• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No sub is fine. 3 & Knuckles is plenty now that I'm thinking about it. We only had a sub for the first one simply because it was... well, the first one, and it was among the first community threads on the site.

I'll write the Sonic Boom bit when I'm taking a break from studying and I'll PM it to you then, Beef. I be busy with stuff atm.

OMG Aero

Put Comic Sans anywhere near this thread or any Sonic thread and I will crush you.
schala i made you a new avatar
YdUtfDM.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's JC! :O

I finished Super Mario 3D World's main game last night and I agree with everything you said in your impressions. Incredibly polished, great level design, good physics, great controls, excellent visuals, and one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a Mario game in a while. Everything about it is so organic and natural.

My only qualm, really, is the camera. My depth perception is shit, so half the time I can't see even when I rotate.

I think I've said it before, but usually when Mario and Sonic games come out in the same year, I think the Mario one plays better and is the better platformer, but I enjoy the Sonic one more. This year, both types of thoughts go to the Mario game.

Sciz

I'll put the new thread up Saturday morning. I won't have time to do it later since I'm working until Midnight. :V

PM me stuff to add to the OP (the new cartoon, comic news, etc) and I'll add it. And decide on a thread subtitle already! My vote goes to no subtitle.

You're welcome to recycle this banner from the WC thread for the comic header.
yes I just want it to get used again

After watching the Lost World cutcenes and playing through Generations again, I think I've become accustomed to Roger Craig Smith's VA of Sonic.

Edit: Dang nabbit! Another double post!

Kokonoe

Banned
After watching the Lost World cutcenes and playing through Generations again, I think I've become accustomed to Roger Craig Smith's VA of Sonic.

Edit: Dang nabbit! Another double post!

I can't seem to ever get use to the voice, it feels out of place for me. I find his Sonic voice to be rather slow and bloaty. Not a bad voice on it's own, but it feels weird listening to it on Sonic. Reminds me of a surfer.

qq more

Yeah I'm not exactly sure how I feel about most of the cast's replacements. But Tails' VA was definitely better than the last few. Sonic's VA is kind of weird, I really prefer Ryan Drummond and Jason Griffith (he got really good right before he was placed :() over Roger. And I'm not really a fan of Knuckles' new voice either... I prefer his Adventure voices far more.

I'm really glad they kept Mike Pollock for Eggman, his voice is fantastic!

Roger's voice I find perfectly fine, it's the crappy scripts I have a problem with. The only performance from Drummond I liked was Adventure; everything after I felt he was trying too hard. Griffith was actually really good in the first two or three episodes of Sonic X but turned to crap from that all the way to 06, got decent in Secret Rings, and did great in both Unleashed and Black Knight. Jaleel White I honestly never liked as Sonic; I always find him annoying.

Junichi Kanameru's voice I had always heard, but never seriously listened to. It wasn't until my third playthrough of Unleashed where I said screw it and put on the JP audio for the first time, and holy shit, it was like an epiphany. I've been playing Sonic games with JP audio ever since.

For me, Ryan Drummond is still my favorite. He just has a certain kind of energy to his voice that I would expect out of a character like Sonic. I didn't really like Jason Griffith all that much for whatever reason. And like I said I'm growing rather fond of Roger Craig's performance. I'm not sure why as I will admit that he does sound a bit deep for Sonic, but I think his line delivery is pretty good and he really does pull of the sarcasm very well.

Scott Drier (SA 2 and Heroes) is really the only VA for Knuckles that I've genuinely liked, though I'm completely fine with Micheal McGaharn (SA1). I don't have much of an issue with his current VA, Travis Willingham, either.

Mike Pollock is definitely the best Eggman voice for me. I liked Deem Bristow, but I very much prefer the more humorous, less serious Eggman.

Kate Higgins is miles beyond the other Tails VA. No contest. I mean, I get the logic behind "Tails is the equivalent of a young boy, so hire a young boy"... they just never found a kid who could VA very well (especially not for Sonic Heroes, good lord).

TheOGB

Banned
Roger's voice I find perfectly fine, it's the crappy scripts I have a problem with.
This. RCS worked great with Colors' script, but every game since has been pretty lame, and making him sound too surfer dude, where I think Colors did a better job finding a balance. Future games could stand to make Sonic less of a tryhard.

The Adventure VAs for Knuckles were pretty boring to me (Dan 'The Man' Green da best, Travis Willingham ain't bad either). Most of the cast from those games didn't sound all that great until Heroes/Battle/Advance 3, and then that was it for them. So I guess just like the gameplay, Sega will switch up the VAs just as they start sounding good. :p

But there's a reason they kept Mike Pollock around. Dude's good.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #72
By Request!

Song: South Island ~ Lovers
Game: Sonic the Fighters
Composer: Maki Morrow

StF has some weird track names. Can't deny the quality of the music, though! This one's another Stage 1 type theme, and as such it hits that midpoint between being cheerful and bouncy and being appropriate for bashing the other guy's face in that a lot of Battle tracks fell into. The pitch bending backing synth gives it a rarely heard Hawaiian vibe to suit the tropical setting, and I'll go ahead and say that I love the drum set the game uses in general. It's so... punchy. Also a fan of the crazy harp breakdown on the loop.

HUELEN10

Wow!

Strange, isn't it?

So, I just heard the news today (from a conversation at GameStop no less). As it has been so many years since I've been here (for the record, I never once made an alt account), it will take some time before I am totally comfortable posting again; I need to get re-acclimated with the site (so, so different), old friends (which hopefully are still around), and a new ToS and rules (which will be carefully read and re-read, and re-read again). Time sometimes changes things, and though I have fallen out of love with the game series a bit since 2010, I am engrossed in the Sonic Archieverse as much as ever and would be thrilled to participate in such discussions (and Ken Penders' misdeeds)! Issue 252 marked a new beginning, one that I'd love to be a part of in discussion.

Well, time for this dude to send some PMs and read up some more.

RobbieNick

Wow!

Strange, isn't it?

So, I just heard the news today (from a conversation at GameStop no less). As it has been so many years since I've been here (for the record, I never once made an alt account), it will take some time before I am totally comfortable posting again; I need to get re-acclimated with the site (so, so different), old friends (which hopefully are still around), and a new ToS and rules (which will be carefully read and re-read, and re-read again). Time sometimes changes things, and though I have fallen out of love with the game series a bit since 2010, I am engrossed in the Sonic Archieverse as much as ever and would be thrilled to participate in such discussions (and Ken Penders' misdeeds)! Issue 252 marked a new beginning, one that I'd love to be a part of in discussion.

@_@

THE CHOSEN ONE HAS RETURNED!!

BTW, did you read Pirate Plunder Panic? Great story and the best portration of Blaze I've seen.

Here's my top five list of this past generations Sonic games. Later today, I'll be posting the worst.

Pietepiet

All of the new Sonic VA cast is so much better than any they've had before. The SA/SA2 cast was alright but these new guys take it up a notch. I wish Knuckles would get more screentime cause his voice is my favourite of the bunch.

RobbieNick

All of the new Sonic VA cast is so much better than any they've had before. The SA/SA2 cast was alright but these new guys take it up a notch. I wish Knuckles would get more screentime cause his voice is my favourite of the bunch.

I agree with all but Cindy Robinson as Amy Rose. All she's doing is imitating Minnie Mouse and adding it to Amy. Lisa Ortiz has a much better vocal range with the character.

I've got an OT to edit and I'm probably filling in for the BCT Podcast tomorrow. How am I going to find time for Persona 4 Golden? D:
Wow!

Strange, isn't it?

hiya

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Black Culture Thread podcast.

(Jeez, how many couples have met through GAF anyway?)

It's OK JC we don't need you any more
Yes, we do. :(

Wow!

Strange, isn't it?
Welcome back. I wasn't posting back when you originally were, but welcome back, nonetheless. Site's waaaaay different from when you used to post, in terms of appearance and atmosphere/tone. I hope you get readjusted as soon as you can.

I'm... trying to catch up on the comic series, though I'm four issues out because I've just been busy, so I haven't had time to write up anything lengthy at all. I legitimately actually miss when I had time to write up lengthy stuff on the comics (SU, StH and Mega Man)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef's the president.

I'm qq more is the Queen. You should be going after him. Sciz is the Royal Bard.

I dunno who the Court Jester is yet.

--

FedEx fucked up my shipment yesterday. First it was in Hong Kong, then it came to Canada, then it went to Tennessee for some reason, then it came back to Canada, and then it didn't reach back in time in order to be picked up by the courier. I just want to play Bravely Default while I'm at home today. :mad:

--

As for the VAs, I kind of don't care. I never liked the Adventure ones so I feel like the newer ones were an improvement (I mean, in that era, they were still figuring VA work out for games even at that point). At the same time, I've been playing Sonic in the six language dubs it's started to have recently. I've been moreso focusing on the Japanese dub, and I feel like they fit as well as some of the English actors too. *shrug* Makes no difference to me, really.

Someone said that Sonic's been a caricature of himself lately, and I'd agree with that. The last two scripts for him haven't worked while Colours seemed to have maintained a decent balance for him. That's why RCS's voice isn't working out well for some people; there's this dissonance between the script and what Sonic is: a) supposed to do/say, and b) how Smith realized himself as Sonic in his initial runs in Sonic Free Riders and Sonic Colours.

This is why some of us have started to say to let Ian start writing stuff for the games, since at least he has a decent grip on how the characters should be written. Because if they keep going with the nonsense they had in Lost World, then get new writers since they obviously peaked with Colours.

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
Junichi Kanameru's voice I had always heard, but never seriously listened to. It wasn't until my third playthrough of Unleashed where I said screw it and put on the JP audio for the first time, and holy shit, it was like an epiphany. I've been playing Sonic games with JP audio ever since.
I told you guys that was why I didn't think Unleashed's voice segments were crappy. I played the darn thing in Japanese and it was probably for the best since the seiyuu nailed Chip quite well.

qq more

that feel when you wake up with one of your hands completely numb and dead for a good 20 minutes because you slept wrong

and on top of that i woke up and have to help decorating outside

and im tiredddddd

Yeah, I gotta agree. Past few Sonic scripts weren't very strong. And I think I've made a decision after listening to Drummond's SA VA: I'm waxing nostalgia hardcore. That was pretty bad. Maybe it's as good as I remember it in 2 and Heroes?
Probably not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom