• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

TrueBlue

The trigger idea sounds pretty good, as long as you don't have to hold the trigger down while running, which would seem a bit clunky.

That preview has got me pumped, as well as addressing the issue I had like 5 minutes ago regarding stage settings, another Dessert Desert in a Wii U platformer? i'll take it, Sonic will probably make more use of it for fun stage gimmickry than NSMBU which left it as a background visual.

Also Wisps, glorious wisps, give me Frenzy, beats a bog standard invincibility power up any day.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'll give this to Sega: after Sonic 2006 they never stopped experimenting and trying interesting new things to see what they could do with the franchise. Some of them were lackluster (Secret Rings), some of them worked out fantastically (Colors), some were so-so (Unleashed) but compared to a lot of other franchises Sonic has done a lot of experimentation and innovation in the last decade.

Papacheeks

Banned
Hedgehog Engine?

Yes, Hedgehog Engine was built and used back when Sonic Unleashed came out. It's what they use for Sonic Generations, Colors, and Sonic Allstar Racing transformed.

It's a very robust engine with amazing animation tools. Watch some of the animations in Generations, and in Sonic Unleashed. Very Pixar like.

It's a shame there isn't any other games from Sega using this engine, i would love a new Billy Hatcher game, or Sega soccer slam, or a new streets of rage with a cartoon polished aesthetic.

It's not only the artistical decision (which I think rather resembles Monkey Ball, than an actual sonic game) but Sonics model also looks worse, it really seems like it's based on the Sonic from Colours and hence I'd guess LW probably started as a Wii game, instead of Wii U and could still look much better for what it is. This is like an HD port of Mario Galaxy, but without the artistical finesse of a Galaxy of course.

Lolno.

Seda

Confirmed via IGN article:

• Producer is Takashi Iizuka
  • "some stages focusing on slower speeds with more platforming, and others pushing players to run as fast as possible"
  • Tiered structure to movement speed, depending on if you are holding down neither, one of, or both the triggers.
  • Parkour system where Sonic can opt to keep running even if he hit's an obstacle.
  • "GamePad is specifically used to activate various Whisp-based “Color Powers,” which feature touch-based controls and are mostly used to gain access to side paths and areas."
  • "The GamePad will also play a role in ‘Support Mode,’ which allows one player to use Wii U’s tablet to assist a second player who is controlling Sonic with a Wii remote and Nunchuck."
  • Tails, Knuckles and Amy will make non-playable appearances. Eggman is back as well
  • Rescuing Flickies and gathering Red Star rings will unlock content, or open up gold cannons which open up new paths

Blame the endless whining about "Sonic's shitty friends". I would frankly like to at least play Tails and Knuckles at least. Christ. . .

The "whining" was justified. Nobody likes Sonic 06's overload of shitty friends unless they're watching a Let's Play, and the Adventure games were bogged down with awful gameplay variants.

Skyzard

Banned
The tier system with triggers (although unconventional) sounds fantastic to me.

I want to understand how they change the direction/different perspectives, can you pick and choose..or is it finding the right hit switch sort of thing (bumping into a boingy-spring-thing that pushes you to a different direction/perspective).

Is it still blowing anybodys mind this is a Nintendo published Sonic game?

Seriously what the hell?!! If I told you all this in January, GAF would have trolled me to get off the cocaine lol

Makes sense if they did use the galaxy level editor heavily like someone mentioned as a possibility earlier in the thread.

qq more

Blame the endless whining about "Sonic's shitty friends". I would frankly like to at least play Tails and Knuckles at least. Christ. . .

As much as I'd love to play as Tails and Knuckles, the "endless whining" is honestly justified after what happened in games like Sonic 06. The fact they're using just Sonic helps them focus on the actual main gameplay.

One day we'll probably see them playable again, and I would like that, but for now I'm comfortable with just Sonic.

We know Sonic gets to Lost Hex via Tornado, so I'm sure Tails will be part of the story component. If they're truly pulling a Mario Galaxy on us, they could offer alternate characters to play with post-game. Actually playing as them in the main game would be bollocks, and Iizuka knows that. He's really gotten things together just letting others direct the games for him.

NotLiquid

As mentioned, Sonic Team’s greatest challenge was maintaining a sense of speed for the series while finding controls that made sense. The result is now that, by default, Sonic doesn’t burst off with a tilt of the analog stick. He walks – until you use one of the GamePad’s triggers to engage his running speed. This too is actually not full speed. Holding down the second trigger will pull Sonic into a ball, giving him access to his full momentum, which Iizuka likened to the ‘Boost speed’ from previous titles. By creating a tiered structure to movement, Sonic Team is hoping players will be able to navigate the wide range of level designs, exploring and running as necessary.

That’s also where the Parkour system comes into play. “In previous 3D Sonic games, even if you're running through a level at top speed, if you hit an obstacle you stop instantly,” Iizuka explained. “To avoid this, we added a new action to keep Sonic running, even when you hit an obstacle. To make sure it only happens when you want it to, it's triggered by the player holding the run button.” Like any game, automating actions brings a certain risk, but doing nothing means Sonic games continue to run into a brick wall – literally in the case of gameplay.

1sjrQ1B.gif

Holy fuck I'm crying. I think this is my dream Sonic game.

Oh my god.

Please don't fuck this up.

Lijik

WAIT WAIT WAIT-Wisps are back? I guess this is Sonic Colors 2. The IGN preview mentions Sonic uses Wisp Color Powers to access side routes.

If the announcer returns then Day fucking Zero.
All of the off the wall arcadey ass shit they tossed into Colors like the announcer were such a delight, I want more of that.

