• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Wii U Exclusive

World looks really interesting. The geometric design reminds me a lot of CD and Sonic 3, good stuff so far. I wonder what the significance of this new world design is, open world? Why go to another setting if all they have is deserts forests and volcanoes when Angel Island had all of that already? Just for the story? I can't wait to find out more.

Sega is a dying company. Well, at least the Sega part of the company. Nintendo should buy the Sonic IP. And a few other IP's.

Don't buy the company. Staff leave when you do that, and you're left with a debt burden. Just buy the IP.

Suddenly a Sonic game is a potential system seller?

Have Sonic games even been successful over the past 5+ years?

Why do people who haven't touched a Sonic game since the Genesis feel compelled to post in Sonic threads and say things like this?

They're consistent million sellers, sell the most on Ninty consoles since Sega went 3rd party and Colors was one of the few reasons to own a Wii

Sega is a dying company. Well, at least the Sega part of the company. Nintendo should buy the Sonic IP. And a few other IP's.

Don't buy the company. Staff leave when you do that, and you're left with a debt burden. Just buy the IP.

Sega is not going to sell their most iconic Ip.

new action platforming game

This worries me as it reminds me of black knight urghh.

Yes, very much so. Especially on Nintendo platforms.

Sonic colours sold 1.85 million WW in three months. I wouldn't call that a system seller especially considering there were 80+ million base.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
sega sent me this on my facebook page.

SEGA and Nintendo Enter Exclusive Partnership for Sonic the Hedgehog

SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced details of an exclusive partnership with Nintendo of America Inc. and Nintendo of Europe GmbH for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. The new agreement will make Nintendo consoles the number one destination for Sonic gaming over the next three titles. The first two titles of the deal were announced today via Nintendo Direct, and details of the third Sonic title will be revealed at a later date.

“Sonic the Hedgehog has performed incredibly well on Nintendo platforms and this exclusive partnership is a natural fit for the next evolution of Sonic games” commented Jurgen Post COO SEGA Europe Ltd. “The Wii U and Nintendo 3DS are ideal platforms to showcase Sonic and we are looking forward to working with Nintendo on these three exciting adventures.”

Sonic the Hedgehog first appeared as a videogame character in June 1991 and instantly became an icon for a generation of gamers. Defined by his super-fast speed and cool attitude, in the years since he first raced on to videogame consoles Sonic has become a true global phenomenon with over 75 million videogames and smartphone apps sold worldwide. SEGA’s iconic blue blur has also gone on to enjoy incredible success in many licensed areas, such as toys, apparel, comics and animation.

Colby

Sonic colours sold 1.85 million WW in three months. I wouldn't call that a system seller especially considering there were 80+ million base.
I was responding to the question of it being a sales success, which at almost two million, it certainly is. Sonic Transformed selling the most copies on Wii U is another example of what a (very good) Sonic game can do for Nintendo (also, I think it was such a success because of its $40 entry price, which I think is something publishers should learn from and be more liberal with, but that's another topic...). That's why I think this is bigger news than many on GAF are thinking.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yea we will be seeing this at E3, lets hope its as glorious as that art

We'll see more of the game before E3, Iwata said.

Also its part of the 'new' Sonic cycle, if this goes the same route as Colors and Generations. Basically, a Sonic game gets announced in the Spring with little to no info. A CG teaser trailer releases. A week or less later we get screens, and shortly after, info. Maybe a magazine article around or shortly after the time. Then E3 comes and we get a gameplay trailer as well as a playable demo and impressions/videos from E3. Then from there the info becomes more regular, we end up getting trailers for every level in the game, and then it releases in November (Sonic games almost always release in November for at least the last 10 years).

Hopefully if its like Colors and Generations, it turns out good and continues the general acceptance that the Sonic series has been on a steady rise of quality lately, rather than crashing and burning. But I feel since SEGA did its major 'Sonic reconstructing' before Colors, the series has seen a rise in quality, so they changed something that seems to be working for them. And if I understand this correctly, Nintendo is helping some with development like they were with Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, for example, so maybe the collaboration could turn out an amazing game. Not that I don't have faith SEGA figured out how to make good Sonic games again after Colors and Generations, but Nintendo helping could make an amazing Sonic game if they both know what they're doing (which some would argue, they don't, but we'll see).

I'm not sure how to feel about an increasingly isolated publisher making an exclusive deal to produce on an increasingly isolated platform.

I suppose technically you could do worse than having a system with nothing but Nintendo, Sega, and Platinum games on it.

