• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Spinball - Pinball Mayhem!

RK128

Yep, I played them all except Spinball GG, Drift 1 and Sky Patrol. Fuck, I even bought Labyrinth when I was a kid lol

I was always curious about Spinball GG because it had some differences compared to the Mega Drive version, but never went around try it myself.

Didn't play much of the GG version at all, so this next comment might not be right sadly.
-Visuals and Music are different
-Design of the Pinball Tables slightly changed
-Game more glitchy and buggy
-(Not Sure if this is right or not) Sonic cant run/jump/move on the ground anymore
-Control is more stiff compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version
-(Not Sure) Special Stages are different

Hope this explains stuff better :).

Ferr986

Didn't play much of the GG version at all, so this next comment might not be right sadly.
-Visuals and Music are different
-Design of the Pinball Tables slightly changed
-Game more glitchy and buggy
-(Not Sure if this is right or not) Sonic cant run/jump/move on the ground anymore
-Control is more stiff compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version
-(Not Sure) Special Stages are different

Hope this explains stuff better :).

Thanks man! Yeah I remember seeing the egyptian themed special stage as a kid and thinking I should get the game for my GG. I guess I was lucky for not being able to find it lol

Piccoro

Wow, take a look at the JP cover, guys!

800px-Spinball-box-jap.jpg

Mega

Banned
This was a childhood favorite of mine on the Genesis. I never realized people had so much trouble with it. Yeah, it's a tough game but very far from impossible. I fired up it last year after 10+ years of rust from my last playthrough on the Mega Collection... took a couple of tries but I made it to the end.

I particularly like it because thematically with its music and visuals it feels like the darkest of the classic Sonic games. The approach on the mountain fortress is one of my favorite retro game intros (the glider plane looks cool). Then you guide Sonic from the bottom of the mountain fortress and deeper into the machine empire where animals are tortured and enslaved.

Compared to the usual Sonic enemies on the platformers, the bosses here are all really creepy and nightmarish (love that boss music). I was surprised and unsettled by the monstrous size of Robotnik at the final battle. It took me a bit to realize that the stage was a launch pad and he was in the sky escaping on a large rocket ship.

Glitches and Sonic's sluggishness aside (don't care, it's not a platformer), I think everyone should give this game a fair chance before dismissing it as terrible based on preconceived notions and Internet popular opinion.

AdamisFox

I've only managed to beat the game once, and I was disappointed with the ending :/
Still a nice game to pass time on.

bigedole

So this is really interesting! This programming for this game was actually done by Polygames, a company started by my Dad, Lee Actor, and his partner Dennis Koble. Here's an interesting interview that was done with my Dad back in 2008:

http://www.sega-16.com/2008/05/interview-lee-actor/

There's a lot of information regarding classic genesis programming in there, the bit that's most relevant to this conversation is:

Sega-16: Many people don’t know just how integral Polygames was in the making of Sonic Spinball. I’ve heard that Roger Hector called on your company because he needed the game done quickly. How did the scenario actually play out? When did Hector contact you?

Lee Actor: Roger is an old friend of both Dennis and mine, and I first started working with him back in about 1982. What happened was that Roger was the head of the Sega Technical Institute, and Sega of Japan was working on the next Sonic game… I think it was number three? Sometime in the spring they realized that they weren’t going to have it ready for Christmas. Now, the way this usually works is that you have to have a major product for Christmas, which is where most of your sales come from. So, Peter Morawiec of STI had done a Sonic game design, but they didn’t have the resources in-house to get it done. Roger called us and said that it was an emergency product that they needed yesterday, and that they’d put any kind of resources and money that they had to get it done.

Basically, we programmed most of it; we managed all of it, and we did what would normally take about twelve months in a normal development process and did it in about four and a half to five. We had exactly one meeting with Sega and the STI. They did assign a couple of programmers to help us out. In fact, STI put them up in a hotel so they wouldn’t be distracted by other people at work. We designed the software structure, did the bulk of the programming, and we also did it in such a way so that we could hand pieces off to other guys on the project. They did do a couple of levels, I think… I mean I don’t exactly remember the exact extent of their involvement (Ed. note: read our interview with programmer Steve Woita to find out!). We designed the software in a modular way so that other programmers could work on levels independently, and we were then able to hook it in and integrate their work to the rest of the game. STI provided the art and sound. Of course, in all the projects that we worked on we had a third party take care of the art. Dennis and I did the software design, the bulk of the programming and the project management.

The game went out on time, and I wouldn’t say it was the best game we ever did, because of the time frame. So from my perspective, yeah, we were definitely involved, to make an understatement — we were primarily responsible for bringing Sonic Spinball into existence as a top-selling product.

Sega-16: So you and Dennis had little interaction with STI members?

Lee Actor: We didn’t have much interaction with anybody. I started working, and I don’t exactly remember the details of how it was organized, but I do remember that that summer I left my house one time. We worked seven days a week, no breaks. We didn’t do anything else, of course.

Sega-16: You pride yourself on producing bug-free code, and this was quite hard to do with Sonic Spinball because of its short development cycle. How do you feel about the final product in terms of overall quality?

Lee Actor: Well, like I mentioned to you, I wouldn’t say that it was the best work we’ve ever done. I still think that PGA Tour Golf III was our best work. But it’s a playable game… I think it’s a fun game. Obviously, some people don’t think it’s a very good game, and there are others who find it a lot of fun. We could probably argue about it, but like I said, you have to take into account the development time. It was a pretty complex game as well; it was a big game. I would give it a “B” as far as the game quality is concerned. As a product, I’d give it an “A++” because they sold a lot of them.

