• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

ShadiWulf

Greektown said:
hey guys i have played both the 360 and ps3 versions of the demo side by side.
1. the PS3 version is a bit pale while the 360s colours are richer.
2. when looking close at sonics model, the ps3 version seems to have much less jaggies and sonic looks cleaner. the 360 version is more crisp but this leads to rougher edges as they are not "smoothed" out.
3. The framerate of the 360 is more constant and stays at 30 fps. the PS3 version is almost identical but maybe a bit more of a slowdown in some areas like breaking the bridge compared to the 360s slowdown.

I am actually very surprised how similar these two versions are. But the main thing I've noticed is how much more CGI/smoother sonics model is when looking close to the monitor. Man I dont know what system to get it for. I also like 360s controller better for it though.
Go with whatever you want. It sounds like the 360 version would be best for you because you like it's controller better, but if you'd rather Sonic looks smoother, then go for the PS3 version. I think you'll be happy regardless of which version you go with =)

If I had to choose between saving Amy, Silver and Rouge or a plate of delicious chili dogs, I would save the chili dogs.

This isn't really relevant to anything, I just wanted to get that out in the open.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Professor Beef said:
If I had to choose between saving Amy, Silver and Rouge or a plate of delicious chili dogs, I would save the chili dogs.

This isn't really relevant to anything, I just wanted to get that out in the open.

I wouldn't even need the chili dogs, I'd save the plate alone over Amy, Silver, Rouge and Shadow, as the plate would actually be useful

JonCha

Combichristoffersen said:
I wouldn't even need the chili dogs, I'd save the plate alone over Amy, Silver, Rouge and Shadow, as the plate would actually be useful

Hey, enough of the hate. We're all here for one reason and one reason only.

vulva said:
this doesn't really seem like it deserves a full thread or anything, but felt compelled to post this.

I was at an EB Games today and casually asked about the release date on Generations since I couldn't remember it. The conversation went down like this:

Clerk: Same day as Uncharted 3
Me: When's that?
C: Ah, I guess you don't like full games. Nov 1.
M: Wait, Sonic Generations isn't a full game?
C: Well a full experience. Story, different gameplay, cinematics.
M: Oh, I guess cinematic gameplay just isn't for me. I'm not huge on cutscenes.
C: Even then, the gameplay in Uncharted 2 was amazing.
M: I guess it was well done. I just don't really like shooting, it's a bit repetitive for me I guess.
C: How can you like Sonic and say you don't like repetitive things.
M: I guess it's just a different opinion and different preferences.
C: Yeah, I guess I just go for more creative games (to be fair, he didn't say this in a condescending tone. He seemed just... serious)

at that point I just left.

what

Some game store staff are totally clueless. I remember in 1999 a store clerk talking to me, asking how I managed to get my dreamcast working online because he couldn't do it.

When I got a replacement Xbox 360 in 2009 I was asking for the jasper unit which was (at the time) the least likely to red ring and had just started appearing, the guy had NO IDEA what I was talking about. In the end he brought a unit out and I had to confirm it myself by checking the power brick rating lol

JonCha said:
Damn right!

ylWbM.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
JonCha said:

To talk about how awful Sonic's friends are compared to chili dogs? :3

But yeah, back to chili dogs

BTW, I've never actually eaten chili dogs. What do you need to make chili dogs?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I dont get why they never kept amy's design from sonic shuffle.

it's almost the same as adventure 1 and such but ahem... modified a bit.

Oh and shuffle > mario party

Afrocentric-Asian said:
_56208782_sonic.jpg

Was this posted?

Jesus, how can anybody prefer the modern designs after seeing all these pics?

SEGA need to pretend the whole modern redesign never happened and just take it back.

Scullibundo said:

SEGA need to pretend the whole modern redesign never happened and just take it back.
Sometimes I can't tell if people confuse their hate of modern gameplay for their hate of modern Sonic's design, because the modern design we have now has come a long way from the lanky overly long spined sonic we had six year ago. Or were they just so scarred by 06, they refuse to acknowledge any improvements made to his design at all?

