• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Will wait to see what the 3DS is like, but it'll be a busy winter for the 3DS as it is. Great OP though, actually has me hyped for Sonic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Foov said:
So is the demo up on North America PSN? Cause I can't seem to find it.
It's up on EU PSN and should be up on JPSN as well (I haven't checked).

US PSN is not going to get it until the 25th.

Azure J

SwiftSketcher said:
Pfft the Sonic CD intro was a boost-fest hold right to win. Fail Iizuka.

Perhaps I should have said the closest modern equivalent. Either way, I just really love what I see. Modern is beginning to shape up nicely after finding a direction for itself in Unleashed and the team playing with actual level design in Colors.

Sciz

polyh3dron said:
haha people always point to that when a demo runs at a bad frame rate saying it won't be like that in the final release just a few months later.

then it releases and still runs at a bad framerate.
Except for how the framerate has actually improved between the first demo and now. The game has always been targeted at 30 fps, and they seem to have nailed that.

ShadiWulf

EDIT: Regarding the framerate yeah, if you watch the promotional video they got bundled with the demo(it plays when you idle on the title screen) you can see how bad the framerate was before in the older builds. It's quite a difference. I never noticed it back then, but yeah after seeing the fixed version it's very noticable.

So apparently there is a Sonic Generations commercial that is appearing on MTV now according to a member of the SEGA Forums. If anyone here watches MTV, if you could record the commercial and put it up on youtube that would be great!

Teknoman

polyh3dron said:
haha people always point to that when a demo runs at a bad frame rate saying it won't be like that in the final release just a few months later.

then it releases and still runs at a bad framerate.

The PC version of this game will be the only good one IMO.

It doesnt run at a bad framerate if it was supposed to run at 30 fps from the start. Both versions of green hill run at 30fps with no noticeable drops, so i'd say thats not a problem. 60 fps would be nice, and PC version should be definitive regardless, but Sonic running at 30 fps locked really isnt a problem.

Electivirus said:

wtf i had no idea you could boost and slide at the same time!

nns3d

ShadiWulf said:
EDIT: Regarding the framerate yeah, if you watch the promotional video they got bundled with the demo(it plays when you idle on the title screen) you can see how bad the framerate was before in the older builds. It's quite a difference. I never noticed it back then, but yeah after seeing the fixed version it's very noticable.

So apparently there is a Sonic Generations commercial that is appearing on MTV now according to a member of the SEGA Forums. If anyone here watches MTV, if you could record the commercial and put it up on youtube that would be great!

I don't have a YT link but I was able to catch the commercial during Jersey Shore, it caught me off guard at first lol. Commercial was pretty cool, though I think it just compiled footage from the MD/DC/Modern Trailers.

0 HP

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Did you like Sonic 4 better than this? It seems like this is going to be the best they'll do and is much better than previous offerings. It'll never go back to the way things were where it was a slower paced game that focuses more on level design instead of it focusing on speed (which it does to a lesser with the "classic" levels but also much faster than any of the classic sonic games ever were). I can't see it ever having that focus on level design like the genesis era games had. Did you watch the video from the other thread with sky sanctuary? That was more faithful than green hill was IMO.

Sky Sanctuary is pretty much what sold me on the game.
i (probably will) like them both the same i guess. i didn't mind the homing attack or the music in sonic 4 and i don't really care about the fan service in generations so they'll probably equal out in the end. i saw green hill, sky sanctuary, and seaside hill in their entirety...good but not great.

ShadiWulf

Teknoman said:
It doesnt run at a bad framerate if it was supposed to run at 30 fps from the start. Both versions of green hill run at 30fps with no noticeable drops, so i'd say thats not a problem. 60 fps would be nice, and PC version should be definitive regardless, but Sonic running at 30 fps locked really isnt a problem.

wtf i had no idea you could boost and slide at the same time!
it requires an extra finger, but you can do it.

polyh3dron said:
Would have bought in a second if it ran at 60FPS. A game that moves this fast should not be running at 30FPS, it's fucking horrible.