I'll give this to Sega: after Sonic 2006 they never stopped experimenting and trying interesting new things to see what they could do with the franchise. Some of them were lackluster (Secret Rings), some of them worked out fantastically (Colors), some were so-so (Unleashed) but compared to a lot of other franchises Sonic has done a lot of experimentation and innovation in the last decade.

They never experimented with true 3D, ever since Secret Rings it's always been the same on rails garbage.

This finally looks like it may break the mould though.

I find it interesting that quite a few people don't like the art style and instead want realistic lighting, shaders, grass, and other things. I guess people's taste in game's styles and graphics really have changed...

I really don't want to draw unnecessary comparisons, but in the same way that the Wii U version is giving me Galaxy vibes, the screenshots for the 3DS version is kinda giving me a Mario 3D Land vibe for some reason.

Meelow

Banned
Confirmed via IGN article:

• Producer is Takashi Iizuka
  • "some stages focusing on slower speeds with more platforming, and others pushing players to run as fast as possible"
  • Tiered structure to movement speed, depending on if you are holding down neither, one of, or both the triggers.
  • Parkour system where Sonic can keep running even if he hits an obstacle.
  • "GamePad is specifically used to activate various Whisp-based “Color Powers,” which feature touch-based controls and are mostly used to gain access to side paths and areas."
  • "The GamePad will also play a role in ‘Support Mode,’ which allows one player to use Wii U’s tablet to assist a second player who is controlling Sonic with a Wii remote and Nunchuck."
  • Tails, Knuckles and Amy will make non-playable appearances. Eggman is back as well
  • Rescuing Flickies and gathering Red Star rings will unlock content, or open up gold cannons which open up new paths

Would love if Eggman pulled a Ganondorf and stole the enemy's spotlight.

Thorakai

My hype is through the roof now. I have high hopes for Nintendo's other collaborations and third party dealings....maybe a certain blue bomber revival?

Now I have a reason to buy a WiiU

A Sonic game been the killer app for a Ninty console, it would have blown my SEGA & Sonic fanboy mind back in the 91-92

Linkhero1

Just wondering. Are there still people crying over this being exclusive to the Wii U? I want to see some of their overreactions after the trailer was shown.

nikatapi

Looks great, i like the bright art style and that the environments look more like old Sonic games and not something more realistic.

I'm hoping that both versions are good, will definitely get the 3DS one if impressions are positive, and will keep an eye for the WiiU version when i get the console.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't really follow Sonic games, but what's the low down on SEGA media for the series? Because those are 720p screens, which makes sense, but they're also very clean. If they're indeed direct feed shots Lost Worlds has lovely image quality.

Anyway, I think whether it looks better/worse than Generations will depend on taste. The tech in PC Generations is probably better, but this is more stylised and clearly not trying to look the same. This shot:

kHgNhRR.jpg

In particular shows a focus on more vibrant, toon-like colouring of assets. Like Galaxy, really.

Fabrik

Banned
Those screenshots look gorgeous. I love stylized artstyles. And blue skies.
I hope the character controls are spot-on and that the game allows exploration.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'll be honest though, I hope this game will be playable with just the Core Pro controller. The Wii U controller shouldn't be a mandate to any game on the system.

That's also what's preventing me from buying a Wii U right away. I just want to use the Pro controller, i don't want to use the tablet. Only if I wanted to play while I was in bed or something.

But to me a pro controller or no dice.

If the pro controller isn't supported or an option for play, then No buy because I'v used the tablet and I don't like using it. Especially after playing games with both Keyboard and mouse on my pc with some games using xbox controller. The same goes for my PS3, controller is king.

Seda

I don't really follow Sonic games, but what's the low down on SEGA media for the series? Because those are 720p screens, which makes sense, but they're also very clean. If they're indeed direct feed shots Lost Worlds has lovely image quality.

Anyway, I think whether it looks better/worse than Generations will depend on taste. The tech in PC Generations is probably better, but this is more stylised and clearly not trying to look the same. This shot:

http://i.imgur.com/kHgNhRR.jpg[img]

In particular shows a focus on more vibrant, toon-like colouring of assets. Like Galaxy, really.[/QUOTE]

Can you update the thread title?

Daingurse

The "whining" was justified. Nobody likes Sonic 06's overload of shitty friends unless they're watching a Let's Play, and the Adventure games were bogged down with awful gameplay variants.

Nobody should like 06 in general. Sega long ago should have returned to the 3&K style of gameplay, in regards to multiple characters, with Sonic's gameplay as the base template. The characters aren't the problem, it's the shitty gimmicky gameplay assigned to them. It's been over 6 years since 06, it's been fucking long enough. Haters will never be satisfied, we've had multiple characters since Sonic fucking 2.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, looks and sounds great.

Wii U might have a nice little 2nd half lineup..

Alienous

kHgNhRR.jpg

In particular shows a focus on more vibrant, toon-like colouring of assets. Like Galaxy, really.

My worries are mainly the animation. There's a scene in the trailer where Sonic is just kicking the shit out of stuff, and it looks horrible.

Zero148

I'll be honest though, I hope this game will be playable with just the Core Pro controller. The Wii U controller shouldn't be a mandate to any game on the system.

That's also what's preventing me from buying a Wii U right away. I just want to use the Pro controller, i don't want to use the tablet. Only if I wanted to play while I was in bed or something.

But to me a pro controller or no dice.

If the pro controller isn't supported or an option for play, then No buy because I'v used the tablet and I don't like using it. Especially after playing games with both Keyboard and mouse on my pc with some games using xbox controller. The same goes for my PS3, controller is king.

I have to ask, have you ever used the gamepad? it has all the buttons the pro controller has and really great ergonomics. Also the weight isn't really high (I would say a bit heavier than a 360 pad). Only the batterie life is a bit low

edit: lol, forgot to read your last sentences. Silly me xD

Top Bottom