• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized Modern and Classic Sonics' mouths are on the sides of their faces and not the middle. CANNOT UNSEE
As it should be.

Seriously, they did a bang-up job of emulating that aspect of older Sonic titles. Actually started with Unleashed, but they nailed it there, and it carried over to Generations (and Colors, I think).

I just realized Modern and Classic Sonics' mouths are on the sides of their faces and not the middle. CANNOT UNSEE
It was deliberate after all the natter over his Adventure mouth. Interesting thing is, the mouth changes position depending on which side is close to the camera - when people were ripping the animations from the 360 ver. way back, both mouths could be seen at the same time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh gosh, I remember when I thought some of the early friends' challenges were stupid as hell.

And then I got to Vector's.

So that's what turning Omochao on is like! Those subtitle boxes really get in the way, and I thought they were somewhat irritating in the final boss fight.

Reading week next week.

SILVER WILL DIE
Part of me feels bad that you're going to waste your reading week on Sonic 2006 of all things. At the very least, waste your Family Day on it.

And part of me really wants to know your reaction when you get to the physics-based gameplay that's better than Half-Life 2's. You did say you were going to complete it all when you started this anyway.

I'll be wasting my reading week by finishing up my concurrent playthroughs of Unleashed Wii and Unleashed HD, and probably starting that new Suikoden game if it gets to me during that week. (And also, a few dates since we're not going out for Valentine's Day tomorrow; it's needlessly expensive, imo. :3)

So that's what turning Omochao on is like! Those subtitle boxes really get in the way, and I thought they were somewhat irritating in the final boss fight.

The most annoying thing, and this is something Pokecapn complains about in that video, is that there's literally no time between when you're presented with a situation, and when Omochao pops up to tell you what to do next. It takes a lot of the reward out of it because you're never given a moment to work out things for yourself.

OMFG... I didn't even notice those were just from a few hours ago. :lol :lol :lol

Sega 1991, how do you do it? I'd be laughing my head off as opposed to responding cordially. Well... your responses aren't so much cordial; they're more snarky.

I foolishly spent $60 on Sonic 2006. It was the first and only game I had for my Xbox 360. Even though it was Oblivion and Gears of War that really solidified my decision to get an Xbox, I technically bought the system for Sonic. That same 360 red ringed two weeks after I got it and was at Microsoft's repair center for over three months because they actually lost my console. I got Xbox 360 games for Christmas that I couldn't play until it was nearly March. It was a dark time.

That video acts as a little bit of absolution, in a way. If somebody wants to take that away from me, be it by claiming I'm lying (or hacking), or otherwise making excuses for the game... well, I can't let that stand without saying something.

Maybe that makes me a little bit crazy.

Don't get me wrong, though. I do laugh at a lot of the comments I get. Especially the ones from what are probably little kids who seem to be blind with rage that I dare hate on their favorite game ever.

TheOGB

Banned
Haha saw this picture on tumblr today. Spoils the end of Sonic Generations so fair warning.
Seems forced with the pics next to him, but lol

What should have happened is
Sonic comes back--and it's 06 Sonic, ending up further in the future than he was suppose to be. Upon seeing "Modern" Sonic he attacks him, yelling "YOU LIED TO ME!!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Feeling down on Valentine's Day, Sonic-GAF. I didn't even get a card or a dollar plushie. I usually get one even though we usually do something the week after (I think he forgot). :(

The most annoying thing, and this is something Pokecapn complains about in that video, is that there's literally no time between when you're presented with a situation, and when Omochao pops up to tell you what to do next. It takes a lot of the reward out of it because you're never given a moment to work out things for yourself.
I noticed that too. Omochao should give you hints when you're having trouble during the level or fighting the boss.

In Green Hill, it made sense for Omochao to tell you what to do in a tutorial sense, but I didn't expect it to tell you what to do for everything. That takes so much out of figuring things out for yourself and the satisfaction you feel thereafter. It makes traversal a little boring, I guess.

I foolishly spent $60 on Sonic 2006. It was the first and only game I had for my Xbox 360. Even though it was Oblivion and Gears of War that really solidified my decision to get an Xbox, I technically bought the system for Sonic. That same 360 red ringed two weeks after I got it and was at Microsoft's repair center for over three months because they actually lost my console. I got Xbox 360 games for Christmas that I couldn't play until it was nearly March. It was a dark time.

That video acts as a little bit of absolution, in a way. If somebody wants to take that away from me, be it by claiming I'm lying (or hacking), or otherwise making excuses for the game... well, I can't let that stand without saying something.

Maybe that makes me a little bit crazy.

Don't get me wrong, though. I do laugh at a lot of the comments I get. Especially the ones from what are probably little kids who seem to be blind with rage that I dare hate on their favorite game ever.
Yeouch. That's pretty bad. Nice to know that the video was made as a 'theraputic' kind of thing, though.

I can't believe they're claiming that you're lying and hacking to make the game look bad even though that's the way it is by default.

