• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Rush is significantly better than Sonic 4

Azure J

The Rush games were some really fun times in that weird era of console Sonic game under performance. There is a lot to the design of both that can be criticized (moreso Rush 1 with its chronic use of bottomless pits in the latter half of the game) but they strived to be an experience divorced from anything 2D Sonic was before while zeroing in on the speed and athleticism of Sonic as the overall driving force.

While I still want to see more efforts to marry what made the Genesis titles such classics to modern game design, I would certainly not object to more alt takes like Rush.

Also Hideki Naganuma should compose everything ever. Fuck your favorite VGM composer, they're just sample fodder for the god.

I personally loved Sonic Rush's physics for how absurdesque they were when you took a deep look.

The most memorable aspect was that under certain circumstances your falling speed transferred more or less linearly into your running speed even when you fell straight down onto platform. Or am I misremembering? This felt awesome.

Azure J

I personally loved Sonic Rush's physics for how absurdesque they were when you took a deep look.

The most memorable aspect was that under certain circumstances your falling speed transferred more or less linearly into your running speed even when you fell straight down onto platform. Or am I misremembering? This felt awesome.

Nah, you have it more or less right. Some of the best moments to see this in play in Rush 1 were in the first level (Leaf Storm Act 1) if you did the segment with the rolling ball right and Altitude Limit Zone at the beginning/on multiple grind rail sections. Actually IIRC, if you did a boost in certain situations after doing this, it would cap your speed at the top speed of the boost versus whatever speed you'd get running normally.

Dunkley

Turd-flavored candy-bar is significantly better than shit soaked spongecake. At least, that's how I read the topic.

Um, was Sonic 4 ever finished? I was going to try it out, but I didn't like them releasing only part of the game. Then, I completely lost interest.

So I hate to be this kinda person, but let me get this straight: You call out Sonic 4 and follow up with saying you never played it?

I'd wager my guess on you never having played Sonic Rush either.

Please don't be one of these people who are dead set on Sonic sucking ass since the Genesis games. Even if the modern games aren't quite as impressive for their time in comparison, Sonic still has, while flawed in one way or the other, some pretty enjoyable and good games, and Sonic Rush is definitely one of the higher ups there.

fhqwhgads

People calling Rush and Adventure bad? Blasphemy.
Both games are really fun, they both have their flaws but they're still solid games with Adventure ranking slightly better in my book. The amount of backtracking you need to do and the sub par boss fights hold it back from being on the same level as something like Generations.

Dr. Buni

Water is wet.

It doesn't take much to be better than Sonic 4. Sonic 4 aside, Sonic Rush is a fun game. Love the soundtrack. Now Rush Adventure was rather underwhelming.

XaosWolf

I'd love some more sonic rush(blaze themes are almost always superior) or an continuation of the advance series.

<3 Chaos angel.

Original Groove Rush has taught me that Blazy Mix's are best when they're seamlessly transitioned into from their Sonic versions.

Jeh Jeh Rocket is my absolute favourite. Followed by the "Let's Just Remix the End of Level Jingle Into It" theme: Get Edgy

Azure J

Original Groove Rush has taught me that Blazy Mix's are best when they're seamlessly transitioned into from their Sonic versions.

Jeh Jeh Rocket is my absolute favourite. Followed by the "Let's Just Remix the End of Level Jingle Into It" theme: Get Edgy

The OGR taught me that:

- Altitude Limit Zone's stage theme (Get Edgy) can't be cut off before the segment that loops the song again. The bass buildup is just too good.
- It's a shame that as per Naganuma himself on Twitter, there is no "Digital Remaster Trax" or higher quality version of Get Edgy (profound sadness)
- The Game Over theme is too funky to be a game over theme
- Vela Nova both loses and gains something in its transition from the DS version to the Digital Remakin' Trax version.
- Wrapped In Black is GOAT tier final boss music. Part 2 specifically is so intense.

GamerJM

Banned
I didn't like Rush, iirc its level design just felt kinda off. I actually like Sonic 4 quite a bit despite the janky physics.

HUELEN10

Modern Sonic in Generations 3DS is basically Sonic Rush.
Are you serious? not even close.

And yes, not even Colors DS is as good as Rush. Why the fuck did they haveto put the homing attack on the same buton as jump? It was fine on the shoulder like before, at least give me the option to change it back!