The original Sonic games in the Mega Drive collection don't have this effect because they run at 60FPS.

But... the game is designed to run at 30fps. I'm with you to a certain extent - with my 30fps capture card, there are literally some games that are ten times more difficult to play on it because they move way too fast. F-Zero GX, Burnout Paradise, etc. Those are games that rely on 60fps because they were designed specifically for that framerate. Anything lower and you simply cannot react.

But... I just don't have that problem with Sonic Generations, man. The game was designed for 30. All the enemies, all the obstacles, the entire level was designed around the idea that you would be playing the game at 30fps. It's not a 60fps game forced to a lower framerate. It is a 30fps game and always has been.

There's no way Sonic Generations would look half as good as it does graphically if they had to bump it up to 60. We're talking about the difference between this and this in terms of visual fidelity. And I'd most certainly take 30fps in that regard.

Teknoman

Really its just like Vanquish. The game was designed for 30fps, and well...moves REALLY fast as far as third person action games go.

Mistle

I haven't played the demo- what's with the spindash drifting thing that guy does?

Regardless, the game looks fantastic. I really hope the PC version runs smoothly.

Mistle said:
I haven't played the demo- what's with the spindash drifting thing that guy does?

Regardless, the game looks fantastic. I really hope the PC version runs smoothly.

Nothing, really. They just replaced the "motorcycle drift" style animation with one where he spindashes around corners now.

I don't really like it, personally. Of all the places to reference something like that, that seems like the least logical.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Miri said:
It's stuff like this that forces me to question the 'it plays itself' comments.
Cause it DOESN'T play itself. At least Generations doesn't I can't speak for the others as i never played them. I highly doubt they do though :p It's just people go through it so smoothly and know the lay outs it just looks that way. I mean watch any speed run for a game and half the time it looks non challenging or takes no effort.

Blueblur1

Sega1991 said:
Nothing, really. They just replaced the "motorcycle drift" style animation with one where he spindashes around corners now.

I don't really like it, personally. Of all the places to reference something like that, that seems like the least logical.
I wholeheartedly agree.

ShadiWulf said:
It's also a much tighter feeling drift, it's not loose feeling like the one in Colors and Unleashed.
Yeah, it's much tighter. I could never really effectively use the drift in either of those games but it's fluid and simple to manage in the Generations demo.

Teknoman

What I really like about Generations is that I can finally control this:

iAYjK20qI1dNS.gif

iEz4MPHR5ccOc.gif

Oh man the Nakamura demos are online now?!

"Spring Yard"

"Oil Ocean" Everyone needs to listen to this one.

These better be accessible in Generations o_o

Actually, if the modders* for the PC version can recreate other classic stages from Sonic 1/2 using Generations, they should definitely use Nakamura's demos as themes.

*I have no idea how far the modders can go/want to go once Generations PC hits.

Huh, that's weird.

Load up the Generations demo, start Classic Sonic's level and pay attention to the depth of field effect in the background. The faster you move, the more blurry the depth of field in the background becomes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yuzoboy has been getting some work done already. He sped up the demo version of Mystic Cave Zone and it sounds pretty good. He has a few other videos, I think, but I liked the Mystic Cave one the best.

You can hear Star Light Zone's hi-hats and bass drum clearer in the demo version.

Death Egg Zone also sounds cool.

Man, I can't wait to get my copy and see if there are any liner notes in there. :O

Zen

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Huh, that's weird.

Load up the Generations demo, start Classic Sonic's level and pay attention to the depth of field effect in the background. The faster you move, the more blurry the depth of field in the background becomes.

Maybe it's to make it easier on the eye to focus on the foreground?

I have to say that the game could be improved even further if they increased the boost consumption rate by 2x-3x and slowed Modern Sonic down a tad. The levels in the demo shines much brighter if you take your time, but if he hold down boost, it can be quite dull and linear.