I like this recent comment:
REAL reason why the game is bad: It was rushed by MS and Sony because they said basically "Finish this game in time no delays or you'll never have a sonic game on our consoles again". Not kidding. Thats why the game was so fucking bad.
Why do people constantly spout this story when it's unfounded?

And this one:
I just wanna say that none of this happened on the PS3 version that I played. (the stuff in the video.) I think the voice actors are great and the story is fine.
I played the PS3 version where the framerate was poor, glitching was all over the place, and for some reason, it seems even worse than the 360 version in terms of load times. It was awful, and the narrative is garbage and cannot be salvaged. How people think Sonic 2006 actually has a passable narrative is beyond me.

This only technically proves why the game is BROKEN AS HELL, but doesn't prove why the game is necessarily bad. I mean yes a broken game can be really annoying and can lead to people saying its really bad because it's broken, but don't you think it's a personal thing to say if a game is bad or not?
I don't even know what this means.

You didn't get anything? Well then, from me to you, Schala:

a8N7q.gif

Get it? It says "bee," and it has a picture of a bee on it! :D

Why do people constantly spout this story when it's unfounded?

Well, look around at GAF. There's more than a few people who roam these boards who fight tooth and nail for their favorite videogame company, sometimes beyond the point of reason. Some people do not want to believe that blame could be laid at Sega's feet; so when somebody suggests a theory that maybe it wasn't Sega's fault, well, they latch on to that.

My understanding is, the idea that Microsoft and Sony rushed Sega to finish Sonic 2006 was born out of a statement made by Yojiro Ogawa (the man originally responsible for the Wii port of Sonic 2006 and who decided to instead make Secret Rings) where he refers to the fact that the team "felt pressured" to get the game out.

He never specifies the source of this "pressure".

Yojiro Ogawa on Sonic 2006 said:
The reason why we probably ended up with what we see today, involves a lot of reasons. One is that we did want to launch the title around Christmas, and we had the PS3 launch coming up, but we had to develop for Microsoft's 360 at the same time and the team had an awful lot of pressure on them. It was very hard for the team to try and see how we were going to come out with both versions together with just the one team. It was a big challenge.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(2006_game)

They extrapolated from his phrasing that this meant Sega was completely innocent and it was Microsoft and Sony pushing for the game to be released before it was finished. In defense of this crazy theory, Sonic 2006 is featured on first-run 360 game console boxes in the "enjoy many great titles like..." section.

But given the game was not really an exclusive for either platform and Microsoft was likely too busy actually pushing Epic to get Gears of War out, I sincerely doubt they gave a shit about Sonic 2006 beyond the notion that "this will probably sell at lot for Sega and we need a kids game to put on the back of our box so we seem diverse".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Awww... thanks, guys. You're all really sweet. <3

I plan on giving him an earful later because I actually baked stuff. Making him play Sonic games he probably won't like sounds fitting because he doesn't care for recent Sonic games much.

D:

Here, apparently these were a thing:

These are so adorable. :3

This is the best thing I've seen all day. I mean that. :lol

My understanding is, the idea that Microsoft and Sony rushed Sega to finish Sonic 2006 was born out of a statement made by Yojiro Ogawa (the man originally responsible for the Wii port of Sonic 2006 and who decided to instead make Secret Rings) where he refers to the fact that the team was "felt pressured" to get the game out.

He never specifies the source of this "pressure".

The reason why we probably ended up with what we see today, involves a lot of reasons. One is that we did want to launch the title around Christmas, and we had the PS3 launch coming up, but we had to develop for Microsoft's 360 at the same time and the team had an awful lot of pressure on them. It was very hard for the team to try and see how we were going to come out with both versions together with just the one team. It was a big challenge.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(2006_game)

They extrapolated from his phrasing that this meant Sega was completely innocent and it was Microsoft and Sony pushing for the game to be released before it was finished. In defense of this crazy theory, Sonic 2006 is featured on first-run 360 game console boxes in the "enjoy many great titles like..." section.

But given the game was not really an exclusive for either platform and Microsoft was likely too busy actually pushing Epic to get Gears of War out, I sincerely doubt they gave a shit about Sonic 2006 beyond the notion that "this will probably sell at lot for Sega and we need a kids game to put on the back of our box so we seem diverse".
That sounds like it was on Sega's side, not MS's or Sony's at all. I doubt either Sony or Microsoft would even care about a Sonic game being on their platforms because it isn't exactly a major game that either company would promote heavily (outside of Microsoft showing the diversity of the system's library).

It sounds a lot like the 'pressure' comes out of meeting fiscal year/holiday sales or something like that. Not from either console company at all.

But I guess you're right re: the company loyalty thing. That mentality never really made a lot of sense to me, but I understand why it exists.

The internet never ceases to amaze.

It's just a regular emulation of the game with one of the layers turned off, isn't it?

I do this a bunch when I'm grabbing sprites. It's also fun to do this at the end of Sonic 2, because you take out the ship and just battle the Death Egg Robot in space.