I would love to talk about him more. I grew up playing a lot of video games, obviously, and Sonic Spinball was probably my least favorite game that he made haha. It's a close battle between Spinball and Steel Talons. My brother would disagree with me though :)

RK128

So this is really interesting! This programming for this game was actually done by Polygames, a company started by my Dad, Lee Actor, and his partner Dennis Koble. Here's an interesting interview that was done with my Dad back in 2008:

http://www.sega-16.com/2008/05/interview-lee-actor/

There's a lot of information regarding classic genesis programming in there, the bit that's most relevant to this conversation is:

I would love to talk about him more. I grew up playing a lot of video games, obviously, and Sonic Spinball was probably my least favorite game that he made haha. It's a close battle between Spinball and Steel Talons. My brother would disagree with me though :)

Talk about small world XD! Thank you for sharing this bigedole! Your dad and his studio did a solid job on the game considering its short development time. I had fun revisiting this game for the retrospective :).

Het_Nkik

Sonic Spinball controls so, so, so poorly, but I played it so damned much I learned all of its ins and outs and how to deal with the poor controls.

Got to the point where I could beat it 85% of the time I started it. When I did game over, it would always be on the last level.

Going back to this again, I read through some old Drossin interviews, and according to him he cranked out Virtual Sonic in a month... in 1993. It just took three years for the album to finally come out. So its use in Comix Zone actually comes second.
So, wait, he made the Sonic & Knuckles theme before Sonic 3 even released, using a completely different theme?

Alric

Spinball is such a great game. I wish there was more pinball games out there like it. Even the Pokemon/Metroid ones are pretty good.

bman94

Wow, take a look at the JP cover, guys!

800px-Spinball-box-jap.jpg

I love the Sonic japanese box arts. They were 90's as fuck. All of the U.S. ones were Sonic trying to look all badass. Lol at the fact they had to mention that this game was from the US.

Overall I hated this game. I'm awful at pinball games and I don't I ever got past the second level.

Assuming he's remembering correctly, then... yeah, his S&K work must have already been finished in late 1993.

The album is mentioned at the bottom of this interview, for reference. The store in question is Sega VirtuaLand, which opened in October of '93.
Weird, then, that he'd have composed a Sonic & Knuckles theme that wasn't actually gonna be used, until a year later when Sonic 3 gets split into two games and hey I guess we can use this new theme for Sonic & Knuckles now even though the existing Sonic 3 theme kinda already worked but whatever I guess

I suppose the track wasn't actually gonna be called "Sonic & Knuckles Theme", had it released in 1993 instead of 1996.

I love the Sonic japanese box arts. They were 90's as fuck. All of the U.S. ones were Sonic trying to look all badass. Lol at the fact they had to mention that this game was from the US.
Even the commercial there made sure you knew that this was "AMERIKA NO FAANKII AKUSHON!"

Awful, utterly forgettable tunes. Not surprising this album isn't more widely known. Let it fade into obscurity along with Sonic 06. Now THIS is worth listening to:

Super Sonic Dance Attack - when Sega Europe decided what Sonic needed was more glowsticks.

And: They Call Me Sonic - Dance everyone!
I would so much sooner take almost any track on Virtual Sonic over friggin' "They Call Me Sonic". That song is an abomination.

Sciz

Weird, then, that he'd have composed a Sonic & Knuckles theme that wasn't actually gonna be used, until a year later when Sonic 3 gets split into two games and hey I guess we can use this new theme for Sonic & Knuckles now even though the existing Sonic 3 theme kinda already worked but whatever I guess

I suppose the track wasn't actually gonna be called "Sonic & Knuckles Theme", had it released in 1993 instead of 1996.

There's a bit from Roger Hector that says Drossin was tapped to redo the soundtrack at the last minute when Jackson bailed. Drossin himself has said that not everything he wrote made it into the game, and that some of the music was by the Japanese staff.

My best guess is that Hector did bring in Drossin for Sonic 3 when Jackson left, but the actual dev team went on to use Jackson's material anyway and supplemented it with their own work. By the time S&K proper went into production in early 1994, all of the composition work was long since done and the staff on other projects, so the team dipped into Drossin's submissions at that point just to cover the new jingles needed to help distinguish S&K as its own game.

Tailzo

Sonic Spinball controls so, so, so poorly, but I played it so damned much I learned all of its ins and outs and how to deal with the poor controls.

Got to the point where I could beat it 85% of the time I started it. When I did game over, it would always be on the last level.
Wow, I only managed to finish it once as a kid. I remember having really wet hands and being so exhausted....

Ramune

Ha ha, wow, Spinball. Even as a kid I knew this wasn't a proper Sonic Team Sonic game, and wanted no part of it. I did sit down and play it a few years ago though. Beat it too. It was alright although learning about it's short development time, I guess I can sort of forgive it's short comings, as it was a decent challenge.

Also surprised nobody mentioned the appearance of Scratch from AoStH, and Archie Sonic #3, in one of the bonus stages. So there were some AoStH in there.

There was even an episode loosely based on Spinball too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2iaRlYuCNU

benedictm

Banned
Man I really loved this game as a kid. The iOS port is pretty decent if anyone who hasn't played it wants to give it a try!

It's hard as rocks to beat though.

Fell over myself with excitement rushed to download - adored this game a s a kid... and not available onUK store :(

Top Bottom