So I hate to be this kinda person, but let me get this straight: You call out Sonic 4 and follow up with saying you never played it?

I'd wager my guess on you never having played Sonic Rush either.

Please don't be one of these people who are dead set on Sonic sucking ass since the Genesis games. Even if the modern games aren't quite as impressive for their time in comparison, Sonic still has, while flawed in one way or the other, some pretty enjoyable and good games, and Sonic Rush is definitely one of the higher ups there.

Sorry, that's exactly what I am, but I'll go even further... the Genesis games weren't that great either. Also, I don't need to play them to know they're trash. Watching a few videos is enough to let me know that these are garbage games.

Davey Cakes

Sonic Rush works because it's not supposed to be Sonic the Hedgehog 4. As in, the physics and level design were tuned to fast-paced pure adrenaline-pumping platforming.

Sonic 4, if it was meant to pay homage to its predecessors, should have been designed around the somewhat more restricted philosophy of the original Sonic games.

I feel like Sonic had a bit of an identity crisis going through the Advance games. Sonic Advance 1 was okay and more like a classic Sonic game, but Advance 2 and 3 definitely went a bit crazy with the focus on speed, giving some stages the "press right to win" feel and others the "these level designs and enemy placements don't fit how fast I'm going" feel.

Thus, those games were frustrating.

But Rush came along and fixed that. It basically said "okay, we're going to be a Sonic RUSH game first and foremost." The game knew what it wanted to be and benefited.

Ferr986

I dunno, Rush had a really sloppy level design. Basically it boils down to "boost boost" then a lame platforming section with bottomless pits everywhere then "boost boost" again.
Also, levels were too damn long. Rush Adventure had slightly better level design tbh.

The music is god tier though.

Colors and Generations (Sonic Team versions), while using the same gameplay, atleast have more interesting level layout.

Best Dimps Sonic is still Pocket Adventure.

- Vela Nova both loses and gains something in its transition from

Yeah I kinda like the DS version more here.

RiZ III

Sonic Rush can be a great games at times but it can also be an extremely frustrating one. Some of the level design is just fucking evil. I'll going a thousand miles per hour and suddenly hit some stupid enemy behind which is a conveniently placed pit. Fuuuuuuuuu. Also, I hated the music.

JimboJones

Rush was a great sub series, wasn't trying to be classic sonic but it's own thing.

I really enjoyed it, it felt like a rythem game sometimes with the great soundtrack and the way you really had to learn the level layouts to take advantage of places to earn boost and dodge traps and enemies.

They tried to make sonic 4 with rush physics though which made it feel like crap. Which is surprising since the advance games felt spot on in that regard.

TreIII

The Advance series was the last time I truly enjoyed a Sonic game, with the first game the one I valued the most.

Rush is...okay. But to me, it just furthered Sonic down a road that I was not interested in following him down.

Sami+

Sonic 4 tried to be something it wasn't, whereas Rush completely embraced its identity and did it well. Loved Rush, hated 4.

I do prefer the added vocals in Vela Nova. It kinda makes me wish DIMPS still did these games.

Dimps still makes Sonic games, but they're all shit now. Rush (arguably Rush Adventure) was the last good one. Besides, music's got nothing to do with them - just cross your fingers for another Naganuma OST.

FLAguy954

I didn't enjoy Sonic Rush or its sequel.

Sonic Colors DS and Sonic Generations 3DS are the best damn 2D Sonic games in recent memory, however. Both of them are just amazing and sleeper hits imo.

Sami+

I didn't enjoy Sonic Rush or its sequel.

Sonic Colors DS and Sonic Generations 3DS are the best damn 2D Sonic games in recent memory, however. Both of them are just amazing and sleeper hits imo.

... Huh. I feel the exact opposite lol. I didn't care for Rush Adventure, hated Colors and Gens (3)DS, but Rush is one of my favorite Sonic games. The only things I specifically remember disliking were the story and the forced combat sections.

I don't like the Sonic series very much, but Sonic Rush is my absolute favorite DS game. It's top-notch in energy, music, action, music, speed, and let's not forget the music.

I mean, it isn't perfect, but I was really super surprised by the game when it first came out. I can play one zone over and over and the experience won't get stale or old (depending on the zone).