AniHawk

the idea that sonic games have always sold the best on nintendo consoles isn't quite true, but it was definitely true last/current gen.

console sonic sales in the us:

1. sonic mega collection (ps2) - 1.6m
2. sonic adventure 2 battle (gc)
3. sonic heroes (ps2)
4. sonic mega collection (gc)
5. sonic and the secret rings (wii)
6. sonic adventure (dc) - 1.05m
7. sonic heroes (gc) - 840k
8. sonic adventure dx (gc)
9. sonic unleashed (wii)
10. sonic unleashed (ps2)
11. sonic colors (wii)
12. shadow the hedgehog (gc) - 500k
13. sonic and the black knight (wii) - 400k
14. sonic adventure 2 (dc)
15. sonic the hedgehog 2006 (360) (not including bundles with console)
16. sonic the hedgehog 2006 (ps3)
17. sonic mega collection (xbox) - 360k
18. sonic unleashed (360) - 280k
19. sonic heroes (xbox)
20. shadow the hedgehog (ps2)
21. sonic unleashed (ps3)
22. sonic generations (360) - 200k
23. sonic generations (ps3) - 150k
24. sonic gems collection (gc)
25. shadow the hedgehog (xbox) - 100k

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Where are the numbers from? The last time I checked the sales on Sonic Colors (which combined both the DS and Wii sales), the number was upward of 2.25 million combined, and that was a year and a half or so ago, and I swear Sonic Colors was mentioned to have sold over 1.3 million on Wii.

V_Arnold

I love how Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the best-selling Sonic if we do not count the classic collections, which is more than one game.

It is my favorite Sonic game after all, so all is well in the world :)

Sega knows that. And that's why Sega isn't going to sell the IP.

Meelow

Banned

If Nintendo buys the IP though that's pretty much destroying Sega, Nintendo is better off buying the company or keep doing what they are doing and money hatting exclusives.

Where are the numbers from? The last time I checked the sales on Sonic Colors (which combined both the DS and Wii sales), the number was upward of 2.25 million combined, and that was a year and a half or so ago, and I swear Sonic Colors was mentioned to have sold over 1.3 million on Wii.
These are US only sales. Missing the spinoffs though (Shuffle, Racing 1-2, Mario & Sonic 1-3, etc).

Also worth noting:

Secret Rings Wii > The Hedgehog 2006 360 + PS3 combined
Unleashed Wii > Unleashed 360 + PS3 combined
Colors Wii > Generations 360 + PS3 combined
Generations 3DS > Generations 360 + PS3 combined

My big hope is that Yasuhara gets pulled from NST to design and consult for this game, if not take on a bulk of the design himself. He's the original game designer for the series, and one of the most talented I know, so getting him for the job would be perfect.

AniHawk

that's worldwide. europe is also a big place for sonic. this is just the us.

Meelow

Banned
who are the developers? i dont trust Sonic Team. i hope the Mario Galaxy team is making this game.

The Mario Galaxy team is making 3D Mario Wii U.

Unless...By E3 the name of this will be Mario X Sonic Lost World (That sounds epic).

But I think the Sonic team is doing this with Nintendo help possibly.

These are US only sales. Missing the spinoffs though (Shuffle, Racing 1-2, Mario & Sonic 1-3, etc).

Also worth noting:

Secret Rings Wii > The Hedgehog 2006 360 + PS3 combined
Unleashed Wii > Unleashed 360 + PS3 combined
Colors Wii > Generations 360 + PS3 combined
Generations 3DS > Generations 360 + PS3 combined

I did not know that...Wow.

who are the developers? i dont trust Sonic Team. i hope the Mario Galaxy team is making this game.
After Colors and Generations, not to mention PSO2, I think Sonic Team has earned back a bit of respect. They're not at the same heights as their MD/Saturn heydays yet, but they're putting out some consistently good stuff still now.

Mit-

What's wrong with Sonic Team? Is the last game you played Sonic '06? They've been doing quite well lately.

Also, bring back Unleashed's composer D:<

Unless it's the same composer as Colors. In which case, still bring back that composer. Unleashed's soundtrack is incredible. All of it. Night and Day stages.

Fandangox

I'm not buying a sonic game until they add chaos garden again.

But Professor Beef told me no one liked this mode.

I don't know why they haven't made a separate game or app from it for the longest time. It's a ridiculous oversight: Tamagotchi's still big in Japan, so you'd think they'd go and provide an alternative.

I don't think that would work. Chaos Garden was great in the SA games because it sort of served as a break from the usual platforming, kind of like a nice change of pace. Stand alone would probably get very boring fast.

AniHawk

handhelds (us only)

1. sonic advance (gba) - 1.25m
2. sonic rush (ds) - 1.2m
3. sonic advance 2 (gba) - 740k
4. sonic advance 3 (gba) - 700k
5. sonic rivals (psp)
6. sonic classic collection (ds)
7. sonic colors (ds) - 600k
8. sonic generations (3ds) - 400k
9. sonic rush adventure (ds) - 350k
10. sonic rivals 2 (psp) - 200k

handhelds (us only)

1. sonic advance (gba) - 1.25m
2. sonic rush (ds) - 1.2m
3. sonic advance 2 (gba) - 740k
4. sonic advance 3 (gba) - 700k
5. sonic rivals (psp)
6. sonic classic collection (ds)
7. sonic colors (ds) - 600k
8. sonic rush adventure (ds) - 350k
9. sonic generations (3ds) - 300k
10. sonic rivals 2 (psp) - 200k

That drop for Sonic Rush Adventure.

I don't think that would work. Chaos Garden was great in the SA games because it sort of served as a break from the usual platforming, kind of like a nice change of pace. Stand alone would probably get very boring fast.
There's quite a lot to get out of the SA2:B Chao Garden, actually. It's got a more complex system than current Tamagotchi programs (due to more stats and stuff); divorce it from the main game and leave it as a side-attraction, I bet more people would like it then.

Top Bottom