• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Rivals Website/Sonic 360 Advert

D-X

http://sonicrivals.sega-europe.com/en/index.html

Rivals music, gameplay modes, 4 bosses and 6 Zones revealed.

Sonic-Next-gen-Ad.jpg

TV ad

The-Sonic-Age-1.jpg

The-Sonic-Age-2.jpg

The-Sonic-Age-3.jpg

more on the ad here

http://sonic-city.typepad.com/blog/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, what are the release dates for these two? I thought Sonic was due out at PS3 launch (with 360 release around that time or earlier)? What about the PSP game?

dark10x said:
Wait, what are the release dates for these two? I thought Sonic was due out at PS3 launch (with 360 release around that time or earlier)? What about the PSP game?

They're European ads for this game.

Rlan

The music for Sonic Rivals is actually pretty good. Though I'm still very dissapointed that they're not using Hideki Naganuma :(

Looking through the SEGA FTP recently though, I think this picture accurately portrays my feelings for the gameplay for both titles:

drrobotnik2my2.jpg

MegaTen

Banned
Seems like an awesome commercial . The ad doesnt include any post-apocalyptic scenes or humans, but I'm sure the haters will find something to bitch about.

D-X

dark10x said:

According to Sega US site
Sonic Rivals - 11/21/06
Sonic The Hedgehog - X360: 11/14/06 - PS3: Holiday 2006 (12/19/06 according to amazon)

Sega Europe
Sonic Rivals - 01/12/06
Sonic The Hedgehog - X360: 24/11/06 - PS3: Presumably March cos Sony hates Europe

As for the glowing quote from XBox 360 isn't there a a magazine called that? Or it's a placeholder.

The poster reminds me of the boxart of Sonic CD... If it comes in just close after that game (wich is kinda overrated, but a cool game overall) I would be more than happy.

JamesE

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I just want some GAF impressions when it releases. I still have to finish Sonic Heroes come to think of it..........

Or just watch the cut scenes on YouTube. Seriously, that game is not worth playing unless Christopher-San forces you to at gunpoint. (Note: please disregard if you have a Sonic Team-esque fetish for pit deaths).

Christopher

JamesE said:
Or just watch the cut scenes on YouTube. Seriously, that game is not worth playing unless Christopher-San forces you to at gunpoint. (Note: please disregard if you have a Sonic Team-esque fetish for pit deaths).

:mad:

Let's give it a chance past the inital impressions of those who played the demo for 5 minutes at e3, and the first level released.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Note: please disregard if you have a Sonic Team-esque fetish for pit deaths
Believe it or not, some of us are actually able to play the game well and avoid such things.

These games are flawed in the sense that unskilled play is punished in a very harsh manner (often leading the player to believe the game is completely at fault). When you come to understand the mechanics and are able to make use of them, however, the levels presented can be extremely enjoyable.

JamesE

dark10x said:
Believe it or not, some of us are actually able to play the game well and avoid such things.

These games are flawed in the sense that unskilled play is punished in a very harsh manner (often leading the player to believe the game is completely at fault). When you come to understand the mechanics and are able to make use of them, however, the levels presented can be extremely enjoyable.

No, the games are flawed in that they take place 400 miles up in the air for absolutely no reason, have a piss-poor homing attack that can't truly be relied on, and slidey control. They're flawed in that levels are poorly designed, the engines glitch and fail to work properly, and that the tone and art design is usually horrible. "Unskilled play" should not be excessively "punished" in a superfast platformer - it should be allowed for. Previous Sonic games allowed for high-level play without that kind of utter bullshit - and yes Christopher-San I know it isn't 1991 anymore (before you pull out your usual amazing rapier wit) but so solly! It isn't 1996 or 1998 anymore and we deserve games that possess more finesse than first-gen PSOne platformers.

"Coming to understand the mechanics" usually means becoming aware of and denatured to the excessive flaws in the engine and the game design. Yes, I came to understand what not to do, but why should a fast platformer require that kind of vigilance to play at a basic level.

Sonic needs Yasuhara and Oshima to get the design and asthetic strength it once had but they've moved on to better things (Jak and Blue Dragon, respectively). Undiscriminating buyers like you and Christopher will give this franchise the weight it needs to sink to lower depths, barring any kind of miracle of public taste. Gaming needs less apologists.

JamesE

Christopher-san said:
:mad:

Let's give it a chance past the inital impressions of those who played the demo for 5 minutes at e3, and the first level released.

No, how about we buy good games instead?

Firestorm

Why does the commercial look so awesome when we know the game will totally fail?
Oh right, the commerical doesn't show Shadow driving a jeep with a machine gun mounted.

I'll probably buy this and hope to god it doesn't blow. However, it'll be later because Zelda comes out on the 19th.

Also, why is Sonic rated 12+? It's like seeing a T rated Mario game. wtf.

7Th

Netrunner2k2 said:
I'm confused. The ad says "Sonic is back and looking better than ever on Xbox 360" and the quote is from Xbox 360?

The first thing I noticed too. :lol

Neo Child

Banned
Firestorm said:
Why does the commercial look so awesome when we know the game will totally fail?
Oh right, the commerical doesn't show Shadow driving a jeep with a machine gun mounted.

I'll probably buy this and hope to god it doesn't blow. However, it'll be later because Zelda comes out on the 19th.

Also, why is Sonic rated 12+? It's like seeing a T rated Mario game. wtf.

Smash Bros.? Wasnt that a T when it came out?

Ashodin

Anyone else scroll down the forum page and think the title of this thread says "Sonic 360 ALERT"? Bad times are for this game ahead.

MegaTen said:
You do? :lol

I always look for gamers with similar tastes and see what they like. Then i read reviews and watch clips and let some time pass. If I find a demo I try that too. I usually put alot of research into purchases.

Top Bottom