• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Dev Headcannon Says He's Broke, Recent Kickstarter a "Spectacular Failure"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If he worked in the IT field he wouldn’t have had a lot of issues making money. I guess that’s the sucky part about it all. Either you’re incredibly wealthy from your video game accomplishments or you’re living off someone’s couch. I’ve met IT guys making six figures and this man seems like he has a good set of computer skills.

Last edited:
Really sad to see this, he is a super talented guy (as is his team) and Sonic Mania is an amazing game. I cannot understand why Sega did not book him for a second Sonic Mania, as it apparently sold really well, too.

I'm too lazy to search for it. But apparently, there's a ton of drama surrounding the development of Sonic Mania 2 (it got canceled)

I think Sonic Team didn't like that SM essentially overshadowed Sonic Forces or something along those lines and there were communication issues between both the devs and Sega.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If he worked in the IT field he wouldn’t have had a lot of issues making money. I guess that’s the sucky part about it all. Either you’re incredibly wealthy from your video game accomplishments or you’re living off someone’s couch. I’ve met IT guys making six figures and this man seems like he has a good set of computer skills.
His issue may not be making money. It could be how he manages the money he makes. Being your own boss is hard and expensive and many people who work for themselves can't pay themselves because they fund their business first.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Just letting aspiring developers know what they’re in for if they intend to sell a mostly standard 2D platformer:

9I4Eqfk0zu1tCvegQva0hz5cMkSvvNjDIR4P_uCZpYl2c1ZOtNqU0RX4zqp-BZatZHka2MJd1JDAdhXMAMFdigusE49Z-l7gN6YumIwoOvjAa_pEbr9s3v5kUGl3Ar08vrduGdj9
Wow, card games are the shit, then.

Ristifer

Mania was essentially a cut down Origins. It was mostly OLD levels anyway. Unless it would be all original it wouldn't even matter.
I don't see how it's a cut down Origins when it actually shook up the old zones and added new ones. Origins is just the classics in widescreen with easy modes for casuals.

Fake

how the fuck can you produce the best sonic game in that decade and be broke? he must have had the worst contract, if not ever.
I'm too lazy to search for it. But apparently, there's a ton of drama surrounding the development of Sonic Mania 2 (it got canceled)

I think Sonic Team didn't like that SM essentially overshadowed Sonic Forces or something along those lines and there were communication issues between both the devs and Sega.

Last edited:

Synless

So instead of being humbled and trying to learn from someone else’s success with a franchise they have fucked for years they got bitter and got the sequel shut down.

Ristifer

So instead of being humbled and trying to learn from someone else’s success with a franchise they have fucked for years they got bitter and got the sequel shut down.
Pretty much. I'm sure Frontiers will finally be Sonic Team's crowning achievement, though... /s

Kssio_Aug

how the fuck can you produce the best sonic game in that decade and be broke? he must have had the worst contract, if not ever.
I will really not judge the guy, because I don't have details of his private life. But simply knowing that a) he worked on Sonic Mania, and b) he is broken; is not nearly enough data to assume his contract was that bad.

He says in the video that he was already indebted before working on Sonic, and that what he was paid for actually helped him to buy another car and pay some of his debts. We don't know how he and his family handles income, and how much he was owing before working on Sonic to begin with. As others have said, he worked with a team which apparently some other devs are doing fine today.

Things are not easy, I know this for a fact. But if he's not already doing it, he really should send his resume to work on a more stable job. Working on Sonic Mania really might help him a lot finding a good one.

Wish the guy the best though.

What's with what insulting? Never have I insulted this guy 🤔
As someone that comes from a country with pretty high unemployment country I can tell you this. If you want job, meaning that you'll take even a sh**ty jobs and use the time to search restlessly a couple of months, you'll find work. I send over 80 applications only to had 6 intervues and got 1 job offer to find a work a couple of years ago. That's why I can sleep in my own appartment.

Um, I'm sorry but, if that's really the expected ratio of applications to interviews, then to job offers, is it really any wonder that a lot of people give up?

I thought I was having it bad when I got a job offer (Not a good job, mind, but an offer!) after 10 applications and 3 interviews.

daffyduck

If he worked in the IT field it wouldn’t be any better. I guess that’s the sucky part about it all. Either you’re incredibly wealthy from your IT accomplishments or you’re living off someone’s couch. I’ve met IT guys making six figures an
FTFY. IT is saturated.

jaysius

Banned
- used the Sonic Mania money (which was paid on a development milestone basis, so didn't get a share of the sales)

It's in the OP, I know reading is really hard especially when you've already formulated your answer from reading the thread title without reading any of the OP.

Um, I'm sorry but, if that's really the expected ratio of applications to interviews, then to job offers, is it really any wonder that a lot of people give up?

I thought I was having it bad when I got a job offer (Not a good job, mind, but an offer!) after 10 applications and 3 interviews.
That was one of my first jobs, mind you. I didn't have a lot of things in my CV.

That's not necessarily true. We see people winning the lottery or professional athletes who make millions, only to be broke a few years later.

I'm not saying that's the case for this guy, but him having had money issues, doesn't mean Sega ripped him off. It's more likely he felt above getting a "regular" programming job, as I have little doubt he could have been hired, as game developers are currently highly sought after.

This is more evident now, by the fact he has chosen to work with Sega again on a Sonic remaster.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Depends on the job.

When I was starting my career 20+ years ago, job offers were easy the first 10+ years changing companies every so often. My batting average was literally about 1/3. Every 3 interviews by companies, one of them would offer me a job.

But at my current job, it gets tougher as you move up as the job is literally one high level job available. Some of those other jobs back then might had had two available so I'd get one of them.

Interviews come and go, but no offers even when I made it to the end with 5+ interviews at the same company. Social media made applications easy to apply. Most jobs I apply to publicly posted have at least 50 people applying in Linkedin alone. And that excludes all other applications they get from other websites, their own career site, recruiters finding people and internal workers going after the job. There actually might be 100 people applying.

Last edited:

Kikorin

Sonic Mania has been my favourite Sonic game in ages, and also the first really good Sonic games in years. Crazy they didn't tried to hire this guy.

EDMIX

Wow, card games are the shit, then.

Yup. I think this is a sober thing to look at to remind people that you need to go off of facts vs assumptions. If someone is making a business, they need this hard objective information to tell if their product REALLY makes sense and is really popular. For example, I didn't know Battle Royale stuff made up such a small number compared to all those. So shit, for all I know some Card Game idea is not only sound, but is trending, people are looking for the next best one etc.

Business is what you make of it and for all we know someone can move massive numbers on the simplest card game with some social concept.

DavJay

Kickstarter is what it is named. To help kick start, not fund an entire project. Most are these are set way too high hoping they can work on a dream project for free. Sucks what happen to them though.

Top Bottom