• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Denuvo DRM cracked

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
lol that 1.9 hours tho

Two-hour playtime grace period for Steam refunds.

And it's ridiculous that a bunch of sycophants defended the delay, positing that they actually were fixing something, when based on activity all they did was add the DRM. So lame.

FWIW, there are a handful of fixes/changes in the PC version compared to console right now.

I'm not sure what the timeline of events matters here. The decision is boneheaded no matter when it was made.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Such a shame what they did to the PC release. I just don't understand it. This never works and we know it for sure right now.

Not being day and date always costs sales, day one technical issues always cost sales. It's honestly not that hard to get right and yet publishers keep chasing his magic DRM rabbit around.

It's crazy to me this keeps happening when all the evidence points hard in the other direction

Not gonna get stuck with a license on broken Nintendo hardware that I HAVE to send in to Nintendo if I ever want to play again. That's fucking ridiculous.

Well at least with that Nintendo hardware: the license is stored on your My Nintendo account. Digital game licenses aren't tied to hardware for Switch.

That is really disappointing because this is a perfect offline game. I like having a lot of simple, light games in my Steam library because I can also play them on my older laptop and play them anywhere.

Woo-Fu

Banned
DRM doesn't fucking work game companies and it only ends up punishing the honest player. Get it trought your thick skulls.

They have the numbers and you don't. Odds are pretty good they're getting some benefit from their investment or they wouldn't keep doing it(unless they're Microsoft).

It is like a match made in hell? A new 2d sonic game winning big with fans and rate high and it would be the last game I expect to pull stuff like this. Would be more inclined to believe they go with gog drm free. Is Twitter sonic especially silent Now? Lol

Bad Sega bad.

StereoVsn

Well at least with that Nintendo hardware: the license is stored on your My Nintendo account. Digital game licenses aren't tied to hardware for Switch.
So you can get a second Switch and install on that? Thought it was still locked but they can restore licenses easier.

Aretak

They have the numbers and you don't. Odds are pretty good they're getting some benefit from their investment or they wouldn't keep doing it(unless they're Microsoft).
They don't have "the numbers" because "the numbers" don't exist. It's literally impossible to say how sales figures would have been by comparison in an alternate reality that doesn't exist. And the idea that you can compare between different games with and without Denuvo is apparently a non-starter, since Sega themselves recently released a couple of long-awaited titles on PC, which didn't have Denuvo. Those damn dirty pirates must have had a field day, right?

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-appears-to-be-really-happy-with-the-pc-sales-of-bayonetta/

...oh.

Kuga

I dodged a bullet by refunding my preorder a couple weeks ago on rumors that 3rd party DRM was going to be added.

Sega will not get my money until they remove the DRM and discount the game via a sale or something similar (there is no way I am rewarding them by paying full price after this fiasco). Hopefully they will learn the right lessons when the PC version significantly under-performs their expectations.

Fancolors

Anyone else having controller issues? Trying to use a DS4. I've got it enabled in Steam, and I have the recommended DS4 profile for Sonic Mania set up. It navigates big picture mode no problems. But it just won't recognise it in game though.
Had this with a dinput controller that Steam Big Picture recognized but the game didn't. What I did to make it work was to manually assign keyboard inputs to each controller button. It seems like they are gonna fix it eventually, but this is what works for me so far.

Unai

Had this with a dinput controller that Steam Big Picture recognized but the game didn't. What I did to make it work was to manually assign keyboard inputs to each controller button. It seems like they are gonna fix it eventually, but this is what works for me so far.

Weird. My DS4 worked out of the box with the game.

MUnited83

For you.

Eh, no, they really, really don't.
If they did, why all the the shitload of years including DRM that was cracked in the exact same day? Sometimes literally one hour after release. Did they "have the numbers" to justify those as well? No, they didn't. And yet they kept on doing it
time and time again
and again
and again
and again

Maybe. Or maybe it's just executives who want to be able to say they did something.

Maybe. Or maybe it's just executives who want to be able to say they did something.

Pretty much. If sales are down and you have no drm, people can ignore other potential reasons and just point the finger and say you should have drm'd it to the gills and then it would have sold great.

Tizoc

The ๖ۜBronx;247320989 said:
Thanks. It's hard to tell who's angry at DRM in general or whether it's actually affecting Sonic Mania negatively.

I'd say try it for yourself, Valve gives steam purchases 2 hours before they could refund a game, and a 30 minute session ought to be enough to see if the Denuvo DRM or performance on your rig is affected.

Anyone else having controller issues? Trying to use a DS4. I've got it enabled in Steam, and I have the recommended DS4 profile for Sonic Mania set up. It navigates big picture mode no problems. But it just won't recognise it in game though.

I use Input Mapper and had no issues :X

Nope.

/Removes from Steam wishlist

Or keep it there until Denuvo DRM is removed, because at least 1 game did just that.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought it was common for Steam games to have Denuvo for release day / week, then remove it after the initial weeks. Is that not the case?

They should make it clear that it's in, however.

And yet idiots online make the argument that developers are the ones pushing for Denuvo while defending Denuvo. Yeah fucking right.