This same thought occurred to me when a friend of mine walked by while I was looking at this thread's OP.

He stared at the two Sonics, first asking "why are there two?"
Me: "Well, one is Classic sonic and the other is the newer Sonic"
Him: "oh." *stares a little longer* "they look.. pretty the same.. except one is taller? and less blue?.. hmm"

His reaction kind of surprised me, but it got me thinking that they aren't so far apart from one another that the difference is night and day to people. Classic is cuter and super appealing, but it doesn't make the other an abortion IMO.

I dunno, I guess hearing over exaggerations of how awful Modern Sonic's design is to them seem kind of unfounded, especially when everything short of leg/spine length and eye color are pretty much the same. It's not like we're getting a difference like this:
03-Bugs-Bunny.jpg

Or even worse: Your reaction seems more suited to a redesign like:
mega-man-20111019042331856-000.jpg

sonicgenerations_17767.nphd.jpg

Keep'em both I say!

loosus

Banned
For the 3DS version, why didn't they go crazy and do something unexpected? Like use sprites circa mid 1990s and no 3D at all. I think that would've covered just about all the bases, with the console versions as they are.

Instead, we got another fucking grind fest from Dimps.

Zen

Banned
QisTopTier said:
I dont get why they never kept amy's design from sonic shuffle.

it's almost the same as adventure 1 and such but ahem... modified a bit.

Oh and shuffle > mario party

Well you just have to post it now, don't you. Thi thread was always going to end up this way.

Greektown said:
2. when looking close at sonics model, the ps3 version seems to have much less jaggies and sonic looks cleaner. the 360 version is more crisp but this leads to rougher edges as they are not "smoothed" out.
3. The framerate of the 360 is more constant and stays at 30 fps. the PS3 version is almost identical but maybe a bit more of a slowdown in some areas like breaking the bridge compared to the 360s slowdown.

I am actually very surprised how similar these two versions are. But the main thing I've noticed is how much more CGI/smoother sonics model is when looking close to the monitor. Man I dont know what system to get it for. I also like 360s controller better for it though.

Do we know what resolution both games are running at? It seems sub HD to me on both, not that I blame hem when you consider the amount of stuff they're drawing on screen.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
loosus said:
For the 3DS version, why didn't they go crazy and do something unexpected? Like use sprites circa mid 1990s and no 3D at all. I think that would've covered just about all the bases, with the console versions as they are.

Instead, we got another fucking grind fest from Dimps.

The problem with Dimps' portable games is that most of them have tell tale signs of being very low budget, which isn't Dimps' fault. I feel only Sonic Advance 2 really felt like it was given a reasonable budget and dev cycle, and it showed; everything from art direction to boss design was more creative and polished.

As for the Sonic design controversy... I have to agree it is dramatically overblown. I feel what folks really dislike is the aura modern Sonic has due to the plot and awful cut scenes he has suffered through in most games.

But Modern-ish Sonic is in Sonic Colors too, and there's nothing offensive about him at all there.

From a character design standpoint, there's so little difference between retro and modern Sonic it is not even funny. They're the same darn character, one is just taller than the other.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Zen said:
Well you just have to post it now, don't you. Thi thread was always going to end up this way.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Anyways I think I played the demo for about 5 hours now... kinda wish I had a wii for colors and didn't skip out on unleashed now. Oh well generations is like a week away :D

Also I have no issues with the modern sonic design it just looks like an older version of sonic.

Angry Fork

terrible title. Why wasn't the "yo dawg I heard you like Sonic" chosen? Definitely the best one.

Anyway I'm hyped for this I want it on PC but I'm waiting to see how horrible of a port it is.

-PXG-

Scullibundo said:

Because there is an entire generation of kids and coked out fanatics who actually like the modern shit.

inb4 I should take off my rose tinted glasses.