Issues with classic Sonic:

- The Spin Dash rev is still very over powered, and the different levels of power are near indistinguishable unless you do the smallest possible re and go nowhere. It needs to be powered down as a whole and given distinct progression of power the longer it's held down.
- Sonic still slows down in rolling form.
- Springs still magnetize Sonic for the first few seconds.
- Bounce height is still static.
- Is it my imagination or is it impossible for Sonic to stay in a ball if he shoots into the air from a half pipe or what have you?

*All of these issues will be fixed with the PC version and the Sonic community, I'm sure. I wonder how far people will be able to break the game open.

Teknoman

grap3fruitman said:
Tried the demo and lost all interest in this.

What killed it for you?

Zen said:
Maybe it's to make it easier on the eye to focus on the foreground?

I have to say that the game could be improved even further if they increased the boost consumption rate by 2x-3x and slowed Modern Sonic down a tad. The levels in the demo shines much brighter if you take your time, but if he hold down boost, it can be quite dull and linear.

Issues with classic Sonic:

- The Spin Dash rev is still very over powered, and the different levels of power are near indistinguishable unless you do the smallest possible re and go nowhere. It needs to be powered down as a whole and given distinct progression of power the longer it's held down.
- Sonic still slows down in rolling form.
- Springs still magnetize Sonic for the first few seconds.
- Bounce height is still static.
- Is it my imagination or is it impossible for Sonic to stay in a ball if he shoots into the air from a half pipe or what have you?

*All of these issues will be fixed with the PC version and the Sonic community, I'm sure. I wonder how far people will be able to break the game open.

I'm thinking boost wont be as plentiful in the full version. I mean it hardly drained here and you're supposed to be rewarded with it for busting badniks/doing tricks. But yeah, alot of the first small tweaks will probably be whatever that one guy did for the XBL demo version 1 by changing a few values.

Temp avatar change time.

EDIT: Man am I glad Sonic doesnt go WHOO or GO everytime he uses boost now. Messing around in Colors and replaying the demo, then watching an old youtube Unleashed run of mine really cemented that.

ShadiWulf

Teknoman said:
What killed it for you?

I'm thinking boost wont be as plentiful in the full version. I mean it hardly drained here and you're supposed to be rewarded with it for busting badniks/doing tricks. But yeah, alot of the first small tweaks will probably be whatever that one guy did for the XBL demo version 1 by changing a few values.
Maybe...

I think GHZ would be pretty boring if it drained your boost even faster. Yeah the first time through you don't want to boost, but because of the lack of platforming that's what you want to do once you get better at the level. That won't be a problem for later levels through from what I've seen / heard =) I think that GHZ and maybe Chemical Plant will be the only so called "Boost to Win" zones. Putting that in quotes because it's not true, but it's a good way to describe levels like GHZ.

Teknoman

I never liked boosting 24/7 so even on "boost to win" stages i'll probably just do it when I need to/for style purposes :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6zydPGbNQ&feature=autoplay&list=PLA62DBD4CAF425DB3&playnext=1

I know I link this all the time, but this is just to show others that most of the time its best to just boost when necessary (unless you're doing some insane speed run).

I really dont have that much of a problem with it though, since you'd probably miss out on better shortcuts/ red rings if you used boost all the time on most stages. I'm thinking that the sections with the most variation in them will have red rings centered around the area, especially that one rail to wall jump section.

EDIT: Also really glad about the removal of QTEs permanently, and using the trick system of Rush/Colors, but with a little more added to it.

Throavium

I don't like when you're basically forced to boost. Sonic should be fast enough that holding the forward button long enough will make him run fast as a boost without boosting.

I don't like when in Classic Sonic, when you're running very fast, and you hold the down button while running, he'll go into a ball but then he'll slow down. In the Megadrive days, if you hold the down button while running, Sonic's speed would almost double and the camera could barely keep up with you. I know everyone knows this, but on the Megadrive, Sonic was a lot bigger compared to the stage, and in Sonic Generations Sonic looks very small.