This made me cancel my collector's edition order. Ridiculous. I'm sick of putting my purchases at inherent risk in the unfortunate event that they abandon the service like they did with SecuROM or don't pay the AWS bill.

prudislav

I thought it was common for Steam games to have Denuvo for release day / week, then remove it after the initial weeks. Is that not the case?
its rarely the case:
- Doom, Inside, RiME, 2Dark - after it got cracked
- Homefront 2 - for PR before sale
- Hitman - when they divorced with Squeenix
- Titranfall 2 , ME Andromeda - kinda randomly but still have strong origin drm

Rest still has it ... so basically couple indies + Doom removed it after crack and some AAAs did it for other reasons

poncle

Well, not buying until DRM is removed. Actually, not buying until DRM is removed AND it's on sale, that 2 weeks delay just to add DRM is ridiculous.

Robin64

So you can get a second Switch and install on that? Thought it was still locked but they can restore licenses easier.

You have to deactivate your first Switch to install on a second. So while you can install on any Switch you can log in to, you can only have one as your active Switch at any one time. If you can't deactivate your old one for whatever reason, you're back to ringing up Nintendo like the old days.

Unvelievable that they'd put this on the developers and the fans. I hope the criticism reaches Sega Europe.

You want to believe that this PR fiasco for the PC version makes Denuvo cost more then they gain from it. Even though that of course is not an argument that all executives will listen to.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
- Titranfall 2 , ME Andromeda - kinda randomly but still have strong origin drm

Origin DRM is just client tethering a la Steam. In point of fact, with pirated copies of Titanfall 2 and Unravel now out in the wild, all Origin games have been cracked.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Duffk1ng

Doesn`t Denuvo only requires an activation in certain periods?

Yes, iirc Denuvo basically patches the exe with missing code that is specifically geared to your processor environment, right down to the processor manufacturing batch if it has small differences to another processing batch of the same model, then authenticates intermittently to check integrity. Assuming that the checks are placed sensibly (i.e. you didn't develop RiME) there shouldn't be any major performance hit.

Paragon

Doesn`t Denuvo only requires an activation in certain periods?
Developers have a habit of pushing <100KB updates every few days the first few weeks of release to force reactivation.
MGS:V had me reactivating it every day right near release.

I would be less concerned about Denuvo if developers/publishers would commit to its removal 3, 6, 12 months after release.
There are many games which have been cracked, but still use it.
I don't want this to end up like older DRM schemes where you now have companies selling cracked games because they no longer have the original DRM-free executables.

Dunkley

https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/30/so...rm-and-requires-an-online-connection-on-boot/

Good to see that PC gamers doesn`t accept this nonsense.

Do the game really requires an online connection on boot? This isn`t how Denuvo normally works, is it?

Popped Steam into offline mode (while still having the computer connected to the internet) and got this when trying to launch the game:

gPa0Az5.png

Unplugging my internet cable while being online on Steam and trying to launch the game gives you the exact same error.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Developers have a habit of pushing <100KB updates every few days the first few weeks of release to force reactivation.
MGS:V had me reactivating it every day right near release.

I would be less concerned about Denuvo if developers/publishers would commit to its removal 3, 6, 12 months after release.
There are many games which have been cracked, but still use it.
I don't want this to end up like older DRM schemes where you now have companies selling cracked games because they no longer have the original DRM-free executables.

Yeah, but you have to be connected to download these updates. As long as I can activate offline mode, and stay offline for a longer period, I should be fine.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Popped Steam into offline mode (while still having the computer connected to the internet) and got this when trying to launch the game:

gPa0Az5.png

Unplugging my internet cable while being online on Steam and trying to launch the game gives you the exact same error.

"Logged in" not "Be online". Could be a bug, or could be that SEGA had other ideas before the whole thing backfired. Now they are supposingly fixing the "bug".

Paragon

Yeah, but you have to be connected to download these updates. As long as I can activate offline mode, and stay offline for a longer period, I should be fine.
They're so small that any time the system is connected to a network, it downloads the updates before you can blink. It's only when you go to launch the game later without a connection that you notice it.

prudislav

Origin DRM is just client tethering a la Steam. In point of fact, with pirated copies of Titanfall 2 and Unravel now out in the wild, all Origin games have been cracked.
nope Fifa 16 remains
and iirc Origin also has some included DRM layer similarly how CEG had DRM layer for steam ... its definitely not just client tethering (judging by the lack of fast Sims 4 dlc releases) ... iirc one of the piracy groups called it EACore but who knows

MaLDo

Enable controller IN steam MEANS: I will play a game that didn't support controllers and I want Steam to take control of my controller and use it to emulate keyboard and mouse inputs so the game could be playable.

controller Profiles in steam are the relation of the controller buttons and the keys and mouse functions you want to use.

If you want to play a game that has controller support, the better way is to disable any controller functionality in steam.

The steam controller support is awesome for old games but is producing some confusion for current games.

zbarron

Yeah we know Microsoft would be illogical but Sega is well known for it's business acumen.

Also what numbers? You can't measure lost sales since by definition they aren't real numbers. When companies try they usually consider 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale which is laughable.

I've already beat this game on the Switch so all this did was save me some money since I'll no longer be double dipping.

Top Bottom