• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

BradleyLove said:
Apologies if this has been asked before and I'm not trying to troll.

Just tried the demo on my PS3 and woah... what is with the framerate? It legitimately hurts my eyes. It's so juddery and harsh. I mean, the original Sonics from the MegaDrive Collection don't have this effect.

What gives? Is the PS3 version simply really poor? I should clarify I'm talking about the 2D classic mode by the way.

My wait for a decent new Sonic game continues :-(

Framerate on the 360 is solid locked at exactly 30fps for almost the entire demo. I know this, because my capture card is a cheap $15 "easycap" that maxes out at 30fps, and with the right settings in Dscaler, a game running at exactly 30.0fps or exactly 60.0fps does not need to be de-interlaced.

Sonic Generations is one of those games. The only time the framerate dips below 30 is when:

- Water splashes everywhere after you emerge from the cave with the big fish on your tail
- When you smash the bridge for the shortcut near the end of Modern GHZ

And in both of those cases, the framerate dip is for less than a second.

Obviously I can't speak for the PS3 version but I'd assume it's probably pretty similar.

ezodagrom

wrowa said:
Oh, I missed that there's a PC version after all. Are there already impressions whether or not it's a good port?
Nope, most likely we'll have to wait for the release of the game (November 4) to see how well it runs.
What we know about the PC version:
- it is a Steamworks game (and so supports Steam Achievements, Leaderboards and Cloud Saving).
- the port is apparently being handled by the same company that ported Virtua Tennis 4 to the PC (if the developer listed in the Steam page is accurate).

ShadiWulf

Sega1991 said:
Framerate on the 360 is solid locked at exactly 30fps for almost the entire demo. I know this, because my capture card is a cheap $15 "easycap" that maxes out at 30fps, and with the right settings in Dscaler, a game running at exactly 30.0fps or exactly 60.0fps does not need to be de-interlaced.

Sonic Generations is one of those games. The only time the framerate dips below 30 is when:

- Water splashes everywhere after you emerge from the cave with the big fish on your tail
- When you smash the bridge for the shortcut near the end of Modern GHZ

And in both of those cases, the framerate dip is for less than a second.

Obviously I can't speak for the PS3 version but I'd assume it's probably pretty similar.
Yeah, that's pretty much how the PS3 version is. Except I think the bridge smashing is a more noticeable frame rate impact on the PS3 versoin.

Blueblur1

Nuclear Muffin said:
Classic Sonic's physics are a bit better but they're still nothing like the original.

Why the hell do you lose speed when rolling down a hill!? Makes no goddamn sense! You still have plenty of physics cheats and invisible nudges as well at certain points as well, and the gravity is far too strong, with no variable height bouncing.

This is not Mega Drive Sonic. It may be better than anything Sega have done since the MD days, but it's still not even close. A shame.

The level design is not bad though, based on what I've seen and played (I played Classic City Escape at Eurogamer Expo)

Modern Sonic is a non factor for me. It may be better than what has come before (I noticed how there are a lot more branching paths than before and it's nowhere near as glitchy) but it's still boring as hell to play.
I like this post.

No more Floaty Classic Sonic!!!

Just played the demo! Its super tight and feels perfect!

I played the first demo and I was at sonic boom, classic was a little floaty then.

Wait.... Are you guys serious in the post above me?

tumblr_lmm2lzil531qafrh6.gif

Sciz

Obsessed said:
Is there any specific reason the PC version is so much cheaper?
Sonic games have never launched at the console MSRP on PC, as far as I can remember. They aren't usually day-and-date releases either, though.

Presumably they just don't think a PC platformer would move any units at full price. It's either that or they're actually passing on the savings of digital distribution to the consumer out of the goodness of their hearts.

TheOGB

Banned
dark10x said:
In fact just about EVERY PC port from a Sega game like this has been rather lousy. I can't think of a single positive example.
Heroes, Riders, and [the original 2004 port of] SADX were all pretty good, definitely not "terrible".

Nuclear Muffin said:
Why the hell do you lose speed when rolling down a hill!? Makes no goddamn sense! You still have plenty of physics cheats and invisible nudges as well at certain points as well, and the gravity is far too strong, with no variable height bouncing.

vlcsnap22348343zc8.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Obsessed said:
Is there any specific reason the PC version is so much cheaper?
Ether Sega has decided that it is cheaper to just skip the first price drop then actually advertise the PC version of the game, or the quality is going to suck.

TheOGB

Banned
Jesus H. Christ

dat grinding boost animation

I'll say this, watching that made me feel like a kid again, in the sense that I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) have imagined Sonic looking like this more than once.

This is what I was seeing.
TimmiT said:
But this is what I was imagining.
Obviously not that exactly, but you get what I'm trying to say, yes?

Nert

I never felt compelled to play Unleashed, but that video reminds me of how much time I spent watching speed runs of it.

TheOGB said:
Jesus H. Christ

dat grinding boost animation

I'll say this, watching that made me feel like a kid again, in the sense that I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) have imagined Sonic looking like this more than once.

This is what I was seeing.

But this is what I was imagining.
Obviously not that exactly, but you get what I'm trying to say, yes?

You had some cool drugs as a kid

My best in Modern is 1:49.56, but that record is insane, I'll see if I can get any closer to that, and I'm loving how much enjoyment I'm getting out of this little demo, Oh the joy this game will bring me :D

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh yeah, 1stkirbyever is a freaking boss when it comes to speedrunning the modern sonic games. His records on Sonic Unleashed are ridiculous.

Modern Sonic has an incredibly steep and short learning curve. You are either bad or great, and once you get to be great there isn't really anywhere to go.

WillyFive

TheCongressman1 said:
Modern Sonic has an incredibly steep and short learning curve. You are either bad or great, and once you get to be great there isn't really anywhere to go.

What do you mean? And how is it different from Classic Sonic?

TheOGB

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
so it'd look like this:

/

Would have bought in a second if it ran at 60FPS. A game that moves this fast should not be running at 30FPS, it's fucking horrible.

The original Sonic games in the Mega Drive collection don't have this effect because they run at 60FPS.

Zen

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Would have bought in a second if it ran at 60FPS. A game that moves this fast should not be running at 30FPS, it's fucking horrible.

The original Sonic games in the Mega Drive collection don't have this effect because they run at 60FPS.

PC version bro, and just think of all the things that the Sonic Fan community will do to it.

Man, watching Modern Sonic Speed runs are freaking exhilarating. Feel like I just got off a roller coaster.

The spin drift looks awesome in this! Could someone explain the drift controls for the playstation controller to me? I haven't played the demo yet (and can't play anything till winter break :(
How do you drift?

ShadiWulf

SwiftSketcher said:
Man, watching Modern Sonic Speed runs are freaking exhilarating. Feel like I just got off a roller coaster.

The spin drift looks awesome in this! Could someone explain the drift controls for the playstation controller to me? I haven't played the demo yet (and can't play anything till winter break :(
How do you drift?
hold either L2 or R2 to drift, i end up holding them both a lot, but I don't think it matters which one.

Zen said:
PC version bro, and just think of all the things that the Sonic Fan community will do to it.
yeah well for that i'd have to buy a pc capable of running it at 60FPS... not in the cards for me right now.

ShadiWulf said:
hold either L2 or R2 to drift, i end up holding them both a lot, but I don't think it matters which one.
Wow that sounds a lot easier than Unleashed, which I could never really get the hang of. (was drifting controlled the same in Unleashed? can't remember). I liked how they handled it in Colors though.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Yeah I think I'll have to memorize everything before I ever play a stage that well.
Can't this apply to most speed run attempts? I mean, you pretty much have to have all the steps and paths you're going to take memorized to attempt a speedrun in any game.

nns3d

Just finished my run with the demo. Classic Sonic was alright, it felt a lot better than the June demo. Modern Sonic was awesome, I'm glad that I didn't spoil myself to too much footage. Overall I like what I played, can't wait for this to come out in November!

ShadiWulf

SwiftSketcher said:
Wow that sounds a lot easier than Unleashed, which I could never really get the hang of. (was drifting controlled the same in Unleashed? can't remember). I liked how they handled it in Colors though.

It's MUCH easier to drift in Sonic Generations then it is in Sonic Unleashed! XD It feels SO natural and AWESOME to pull off. I'm not lying when I say that. It's just a great feeling.

Is there still a chance for 60fps? The demo had a message saying it wasn't indicative of final quality.
PC Version. If you wanna see what the Hedgehog Engine is like at 60 FPS on consoles go buy Sonic Unleashed PS3.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Is there still a chance for 60fps? The demo had a message saying it wasn't indicative of final quality.
haha people always point to that when a demo runs at a bad frame rate saying it won't be like that in the final release just a few months later.

then it releases and still runs at a bad framerate.

The PC version of this game will be the only good one IMO.

Top Bottom