Kaijima said:
The problem with Dimps' portable games is that most of them have tell tale signs of being very low budget, which isn't Dimps' fault. I feel only Sonic Advance 2 really felt like it was given a reasonable budget and dev cycle, and it showed; everything from art direction to boss design was more creative and polished.
wut

I agree with you on everything else though. Said in the other thread DIMPS' games always seem to go from hit to miss with each new one so a low budget and quick change over rate would likely be the culprit. The classic design's obviously far better but at the same time the modern design at this point is literally just slightly taller, slightly spinier and green eyes. Think it comes down to animations but even then Sonic looked great in Brawl partially because Nintendo/SORA mixed in a ton of his old animations with the newer model (which S4 botched up pretty terribly).

qq more

My only main issues with Modern Sonic's design is the ANIME EXTREME-ish direction it took, that and his god damn douchebag face half of the times.

Other than that, I don't care too much, just as long as his games are enjoyable. (See: Sonic Colors)

SykoTech

Finally got to play the demo. Classic Sonic handles way better now that he doesn't jump like a rock. Much more enjoyable than the previous demo.

Too bad Sonic Team still doesn't understand Sonic should go faster when spin dashing down an incline, not slower. Y'know, like a ball rolling down a hill? This isn't rocket science, it's like Physics 101. And they have to be aware after the amount of times people have complained about it. Why they can't fix something as simple as this I'll never understand.

Quite pleased with Modern Sonic though. He doesn't feel all slippery when moving at a slower pace like in Unleashed and Colors. Should go well with the heavy 3D platforming that's supposedly in the later levels.

ShadiWulf

was playing the demo some more(PS3), and experimenting with the dpad cause the analogue stick alone just wasnt doing it for me.

dpad works great for the 2D sections, tricks, and drifting
analogue stick is fine for the 3D sections, its just too loose for the other things, IMO.

Greektown said:
that's probably because the light and color defaut setting are different on each console .. ( you can see that in various games ..and it can be corrected ) ..that has nothing to do with the game itself

Ranger X

How does it work anyways? Is it that you can play the whole in a certain style (old school or new) or it's like a pack of 2 games? Or is it a game where you aren't deciding and it shifts from a style to another?

TimmiT said:

Snoopin' on my Twitter, I see

Combichristoffersen said:
So that's how Sonic gets his speed, he uses his chili dog farts to propel himself forward

Sonic__s_Helpful_Hedgehog_Facts_by_Buml0r.jpg

Sonic's Helpful Hedgehog Facts by Buml0r said:
I learned recently, from a person who owns a hedgehog, that hedgehogs' lavatorial habits are limited to the times when they are running. Further, they require a large running wheel with a bucket underneath it for this very purpose. So, from that, I think it's safe to assume that the primary reason for a hedgehog ever to run is to defacate - they needn't run for defence, since they can curl up into a nigh-on impenetrable ball of spines, and I think they eat worms or something so we're not looking at one of the world's sprinter-hunters.

Hedgehogs run because it is how they poo. That is why they run. If a hedgehog is seen to be running, chances are, it is pooing.

ShadiWulf

Ranger X said:
How does it work anyways? Is it that you can play the whole in a certain style (old school or new) or it's like a pack of 2 games? Or is it a game where you aren't deciding and it shifts from a style to another?

You can play it however you want, but you'll need to play both Sonic's if you want to see the ending ;)

I think I remember hearing you need 1 mission per zone to move on from an era. so you could play classic and 1 mission for example if that's all you really want to do, but you'll be missing out on tons of the game :p

^info taken from a video interview

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Got 56 seconds and well no clue wtf the millaseconds was with classic sonic today.

Can't WAIT for this game. I should try to reduce that. Oh and modern sonic is harder at least going by the first zone. Way more stuff to him.

The fact classic sonics spindash button STOPS HIM MID RUN is fucking broken as fuck for speed running soon as you loose top speed you just press it and BAM you are at max again.

Lopson

Neo Member
Two questions:

1. How did he smash through that bridge;
2. How does he do all those air combos?

Also, that was a sick run through.

Top Bottom