• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Wii U Exclusive

I'm dying for an Adventure style of gameplay again. I don't get why people are so into the boost mechanic and not into the free-roaming, more evenly-paced gameplay?

Adventure had it's flaws, but you felt like you were in control and weren't blowing past everything.

Heroes suffered from this as well which made me a sad Pancham. :(

Probably because the last few times they did an Adventure-style game, they bombed horribly. Meanwhile, the Boost-style gameplay has been great and well-received. It's clear which direction they should go in, which helps since I have no faith in them doing another good Adventure game...if one even existed.

Videoneon

Some news for you guys, courtesy of SegaBITS. I've posted a short bit from the fairly short article.

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/18/sonic-lost-world-to-be-all-new-says-sega/#comment-19066

Details on Sonic’s latest Nintendo-exclusive adventure remain scarce, with a single concept photo among our only clues for where the Blue Blur’s next journey will take him. Today we’ve received a slight bit of info courtesy of Sega of America President John Cheng, who divulged some vague teases to the Associated Press.

“With ‘Sonic Lost World,’ we’re going to introduce new gameplay and enemies, which is always fun,” Cheng said. “In terms of Sonic and his friends, he’ll have his same friends there, and I think there’ll be some new ones as well. It’s not a reiteration. It’s going to be all new.”

YES. >=)

YOU'VE GOT THIS SONIC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8N1Hhw70Ss

THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT

Such a miserable experience, that boss fight. Dammit.

Probably because the last few times they did an Adventure-style game, they bombed horribly. Meanwhile, the Boost-style gameplay has been great and well-received. It's clear which direction they should go in, which helps since I have no faith in them doing another good Adventure game...if one even existed.
The last few times?

Pretty sure O-TWO did Free Riders and Zero Gravity. Didn't know UGA did Rhythm Thief, nice. :)
NowPro definitely worked on Zero Gravity, some of the same programmers from Riders 1 even returned for it. I can't find credits for Free Riders to check against so no idea there, I just assumed NowPro.

O-Two definitely worked on both games too going by their site listings, as well as Unleashed Wii. They also list Disgaea Portable btw, which NowPro also worked on.

Darryl

Banned
Why no mention of 3DS in the title? It's coming to both 3DS and Wii U.

the 3DS game is probably something completely different and not as exciting. console Sonic is best sonic

My favorite is from the OVA.

Tails: Sonic! Help me please! Please help Sonic!

Sonic: Grrrr... SHUT UP TAILS!

tumblr_m8xs4z9esA1rxkezdo1_1345269407_cover.jpg

i picked up this movie recently and started watching it. never finished it but i noticed that it aged very well. the first half at least.

Darryl

Banned
maybe thats way Hirokazu Yasuhara joined Nintendo lately

http://kotaku.com/5899233/sonics-co+creator-joins-nintendo

this would've been a little over a year ago? that doesn't seem like it'd fit the right time frame. they would've needed to start this the moment Generations finished, probably over 6 months before this news broke. it's possible they got him on board in some form though since he was there because why not, it sounds good for marketing reasons at least. i doubt this is the main project they hired him for

qq more

this would've been a little over a year ago? that doesn't seem like it'd fit the right time frame. they would've needed to start this the moment Generations finished, probably over 6 months before this news broke. it's possible they got him on board in some form though since he was there because why not, it sounds good for marketing reasons at least. i doubt this is the main project they hired him for

That and didn't he ended up posting some music video that featured Knuckles? Kind of disappointed because it wasn't anything like his catchy raps from SA2. lol

.la1n

New friends? Is it finally time for Suck the Cock to introduce himself?

Okay this got me, lmao. I really hate the idea of returning friends and I am really afraid of the fact they are introducing new ones. Optimism for game changed accordingly. We'll see Sega. Do not ruin the good will done with generations and colors.

I'm dying for an Adventure style of gameplay again. I don't get why people are so into the boost mechanic and not into the free-roaming, more evenly-paced gameplay?

Adventure had it's flaws, but you felt like you were in control and weren't blowing past everything.

I like you.

Kandinsky

Sonic Colors sold at least 1.85 mil units combined with the two versions:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/02/sonic_colours_sells_185_million_copies_worldwide

I can't think of any other IPs that would be realistic for Nintendo to moneyhat that have that kind of strength on Nintendo platforms. :/
Exactly, Sonic sells on Nintendo platforms regardless, so why bother.
Edit:
Who said they moneyhatted it?
Are you being so bitter that you have to make up lie?
Well I might be wrong but I see no other explanation for this.

