• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Review Thread [Embargo Ends: Oct. 18th, 4:00 AM EDT]

The Boat

I don't believe so no.

I enjoyed 95% of the game thoroughly.

Pretty much every game is flawed, but I don't want to enter a semantics discussion here. Personal opinion about the game aside, it has some pretty obvious and objective flaws that I don't understand how someone can overlook them.

Nevertheless, good for you that you enjoyed the game, that's all that matters.

RomanceDawn

I've been on Pokemon so hard lately I forgot all about this. Going to download it and give it go despite giving up on both colors and unleashed after a few levels.

Zafir

Pretty much every game is flawed, but I don't want to enter a semantics discussion here. Personal opinion about the game aside, it has some pretty obvious and objective flaws that I don't understand how someone can overlook them.

Nevertheless, good for you that you enjoyed the game, that's all that matters.
Probably because you confuse objective and subjective.

What I see as objective flaws? The game not telling you the controls, bits of the level design in the last two worlds, side scroll flying controls.

As for every game being flawed, that's hardly true. The term flawed suggests the game is fundamentally bad. Which most games are not. I mean that's part of the reason why the majority of games are in the 6-10 scoring bracket. It's because very few games released today are awful, the big named publishers won't release them if they are...

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention them removing the lives from 100 rings, that was a stupid move.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Probably because you confuse objective and subjective.

What I see as objective flaws? The game not telling you the controls, bits of the level design in the last two worlds, side scroll flying controls.

As for every game being flawed, that's hardly true. The term flawed suggests the game is fundamentally bad. Which most games are not. I mean that's part of the reason why the majority of games are in the 6-10 scoring bracket. It's because very few games released today are awful, the big named publishers won't release them if they are...

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention them removing the lives from 100 rings, that was a stupid move.

Bolded is not true. Flaw doesn't automatically equal bad. It depends on the size or recurrence of the flaw. Flaws simply refer to things that could be improved upon. A gameplay mechanic can be amazing and still have room for improvement.

If a flaw is huge or happens a lot to the point of detriment, then yes it's a bad flaw.

Zafir

Bolded is not true. Flaw doesn't automatically equal bad. It depends on the size or recurrence of the flaw. Flaws simply refer to things that could be improved upon. A gameplay mechanic can be amazing and still have room for improvement.

If a flaw is huge or happens a lot to the point of detriment, then yes it's a bad flaw.
Then it isn't a flaw. A flaw is a weakness, or a fault, which in turn is bad. The level of severity can be different, sure, but to suggest a flaw isn't bad is rather silly.

Alas this is an argument of semantics though.

RurouniZel

Then it isn't a flaw. A flaw is a weakness, or a fault, which in turn is bad. The level of severity can be different, sure, but to suggest a flaw isn't bad is rather silly.

Alas this is an argument of semantics though.

The term you're looking for then isn't "flaw", but "fundamentally flawed"

Amazing things can have flaws here and there. Fundamentally flawed is when the entire thing is broken.

An argument can be solidly built, but with a few flaws that could be improved.

Or an argument can be fundamentally flawed, in which case the entire argument is poorly constructed or built from a false premise.

Zafir

The term you're looking for then isn't "flaw", but "fundamentally flawed"

Amazing things can have flaws here and there. Fundamentally flawed is when the entire thing is broken.

An argument can be solidly built, but with a few flaws that could be improved.

Or an argument can be fundamentally flawed, in which case the entire argument is poorly constructed of built from a false premise.
No, I'm not, you're just arguing a battle of semantics still.

Yes, amazing things can have flaws here and there, but those flaws here and there are still bad. Does it make the entire thing bad? No, of course not, but the flaws individually are still bad. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue this. Flaws are inherently a bad thing, that's why they're flaws. They wouldn't be called flaws if they weren't an bad/an issue.

Flawed, on the other hand, means the object contain(s) flaw(s) on a fundamental level. Which as I already mentioned, I don't believe the majority of games are flawed. They contain flaws, sure, but they aren't flawed.

RurouniZel

No, I'm not, you're just arguing a battle of semantics still.

Yes, amazing things can have flaws here and there, but those flaws here and there are still bad. Does it make the entire thing bad? No, of course not, but the flaws individually are still bad. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue this. Flaws are inherently a bad thing, that's why they're flaws. They wouldn't be called flaws if they weren't an bad/an issue.

Flawed, on the other hand, means the object contain(s) flaw(s) on a fundamental level. Which as I already mentioned, I don't believe the majority of games are flawed. They contain flaws, sure, but they aren't flawed.

I guess I disagree, because flaws being bad is subjective. Sometimes what is seen as a flaw by some are a selling point for others.

For example, Onimusha had a bug where the player could keep enemies juggled in the air perpetually. Now this was a bug, and considered a flaw, but it proved to be so popular among players Capcom built an entire franchise around it (Devil May Cry)

Zafir

I guess I disagree, because flaws being bad is subjective. Sometimes what is seen as a flaw by some are a selling point for others.

For example, Onimusha had a bug where the player could keep enemies juggled in the air perpetually. Now this was a bug, and considered a flaw, but it proved to be so popular among players Capcom built an entire franchise around it (Devil May Cry)
Well, yeah I agree that whether something is a flaw, is subjective. What's an issue for one person, isn't necessarily an issue for another.

R0ckman

I agree. :3 *high five*

So if the homing attack spazzes out and causes you to fly off the stage that isn't a flaw thats objective? When I played Skyrim and the town glitched out so bad I fell through the ground, thats not objective? It may not be a big deal to some players but its not intended and that to even quote a blue buddy is "no good!"

A lot of problems with new Sonic games is that they are not polished, it may not be a factor to some people but its still a negative.

RurouniZel

So if the homing attack spazzes out and causes you to fly off the stage that isn't a flaw thats objective? When I played Skyrim and the town glitched out so bad I fell through the ground, thats not objective? It may not be a big deal to some players but its not intended and that to even quote a blue buddy is "no good!"

A lot of problems with new Sonic games is that they are not polished, it may not be a factor to some people but its still a negative.

Those are pretty well known examples so yes, I'm fine with those being considered flaws. Though this could be dramatically improved by not have homing as a method of crossing a pit.

Zafir

Does this actually happen? (If so, is it on a particular stage?). I'm halfway through world 3 and haven't had any problems with it yet.
I'm not sure, I don't think I remember having it happen either. Overshooting on a wall jump I've done, though that was more down to the poor design of the
Lava Mountain Act 4 end
boss.

krumble

I'm going to reiterate this once again... now that I've put several hours more into the Wii U version

The 3DS did the perfect job of teaching me the controls and how and when to use them.
IT walks you through each part and helps you get to grips with it

The WiiU version doesn't do this - even by the end of the time I'd moved onto the sand world there was nothing really very helpful on all the different moves.

Maybe because they made them too unobtrusive - flashing up that you need to press the gamepad to view the help - but the WiiU has suffered because these reviewers haven't grasped the controls

And as for the size and complexity of the various routes through the levels - it's only with exploration you will get all the Red stars and see some really amazing parts of the levels that you didn't even existed by just trying to beat the stages

I'm loving both versions and not having any control issues at all or issues that reviewers had

so i listened to the IGN podcast that covers their view on sonic lost world review. i dont get the criticisms of IGN (they gave it a 5.8)

they dont think that the platforming mechanics is thaat bad (actually they say its pretty good in comparison to other platformers like LBP)
they dont think that the level design is horrible (they make a point about in a platformer the character should be a cog in a working machine but then they kinda confirm that sonic most of the time feels like that)

i think they are realizing themselves (without saying it of course) that they have been way too harsh on this one after listening to the podcast.

Sipheren

Banned
After reading all the reviews I almost didn't get this, but I decided to grab it Friday and so far I am loving it.

It looks great, the speed is perfect and it's lots of fun. Not really sure why there was so much hate from the review sites.

Subaru

What happens when you lose all your lives? (since everybody is complaining that Sonic doesn't have so many lives...)

I've played the first level and I loved it. But the time ran out LOL hahahaha
That's something that can be really annoying, since we have/want to explore the stage. It's strange.

Loved the pace, the graphics, framerate, music, etc.

What happens when you lose all your lives? (since everybody is complaining that Sonic doesn't have so many lives...)

Game over and you're kicked back to the map is all, but lives are much harder to come by than ... most of the games in the series actually, and there are some really ridiculously cheap deaths.

Subaru

Game over and you're kicked back to the map is all, but lives are much harder to come by than ... most of the games in the series actually, and there are some really ridiculously cheap deaths.

The stages are so long that it's diffcult to finish them?
Megaman works like that too.

WillyFive

This game is fantastic, especially most of the gameplay and level design. I love how although its slow at first, you learn to speed through them once you know the routes. Makes it really fun.

My review for the Wii U version is up, if anyone's interested (we got our review copy a little late).

Spoilers: I liked it, gave it 4/5. (Would probably have given it a a 3.5 if we allowed half-stars, but it was closer to a 4 than a 3 in my opinion.) I quite enjoyed it, and took the time to actually learn and get good at the same. It's not necessarily as good as Generations, but it does its own thing quite well.

Not really. Mega Man levels are short. They just appear to be long because they're difficult.

This isn't strictly true. Mega Man 1, 2, and 9 have shorter levels, but the rest of the games' levels are quite a bit longer, difficulty notwithstanding.

Subaru

Well, if lives are a problem, why don't you just grind it? =P
Desert Ruins 2 is REALLY easy to get some lives, since the last checkpoint you can restart just before getting 4 lives (and you can die 1 sec later). It's really fast to get some 50 lives =P

Top Bottom