• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Spinball - Pinball Mayhem!

I always liked Sonic Spinball from the time I rented it. I never understood when I got online and it was considered absolute garbage by so many people.

RK128

I always liked Sonic Spinball from the time I rented it. I never understood when I got online and it was considered absolute garbage by so many people.

The controls and physics for Sonic is likely why so many are split with the game. Like I said before, you could make it better by setting the speed to 'fast' but that still doesn't fully solve the control problems the game has, so if you can't get used to it.....then you might be in for a bad time :(.

I enjoyed the game too and find it to be a lot of fun! But it has issues and I can understand that preventing people from fully enjoying the game.

Happy you loved your time with it and thank you for posting in this thread :D!

Don't really like the game to be honest. As others have mentioned, the physics just felt completely off and Sonic feels much heavier and sluggish than he usually his. I didn't know about the second speed, which I suppose would fix some of the game's issues. It's a strange choice that they make the default the sluggish one.

I'm also just not a huge pinball fan. Sonic Pinball Party, which was pretty well acclaimed for being a great pinball game, couldn't even win me over. Pokemon Pinball is about the only pinball game I've ever enjoyed.

ChaosXVI

Loved this game when I was a kid, but it was waaaaay harder than any other Sonic game of the era. I beat it a few times when I a young but I haven't been able to get past the 4th level since I was like 16 whenever I've picked it up.

Also it always drove me nuts that on the boxart for the Genesis version it is clearly the typical Genesis style for Robotnik, but the Game Gear version has near identical artwork, but featuring the American AoStH styled Robotnik. Why not just use the same boxart for both games? Just a minor thing that annoyed me as a child.

RK128

Don't really like the game to be honest. As others have mentioned, the physics just felt completely off and Sonic feels much heavier and sluggish than he usually his. I didn't know about the second speed, which I suppose would fix some of the game's issues. It's a strange choice that they make the default the sluggish one.

I'm also just not a huge pinball fan. Sonic Pinball Party, which was pretty well acclaimed for being a great pinball game, couldn't even win me over. Pokemon Pinball is about the only pinball game I've ever enjoyed.

It is a strange design choice I must say :(.

Pinball is really based on the 'feel' and the design of the tables. If one is 'off', then the whole game suffers. But if both 'click' with you, the entire game is a blast to play.

RK128

Loved this game when I was a kid, but it was waaaaay harder than any other Sonic game of the era. I beat it a few times when I a young but I haven't been able to get past the 4th level since I was like 16 whenever I've picked it up.

Also it always drove me nuts that on the boxart for the Genesis version it is clearly the typical Genesis style for Robotnik, but the Game Gear version has near identical artwork, but featuring the American AoStH styled Robotnik. Why not just use the same boxart for both games? Just a minor thing that annoyed me as a child.

Likely to link it to the AoStH cartoon or something.....but still, the game is more rooted within it being a hybrid between Sega Sonic and Satam Sonic.....so if anything, they should of has Satam Robotnik as the Game Gear cover if they wanted to do that kind of thing.

Glowsquid

The Option menu theme is the greatest piece of music in the entire Sonic saga.

found the game boring af otherwise, tbh. Post #46 pretty much describes my feelings about it perfectly.

goldenpp72

I enjoy the game myself. I beat it as a kid and the last boss gave me nightmares lol. I revisit it sometimes but have not beaten it for a couple decades. Kinda crazy.

Luigi87

This game. This freaking game! One of the only two Genesis games I owned as a kid (the Sonic 1 being the other) and man... I could never beat it! I always got to the last stage, but I could never do it >_<

Also Normal and Fast control modes... dang, I think I remember those, but I don't think I ever selected Fast as a kid. Realizing now maybe I should have.

lazygecko

Not just the music. That screech the bosses do is from like 8th level of hell

Yeah those screechy noises are the worst. And it's such a common sound design pitfall on the system, especially for western devs. Also that dry sounding brass with the harsh gaps inbetween the notes, which felt like it was in nearly every damn western soundtrack.

It's a common pitfall because the easiest, most straightfoward method of getting noisy sound effects with the sound chip is to more or less just max out all the parameters on the synthesizer. And the prevalence of those instantly "gratifying" methods is largely responsible for giving the sound chip such an unfair reputation. Compare them to the sound effects in Revenge of Shinobi for example, where everything including naturally harsh stuff like explosions sound so damn smooth and pleasing. Koshiro did a lot of thinking outside the box when programming those and thus it's one of the finest examples of all time for 16-bit sound design, even for such an early gen title.

