johnny Gioeli.
I hope so, Unleashed's soundtrack was great.

As I said in the other thread, aiming to be like Unleashed but without the Werehog is not exactly a good thing considering that Unleashed's daytime parts had tons of problems not the least of which being that playing the game "right" was tantamount to holding down the boost win button and occasionally triggering whatever stupid QTE they threw your way, a point cemented by the fact that Sonic's physics were completely broken which made the game stupidly hard to control in the rare times you had to do more than hold forward/right and hit the jump/slide button. Maybe they're fixing that and trying to find a good bridge between old-style physics and platforming and new-style Sonic-runs-fast gameplay, but considering the last time they tried to do that we got Sonic 2k6's high-speed sections (oh, and their idea of a classic Sonic game is the homing attack-laden recyclethon Sonic 4), I have a sinking feeling this game will be awful.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Well, I had fun with Unleashed despite its issues so if Colors plays exactly like the day stages played or better it is a good thing for me (I don't even want them to try to mix old-style Sonic with new-style). But yeah, anyone who disliked Unleashed shouldn't really have hope for this one.

MechaX

Sega can barely even get a 2D Sonic right these days and you're excited about another 3D Sonic, GAF? I'd be more dismissive over the Sonic Cycle if it didn't.. you know, actually happen before every Sonic game release.

MechaX said:
Sega can barely even get a 2D Sonic right these days and you're excited about another 3D Sonic, GAF? I'd be more dismissive over the Sonic Cycle if it didn't.. you know, actually happen before every Sonic game release.

Here's the deal: I liked Sonic Unleashed. I shouldn't even have to say it at this point. It had a few problems, sure, but as far as 3D Sonic games have gone, Sonic Unleashed was a big step forward in the right direction, and I tolerated the low points enough to really enjoy the highs.

Judging by the Gametrailers video? Sonic Colors looks a lot like Sonic Unleashed, minus the bits that were really annoying in that game. The addition of the wisp system also looks pretty cool, unlike most other gameplay additions Sonic usually gets.

Sonic Unleashed - Werehog + Cool Power-up System = Anticipation.

But that doesn't mean I don't expect somebody at Sega or Sonic Team to mess something up, either. That's definitely something we're going to have to wait and see about. But this video right here? As a person who enjoyed Sonic Unleashed, it is a game I want to play.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
MechaX said:
Doesn't the cycle assume disappointment in the game you were anticipating? I had almost no expectations in Unleashed, it turned out fun to me and now this game seems to be more of the parts I liked. Like Sega1991 said, there were people who enjoyed Unleashed no matter how shittastic "GAF" thought it was. Sonic sucks, whatever, I'm usually more amused by the those who always go into these topics and go "wtf are you all on drugs, how can you want more of this shit, stop making these threads, let it die Sega". :lol

I'm not even what you would call a Sonic fan by this forum's standards (I haven't played most of the old and new games) and it's a little annoying to be thrown in a pool of delusional furries just because you enjoy a game with faults but what can I do.

Shacknews has a preview for this..

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64450

Forget about ridiculous werehogs and stupid twin-tailed foxes. Sonic goes back to basic in a game that's all about him, running fast, collecting items, beating up baddies, and using new powers.

Sega showed off two levels in the demo: Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain. Both are amusement parks that have been collected by the dastardly Dr. Eggman. For questionable (and probably evil) reasons, Eggman is collecting various worlds to create the universe's most diverse amusement park. Populating the parks are wisps, various colored creatures that can grant Sonic special powers. Together with the wisps, Sonic must free each world.

The two levels combined the 3D gameplay of Sonic Unleashed with the 2D gameplay of the classic Sonic games. The game will be half 3D and half 2D, though some levels will feature more of one than the other. As expected, there was plenty of high-speed running, coin collecting, and enemy bashing. I saw how two of the wisps -- cyan and yellow -- added to the gameplay. Cyan allows Sonic to use a laser, which is great for blasting through foes and creating a ricochet effect to get out of tight spaces. Yellow allows Sonic to drill through the ground, allowing him to reach hidden areas and take shortcuts.

As Sonic gains new powers through different colored wisps, he can revisit previously conquered levels and reach new areas in them. This gives the game some replay value and adds to its exploration element. The powers can be strung together for added bonuses. Even though I only got to see two new powers, it was easy to see how they add great twists to the classic platform gameplay.

..fuck it. I'm interested.

Top Bottom