Other than that I really like this game, and I can't wait to play other zones except for the first one. Everything else about this game flushes out what I said above mostly, which was basically mentioned for the sake of discussion.

ShadiWulf

Teknoman said:
I never liked boosting 24/7 so even on "boost to win" stages i'll probably just do it when I need to/for style purposes :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6zydPGbNQ&feature=autoplay&list=PLA62DBD4CAF425DB3&playnext=1

I know I link this all the time, but this is just to show others that most of the time its best to just boost when necessary (unless you're doing some insane speed run).

I really dont have that much of a problem with it though, since you'd probably miss out on better shortcuts/ red rings if you used boost all the time on most stages. I'm thinking that the sections with the most variation in them will have red rings centered around the area, especially that one rail to wall jump section.

EDIT: Also really glad about the removal of QTEs permanently, and using the trick system of Rush/Colors, but with a little more added to it.
Yeah I'm not completely against not boosting or anything, in fact I fully recommend it when it's your first time going through a level. It's just that repeatedly going through the level without boosting would get boring fast. The level is made so you want to boost.

Everything is so long. This isn't like Colors where everything is small scale, this is more like Unleashed where everything is huge and takes forever to get through without boosting, well at least Green Hill Zone is. I know that City Escape isn't.

But yeah, GHZ is pretty much encouraging you to boost through it, and it's a GREAT feeling when you can pull it off and reach the upper paths with ease because you know what you are doing. Like in that one speed run video that posted earlier.

From my Demo impressions I posted a while ago in this topic: "If you try to boost through the whole level you just end up screwing yourself over in a way that really slows you down. You can't boost to win unless you know what you are doing."

So yeah, sorry if I sounded like I was against not boosting. Just wanted to make my stance more clear.

Teknoman

Throavium said:
I don't like when you're basically forced to boost. Sonic should be fast enough that holding the forward button long enough will make him run fast as a boost without boosting.

I don't like when in Classic Sonic, when you're running very fast, and you hold the down button while running, he'll go into a ball but then he'll slow down. In the Megadrive days, if you hold the down button while running, Sonic's speed would almost double and the camera could barely keep up with you. I know everyone knows this, but on the Megadrive, Sonic was a lot bigger compared to the stage, and in Sonic Generations Sonic looks very small.

Other than that I really like this game, and I can't wait to play other zones except for the first one. Everything else about this game flushes out what I said above mostly, which was basically mentioned for the sake of discussion.

You dont need a boost except to hit certain ramps (like in the old days with a spin dash/barreling down a hill after pressing down), to break walls, outrun an obstacle, or knock out enemies in your way. When Sonic hits max normal running speed, its pretty fast. As for rolling with classic, thats a complaint everyone shares.

ShadiWulf said:
Yeah I'm not completely against not boosting or anything, in fact I fully recommend it when it's your first time going through a level. It's just that repeatedly going through the level without boosting would get boring fast. The level is made so you want to boost.

Everything is so long. This isn't like Colors where everything is small scale, this is more like Unleashed where everything is huge and takes forever to get through without boosting, well at least Green Hill Zone is. I know that City Escape isn't.

But yeah, GHZ is pretty much encouraging you to boost through it, and it's a GREAT feeling when you can pull it off and reach the upper paths with ease because you know what you are doing. Like in that one speed run video that posted earlier.

From my Demo impressions I posted a while ago in this topic: "If you try to boost through the whole level you just end up screwing yourself over in a way that really slows you down. You can't boost to win unless you know what you are doing."

So yeah, sorry if I sounded like I was against not boosting. Just wanted to make my stance more clear.

Nah, I get where you're coming from. It's just like when people try to throw the "hold right to win" argument. Knowing what you're doing while boosting is probably close to spindashing through stages in Sonic 2. One thing i'll say I dont like about boosting is the sound barrier effect that happens on the HD titles. I dont think Colors had that (or at least its not as noticeable)?