Khaz

I never played the game back in the days. All the screenshots I saw was of the sewers level and it just put me off. I played it five minutes ago and I'm glad to see there are more than one level. I reached the second table and then I died with a score of 16 399 000. I've set the speed at fast immediately and didn't feel it was sluggish, I should try again with the normal speed I suppose.

Controls are a bit awkward, I'm not used to control the left flipper with my right hand. A Saturn controller would be ideal with it, with the two bumper buttons to control the flippers and the cross and face buttons to control sonic. Without bumper buttons I would rather have had the face buttons for sonic jump and right flipper, and the directional cross for sonic movements and left flipper.

Otherwise I got a good first impression out of it. I will get the cartridge when I get the chance. PAL release is region locked and "PAL optimised", with black bars on top and bottom of the screen, but music playing at the correct tempo at 50Hz, and the gameplay speed seems unaffected by the switch. PAL gamers with a non-modded console should have the same experience as US gamers bar a slightly vertically challenged screen. The gameplay is difficult to assess on this type of games. However there is no escaping import+switch to play an unaltered version in PAL regions.

Really enjoyed the game, I should replay iy, it has been so, so long.
My main gripe was that for some reason sonic controlled like shit when on the ground, which fortunately didn't happen often. I always wondered why he didn't control like in the other games when walking.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's hard as rocks to beat though.

Yep. That final boss level is true hell. I don't think I've ever beaten it because of the stupid lava and other things that have you bounce around to hit those spots.

MAtgS

I can't even beat the final boss with save states, that's how messed up it is.

I always liked that it was a pinball game with "real environments", most other pinball video games just have virtual tables but Spinball built the pinball mechanics into proper video game levels & stood out for it. Personally I think Metroid Pinball should've tried for that.

This is a fun little ester egg and as someone who really liked both Satam and the early comics (read up to issue......55 a year or so ago;
Skip ahead to #160, everything in between is the dark ages.

In my humble opinion, if there had to be a Sonic SATAM game, this was the worst option.

I mean, there was this prototype that, althouh slowish, it looked promising.
I personally would of enjoyed a Satam game that was like the other Genesis Sonic's but the other playable characters were the other Freedom Fighters (Rabbot having her bionic parts being able to grabble on points, Sally using Nicole to hack into hidden short cuts, Rotor being able to hack into Robonik's machines, ect).
I think an RPG would be the best route. The biggest disappointment with Chronicles IMO is that it kinda setup a SatAM-like scenario for the sequel but will never get to follow through with it. The Freedom Fighters themselves could've even be worked in as characters that had been fighting Eggman in Sonic's absence. Oh well....

Frankly I'd just be glad if Sega/Sonic Team would aknowlege SatAM/Archie characters a little more. That Sticks from Sonic Boom can get into one of the M&S Olympic titles & not any of them is weird.

RK128

I can't even beat the final boss with save states, that's how messed up it is.

I always liked that it was a pinball game with "real environments", most other pinball video games just have virtual tables but Spinball built the pinball mechanics into proper video game levels & stood out for it. Personally I think Metroid Pinball should've tried for that.

Skip ahead to #160, everything in between is the dark ages.

I think an RPG would be the best route. The biggest disappointment with Chronicles IMO is that it kinda setup a SatAM-like scenario for the sequel but will never get to follow through with it. The Freedom Fighters themselves could've even be worked in as characters that had been fighting Eggman in Sonic's absence. Oh well....

Frankly I'd just be glad if Sega/Sonic Team would aknowlege SatAM/Archie characters a little more. That Sticks from Sonic Boom can get into one of the M&S Olympic titles & not any of them is weird.

Sonic Chronicles is a game filled with missed potential and Bioware not having a sequel despite that blant hint was more annoying then interesting. I have strong thoughts on that game, but it was nice seeing the SWAT bots become foes you and the party fight.

Sticks being in Mario & Sonic is surprising but Boom as a TV show and toys has been doing well; pushing it through that game makes sense as it is a spin-off for Sonic (kinda like the Riders series, which also got playable characters/bosses in Mario & Sonic).

Thank you for the advice for the comic, will get around to the newer issues for sure in the future :D.

RK128

It's actually a song from the beta of Comix Zone, cut from the final product. I'm not sure what it's doing on a Sonic-related album, other than Howard Drossin working on Spinball and Comix Zone (and maybe a track or two from Sonic 3&K, but attributions for that game are nigh impossible to figure out).

Fun fact: Comix Zone is part of the Sonic Mega Collection Plus release on PS2 and Xbox. And Comix Zone, Streets of Rage Trilogy, The Ozz and Bonzai Bros all were part of the Gems Collection in the JP versions.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I remember really wanting to play this as a kid, because damn, a Sonic-themed pinball game sounded so AWESOME.

When I eventually got to play it as an adult it was hard as balls (I can't even beat the first level!) and I hated the controls :p There are some good Sonic spinoffs, like Tails' Adventure, but I'm hesitant to rank this as one of the good spinoffs.

RK128

I remember really wanting to play this as a kid, because damn, a Sonic-themed pinball game sounded so AWESOME.

When I eventually got to play it as an adult it was hard as balls (I can't even beat the first level!) and I hated the controls :p There are some good Sonic spinoffs, like Tails' Adventure, but I'm hesitant to rank this as one of the good spinoffs.

Covering that game in the future, so hope you look forward to that thread :).

Combichristoffersen

Covering that game in the future, so hope you look forward to that thread :).

I've never finished it, but it's a fine game indeed! Looking forward to the thread.

And unless you're already set on playing it.. Don't play Tails' Sky Patrol :lol:

Rlan

Spinball for iPhone isn't available anymore, due to it crashing on more recent iPhones. Doesn't work on my iPhone 6S anyway.

Jet Set Radio crashes now too.

RK128

I've never finished it, but it's a fine game indeed! Looking forward to the thread.

And unless you're already set on playing it.. Don't play Tails' Sky Patrol :lol:

To late buddy XD! I'm likely just going to play it for a half hour or so to comment on it (plan on making a dual-thread covering both that and Tails Adventure).

RK128

Spinball for iPhone isn't available anymore, due to it crashing on more recent iPhones. Doesn't work on my iPhone 6S anyway.

Jet Set Radio crashes now too.

That bites :(. Hopeful they fix the issues and just don't remove the games off the app store.....and it seems they did that with Spinball X(. Such a shame.

Hopeful the put it back up with the issues are all sorted out.

Fun fact: Comix Zone is part of the Sonic Mega Collection Plus release on PS2 and Xbox. And (I think) Comix Zone is part of Gems Collection for EU regions (PS2 version).
I mean, I already know what you're getting at, but you're kind of off with it. Mega Collection Plus does have it (and The Ooze), but so does vanilla Mega Collection... in Japan. No version of Gems Collection has either game; the not-Sonic games it includes are Vectorman and its sequel in all versions, and Bonanza Bros. and the Streets of Rage trilogy exclusively in the Japanese version.

I'm still sore about them cutting those four games from Gems, though. "Oh, we can't risk the package being rated T!" Yeah, well, all four games in question maxed out at E-10+ when they hit VC, and I'm pretty sure that ESRB rating existed by that point, so... flimsy argument.

RK128

I mean, I already know what you're getting at, but you're kind of off with it. Mega Collection Plus does have it (and The Ooze), but so does vanilla Mega Collection... in Japan. No version of Gems Collection has either game; the not-Sonic games it includes are Vectorman and its sequel in all versions, and Bonanza Bros. and the Streets of Rage trilogy exclusively in the Japanese version.

I'm still sore about them cutting those four games from Gems, though. "Oh, we can't risk the package being rated T!" Yeah, well, all four games in question maxed out at E-10+ when they hit VC, and I'm pretty sure that ESRB rating existed by that point, so... flimsy argument.

That is a shame they gutted the game from Gems Collection :(. Will edit my post and remove the Gems Collection comment.

Combichristoffersen

To late buddy XD! I'm likely just going to play it for a half hour or so to comment on it (plan on making a dual-thread covering both that and Tails Adventure).

Haha, Sky Patrol could be summed up as mediocre at best, awful at worst ;) Adventure is something I'd say is actually worth playing to completion, while Sky Patrol isn't something you should spend more than 30 minutes tops on.

RK128

Haha, Sky Patrol could be summed up as mediocre at best, awful at worst ;) Adventure is something I'd say is actually worth playing to completion, while Sky Patrol isn't something you should spend more than 30 minutes tops on.

Will give Tails Adventure a lot of attention like my other threads, so don't worry buddy :D!

Looking forward to fully playing it for the first time; only played it for a half hour or so when I got the Gems Collection in 2006.

Will give Tails Adventure a lot of attention like my other threads, so don't worry buddy :D!

Looking forward to fully playing it for the first time; only played it for a half hour or so when I got the Gems Collection in 2006.

Tails' Adventure is my favorite Game Gear game. Such a cool game. The Sonic Boom game sort of looked like it, a shame it wasn't even close.

The two levels I could complete were alright but the machine always kicked my arse. Its a shame the concept was such a one time only thing, with refinements it could have become a nice little genre for the occaisional game.

Sciz

It's actually a song from the beta of Comix Zone, cut from the final product. I'm not sure what it's doing on a Sonic-related album, other than Howard Drossin working on Spinball and Comix Zone (and maybe a track or two from Sonic 3&K, but attributions for that game are nigh impossible to figure out).

Going back to this again, I read through some old Drossin interviews, and according to him he cranked out Virtual Sonic in a month... in 1993. It just took three years for the album to finally come out. So its use in Comix Zone actually comes second.

What about the game gear version? Never played that one. I guess its shit?

Haven't played it, but it does have a completely different soundtrack that isn't half bad.

I loved Spinball and wish it had been properly expanded on, more of a platforming/pinball mixture. I liked the quasi-Metroidvania structure of the tables, achieving goals to make more progress.

RK128

What about the game gear version? Never played that one. I guess its shit?

Its far more buggy and glitchy compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version in addition to the controls feeling very heavy.

You could play it yourself through the Gems Collection (GC or PS2) but I'm not really going to cover it in any major detail.

Sonic's Game Gear Ventures are really mixed, with some being good like Sonic 1/2, Triple Trouble and Tails Adventures.....and some really bad ones like Sonic Blast and well, Spinball Game Gear.

Will be covering those games soon enough but just note that Game Gear Sonic games have some mixed mixed quality games and are less consistent compared to the Genesis.

I like video pinball games a great deal but this one always felt bad to me. The scrolling and animation were not smooth, and I hated the way it controlled. The sound fx and music were also pretty grating. I remember being disappointed back when it came out as I was excited about playing it.

Piccoro

Will be covering those games soon enough but just note that Game Gear Sonic games are mixed quality wise

Sonic 1 for Game Gear has god-like Yuzo Koshiro music, though.

About Spinball, I loved this game back in the day.
One thing I liked the most was precisely the duration of the levels. Unlike other pinball games, this one felt more like a platformer adventure. The final stage and boss are so exciting because you have to climb higher and higher and a small mistake on the boss drops you almost to the beginning of the level.
Good times.

Ferr986

Its far more buggy and glitchy compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version in addition to the controls feeling very heavy.

You could play it yourself through the Gems Collection (GC or PS2) but I'm not really going to cover it in any major detail.

Sonic's Game Gear Ventures are really mixed, with some being good like Sonic 1/2, Triple Trouble and Tails Adventures.....and some really bad ones like Sonic Blast and well, Spinball Game Gear.

Will be covering those games soon enough but just note that Game Gear Sonic games are mixed quality wise

Yep, I played them all except Spinball GG, Drift 1 and Sky Patrol. Fuck, I even bought Labyrinth when I was a kid lol

I was always curious about Spinball GG because it had some differences compared to the Mega Drive version, but never went around try it myself.

RK128

Sonic 1 for Game Gear has god-like Yuzo Koshiro music, though.

About Spinball, I loved this game back in the day.
One thing I liked the most was precisely the duration of the levels. Unlike other pinball games, this one felt more like a platformer adventure. The final stage and boss are so exciting because you have to climb higher and higher and a small mistake on the boss drops you almost to the beginning of the level.
Good times.

I made a mistake with that post (meant that quality wasn't always consistent with Game Gear Sonic's), so edit it to be more correct. Love the MS/GG music for Sonic 1 and 2, so I completely agree with you man xD!

Top Bottom