• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Wii U Exclusive

Skyzard

Banned
^ I probably deserve both of those :p

Sounds like you have never heard of LEGO City.

Lego City is actually a pretty decent showing, was expecting it to look worse. You wouldn't be expected to move at the speed of Sonic still, but yeah it's not something to rule out.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I guess Black Knight, but I barely consider that a game, let alone a Sonic game.

Black Knight is simple, but it definitely is not less fast. On the contrary, Black Knight is extremely fast, the player just has not much input to do here, especially with certain skills that let you use that "autoplay" invincibility+autorunning nearly unlimited.

JimboJones

It wasn't stated but common sense points that it would have been. Generations was MP and the last Racing games were. Wii U sales are terrible so it's even less likely a publisher will choose to make an exclusive by its own. There being 3 exclusives sounds more as something that would be an outcome of a negotiation rather than Sega internally and independently saying 'let's make 3 wii u exclusive games'. There's also the question of why needing an agreement if the games were already exclusives.

So all that points that Lost World would have been MP wo such agreement. And so far there's nothing said to dispel that notion. I would be happy to retract what i said if Sega will say otherwise.

Common sense points this as a continuation of Sega's and Nintendo's arrangment of allowing Sega to make bank on Mario and Sonic olympic games.

I'm dying for an Adventure style of gameplay again. I don't get why people are so into the boost mechanic and not into the free-roaming, more evenly-paced gameplay?

Adventure had it's flaws, but you felt like you were in control and weren't blowing past everything.

Heroes suffered from this as well which made me a sad Pancham. :(

Saty

That's exactly what's happening here though. a publisher decided not to release the game for certain systems. those systems being ps360 for once.
If this game was in production for a multi plattform release, they would've at least teased it a while ago. they didn't. It's the same deal colors got (wii+ds game).
there is no reason to assume otherwise.

No, we don't know that. A MP game doesn't need to be announced to be so. Again, why is there an agreement in the first place if the games are exclusives anyhow?

Common sense points this as a continuation of Sega's and Nintendo's arrangment of allowing Sega to make bank on Mario and Sonic olympic games.
i.e. Nintendo paying up to make Lost World exclusive to Wii U.

If it wasn't like that we would have heard about it. As we did in the case of Bayonetta 2 even existing being thanks to Nintendo.

Looks like im done with Sonic then. I loved Unleashed and The daytime levels was by far most fun in the series history. Id imagine that Sonic will now slowly evolve to something akin to the old Genesis games + Colors. Great for the Sonic retro types but crap for people who love the twitch speed Sonic.

Hakai

It wasn't stated but common sense points that it would have been. Generations was MP and the last Racing games were. Wii U sales are terrible so it's even less likely a publisher will choose to make an exclusive by its own. There being 3 exclusives sounds more as something that would be an outcome of a negotiation rather than Sega internally and independently saying 'let's make 3 wii u exclusive games'. There's also the question of why needing an agreement if the games were already exclusives.

So all that points that Lost World would have been MP w\o such agreement. And so far there's nothing said to dispel that notion. I would be happy to retract what i said if Sega will say otherwise.

Man what common sense is this? Have you ever thought in the possibility that Nintendo approached Sega to make this game, and Nintendo offer themselves to publish it?

Yeah...nothing points to that, but nothing points to it being formely a Multiplatform title also.

So stop using it, cause so far you are just assuming things out of nowhere.

No, we don't know that. A MP game doesn't need to be announced to be so. Again, why is there an agreement in the first place if the games are exclusives anyhow?

i.e. Nintendo paying up to make Lost World exclusive to Wii U.

If it wasn't like that we would have heard about it. As we did in the case of Bayonetta 2 even existing being thanks to Nintendo.

I have to ask, did Nintendo even have to PAY for exclusive Sonic games?

Sega were content with exclusives up the wazoo, let's see:

Wii:

Secret Rings
Black Knight
Colors
Zero Gravity (debatable, it was on PS2 in NA and EU, but not in JP where it was made...)

DS:

Rush
Rush Adventure
Colors

Olympics:

Beijing Olympics
Vancouver Olympics
London Olympics

The Olympics are exclusive by default.

Now...

Wii U:

Lost World
Sochi Olympics

3DS:

Lost World

So yeah, everything up to now was Sega's choice.

Maybe Sega were less tempted due to it being on a single HD console and maybe they wanted Nintendo to lend a hand if so? Costs are much higher than on Wii.

Looks like im done with Sonic then. I loved Unleashed and The daytime levels was by far most fun in the series history. Id imagine that Sonic will now slowly evolve to something akin to the old Genesis games + Colors. Great for the Sonic retro types but crap for people who love the twitch speed Sonic.

Where are people getting this sort of thing from?

Celine

Weird to see Nintendo and Sega becoming such good buddies after 15 years of Blast Processing and Sega does what Nintendon't.
Weird for some of us but we are approaching almost 15 years of Sega being SegaSammy and Nintendo doing its usual stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if younger gaffers weren't even born when Sega still produced consoles.

Proven

This is true. And is part of the problem of using the same IPs between 2D and 3D games meant to replace each other. It doesn't have to be either-or Sega! Look at Nintendo, finally and consistently putting out 2D and 3D Mario games on the same system!

krizzx

I have to ask, did Nintendo even have to PAY for exclusive Sonic games?

Sega were content with exclusives up the wazoo, let's see:

Wii:

Secret Rings
Black Knight
Colors
Zero Gravity (debatable, it was on PS2 in NA and EU, but not in JP where it was made...)

DS:

Rush
Rush Adventure
Colors

Olympics:

Beijing Olympics
Vancouver Olympics
London Olympics

The Olympics are exclusive by default.

Now...

Wii U:

Lost World
Sochi Olympics

3DS:

Lost World

So yeah, everything up to now was Sega's choice.

Maybe Sega were less tempted due to it being on a single HD console and maybe they wanted Nintendo to lend a hand if so? Costs are much higher than on Wii.

Facts are nice.

There is one more as well. SEGA's sells on Nintendo hardware generally outshined their sales on the Sony and Microsoft hardware.

This is one of many instances that contradict the claim that 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo products. As I've pointed out many times, most third party games that had a "real effort" put into them made a profit on the Wii. There were few cases Secrets of Alumar and Lair.

1368802166-sonic-lost-world.jpg

woah that looks really cool!

Yep it looks cool .
Wild speculation : What you see is the full world , the missing pieces are dlc.

image.php

Mmm why does my mouth feels to bitter suddenly...Oh shit, is the Salt. It got to me!, I'm mad bro... I just hope it makes great use of the extra screen.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

What? Where do you get this information about the next Sonic game?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Weird for some of us but we are approaching almost 15 years of Sega being SegaSammy and Nintendo doing its usual stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if younger gaffers weren't even born when Sega still produced consoles.

Back when I was younger and didn't have constant access to gaming news, my parents would only buy me Nintendo consoles because they knew already that I love them (mostly why I'm a fanboy...) and the only 2 Sega consoles I was aware existed were the Genesis and the Game Gear.

I never knew the Dreamcast existed until randomly coming across it in a Zellers for 99 $. Then I did some research and learned of Sega's trouble. I only knew about them dropping console making years after it happened.

I have to admit, that concept image is quite nice! I'm cautious of the quality for obvious reasons, but credit to be given where due :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Facts are nice.

There is one more as well. SEGA's sells on Nintendo hardware generally outshined their sales on the Sony and Microsoft hardware.

This is one of many instances that contradict the claim that 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo products. As I've pointed out many times, most third party games that had a "real effort" put into them made a profit on the Wii. There were few cases Secrets of Alumar and Lair.

didn't Sonic and Sega All Stars Transformed sell pretty well on Nintendo hardware too? I'm seeing 300,000 on Wii U and 190,000 on 3DS, and the 3DS version is shit.

Bulzeeb

didn't Sonic and Sega All Stars Transformed sell pretty well on Nintendo hardware too? I'm seeing 300,000 on Wii U and 190,000 on 3DS, and the 3DS version is shit.

well I read somewhere in this topic that transformed sold more on Wii U than the other consoles, also it is not as if this was the first exclusive Sonic game for a Nintendo console

Lol saying Sonic Lost Worlds was originally multiplat because Nintendo approached them and had to form a partnership is like saying the Wonderful 101 was originally multiplat too because Nintendo approached Platinum to make the game. Is it that hard to grasp that some games are just exclusive or is it because its Nintendo that "oh it was probably multiplat, oh it will be multiplat" always has to be the answer? I swear if this game was a Sony or Microsoft exclusive no one would be saying "oh this game was originally multiplat because Sony approached Sega to make it exclusive."

Who else wouldn't object to a Gens port maybe for summer? Not as the 3rd game of course, but something extra as a late port ala Lego Batman 2? Charge it at $29.99 ala NSLU, I'd like to see that. Get another team to port it, not the Lost Worlds team, because they need to focus on the real game here!

The fuck is the UGA team up to these days? Did they even work on Free Riders?

OH, I'd actually wouldn't mind a real Riders sequel being the 3rd game if they do another, I actually liked the original and Zero Gravity, just get Now Pro (who did the original) back, I think they should expand on that.

Sonic All Stars Racing 3 as the 3rd game would be cool, but I want something from Japan more. :p

Obviously my main pick is the next main game after Lost World. Two mainline exclusives in a row? I'd loooove that.

Oh, and just to add:

My favorite is from the OVA.

Tails: Sonic! Help me please! Please help Sonic!

Sonic: Grrrr... SHUT UP TAILS!

tumblr_m8xs4z9esA1rxkezdo1_1345269407_cover.jpg

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY, THE MORE THE MERRIER!!!

qq more

What the heck?

And nice generalization. You always generalize classic Sonic fans at any given opportunity, don't you?

Top Bottom