I LOVE Sonic Rush. It finally gave me that pure adrenaline rush I'd been wanting but never quite got in previous games. This and Sonic 2 are my faves.

jman2050

Sonic Rush is a very bad classic Sonic game but that's okay because it's not supposed to be a classic Sonic game at all. As a fast-paced timing-based racing platformer centered entirely around its boost mechanic and trick system it does a stupendous job being a fun game to play. Still one of my favorite DS titles.

Sonic 4 is middling but this isn't exactly noteworthy, haven't played its sequel.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Rush a lot. The Naganuma soundtrack was definitely the best part about it though.

Indeed, the soundtrack pretty much makes it, although it's a perfectly solid spin-off game in its own right.

I'd love to see what they could do with another Rush on 3DS.
They would have to bring back Naganuma, though. What's he up to these days?

_Dog_

Neo Member
I find it amusing that people like Rush despite being responsible for what 4 is. Doesn't seem to make any sense to love one and hate the other despite having the same physics (and nothing like the classic physics of the Genesis games). Nostalgia goes a long way.

goldenpp72

Not sure why you'd bump this topic, however It's weird to compare Sonic Rush to 4. The issue with 4 was trying to shoe horn surface level 'Genesis Sonic' like design on top of physics/designs not meant to play like that. Rush works really well in its own game and was designed well, even if you dislike it.

4 is pretty sloppy in comparison, however people seem to forget that Dimps also made Advance which felt much more like a Genesis Sonic title. At least I think they did, been awhile.

Codes 208

Not sure why you'd bump this topic, however It's weird to compare Sonic Rush to 4. The issue with 4 was trying to shoe horn surface level 'Genesis Sonic' like design on top of physics/designs not meant to play like that. Rush works really well in its own game and was designed well, even if you dislike it.

4 is pretty sloppy in comparison, however people seem to forget that Dimps also made Advance which felt much more like a Genesis Sonic title. At least I think they did, been awhile.
Definitely. Sonic rush atleast felt like a natural evolution of the advanced games and had some beautiful designs for a DS game (not to mention wrapped in black is one of my favorite final boss tracks in the series.)

JimboJones

Rush was kick ass, of course it's better. Still the best example of boost style Sonic gameplay. 4 was some throwaway mobile game ported to consoles and given way to much attention.

lol, didn't realise it was a necrobump.

Last edited:
I broke my original DS´ d-pad with Sonic Rush. Time attack was great, levels flowed well enough, was the last great Sonic game I played until Mania. Sonic 4 was a piece o shit. I actually kinda think Sega regrets doing Sonic 4 at that point in time, now that they got the Mania guys there's never been a better opportunity to continue the numbered entries. IF those guys wanna do more that is.

Shifty

Goddamn, some of the hot takes in here.

Sonic Rush was awesome in 2015 and still is now.

Last edited:
I haven't played Sonic 4, but I legit loved Sonic Rush. Great level design, superfast 2D gameplay, gorgeous visuals, fantastic soundtrack, a new character that doesn't suck balls in Blaze, and inventive boss battles that utilize both 2D and 3D perspectives. They could have called this one Sonic 4, and I wouldn't have objected. It does for Sonic what New Super Mario Bros. did for Mario: It takes a franchise back to its roots while being a great game in its own right. With games like this and Sonic Generations, I've come to the realization that Sonic actually hasn't been uniformly terrible after Adventure 2, just hit or miss.

Griss

I actually like the first Sonic Advance game. It had proper 2d Sonic physics and some decent level design. Aside from some annoying bottomless pits at the end, the levels had a good mixture of speed and platforming.

Then they release Advance 2 and it is level memorization and hold right to win. Dimps never really recovered from that. Sonic 4 (both episodes) is the worst sonic game they developed, and Sega should be embarrassed that they considered that turd a sequel to S3&K.

This is exactly my take. Sonic Advance was fantastic and I thought it laid out a blueprint for the future, but they messed up Sonic Advance 2 and from there it was steep downhill. The series didn't recover until Sonic Mania, which while good is a safe nostalgia game.

At least the likes of Advance 2 and Rush were playable, though. Rush was braindead but it was passable enjoyment. Sonic 4 didn't reach that bar, imo, due to the shitty gamefeel and physics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom