• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team explains why Dr. Robotnik's name changed to Eggman

I grew up with Robotnik and I still honestly think it and Eggman are basically interchangeable. "Eggman" is no less silly than "Robotnik", it's the 'nik' part of the latter that kills any pretence of it being able to be taken seriously for me. I mean, it's not a bad name, but it's not something a menacing villain would actually pick. Surely there's far better robot-themed villain names to go with.

Really, pretty much everything NoA cooked up was far too absurd, and mostly not in a good way. I'm honestly glad that Sonic Team threw that nonsense out but still kept 'Ivo Robotnik' as Eggman's real name, even if their own material wasn't much better for different reasons.

Pyrrhus

Don't understand why everybody clings to the outdated, xenophobic late Cold War name so hard. You're also killing a fun Beatles reference with the localized name. He is the Eggman, he is the walrus. Goo goo g'joob.

(Hell, take all that localized Archie/Sat AM junk and throw it in a furnace. Uncle Chuck, Chili dogs, Sally Acorn, all of it.)

Did you know Dr Eggman is a Beatles reference?

latest

This is his original design. Note the tusk like patterns coming down the front of his shirt, and when coupled with the wily moustache, you get some pretty strong Walrus imagery.

"I am the Walrus" by the Beatles featured the lines, "I am the Eggman, They are the Eggman, I am the Walrus," in the chorus.

This always made me feel a little bit better about the silly name change. goo goo g'joob, man.

Don't understand why everybody clings to the outdated, xenophobic late Cold War name so hard. You're also killing a fun Beatles reference with the localized name. He is the Eggman, he is the walrus. Goo goo g'joob.

(Hell, take all that localized Archie/Sat AM junk and throw it in a furnace. Uncle Chuck, Chili dogs, Sally Acorn, all of it.)

Literally the post before mine. I am ashamed. goo goo dejected.

latest

This is his original design. Note the tusk like patterns coming down the front of his shirt, and when coupled with the wily moustache, you get some pretty strong Walrus imagery.

"I am the Walrus" by the Beatles featured the lines, "I am the Eggman, They are the Eggman, I am the Walrus," in the chorus.

This always made me feel a little bit better about the silly name change. goo goo g'joob, man.

This is why Eggman is objectively the better name.

And you could have done like nintendo and capcom, and keep honoring the better names in the west (king koopa to Bowser and the Bison, Vega and Balrog mix and match), instead of changing it to the shit that is eggman.
BTW, thanks Mike Tyson for making Capcom fear of putting M.Bison as a name for a boxer.
And Nintendo was clever enough to keep the western names that worked well, and changing to the japanese ones that worked better.

tkscz

Never understood why not just keep it as Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. I mean, the rest of his family is Robotnik.

Pyrrhus

And you could have done like nintendo and capcom, and keep honoring the better names in the west (king koopa to Bowser and the Bison, Vega and Balrog mix and match), instead of changing it to the shit that is eggman.
BTW, thanks Mike Tyson for making Capcom fear of putting M.Bison as a name for a boxer.

How is that Tyson's fault? He didn't ask them to appropriate his name and facial features in a derogatory caricature. Besides, people that weren't completely crazy would have just changed the one offending name instead of swapping the names of three characters. Why not just make his name M. Bruiser or M. Pala or frankly anything else?

I'm fond of Bowser as a name, but I'm frankly surprised they've kept the name Goombah since that's a borderline ethnic slur against Italians.

Thabass

I always knew that they called him Eggman in Japan. But accepted the name Robotnik in the American versions. I still call him and will probably continue to call him Eggman, even though I like the Robotnik name.

This is why Eggman is objectively the better name.

I'm a huge fan myself! I am a singer/songwriter and they were the main reason I got into writing, playing, and singing at all.

It's weird the things that stick with you. Rocky Raccoon was the first song I wanted to teach myself after I got good enough.

Anyway, if you ever want to trade tunes just PM me!

Are the Chao an endangered species now? We don't see very many of them anymore.

The Chao require very clean and pure water in order to survive, so you may not see them in a lot of places. If you do go to Rio de Janeiro in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, you'll probably see a lot of them in the stands.

If the Chao are so obsessed with clean and pure water, why would they be at the Rio Games? Hasn't some sort of crazy super-bacteria been found in Rio water that has a good chance of infecting most of the swimmers?

Xbudz

Robotnik should be his real name, and what he calls himself.

Eggman should be what Sonic calls him as an insult.

Mit-

I think the way they merged them was brilliant, but unfortunately it seems more and more like they're trying to get Eggman to be the only name for him. I'd rather him consider himself Ivo Robotnik, and only be frustratingly called Eggman by his adversaries.

EDIT: beaten pretty much

Robotnik should be his real name, and what he calls himself.

Eggman should be what Sonic calls him as an insult.

MaulerX

Well, he does encapsulate little forrest creatures inside little robots and everything he does revolves around robots/machinery so Dr. Robotnik always made sense. Eggman is just focusing on his shape and I think it's pretty dumb.

Forkball

I liked how they incorporated both over time. Meanwhile at Nintendo you've got the Koopa/Bowser nonsense and don't even get started with Street Fighter.

What a bizarre question to ask in 2016. I thought it was pretty standard we named it something else, but lets go back to the original designer's.

MAtgS

Yes, clearly Silver & Elise are vastly superior characters.

You can keep the chili dogs in canon on the condition that everybody in Knothole Village died screaming and/or never really existed is also canon.
So is there an actual reason for the SatAM hate or what?

MrBadger

Chilli dogs can stay. The rest of Satam is best left forgotten

latest

Literally the post before mine. I am ashamed. goo goo dejected.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Beetles reference, that puts Eggman ahead for me.

Nudull

Banned
Eggman's more fitting now than Robotnik, especially given the intended Beatles reference. I feel the only reason people still cling onto the latter is pure nostalgia.

Guess Who

Banned
As we was referred to in Sonic 2, when no one was paying attention:

1kypOLT.jpg

People know this, too, but that doesn't change the fact that 99% of the time in Western Sonic media in the 90s, he was called Robotnik. You're just pointing out minor technicalities that don't affect the broader point in any meaningful way.

Lagamorph

To me he'll always be Dr Robotnik.

It allowed really cool backstories as well in UK meda about him originally being Dr Kintobor who was then transformed into the evil Dr Robotnik.
This was done on purpose by Sonic himself from the future in order to ensure that the lesser of two evils came about

Eggman's more fitting now than Robotnik, especially given the intended Beatles reference. I feel the only reason people still cling onto the latter is pure nostalgia.

What other reason is there for a 30-sometheing to think about Sonic if not pure nostalgia? I call him Robotnik because that's what I knew when I liked Sonic as a teenager playing the games in the early '90s. I'm not into Sonic anymore so it's natural that I'm going to refer to the characters in the way that I knew them as a kid.

mr_chun

I had a friend in middle school that was really into Japanese games, was learning Japanese, (and is now living in Japan). He always called him "Eggman," so that really doesn't seem that weird to me. I wouldn't think it weird if Capcom suddenly started calling Mega Man "Rock Man," either.

Top Bottom