• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sons of the Forest 1.0 launches with creative mode, a new ending.

Draugoth

Gold Member
16776930494987.jpg

After a year in early access, you can now grab your loyal buddy Kelvin and jump back in to play the full release of Sons of the Forest. If you're wondering what's new in the 1.0 version of the terrifying survival game… well, there's kind of a lot.

Along with a new title sequence at the start of the game, there's a new choice-based ending, and more cutscenes have been added. Remember Timmy from the original The Forest? He's back and is now voiced by none other than Shawn Ashmore (Lamplighter from The Boys, Iceman from X-Men, and Jack from Quantum Break).

As for actual gameplay stuff, there's now a sickness system that comes from drinking bad water or eating spoiled food, and a couple of mutants are joining the chaos: one is named Legsy because it has a lot of legs, and the other is named Holey for reasons I don't want to speculate on. Gliders are now foldable so they can fit snugly in your tremendously massive backpack, and the world contains more paths, caves, and points of interest to discover.

Source

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Does it feel like less of a piece of shit janky early access demo than their previous 1.0?

hlm666

Does it feel like less of a piece of shit janky early access demo than their previous 1.0?
Do you mean the first game? because it hasn't had a 1.0 before.

If you are talking about the forest, sons of the forest is less janky but it's still not aaa like cod level of gunplay or elden ring level of melee combat. Regardless of the improvement if you didn't like the first game I don't think anything here is going to change your outlook.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do you mean the first game? because it hasn't had a 1.0 before.

If you are talking about the forest, sons of the forest is less janky but it's still not aaa like cod level of gunplay or elden ring level of melee combat. Regardless of the improvement if you didn't like the first game I don't think anything here is going to change your outlook.

Yeah, the first game. Was told it was great by a few people so waited for the 1.0 and it still felt like it was held together with gorilla glue. Not for me, happy for the fans though.

StueyDuck

This one seemed to land like a wet fart.

What went wrong?
The forest picked up steam after a long long release with many additions and updates and some seriously low sales prices.

I think many bought into this game not know the path it would take. So it kind of released barebones with just the base structure of the game available.

Me and a friend already finished it but we know 2-3 years from now it will be packed with tons of new content and essentially be a new game again.

If it manages to capture the same success as the first we'll only see it after heavy sales and many many updates.

Even now the game is different to what I originally played. There were no vehicles or any decent base building options originally. Just static squares and a few set buildings. Already it's looking much better

nemiroff

Gold Member
Bought the game a long time ago but been waiting for the 1.0. Idk, I might wait a few patches more.

Last edited:

hlm666

This one seemed to land like a wet fart.

What went wrong?
It was pretty light on content during early access, that's probably where it went wrong. It was a bigger island/map with less places to go and all the underground cave system was smaller and less daunting. I probably finished the story in early access in like 5 or 6 hours and then was just a base building game. The 1.0 trailer seems to have alot of things I havn't seen so maybe it might go a ways to getting it on track.

Comandr

Have been loosely following the release updates since it went into EA. I was there day one, managed to beat the game very very early. There were very few enemy types, very few tools, building was very basic. Story sequences were very bare bones. Still had a lot of fun with it. Definitely a lot of scary/tense moments in caves. Fooled around with 1.0 a little bit when it dropped. Performance is muuuch better now, and there's a ton of new things that have been added. Will wait for it to mature for another year or so and jump back in with another play through.

Top Bottom