GhFfr.png

Reminds me of when Sonic the Comic took a more or less game-accurate depiction of Robotnik and then turned him into AoStH's Robotnik for no apparent reason (executive meddling, I presume)... despite the Robotnik in question being more like SatAM's Robotnik in pure villainy. Made for an interesting contrast, I suppose, but it started to get silly around Sonic Adventure where they didn't re-redesign him, but just tossed AoStH Robotnik into Adventure Eggman's outfit...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Replaying Eggmanland HD to prepare for the Wii version of Eggmanland. A few questions:

1) The idea of a hybrid level that combines Werehog and Hedgehog is a clever idea, but who came up with the level design? It's awful. :|

2) How does Robotnik even get funding for his tacky schemes? Eggmanland is a fashion disaster.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
2) How does Robotnik even get funding for his tacky schemes? Eggmanland is a fashion disaster.

Since I played Sonic 2 as a kid I've wondered that too. How does Robotnik finance all his schemes, giant robots, eggmobile gadgetry, Sonic robots, badniks and Death Eggs? Isn't he on, like, Death Egg number 3 by now? Building a massive planet-sized space hideout like that can't be cheap, especially when all banks know it'll inevitably be blown up by Sonic, so they'll refuse Robotnik loans. Maybe the financial burden of debt will be what finally defeats Robotnik.

Since I played Sonic 2 as a kid I've wondered that too. How does Robotnik finance all his schemes, giant robots, eggmobile gadgetry, Sonic robots, badniks and Death Eggs? Isn't he on, like, Death Egg number 3 by now?

Think about all the previous levels set in mines and caves. He stockpiled the resources and has been working off them or selling them ever since.

Not to mention Oil Ocean Zone!

Combichristoffersen

Think about all the previous levels set in mines and caves. He stockpiled the resources and has been working off them or selling them ever since.

Yeah, but could his involvment in the oil drilling industry, mining industry, gambling industry and chemical manufacturing industry really finance all those Death Stars and massive air bases? Maybe he builds medical equipment and industrial robots on the side to finance his shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I imagine that the mines and industrial bits in Sonic CD went bust if you went through and got the good future versions of each level.

Maybe he gets some of his money from his mom.

Combichristoffersen said:
Maybe he builds medical equipment and industrial robots on the side to finance his shit.
Why would he do something which benefits humanity when he's out to do things like break the world apart? That seems pretty counterproductive. :p

I wonder how much money he lost in the time period between Colours and Generations, then, lol.

Combichristoffersen

Why would he do something which benefits humanity when he's out to do things like break the world apart? That seems pretty counterproductive. :p

It's his dirty little secret that he can never let Sonic know; that he has to resort to building equipment that benefits humanity in order to finance his schemes. And the license costs for the software used to control and monitor his empire would be enormous, unless he's using open-source software exclusively, or he pirated it all, that scoundrel.

Can't see it due to blocked content, and trying to watch it via a web proxy was slow as shit ._. What is it?

Can't see it due to blocked content, and trying to watch it via a web proxy was slow as shit ._. What is it?

A clip from Sonic X. Eggman and his two lackeys are in jailhouse uniforms and Eggman is rapid-fire repairing appliances within seconds. Refrigerators, washing machines, vacuums, air purifiers, etc.

"Dr. Eggman! You're going way too fast! Can't you slow down?"

Eggman explains that the reason the prison's repair factory is so flooded with busted electronics is because everybody is adopting Sonic's carefree life-style. Nobody is taking care of their stuff anymore, so it breaks from misuse, and instead of stamping license plates or working the chain-gang, at this prison, you repair electronics.

"But, if Sonic's the one responsible for all of this, why don't you just stop fixing them?"

Eggman reveals that he's implanting a special microchip in all of the things he's repairing, and he'll use it to take down Sonic once and for all.

Speaking of laughing at comments I get on my Sonic 2006 video:

SupremeDominator has made a comment on Sonic the Hedgehog is a bad game, and here's why:
SILVER OWNED YOUR ASS BITCH

Sometimes I think I should start a tumblr to post these, but it's a running joke among my friends that I will never, ever, ever get a tumblr.

They also censored Rouge.

There's a scene where Amy points out that they used a bad picture on an official ID she got, at the start of Season 2 I think. 4Kids actually went through and scrubbed off the information that was originally written on the ID. That was all in English.

So... yeah.

To their credit, the unedited (to my knowledge, even down to Sonic yelling "SHIT!" at one point) episodes are available now on I think their official Youtube channel, Hulu and stuff, but they might be subbed-only.

Edit: In fact, they did this a lot more than I realized. Although I guess I don't blame them for taking out "LOVE POO!" (1:44) and some of the more Engrishy writing.

c8pWi.png

Look out, you can READ HIS NAME.

Mvlta.png

...Maybe it was a copyrighted image? ...Maybe they were scared it would give a kid a seizure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom