• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Green Hill Gameplay

BigEmil

This is more easy on the eyes and can better focus on parts less busy looking than Sonic Generations.

Looks pretty good at 60fps also seems like camera taken back much more so can see more on screen too higher FOV which is nice

Ivan 3414

Checking the footage now, but please Sega, give Green Hill a break after this game.'

Edit: Music is giving me a Sonic 4 vibe...not good.

Aki-at

His sudden stop after jumping is going to bother me to no end.

Level design and enemy design seemed a bit bland too. Not really feeling the music either.

His acceleration is pretty fast which might feel good but it looks weird. His jump attack isn't right, the music is bad, and the level looks bland.
:/

Guess Who

Banned
I would've hoped, after the past few years of Taxman and co. working with Sega, that Sonic Team might've picked up some ideas on how to do "classic Sonic" physics correctly. Guess not.

I don't get it.. I like this a lot but wasn't Sonic Forces suppose to be another Sonic Adventure or is it going to be like Sonic Generations?

Looks... not great. Sonic moves very stop-and-go, with no momentum to his speed changes half the time, and in part of it he literally clips through a platform before it has fallen. Not a great look for the first real gameplay of Forces... I was hoping with the gap between games and with Mania they would have figured out how to make classic Sonic feel good, but it's not looking promising.

Not to mention the weird abundance of invisible springs just popping up. Why?

killroy87

Level design looks like someone created it with an in-game level editor. It just...doesn't look well designed. I can't put my finger on it, but a lot of the geometry just looks randomly placed, and it looks like it's constantly trying to slow your momentum with raised platforms.

Yeah, that didn't look right. It looked a bit amateurish, and slow.

But that windy grass effect, amirite?

Sciz

Looks... alright?

The terrain's too flat, the physics look more or less unchanged from Generations, and the music sounds like a leftover Runners theme, but the overall structure of the level design actually looks to be a decent job of recreating the original's style.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is more easy on the eyes and can better focus on parts less busy looking than Sonic Generations.

Looks pretty good at 60fps also seems like camera taken back much more so can see more on screen too

I agree
I like these classic scenarios

Looks like shields in monitors are returning
unknown.png
Also, why are the invisible springs from Lost World returning?
Sonic could've easilly made that jump but the game decided to put a spring there, and it's not even like you can use it to move along smoothly, your speed stops dead in its tracks when you touch the thing

jman2050

Why are there springs underneath the short lips of raised level terrain at the end of straight-aways?

Does Sega think people don't know how to jump?

ghibli99

Level design looks like someone created it with an in-game level editor. It just...doesn't look well designed. I can't put my finger on it, but a lot of the geometry just looks randomly placed, and it looks like it's constantly trying to slow your momentum with raised platforms.

Yeah, that didn't look right. It looked a bit amateurish, and slow.

But that windy grass effect, amirite?
This has often been one of the things I've struggled with when it comes to Sonic games. Do they want me zooming through it? Or do they want me to take my time to explore? The time limit would lead me to believe that I should hurry. But all the hidden items and rings suggest something different. It's what has kept me from truly loving this series, even though I have enjoyed what I have played (all of the 16-bit games, SA1, and bits and pieces of everything since then).

Stopdoor

I just don't get it, it's a bit hard to tell if you can condemn it without playing it, but this is really the best they could do after trumpeting extra years of development, focus on quality, and a team from the best recent Sonic games? It's just so ho-hum, they haven't even really put out a glitzy trailer to try to sell it better.

AW YEAH GREEN HILL I AM ..so... TIRED OF GREEN HILL

THEY HAVE SO MANY HILLS THEY CAN USE INSTEAD LIKE EMERALD OR PUMPKIN BUT NOOOO THEY DO GREN HILL AGAIN!

Whatever. Looks okay. That music isn't great but maybe we're spoiled on Mania's superb soundtrack.

Shouldn't Sonic be bouncing off of enemies he jumps into? It looks like he's just ramming through them.

Sonic's getting too fat nowadays, this might be the reason he ends up going on a diet later.
jk

Seriously tho, this looks super un-floaty. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing since, you know, I haven't played it yet, but it's definitely way different than Generations. Are the physics closer or even farther away from the classic games. Regardless, Sonic has the Drop Dash from Sonic Mania in this (although, chances are the Mania developers got to see Sonic Team's work on Forces before starting Mania and decided to use the Drop Dash because they liked it or some kind of version of similar events), which is nice.

I'll leave level design analysis to others, but as far as visuals and music: the engine looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing other stages, the visuals of this stage are nice but fairly safe (it is GHZ after all), and the music is inoffensively decent. Not blown away by anything yet, but I feel like this is supposed to be a super short tutorial stage that leads into the opening cutscene, so I'm hoping the other stages are going to be amazing.

LordKano

Physics looks better than Sonic 4 & Generations. Even though you obviously need to play to know for sure, but it seems there's not that awful slow start-up and low gravity jumps that completely poisoned classics zones in Generations.

Level-Design looks, well, like you would expect from Green Hill Zone.

Cautiously optimistic for now.

OnPoint

I mean it looks fine? Really depends on how it feels to play. Also, in most bad Sonics, Green Hill or the equivalent opening area is usually the best zone before things fall to shit. So, a lot riding against me being optimistic here.

And if I'm being totally honest? Visually it's like a good fan-made Unity project. But it also looks kinda boring.

Ristifer

Ugh. As a big Sonic fan, this just looks disappointing. I like how it looks visually, as it's simpler than Generations' GHZ, but everything else is just iffy. The boost pads in odd places, the lack of actual platforming, no momentum at all... blah.

I just need Mania at this point. It's checking all the boxes, and then some.

Robin64

Green Hill again? When it first reappeared in Sonic Adventure 2, it was a mindblowing treat. Then as time has gone on and it's been used over and over.. and over..

It's time for Emerald Hill.

There's nothing pleasant about this. Movement looks stiff, and even less natural than Generations classic gameplay.

I'm so grateful for Sonic Mania.

Berordn

Art in general looks like a cross between Generations and Lost World.

...which actually isn't a bad thing, since Generations could look really busy and confusing if you weren't playing in 3D.

Kinda feel that some of the background elements like the multiple tiers of grassy ledges are edging a bit too close into looking like playable ground level.
Otherwise it looks like a pretty safe Sonic stage, not much else to say about it, there's hints of some alternative paths and all but it looks a fair bit straightforward.

Music was underwhelming I gotta admit.

Ash735

Jun Senoue
6925-1349945830.gif

Seriously, his "Classic" style was bad before, but when you compare it to Sonic Mania with Tee Lopes doing the music there, it just sounds extra bad.

Top Bottom