• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying collectors edition just to keep sealed for years to come

Buying the vanilla version to play. Literally cannot wait!!! Just tell us when it's out! Surely it doesn't take very long at all to make a game like this nowadays?
You're going to keep a digital code that may expire sealed for years?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well, here's our first look at Green Hill Act 2

C17IKzjWQAY1XY6.jpg

https://twitter.com/MemeBeanMach/status/819312288599605248
MERRY SWITCHMAS! EVERYONE!

Opa-Pa

Aw man, I thought they had actually announced it for Switch. Game is a no brainer for the platform and it's pretty weird that the modern Sonic game got announced for it and not Mania.

Honesty folks, I'd cool your expectations of Sonic Mania being on Switch. Why? Because SEGA.

Remember how, after the sucess of the Sonic CD port/remaster, SEGA rehired Taxman to do the same for Sonic 1 & 2, making the definitive versions of those games...and yet, for no reason, they kept them exclusive to iOS forever (whereas Sonic CD was multiplatform)?

Yeah, I'm not expecting this to come out on Switch.

antibolo

Banned
Honesty folks, I'd cool your expectations of Sonic Mania being on Switch. Why? Because SEGA.

Remember how, after the sucess of the Sonic CD port/remaster, SEGA rehired Taxman to do the same for Sonic 1 & 2, making the definitive versions of those games...and yet, for no reason, they kept them exclusive to iOS forever (whereas Sonic CD was multiplatform)?

Yeah I will never forgive Sega for that. Just... whyyyyyy

Honestly it probably wasn't announced for Switch because they didn't have dev kits for it

Obviously SEGA/Sonic Team would get one but Mania is essentially being made by "fan game" creators. The fact that one specifically mentioned Switch and the other didn't at the same event says a lot

It'll probably come over at some point, makes no sense not to. Might not be there at launch though

Opa-Pa

Yeah I figured that too.

I mean normally you'd expect Sega to provide them with dev kits too, but then again /this is Sega/ after all.

jax

Banned

Yeah I will never forgive Sega for that. Just... whyyyyyy

Because the 3D classics released around the same time and they wanted people to buy those too.

It's unlike there isn't an abundance of ways to play Sonic The Hedgehog, besides, this is the year of Sonic and Project 2017 is already confirmed on Switch, and Mania has a March release date. There's nothing keeping Mania from porting to Switch at all. I'd say it's pretty likely.

As I posted on Sonic Retro the scans look awesome. The game is glowing with the spirit of the Classics. So much love, attention and talent going in to this. Spring or the rumoured release date of March can't come soon enough. This has to come to the Switch. Project Sonic 2017 is confirmed for it so Mania is a no-brainer.

gelf

I'd never expect any logic with Sega's porting decisions. They've showed precious little of it since the Dreamcast died really.

Sciz

Is Sonic R any good? Never played it. really digging the soundtrack though

It's thin on content, the characters aren't balanced, and the controls are wonky. But it's still fun while it lasts, and most of the levels are sophisticated enough that you can spend a lot of time learning the layouts and shortcuts, and then more time relearning them under different weather conditions.

SEGA foreverrrrr <3
I love Sega. If this is a hit I've been speculating what might lead to. Maybe a NiGHTS sequel that looks/feels like a Saturn game? Probably not but I think that would be great. Id be fine with Sonic Mania 2

It's thin on content, the characters aren't balanced, and the controls are wonky. But it's still fun while it lasts, and most of the levels are sophisticated enough that you can spend a lot of time learning the layouts and shortcuts, and then more time relearning them under different weather conditions.
And the music in the game is fantastic

goldenpp72

I love Sega. If this is a hit I've been speculating what might lead to. Maybe a NiGHTS sequel that looks/feels like a Saturn game? Probably not but I think that would be great. Id be fine with Sonic Mania 2

The leap from 2d sonic game made by a small group to a new Nights is a pretty big one. I don't imagine anything Sega is doing with Sonic will really impact what they do with their other IP, it never has before.

I'll continue assuming non Sonic games are dead from Sega outside of their Atlus and PC side :(

Aki-at

The leap from 2d sonic game made by a small group to a new Nights is a pretty big one. I don't imagine anything Sega is doing with Sonic will really impact what they do with their other IP, it never has before.

I'll continue assuming non Sonic games are dead from Sega outside of their Atlus and PC side :(

Pft we live in a world where Daytona AND Shenmue 3 is happening.

No doubts only dreams.

(I don't think a new NiGHTS is happening but I wouldn't be surprised if they start to dig into their older catalogue now)

Surta

Err, what? They're also available on Android, meaning they're pretty easy to play on a PC (Bluestacks and all that). Sure, a proper PC port would have been great, but saying they're iOS exclusives is plain wrong.

Aquova

Speaking of this and porting, I'm still baffled that NiGHTS, Sonic Adventure, SA2, and fucking Sonic the Fighters all came to XBLA, but Sonic R didn't.

I mean... There's a lot more demand for NiGHTS and the Adventure games than Sonic R will ever have. Those were no-brainers to put on there I imagine.

Sonic the Fighters tho...

TreIII

They would be crazy to not have Sonic Mania on the Switch.

Definitely.

Sonic and Nintendo's audience have a healthy relationship, and the Switch is the closest thing that will exist to a "dedicated portable" in the next cycle. You'd think making sure there's plenty of Sonic to go around for the Nintendo base would be a high priority.

It may not have anything to do with Sega. People in the GDC State of the Industry thread are mentioning that Nintendo has been very tight on dev kits. So, it may be just a case that the studios behind Mania haven't been able to get their hands on one to begin a porting process. The reason the other one is confirmed right now is because Sonic Team is obviously a big developer, so Nintendo would make sure that they had kits in their hands.

Rlan

Speaking of this and porting, I'm still baffled that NiGHTS, Sonic Adventure, SA2, and fucking Sonic the Fighters all came to XBLA, but Sonic R didn't.

Traveller's Tales did work on the Sonic R on Gems collection, so i imagine getting them now with being prt of Warner and doing a million lego games is a bit of a task.

Plus sega had their own Sonic & all stars games to get people to.

Traveller's Tales did work on the Sonic R on Gems collection, so i imagine getting them now with being prt of Warner and doing a million lego games is a bit of a task.

Plus sega had their own Sonic & all stars games to get people to.

I'm really hoping we get a sequel to those games. I love them

Opa-Pa

Err, what? They're also available on Android, meaning they're pretty easy to play on a PC (Bluestacks and all that). Sure, a proper PC port would have been great, but saying they're iOS exclusives is plain wrong.

I think that post was more about how they're mobile-exclusive in general.

Releasing enhanced ports of beloved classic console platformers exclusively for mobile is simply nuts either way.

Surta

I think that post was more about how they're mobile-exclusive in general.
Also not true, because Android isn't exclusive to mobile devices. Remember the Ouya? ;)
Just a few days ago, I played Taxman's Sonic 2 on an Amazon Fire TV stick. One-handed, using the plain Fire TV remote. Worked surprisingly well, but I wouldn't want to play the entire game that way. Luckily it's easy enough to use a Bluetooth game controller...

Is Sonic R any good? Never played it. really digging the soundtrack though

It's pretty fun for what it is, but I ONLY recommend the GC version and in Gems as a whole since I think it's the only one ever with 4-player support, and it feels like a good compilation title, but not really a good standalone one, depending on price.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong and it had 4-players before, PS2 had 2-only.

Well, still, they haven't been officially released for all the consoles and shit, even though Sonic CD was.

It's pretty fun for what it is, but I ONLY recommend the GC version and in Gems as a whole since I think it's the only one ever with 4-player support, and it feels like a good compilation title, but not really a good standalone one, depending on price.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong and it had 4-players before, PS2 had 2-only.
The Saturn and PS2 versions of the game are the only releases that only support two players. Every other release (PC & GC) has 4 player multiplayer.

Good luck trying to bamboozle three other people into playing Sonic R, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom