• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Wii U Exclusive

SEGA just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Sonic Lost World for the Wii U, nor will they purchase any of SEGA's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but SEGA has alienated an entire market with this move.

SEGA, publicly apologize and make Sonic Lost World multi-platform or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Into

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Sonic Lost World for the Wii U, nor will they purchase any of SEGA's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but SEGA has alienated an entire market with this move.

SEGA, publicly apologize and make Sonic Lost World multi-platform or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Hehe, well done!

iunderstoodthatreference.jpg

StayDead

I really want to do a good response to this but no matter what I think about, all I can quantify into words is:

wat

Tsunamo

Oh god, it's Bayonetta 2 all over again.

Perfect.

Wolfie5

Where was this meme orignally from? I forgot

Saty

So you're against exclusivity in general? I can get behind that.

The one that is brought by moneyhatting a 3rd party to switch a game to an exclusive, yes. Same as i'm against the time-exclusive DLC Microsoft signs. If these types of deals would cease to exist, it would cut much of the 'bullshit' that's associated with Console Wars.

Skyzard

Banned
You base this statement on what exactly?

Was Sonic Adventure not a "standard Sonic platformer?

Yeah, that's what I meant (and said) generations is traditional/classic sonic. Adventure is an adventure game... I'm basing it on the name 'Lost World' and that it's Nintendo exclusive.

Jackano

Because the japanese public still want Sonic?
At this point, only the US market still care a little about Sonic...

also

Banned
I hope they're stepping away from the Unleashed/Colors/Gens formula, two years of development since Gens should be a sign of a change, if it was a similar game they could've had it for launch or right now in Spring ala Secret Rings.

I want an Adventure-style game with real platforming, and add Chao Gardens while you're at it.

I do appreciate the obviously varied environments; you have a Forest, Ice, Lava, Desert, and Water/Island levels as shown on the planet.

Colors' levels were just minor variations on Space, I know the whole game took place in space, but they could've had planets based on said tropes.

And Gens was just "Rehash: The Game". XD Only Time Eater was unique and people hated it on PS360 (on 3DS it was better received seemingly). I'm all for remade levels, but as bonuses ala Green Hill Zone in SA2, but A WHOLE GAME?! :/

Oh and no CG cutscenes, did they really over-do the budget that they couldn't spare it? They didn't even keep the CG trailer as the intro did they? They did for Colors.

So it looks like so far it's in the right direction, I hope we do indeed get a teaser of sorts on Monday (where is this from?!), a trailer ala Colors would work fine, get to hear the theme song and see some environments.

Um, they had differently themed planets and they weren't just minor variatons on the space theme:
Tropical Resort; amusement park
Sweet Mountain; candy theme
Planet Wisp; nature being built over
Starlight Carnival; spaceships
Aquarium Park; underwater, Asian theme
Asteroid Coaster; outer space, creepy lab
+Sonic Simulator; retro theme

Did we play a different game?

A lot of the Sonic love came back with Sonic Generations, Especially by the PC community. Is normal that people are disappointed.

Is the PC community large or just vocal? How did the PC version of Generations sell?

There's 'good' and 'bad' practices to make your platform appealing. Paying a 3rd party to switch a MP game to exclusive falls under the latter for me.

As far as this Sonic game, it's stands to reason if would have been MP. The last Sonic games were, and i don' think Sega or any other 3rd party is clamoring to make Wii U exclusives considering its sales. Why is there a need for an agreement if the games were going to be exclusives anyhow?

Were they? Since Lost Worlds is a platformer, let's only count platformers from this console/handheld generation:
Sonic Rush exclusive
Sonic 2006 MP
Sonic and the Secret Rings exclusive
Sonic Rush Adventure exclusive
Sonic Unleashed MP
Sonic and the Black Knight exclusive
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 MP
Sonic Colors exclusive
Sonic Generations MP

I see a whole lot of (Nintendo) exclusive tittles in that list.

Zornica

Banned
The one that is brought by moneyhatting a 3rd party to switch a game to an exclusive, yes. Same as i'm against the time-exclusive DLC Microsoft signs. If these types of deals would cease to exist, it would cut much of the 'bullshit' that's associated with Console Wars.

sry, but WHERE has it ever been stated that this was originally a multiplatform release?
just because generations was, that doesn't mean anything.
there are even reports in this thread that it may have been offered exclusively to sony at one point (no confirmation on that either).

sounds to me like you'r just pissed because it won't come to your plattform of choice and need that multiplattform bullcrap to cover your bias (like many others).

IrishNinja

27315716.jpg

you know, the sonic fanbase gets treated 1000% better than any other sega fanbase - statues, books, guaranteed games every gen, comics, etc.

and in return, they make new shitty friends for sonic, indulge furry/fanfic stuff and do things like this

27315716.jpg

you know, the sonic fanbase gets treated 1000% better than any other sega fanbase - statues, books, guaranteed games every gen, comics, etc.

and in return, they make new shitty friends for sonic, indulge furry/fanfic stuff and do things like this

I didn't know that was the majority of the Sonic fanbase, who knew?

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with anything, but I always found it weird: Sonic being on Sony and Microsoft consoles. They just seem like video game companies of a different era, I mean... They aren't video game companies. Sega and Nintendo are the old guard and even though they were once their greatest enemies they were far closer in ideas than these newfangled upstart consoles. Well, that's just my silly perception so I'll shut up now.

Saty

sry, but WHERE has it ever been stated that this was originally a multiplatform release?
just because generations was, that doesn't mean anything.
there are even reports in this thread that it may have been offered exclusively to sony at one point (no confirmation on that either).

sounds to me like you'r just pissed because it won't come to your plattform of choice and need that multiplattform bullcrap to cover your bias (like many others).

It wasn't stated but common sense points that it would have been. Generations was MP and the last Racing games were. Wii U sales are terrible so it's even less likely a publisher will choose to make an exclusive by its own. There being 3 exclusives sounds more as something that would be an outcome of a negotiation rather than Sega internally and independently saying 'let's make 3 wii u exclusive games'. There's also the question of why needing an agreement if the games were already exclusives.

So all that points that Lost World would have been MP w\o such agreement. And so far there's nothing said to dispel that notion. I would be happy to retract what i said if Sega will say otherwise.

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with anything, but I always found it weird: Sonic being on Sony and Microsoft consoles. They just seem like video game companies of a different era, I mean... They aren't video game companies. Sega and Nintendo are the old guard and even though they were once their greatest enemies they were far closer in ideas than these newfangled upstart consoles. Well, that's just my silly perception so I'll shut up now.

I like to think that the old ideals are still alive and well at SEGA, just suffocated by Sammy's mismanagement of the company.

So what makes you say that Lost World is any less "mainline" than any possible ps4/xbox3 game?

Because it was pretty much the case this generation - Wii got the 'spin-offs' while the other two got all of their mainline releases ('06, Unleashed, Generations).

To clarify, I think the Wii games (Rings, Black Knight, Colours) were spin-offs due to their rather experimental gameplay, whereas the '06, Unleashed & Generations featured the standard core gameplay one would expect from the 3D Sonic title (with the exception of half of Unleashed, obviously). Not sure you would define it the same way, but I still think there is a "Sonic Adventure 3" or something to that effect in the pipeline for Gen 8 consoles and PC.

Was there ever any explaination as to why Generations wasn't released on Wii? I'm under the impression that it's due to the hardware.

Because it's on a Nintendo platform, and Nintendo games aren't *real* games, silly!

I don't think like that at all and I don't understand why somebody would.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Although the posting of the Sonic Cycle did get a little obnoxious, it doesn't compare to the even worse "CYCLE BROKEN NURR NURR" responses because Sonic Colours was an average passable game and not broken terrible shit like thats some sort of achievement the fanbase's collective heart swells with pride over.

I wonder how much money changed hands here because theres a very real chance the Sonic WiiU sales are going to be a fucking disaster, and Sonics always been on DS and 3DS anyway. Classic Sega step as well really.

Dang0

Because it was pretty much the case this generation - Wii got the 'spin-offs' while the other two got all of their mainline releases ('06, Unleashed, Generations).

To clarify, I think the Wii games (Rings, Black Knight, Colours) were spin-offs due to their rather experimental gameplay, whereas the '06, Unleashed & Generations featured the standard core gameplay one would expect from the 3D Sonic title (with the exception of half of Unleashed, obviously). Not sure you would define it the same way, but I still think there is a "Sonic Adventure 3" or something to that effect in the pipeline for Gen 8 consoles and PC.

Was there ever any explaination as to why Generations wasn't released on Wii? I'm under the impression that it's due to the hardware.

So your saying that the Wii Sonic games weren't mainline games because they...innovated? That's the strangest arguement I've heard in a long time. Is Zelda 2 not a mainline game cause it was a sidescroller game? Was Mario Sunshine not a mainline game cause it had Fludd? As far as I'm concerned, if a Sonic game is a 3d platformer, its a mainline game, not to mention that all the wii sonic games got levels in Generations, which means that SEGA consider them mainline games.

Clefargle

What's with all the haters? Christ, comparing the Wii U to the dreamcast is a compliment in my book, it means its ahead of its time.