ShadiWulf

Teknoman said:
You dont need a boost except to hit certain ramps (like in the old days with a spin dash/barreling down a hill after pressing down), to break walls, outrun an obstacle, or knock out enemies in your way. When Sonic hits max normal running speed, its pretty fast. As for rolling with classic, thats a complaint everyone shares.

Nah, I get where you're coming from. One thing i'll say I dont like about boosting is the sound barrier effect that happens on the HD titles. I dont think Colors had that (or at least its not as noticeable)?

Colors still has the noise when boosting, but yeah I think it's more noticeable in the HD games for some reason.

Anyways, for those who haven't seen City Escape, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc2RMHir8nU

Boosting to win in this level is either a death wish or crashing into a wall =) and from what I've heard City Escape is hardly anything compared to modern Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill.

ShadiWulf

JonCha said:
Huh, so
Time Eater
is some kind of machine? Certainly not a cloud lol.
Looks like a monster to me. Machines don't look like that. but i guess we will see.

Iizuka refers to the TIME EATER as a "life form" but then again, what does iizuka know? XP

EDIT: FULL PIC OF TIME EATER, Pretty sure it's a monster now XD
http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicGenerations/white/character/image/chara_04.png

EDIT 2: Sky sanctuary screens, won't embed them all cause they are spoilers, kinda wish I didn't see them XD

stage_03_01.jpg

http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicGenerations/white/stage/image/stage_03_02.jpg
http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicGenerations/white/stage/image/stage_03_03.jpg
http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicGenerations/white/stage/image/stage_03_04.jpg
http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicGenerations/white/stage/image/stage_03_05.jpg
http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicGenerations/white/stage/image/stage_03_06.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If SEGA updated the White Time and Space site, that means they probably updated the Blue Adventure site as well.

Edit: Absolutely! The "story" section was added to both the White and Blue sites, but we already know the story (plus I don't think people want to see pics of Sonic's friends, nor do they want to see stills from the beginning of the game, do they?). Both Time Eater and Silver were added to the characters section (I assume this is also the case with White Time and Space (Generations HD)).

The description for the Time Eater reads as:
Suddenly a mysterious monster appeared! It created a magical vortex, and teleported Tails beyond the dimensions.

I assume no one cares about Silver so I won't translate that.

Emerald Coast has been added to the Stages section. Pics? Pics.

Level Hub Area: http://i.imgur.com/x4w3h.png (pic ended up being too big, so I linked it)

T2AGr.jpg
Tyyll.jpg

vXlPU.jpg
zVQFz.jpg

V6xKy.jpg
qxHHu.jpg

Only two more stages to be revealed for the 3DS version!

===========================================
Edit: I decided to update the post with the stills on the story page for Sonic Generations HD's opening cinematic (I presume). I won't translate the text, though.

http://i.imgur.com/y8mH5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/so2ap.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UQPLU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RiNIP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tLYa6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WvejO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UTDN9.jpg (Time Eater)
http://i.imgur.com/zhj9w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XZ6pQ.jpg (more Time Eater)
http://i.imgur.com/W1lsy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZP7lG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rISNT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q0rxr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Xn5yN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xNJ9G.jpg

Time Eater looks like a cross between the stay puft marshmellow man and Donnie Darko. Is that definitely the official name for the monster then, Time Eater??

wouwie

I love platform games but never played Sonic back in the days. So playing the demo was my first Sonic game experience (played the demo on ps3).

It felt like being on a rollercoaster ride. Which is good and not good. I like the level design a lot but the game is so fast that i often have the impression that the game plays itself. It's so fast that half of the time, i don't know what i'm doing or where i should be going.

So i was wondering: is this something that needs "getting used to". Are you experienced Sonic players feeling "in full control" of what's going on at all times? Is the main purpose of the game to go as fast as possible. Or is there a way of playing the game in a bit slower pace?

Other than that, enjoyed the demo. Looks fun and joyful.

Top Bottom