MYE

Its Sonic, I'm sure I wont care for the game. I hope I'm wrong.

Exactly what I'm saying, Nintendo does not need this as an exclusive, Sonic sell fine regardless.

Maybe they want Sonic fans to buy their system to play it instead of giving them the chance to choose between 3 systems.

Blueblur1

Amen. Also, nice Pokemon reference.

Darryl

Banned
Exactly what I'm saying, Nintendo does not need this as an exclusive, Sonic sell fine regardless.

with nintendo funding it, sonic can go a year without their annual release. making this title much higher-quality and much more must own as an exclusive.

Yagharek

Ive hated every Sonic game since (and including) Sonic Adventure, with the sole exception of the Neo Geo Pocket Colour version. I didnt bother with Colours though I hear that is meant to be good, but after Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes and Sonic 4, I've given up on the series.

Maybe if it was like Sonic 2/3/K it might be worth a look at a demo.

Meelow

Banned
Edit:

Because if it was multiplat it would probably be between PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/720/PC/3DS/Vita.

So people wouldn't buy a Wii U for a game they can get on their system they already own, now that it's a Wii U exclusive (as well as coming to 3DS but probably not the same game), than it could help Wii U units sell and can be a system seller.

Ive hated every Sonic game since (and including) Sonic Adventure, with the sole exception of the Neo Geo Pocket Colour version. I didnt bother with Colours though I hear that is meant to be good, but after Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes and Sonic 4, I've given up on the series.

Maybe if it was like Sonic 2/3/K it might be worth a look at a demo.

What a refreshing opinion, thanks for sharing.

Nintendo and Sega need to stop pussy footing around and just get married. Merge the families.

I enjoyed Colors and Generations, never been a huge fan of Sonic either. Hopefully they go 3 for 3.

Sandfox

Why do people think that this game will be a spin-off when Colors was canon?

The one screenshot we have for this game is making me a little hyped at the possibilities and excluding Generations I haven't been hyped for a Sonic game since Heroes and that was only because I loved SA2 so much.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Why do people think that this game will be a spin-off when Colors was canon?

Spin-off the wall irrelevancy is exclusive to Nintendo.

Kai

Wasn't there a leak about this game a while ago when it was mulitplat? Details about it and everything?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Edit:

That doesn't explain why you are presenting your statement as a fact there.

BD1

Banned
Sonic Colors sold at least 1.85 mil units combined with the two versions:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/02/sonic_colours_sells_185_million_copies_worldwide

I can't think of any other IPs that would be realistic for Nintendo to moneyhat that have that kind of strength on Nintendo platforms. :/

Edit:

Really?

I harp on that EDGE teaser a lot, but I wonder if the Chao looking teaser that led to nothing in EDGE a few months back was going to be a Lost World reveal, but a newly minted Sega/Nintendo agreement had it pulled at the last minute?

TheOGB

Banned
If it's the same leak from the thread Kai bumped, then yeah, I'm pretty sure that guy made it up.

I harp on that EDGE teaser a lot, but I wonder if the Chao looking teaser that led to nothing in EDGE a few months back was going to be a Lost World reveal, but a newly minted Sega/Nintendo agreement had it pulled at the last minute?
The reveal in that issue of Edge was for PES ... Clearly something was pulled.

I like boost for the pure adrenaline. Sonic was always represented by speed, we love the boost because it is a staple that defines him and his gameplay, while improving on the system created by SA2. You still get your hubs, just not a train section I guess, and to be honest, after experiencing games like Unleashed and Generations.... I really don't want to go back to being too slow.

I'm willing to meet you at a half way point of offering discovery with basic gameplay in hubworlds while pure adrenaline boosting (Sonic Unleashed Control + Sonic Generations' level design.) along with having to find secrets and stuff like SA2, and the trick system of Sonic Rush+SA2. Generations tried to pull that shit but it doesn't feel as good as Rush. I also was actually a fan of the Ramp QTE promps from Unleashed.

Yagharek

What a refreshing opinion, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with sharing opinions respectfully.

Personally, I think it'd be nice to just have a simplistic Sonic game with Robotnik, animals turned into robots, rings and emeralds.

The series' downfall started as soon as they gave them voices.

Top Bottom