It wasn't stated but common sense points that it would have been. Generations was MP and the last Racing games were. Wii U sales are terrible so it's even less likely a publisher will choose to make an exclusive by its own. There being 3 exclusives sounds more as something that would be an outcome of a negotiation rather than Sega internally and independently saying 'let's make 3 wii u exclusive games'. There's also the question of why needing an agreement if the games were already exclusives.

Despite Wii U sales, All Stars racing transformed sold equally well, (if not best, can't remember the exact figures at the moment) on Wii U. Generations was MP, yes. Colours, which generations followed immediately on from (because at one point you see eggman flashback to when he was lost out in space after the end of colours, which is when he found the time eater). One mainline game being MP doesn't mean anything in terms of any other sonic games.

It probably helps that sonic colours overall sales ended up rivaling generations despite the larger push behind generations, and it being on 4 consoles (PS3,Xbox 360, PC and 3DS) vs just the wii.

What makes generations and unleashed mainline and not sonic colors? And Wii had unleashed now you just talking crazy.

what saturn fan needed super mario 64 or crash bandicoot when they had THIS

Although the posting of the Sonic Cycle did get a little obnoxious, it doesn't compare to the even worse "CYCLE BROKEN NURR NURR" responses because Sonic Colours was an average passable game and not broken terrible shit like thats some sort of achievement the fanbase's collective heart swells with pride over.

I wonder how much money changed hands here because theres a very real chance the Sonic WiiU sales are going to be a fucking disaster, and Sonics always been on DS and 3DS anyway. Classic Sega step as well really.
While it bombed in general, I think Sonic Racing Transformed (not really a Sonic game but it was kinda sorta marketed as one by SEGA) sold best on the Wii U and Sonic has almost always pushed at least a million or so on Nintendo systems, something I think it only managed outside of Nintendo when you combine 360/PS3 sales for each title.

While it means squat in the grand scheme of things due to the irrelevancy of the overall series nowadays, I don't think it's a dumb business decision for SEGA considering that's where most of the series' sales have come from in the first place.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Although the posting of the Sonic Cycle did get a little obnoxious, it doesn't compare to the even worse "CYCLE BROKEN NURR NURR" responses because Sonic Colours was an average passable game and not broken terrible shit like thats some sort of achievement the fanbase's collective heart swells with pride over..
It's not because of one game that people are declaring the end of the Sonic Cycle. It's two. Generations was wonderful.

And a lot of the people crowing about Sonic's redemption are not "the Sonic fanbase" per se... Some of us have been on the "Sonic sucks" hate train ever since the games went 3D, but the quality of Colors and Generations must be recognized. They do imply that an expectation of failure for Sonic games is a dead concept.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
what saturn fan needed super mario 64 or crash bandicoot when they had THIS

While it bombed in general, Sonic Racing Transformed (not really a Sonic game but it was kinda sorta marketed as one by SEGA) sold best on the Wii U and Sonic has almost always pushed at least a million or so on Nintendo systems, something I think it only managed with 360/PS3 sales combined on other consoles.

While it means squat in the grand scheme of things due to the irrelevancy of the overall series nowadays, I don't think it's a dumb business decision for SEGA considering that's where most of the series' sales have come from in the first place.

I think I'd agree with "Sonic sells best on Nintendo" from the Gamecube era, but I think the Wii was such a sales anomaly that inflated everything like that which had kids as the target that Sega would be wise to not let cloud their judgement. Same thing with Racing Transformed obviously benefiting from being at/around launch and riding the MUST BUY GAMES FOR NEW CONSOLE feeling that pervades launch adopters, although I guess being a Mario Kart alike at a Nintendo launch is pretty smart.

Money changed hands here, and if it didn't then well, Sega being Sega. Even if the sales didnt set the world alight, PS3, X360, and PC sales aren't some insignificant "oh we can do without them" chunk.

Zornica

Banned

So all that points that Lost World would have been MP w\o such agreement. And so far there's nothing said to dispel that notion. I would be happy to retract what i said if Sega will say otherwise.

don't make me go back a few pages in this thread an repost the numbers, because it was posted several times that:
1.) sonic racing sold more on wiiu than on ps360 despite its lower install base
2.) every sonic title on a nintendo plattform outsold their "hd counterpart" on ps360 by quite a bit
3.) sonic generations 3ds outsold generations 360+ps3 (probably even + pc, but that's unknown)

multiplattform is probably not even worth the effort for sega, especially if nintendo helps with promotion
it's like the western developer ninteno cycle, only the other way around this time.
next time the wiiu gets left out by a major publisher, I hope I'll see you there defending it's pride.

Sonic fans who are not interested in have WiiU will miss at least 3 games!.
Join us to convince SEGA to give us Sonic Games in all plataforms in the future

Lol are they expecting to see Mario&Sonic for PS4??

Top Bottom